THE BROWNS BOARD

The Offensive Line

Orion

All we've heard all offseason is how great the Browns offensive line is.  

So, it's 4 weeks into the season and the line has been hit by injuries.  Fortunately, only one starter is gimpy but it's our left tackle, first round pick.  And Wills had an mri yesterday and still today nobody knows the results.  That's scary because if he's going to be out, his backup has been out (unless Hubbard can come back this week).  Last week we played our 2021,  110th overall pick at left tackle when Wills went out.

And today Nick Harris was put on IR (followed by the team signing a guard off somebody's practice squad).  So, I'll ask, Who's our backup center?

Our OL cannot take any more injuries because we are razor thin on the bench.  And although the OL helps Chubb and Hunt get their yards, it's Baker that needs the OL much more.  He needs a clean pocket in order to make accurate throws.  If he feels pressured, he's gonna sail it high...and some of them will start landing in someone's arms instead of the ground.

It's a loong season.  And our remaining starters have got to stay healthy for all of it.

This again? 🤓

JC Tretter has not missed a NFL start in 5 years with tBrowns (68 of 68 games)... They'd have to remove a knee before he misses a game..(search GB) He will be on the injury report tomarrow & until he retires 😎 don't sweat it... 💧 (Sunday will be Tretter's 100th career game)

Sweat who play's LT  😬.. And Bosa will take a swing at both// (Garrett/Clowney ain't a bad moving practice bag) 

both Dunn & Hance play back-up Center... a true coaches decision... & Callahan's :- )   (sign Teller & find a Center... Harris ain't it)

Bill Callahan pressers, speaks large of Coach Peters.. https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/how-scott-peters-has-used-his-deep-mma-knowledge-to-help-make-the-browns-o-line-

57 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

(sign Teller & find a Center... Harris ain't it)

He doesn't appear to be.  He's small and regularly hurt.

...Tretter is a trooper.  He played hurt last year.  What did he have?  High ankle?   Anyhow, he wasn't as good as he was when healthy.  Our OL was banged up bad last year, with Baker introducing himself to a starting lineman the day before the game.  And Conklin was gimpy for a while.  It just seems that we're headed towards that slippery slope.  And I'm afraid of the current state of our backup talent right now.

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'd like to see the Browns add some young OLinemen in the upcoming offseason, especially if you consider the ages, contract statuses and salaries

Yup.  Gotta keep churning the backups until you have guys talented enough to take over a spot, for good, if need be.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Dunn and Hance played some center in preseason. I honestly might be more confidant with one of them over Harris anyway, although l’m not sure they’ll be as agile as either Tretter or Harris. Stef seems to like a center who can pull.

I agree.  I don't think Harris is the answer to anything.  I just don't think he is big enough.

• Thanks 1

LT playing hurt, Center doesn’t practice all week, lack of a vertical passing threat lately and everyone knows about our intentions to run the ball.  Yet we do it well and we’ve given the QB solid protection to scan the field and throw errant passes way down the field.

Maybe if we replace Mayfield with Tribusky the line will block better  

• Haha 1

On 10/6/2021 at 8:07 AM, ballpeen said:

I agree.  I don't think Harris is the answer to anything.  I just don't think he is big enough.

Harris went to IR. Browns add an OG.

https://www.brownsnation.com/browns-add-guard-hjalte-froholdt-move-nick-harris-to-ir/

• Thanks 1

The G signed replacing Harris is Hjalte Froholdt from Texans PS.  He did pretty well in 2020 in his 61 snaps; none in 2021 so far.  Not making Texans bench isn't a great sign.

Depth at present is Hudson, Dunn, Hance, Froholdt.  Also those 3 UDFA's are being looked at.

Drew Forbes had a serious knee injury and is also on IR.. unless injury settlement results in him returning in 2022 we've seen the last of him bc he was 2019 6th round and thus this was his final yr on the rookie contract.