THE BROWNS BOARD

Why so many injuries?

luke8878

1 hour ago, luke8878 said:

Now Hunt and JOK are out. Not really sure what I want to say here but seems to me injuries are up ever since the collective bargaining agreement a while back when you could only practice so much during a day and contact practice was cut back. 

Its that same with pitchers in Baseball.. They don't get the reps they used to... They rarely finish complete games anymore

3 hours ago, browns52 said:

pitchers like koufax seaver etc would not much like what is going on with baseball today.....

You know it...

Injuries mount as more players get hurt...

Bigger faster stronger. make contact more violent... anyone who thinks more contact in practice would help knows nothing.

Staff to blame?  Produce the evidence.... soft tissue vs. Joint.... non-contact vs. contct... etc.... or just bay at the moon.

On 10/18/2021 at 6:11 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Koufax blew out his arm and retired at 30, because of the workload he pulled off in the 60s.

hard to believe since he had drysdale...sutton and someone else that i can't remember...was it johnny podres....i think he was a relief pitcher...help me out.....sutton did  not blow his arm out and either did drysdale.....drysdale played 14 seasons with the dodgers...that i know...thats a long time....for that era....koufax pitched 12 seasons which is also a long time for that era...they did not have the technology back then or upgraded rehab either....keep that in mind....

On 10/19/2021 at 6:15 AM, Tour2ma said:

Injuries mount as more players get hurt...

Bigger faster stronger. make contact more violent... anyone who thinks more contact in practice would help knows nothing.

Staff to blame?  Produce the evidence.... soft tissue vs. Joint.... non-contact vs. contct... etc.... or just bay at the moon.

I remember that last year I think it was the Titans who stomped the Bills after having almost no practise due to COVID protocol. 

• Upvote 2

On 10/18/2021 at 6:11 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Koufax blew out his arm and retired at 30, because of the workload he pulled off in the 60s.

True, but as a whole, pitchers aren't pitching the innings anymore. If a boxer only fights in 7 round bouts, he is probably going to falter if all of a sudden he is going 15 rounds.  If pitching 80 pitches has been you limit, you are probably going to have a hard time throwing 115

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

if you look around the NFL - injuries are all over. The Bills sure are lucky with fewer injuries. and they still lost their last game.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/injuries/

NFL Injuries

American tackle football,  it's a tough game.

And these guys are bigger, much faster and stronger and definitely have more high impact collisions 💥  especially at the professional level.

It's no wonder the average lifespan in the NFL is about 3 years.

• Like 1

The Browns aren't the only team with significant & numerous injuries. As often stated, football is a violent game The league may need to look at more significant roster expansion, game day actives, & raising of salary cap to accommodate same.

Mike

27 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

The Browns aren't the only team with significant & numerous injuries. As often stated, football is a violent game The league may need to look at more significant roster expansion, game day actives, & raising of salary cap to accommodate same.

Mike

A violent game that has had its season extended by another game, with an 18th game a matter of when, not if.

Not smart.

Injuries or not we look worse now than we have in the last 12 years, We were favored to win but lost by like 30, we missed tackles dropped passes missed passes ran wrong routs and as if they needed it had the refs making sure they lost as well. No our finest game BUT we are .500 and the season is far from over however we lose tomorrow that will be 3 in a row and teams don't lose 3 in a row and still make playoffs. Our coach needs to understand 3 points is better than 0 points, Every time we went on 4th down and not the FG it was a SACK, Meanwhile our D gave up a 3rd and goal from the 21 . IDC who is hurt no Pro team should ever let that shit happen, Next man up? They are still a pro s they need to act like it 

16 hours ago, mjp28 said:

American tackle football,  it's a tough game.

And these guys are bigger, much faster and stronger and definitely have more high impact collisions 💥  especially at the professional level.

It's no wonder the average lifespan in the NFL is about 3 years.

I don't know that injury drops it all that much no matter what the average might be, but no doubt it has to drop it some.

On 10/19/2021 at 9:43 PM, browns52 said:

was it johnny podres..

My head is whispering Don Newcomb.... I'll check.123 starts in the top 3 does not leave much. 154 game seasons back then IIRC. Podres got 22, but at lrast his name appears.... so points to you

No Newcomb... but Osteen, not an unfamiliar name, with 287 IP .in 40 starts looks to have been the #4.

image.png.c3fb809a0df8ca725fe515b7ea46a24f.pnghave e

As in "the defenders are as or better conditioned than the Offense these days? In JB's day, nearly all the best athletes were on Offense.

Now even the biggest baddest RBs can't survive...

Draft/sign a variety pack and when initial deal is done, move on... NEVER FALL IN LOVE !

Check out the HOFers... https://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-of-the-game/positions/

RB/QB (24)

Cliff Battles (HB) 1932-1937
Sammy Baugh (QB) 1937-1952
Tony Canadeo (HB) 1941-1944, 1946-1952
Earl Clark (QB) 1931-1932, 1934-1938
Jimmy Conzelman (QB) # 1920-1929
John Driscoll (QB) 1920-1929
Bill Dudley (HB) 1942, 1945-1951, 1953
Benny Friedman (QB) 1927-1934
Harold Grange (HB) 1925-1934
Joe Guyon (HB) 1919-1925, 1927
Arnie Herber (QB) 1930-1940, 1944-1945
Clarke Hinkle (FB) 1932-1941
Earl Lambeau (HB) # 1919-1929
Alphonse Leemans (HB-FB) 1936-1943
Sid Luckman (QB) 1939-1950
George McAfee (HB) 1940-1941, 1945-1950
John McNally (HB) 1925-1938
Bronko Nagurski (FB) 1930-1937, 1943
Ernie Nevers (FB) 1926-1927, 1929-1931
Clarence Parker (QB) 1937-141, 1945-1946
Fritz Pollard (HB) 1919-1926
Ken Strong (HB) 1929-1937, 1939, 1944-1947
Jim Thorpe (HB) 1915-1917, 1919-1926, 1928
Steve Van Buren (HB) 1944-1951

Purusing the list I linked to the 1st non-skill position inductee I see is an OT...  Albert Glen Edwards (T) 1932-1940
Defender? Doug Atkins (DE) 1953-1969

QED...