THE BROWNS BOARD

🏈🏈🏈🟫🟫🟫⬜⬜⬜🟧🟧🟧Official Gameday Thread Browns at Chargers🟧🟧🟧⬜⬜⬜🟫🟫🟫🏈🏈🏈

Zombo

14 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Good news is - Browns get a 3 game home stand.Β 

Need to get back, rest and heal up.Β  Β  Cards aren't great on the lines, but they are better than last time.Β  You can pound their dline similar to how the Bolts can be done.Β  Dealing with Murray's running ass is going to be an issue.Β  Β  But you have a gift the next couple weeks - Steelers AND Broncos, coming to your house back to back.Β Β 

Two QB's who won't give us fits with their legs like we saw with Mahomes and Herbert.Β  Β 2 AFC wins to get you back into the thick of aΒ playoff spot.

The big problem I have,,, Is anytime we play a good QB.. They seem to be able to move the ball and score at will on us... That has to be corrected...Either Joe or Kevin is not making the adjustments needed. And/or the injuries in the secondary are having way to big an impact obviously... But I thought two blown coverages were the major differences yesterday besides the obvious blown call.. Then OBJ drops the ball uncharachteristicly on 4th down that couldve sustained that drive.

Β 

Another thing I find worrisome is KS leaving points on the field I.E. FG's...

39 minutes ago, nickers said:

The big problem I have,,, Is anytime we play a good QB.. They seem to be able to move the ball and score at will on us... That has to be corrected...Either Joe or Kevin is not making the adjustments needed. And/or the injuries in the secondary are having way to big an impact obviously... But I thought two blown coverages were the major differences yesterday besides the obvious blown call.. Then OBJ drops the ball uncharachteristicly on 4th down that couldve sustained that drive.

Β 

Another thing I find worrisome is KS leaving points on the field I.E. FG's...

Ageeed. But that's the danger of playing good QB's - they make defenses look silly at times.Β 

Yesterday was one parts injury, one parts inability (Walker, Harrison) one parts blown coverage and finally good offensive design by the Chargers.Β  Along with Herbert making a handful of outstanding plays.Β Β 

Injuries are the biggest concern. A healthy defense likely wins this game IMHO.Β 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Ageeed. But that's the danger of playing good QB's - they make defenses look silly at times.Β 

Yesterday was one parts injury, one parts inability (Walker, Harrison) one parts blown coverage and finally good offensive design by the Chargers.Β  Along with Herbert making a handful of outstanding plays.Β Β 

Injuries are the biggest concern. A healthy defense likely wins this game IMHO.Β 

My biggest concern is next week.. With our banged up secondary... How on earth are they gonna stop that little runt from running all over them... I have a bad feeling we will lose next Sunday...

I can’t help but wonder ifΒ Anthony Walker being in there instead of Malcolm Smith was a net negative? Something was out of sync with the defense. The blown coverages were a big difference maker, and even if Walker isn’t the guy out there in the secondary he’s supposed to be the green dot field captain guy out there.Β 

Just now, Ibleedbrown said:

I can’t help but wonder ifΒ Anthony Walker being in there instead of Malcolm Smith was a net negative? Something was out of sync with the defense. The blown coverages were a big difference maker, and even if Walker isn’t the guy out there in the secondary he’s supposed to be the green dot field captain guy out there.Β 

All I know is this - Walker struggled to flow laterally and that isn't the first time.Β  The throw to CEH for a 1st down against KC when he was parked over the left A gap comes to mind.Β 

45 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

All I know is this - Walker struggled to flow laterally and that isn't the first time.Β  The throw to CEH for a 1st down against KC when he was parked over the left A gap comes to mind.Β 

I noted on one of those blown coverages the safety looked like he was peeking towards the los, perhaps anticipating a delayed screen pass to run up and support,Β instead of stayingΒ with the guy running past him. The cadenceΒ with some of the Chargers’ plays really had our guys out of sorts.

You can’t be weak up the middle on defense. Β I’d venture to say our safeties were awful, Walker was bad and our interior Dline had more negative moments than positive moments.

We were cat and moused all day on that side- they hit a couple deep shots soΒ we gave a cushion but a large part of the game was Herbert hitting an out for 7 yards whenever he wanted it. Β As a defense that’s fine if you tighten up in the red zone or create another turnover.

We’ve had more miscommunication in our secondary over the past year and half than I’ve ever seen a Browns team have…we’ve blamed the personnel. Β Granted we’ve had some misfits back there at times. Β We are to soft back there. Β I love Ward but we need Alpha dog back there that can hold up. Β 

We lost there is no moral victories but we need to get healthy again and clean up our back 7 duties. Β I’d rather be us than the Chargers. Β That was the weakest dlineΒ front and backers we’ve gone against all year. Β We had to get holding calls on hands to the face against us to stop our run game.Β 
Β 

We had too many guys out yesterday and went toe to toe with the New Darlings of the AFC. Β 

17 hours ago, Vagitron said:

It’s across the league and it’s been as you said going on for a long time. There doesn’t need to be a investigation just hire full time fucking refs. NFL refs are PART TIME. Big bicep Ed was an attorney. It’s long overdue.

If they're full time refs- you can fire them after they make a bad call, or series of bad calls.Β  Vag- I'm sure you saw the still of the defensive PI where the receiver did everything but rip Johnson's jersey off- on 4th down no less. One of the worst calls I've seen in years, have to go back to the Saints playoff game for reference. Game changer? Absolutely. Also Tretter gets called for a phantom hold when the defender could have been called for a hands to the face.Β Β 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Injuriesο»Ώ are the biggest concern. A healthy defense likely wins this game IMHO.Β 

I agree with you but healthy looks about a million miles away. I mean, did anyone know Clowney would be out? That was news to me. Who the hell is playing CB for us? And we play the lone undefeated team this weekend? Yeesh.Β 

40 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

I agree with you but healthy looks about a million miles away. I mean, did anyone know Clowney would be out? That was news to me. Who the hell is playing CB for us? And we play the lone undefeated team this weekend? Yeesh.Β 

Our offense is a tough match for anyone. No one wants to play that offense. Β Defenders have to tackle Chubb and Hunt, we present mismatches with our TEs and our line is technical and then it’s nasty in the 4th quarter barring the Refs calling phantom holds. Β We put defenses through stuff they don’t see all year. Β You can key on the run and Baker can hurt you. Β Solving us is not simple…some of my arrogant Charger friends thought just load the box on the Browns. They don’t want to see us again especially if we are just slightly healthier.

Defense we have some issues.

Last year it was lack of speed and mental breakdowns in the back 7. Β This year it is mental breakdowns. Β We need to figure who is going next Sunday (secondary wise) run the film on the Cards and sort out assignments based on different alignments. Β The whole room needs to be apart of it. Β We had two long touchdownsΒ against us that could have been thrown by HS QBs- you can’t have that at this Β level and in game of that magnitudeΒ Β 

And Backs turned to the QB and wild upfield rushes is not the way to go this week against Murray or down the road against Lamar.

And Down the road we have some tough decisions…Can we count on Denzel anymore? Β Is Harrison going to be hurt or do something stupid and get ejected? Β John Johnson needs to figure things out too. Β 

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

If they're full time refs- you can fire them after they make a bad call, or series of bad calls.Β  Vag- I'm sure you saw the still of the defensive PI where the receiver did everything but rip Johnson's jersey off- on 4th down no less. One of the worst calls I've seen in years, have to go back to the Saints playoff game for reference. Game changer? Absolutely. Also Tretter gets called for a phantom hold when the defender could have been called for a hands to the face.Β Β 

Yep, it’s been bad. I give bosa a lot of credit for speaking out about it recently.

7 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I noted on one of those blown coverages the safety looked like he was peeking towards the los, perhaps anticipating a delayed screen pass to run up and support,Β instead of stayingΒ with the guy running past him. The cadenceΒ with some of the Chargers’ plays really had our guys out of sorts.

I'm trying to think of the one you're talking about?Β  If you're talking about the bomb on the deep post, it looked* (subject to further review) cover 2.Β  Β The backside half field got caught looking at a dig developing in front of him and LAC snuck the post from the backside behind him.Β  Β Β 

Β 

3 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Clowney being a game-time decision would lead me to believe he's closer to returning than to not playing.Β  A week off might do wonders.Β  Β As for who is playing CB for us?Β  Β 

Well... we all know I clamored for the Browns to resign Money Mitch.Β  Β He's dependable (playing pretty well for HOU right now) and had back to back complete seasons without missing a game.Β  Β As the saying goes - "Can never have too many corners".Β  Β  Mitch would have made a world of difference yesterday IMHO.

8 hours ago, nickers said:

My biggest concern is next week.. With our banged up secondary... How on earth are they gonna stop that little runt from running all over them... I have a bad feeling we will lose next Sunday...

The secondary doesn't concern me in terms of slowing down Kyler's legs - the front 7 does.Β  Β As the Niners showed yesterday, an athletic and healthy front tends to frustrate Murray a good deal.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, nickers said:

My biggest concern is next week.. With our banged up secondary... How on earth are they gonna stop that little runt

......been thinking a bit....can't come up with anything...aside from rush the passer.

Berry invested a lot into our secondary this offseason.Β  But once again the starters are watching in street clothes.Β  And the guys that are playing, half of them are gimpy.Β  .Β 

----------Β  Β Did ya see the play where Greedy (I think it was Greedy) was defending a guy and they both were going down out of bounds....and the Charger wrapped his arm around Greedy and made sure to push Greedy into the ground with force?Β  I saw that and said to myself, Oh maan!Β  He's not gonna wanna play anymore!Β  But it seemed that Greedy kept coming back into the game.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Defense we have some issues.

Last year it was lack of speed and mental breakdowns in the back 7. Β This year it is mental breakdowns. Β We need to figure who is going next Sunday (secondary wise) run the film on the Cards and sort out assignments based on different alignments. Β The whole room needs to be apart of it. Β We had two long touchdownsΒ against us that could have been thrown by HS QBs- you can’t have that at this Β level and in game of that magnitudeΒ Β 

And Backs turned to the QB and wild upfield rushes is not the way to go this week against Murray or down the road against Lamar.

And Down the road we have some tough decisions…Can we count on Denzel anymore? Β Is Harrison going to be hurt or do something stupid and get ejected? Β John Johnson needs to figure things out too. Β 

Β I evenΒ tried this read with some...Β  Β  Β soothingΒ background Christmas music ?Β Β πŸ€“

Β 

The Joe Woods defensive ... IslandΒ of Misfit ToysΒ Β πŸ–οΈΒ (hit this bullseye)

Β 

ughhhhhhhΒ  yeah......Β Β I'm still notΒ over SundayΒ !Β πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈΒ  πŸ™†β€β™‚οΈΒ πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ

I'll try again on WednesdayΒ πŸͺΒ  Β  Β #King Moonracer (and don't peek at the injury report)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hx214 said:

So on the 3rd and 10 to basically ice the game, did Stefanski get to cute or does he really just not trust Baker?...

With both Conklin and Wills out, Stefanski said that he was concerned in that spot to allow them to try and protect Baker in such an obvious passing down.Β 

• Like 1

And here's the thing about the Browns/Stefanski's offense:

It can produce a good amount of points, consistently.Β 

But it is not an offense built to come back from being down, especially late in games. That's the Achilles Heel of this offense. It's similar, in a weird way, to Baltimore's offense.Β 

Edit: The last sentence didn't age well, but in general I still stand by it.Β πŸ˜‰

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I'm trying to think of the one you're talking about?Β  If you're talking about the bomb on the deep post, it looked* (subject to further review) cover 2.Β  Β The backside half field got caught looking at a dig developing in front of him and LAC snuck the post from the backside behind him.Β  Β Β 

Β 

Clowney being a game-time decision would lead me to believe he's closer to returning than to not playing.Β  A week off might do wonders.Β  Β As for who is playing CB for us?Β  Β 

Well... we all know I clamored for the Browns to resign Money Mitch.Β  Β He's dependable (playing pretty well for HOU right now) and had back to back complete seasons without missing a game.Β  Β As the saying goes - "Can never have too many corners".Β  Β  Mitch would have made a world of difference yesterday IMHO.

The secondary doesn't concern me in terms of slowing down Kyler's legs - the front 7 does.Β  Β As the Niners showed yesterday, an athletic and healthy front tends to frustrate Murray a good deal.

Yeah.. I haven't seen a lot of their games so its hard to get a feel on him.. Our D line will have to play the game of its life... That kid moves like fire fly...

10 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I'll be at the game and am expecting to see Murray run for over 100 yards.

Β 

If I was a GM, I wouldn't look at a qb who can't run.Β  It's a part of todays game that we don't have.

Tom Brady is almost what 45 years old and still winning Super Bowls. Just because running quarterbacks are a part of the game doesn't mean we have to have one. We just need one that can execute our offense to a T. And we have that and his name is Baker. He just has to be the piece that puts us over the top not the guy who does just enough. Whether he takes the next step remains to be seen.

• Upvote 1

We just aren’t consistent this year on either side of the ball. And injuries won’t help either.Β 
Β 

I wouldn’t be surprised if we are scraping for a playoff birth this year. Lots of good teams in the scheduleΒ and lots of browns injuries.Β 
Β 

it’s also Stefanski. He outsmarts himself in big moments and he’s just going to have to learn on the job. We forget he’s only year 2 as a head coach.Β 

25 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

C0195BD5-3E90-4C28-87D4-8689332FD61C.jpeg

It appeared that wayΒ after that Chubb TD run. Β It was like a WWE narrative…flipΒ the script to bring the audience back into it. Β First we need to stop this powerful running game. Β Holding calls on back to back drives. Β Then aid the Charger strength passing game by callingΒ PIs and defensive holds on us.Β 
Β 

Come to the aid of the hero Justin Herbert and take down villain Baker MayfieldΒ 

Β a cutup Defensive all 22 peekΒ ..Β Credit Justin Herbert.. he's Good ! in many area's

Β https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/LongFormArticle/all22-browns-defense-against-chargers-172953955/#172953955_1

On 10/11/2021 at 9:40 PM, Dutch Oven said:

With both Conklin and Wills out, Stefanski said that he was concerned in that spot to allow them to try and protect Baker in such an obvious passing down.Β 

I actually LOVED the draw play on 3rd and long there. There's two problems:Β  One, Hunt missed the read. He went inside and he should have gone outside. I've watched it 20 times and it's painful. It's beyond painful. We had a blocker outside with one defender unaccounted for. Hunt gets at least 7 yards, possibly 10-15. Go watch it...it's...it's....*sigh*

Secondly, I loved the draw play IF WE WENT FOR IT ON 4TH DOWN. You couldn't give the effing ball back right there! Are you FREAKING KIDDING ME?! Your defense hasn't stopped them in forever and gave up 3 consecutive TD drives and you PUNTED THE BALL? YOU PUNTED THE DAMN BALL??! If you go for it and don't get it, you still have your TOs and 3 minutes and they have the ball at our 25ish. But what if we DO GET IT?! It's 4th and 6 to WIN THE GAME. Wouldn't you rather have your OFFENSE on the field compared to your pathetic defense? You had two busted coverages for 50+ yard TDs! Who does that?!Β 

So your crappy punter kicks the ball and the Bolts get it at their 47 instead of our 27 yard line if we don't convert the 4th down? Wtf? Somebody please FREAKING TELL ME what sense that makes?Β 

13 hours ago, Neo said:

Tom Brady is almost what 45 years old and still winning Super Bowls. Just because running quarterbacks are a part of the game doesn't mean we have to have one. We just need one that can execute our offense to a T. And we have that and his name is Baker. He just has to be the piece that puts us over the top not the guy who does just enough. Whether he takes the next step remains to be seen.

No doubt.Β  After Tom Brady, who?Β  Also, how may young qbs are you talking about?Β  Either way, it is still a dimension lacking, Tom Brady or not. The reality is these QB's aren't getting hurt running the ball.Β  They know when to slide or get OB.

Another misconception is based on old time QBs who never ran the ball getting hurt when they did.Β  Lamar Jackson has been running the ball since he was 8 years old. He knows how to run.Β  Also, how many qbs in the past got totally racked by standing like a statue in the pocket?

Β 

No doubt, we didn't want Bernie Kosar running the ball. With what HS and colleges play today, I am not sure Bernie would have even been given much of a shot at playing QB today.

It is clear our D need plenty of work. Chargers went for it on 4th down at their own 24Β  and we didn't even pretend to try to stop them, They went for 2 and again got it with no trouble what so ever, and even with the poor playing of our D the refs STILL bailed them out on that horse shit PI call, How many other teams have ever had bad calls that cost teams the game? Sur other teams have had that happen however nobody has as many of those calls than us. AND IT always happens to us. The 2013 game against the Pats, we had that game won until the refs took over the last minute of the game. and we have has that shit happen many times before and many times after.Β 

10 hours ago, ballpeen said:

how many qbs in the past got totally racked by standing like a statue in the pocket?

Roman Gabriel would be one.

I think a good comparison would be Bernie Kosar and John Elway.Β  Which would you really rather have, talent wise?Β  Only one of 'em might convert a third and long when the receivers are blanketed.Β  But there isn't anything wrong with Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Dan Marino, or even Bernie Kosar.Β  You can win with those guys.

Is itΒ kinda bothersome when your local writers miss writing about their own positiveΒ studΒ players? Instead they choose to stirΒ pots?Β Β πŸ₯„

This stud is on pace to rumble to...Nick Chubb is on pace for 1,778 rushing yards/14 rushing touchdowns and has jet'd to 28 missed tackles to date, while nobody else has more than 20 😀

Β 

Β 

Well, lets look elsewhere..Β  Β Β https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/nick-chubb-cleveland-browns-stats-skill-set