Jump to content
EastSideDawg

the browns plan at QB going forward.

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Amen...

Not to mention that most of the elites have a measure of trade control and right now none would want to head to CLE.

Not too mention... Some Elite QB's have never won a sausage.. Kelly,Marino,Rivers and you could probably throw Tarkenton in there too... By the way... I hope your doing ok...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

I'm surprised so many people took this thread seriously.  Mitch Trubisky is the answer?  You stay classy, San Diego.

I things need  to be put into perspective in regards to the "thread". Baker has EVERY piece , not only for a young quarterback, but an elite quarterback to thrive with. He has elite receivers, backs, and tight ends, and now an emerging defense. 

I am a supporter of Baker but there is no reason now that he can't take the next step. I think the criticism he is getting is fair and I think even he knows he has to be better.

He certainly has more weapons around him than any other Browns qb in the new era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Neo said:

I things need  to be put into perspective in regards to the "thread". Baker has EVERY piece , not only for a young quarterback, but an elite quarterback to thrive with. He has elite receivers, backs, and tight ends, and now an emerging defense. 

I am a supporter of Baker but there is no reason now that he can't take the next step. I think the criticism he is getting is fair and I think even he knows he has to be better.

He certainly has more weapons around him than any other Browns qb in the new era.

If you consider the relative peanuts he makes today, in comparison to what he will get once his rookie contract is up, he'll probably never have it as good as he has it now. Once he makes real bank, the roster decisions get hard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're not winning a Super Bowl with Baker Mayfield. Period. He's not an elite QB and he can't close games. He has way too many games where he looks like a bottom five QB. There's no way he can string 3-4 solid together against great teams when needed in a Super Bowl run. 

I love this 2021 Browns team. It's the best team we've had since the 1980's and I love them no matter what. But a Super Bowl isn't happening with Baker. Our best option is to do exactly what the Rams did this offseason. The Rams had the talent to be Super Bowl contenders this year, but realized they blew chunks at QB with Goff. They made a deal for Stafford for Goff plus two 1st round picks and a third in the offseason. The Browns need to do the same for Aaron Rodgers, assuming things don't end with a Super Bowl win for GB this year. Baker plus a couple first round picks for Rodgers. All time great QB's like Rodgers can play into their early 40's and that would give us a 3-4 year window with Rodgers for multiple shots at a Super Bowl. I don't want to settle for first or second round exits in the playoffs every year. 

Side note for Baker this year: I've dislocated my left shoulder 50+ times in my younger sports days. Baker most likely has a torn labrum. The only way to fix it is surgery, even then it's not guaranteed to be 100% successful and has a higher rate for reinjury. I have no doubt that it is affecting him physically and mentally (the fear it's always going to pop out, it hurts like a mf'er). 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BernieSuperbowl said:

We're not winning a Super Bowl with Baker Mayfield. Period. He's not an elite QB and he can't close games. He has way too many games where he looks like a bottom five QB. There's no way he can string 3-4 solid together against great teams when needed in a Super Bowl run. 

I love this 2021 Browns team. It's the best team we've had since the 1980's and I love them no matter what. But a Super Bowl isn't happening with Baker. Our best option is to do exactly what the Rams did this offseason. The Rams had the talent to be Super Bowl contenders this year, but realized they blew chunks at QB with Goff. They made a deal for Stafford for Goff plus two 1st round picks and a third in the offseason. The Browns need to do the same for Aaron Rodgers, assuming things don't end with a Super Bowl win for GB this year. Baker plus a couple first round picks for Rodgers. All time great QB's like Rodgers can play into their early 40's and that would give us a 3-4 year window with Rodgers for multiple shots at a Super Bowl. I don't want to settle for first or second round exits in the playoffs every year. 

Side note for Baker this year: I've dislocated my left shoulder 50+ times in my younger sports days. Baker most likely has a torn labrum. The only way to fix it is surgery, even then it's not guaranteed to be 100% successful and has a higher rate for reinjury. I have no doubt that it is affecting him physically and mentally (the fear it's always going to pop out, it hurts like a mf'er). 

So please.. Tell us how many SB's Phillip Rivers and Dan Marino won?... Unhuh... Move along Jr.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, nickers said:

So please.. Tell us how many SB's Phillip Rivers and Dan Marino won?... Unhuh... Move along Jr.

You've gone full Retard on us. Are you saying Baker Mayfield is as good as Dan Marino or Phillip Rivers? Dan's a hall of famer and Rivers will be in the hall of fame. Baker isn't even close to those two at this point, especially Marino. I assume you're a Baker nuthugger, and no, I won't be going anywhere son. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I'll take prime Andy Dalton over Spergon Wynn. 

I'd take prime Andy Dalton literally over any QB the Browns have trotted out there since 1999.

To be sure, there's one huge exception I'd make if we could steal A.A.Ron Rodgers in the offseason. I'd trade Mayfield and 1st round picks for 4 years of Rodgers in a New York minute. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BernieSuperbowl said:

You've gone full Retard on us. Are you saying Baker Mayfield is as good as Dan Marino or Phillip Rivers? Dan's a hall of famer and Rivers will be in the hall of fame. Baker isn't even close to those two at this point, especially Marino. I assume you're a Baker nuthugger, and no, I won't be going anywhere son. 

No... I didn't say he was good or better... You have poor reading skills... What I'm saying is those guys were ELITE... And couldn't win a goddamn sausage!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BernieSuperbowl said:

You've gone full Retard on us. Are you saying Baker Mayfield is as good as Dan Marino or Phillip Rivers? Dan's a hall of famer and Rivers will be in the hall of fame. Baker isn't even close to those two at this point, especially Marino. I assume you're a Baker nuthugger, and no, I won't be going anywhere son. 

No we're not.  But OTOH, we're not playing Madden either. Rodgers isn't going anywhere,  and certainly not to Cleveland. As I mentioned earlier, the only top QB that's currently available is Deshawn Watson. Screw that with a shitty attitude and a truck load of legal problems.  

You're apparently one of those glass is half empty folks. "All we need is a HOF QB, and it's multiple Super Bowl wins". Bullshit, those mentioned HOFers never got the big prize. That's what Nickers and me are saying. 

You know some QBs who HAVE won a Super Bowl? Jim Plunket, Jim McMahon, Jeff Hostetler, Doug Williams, Brad Johnson, and Trent Dilfer. That's who. It's a TEAM game. Are you trying to tell us Baker sucks worse than any/all of those guys? Sure, having a  HOF QB increases your odds, BUT IT'S NO GUARANTEE.  And FYI,  they don't grow on trees either.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hoorta said:

No we're not.  But OTOH, we're not playing Madden either. Rodgers isn't going anywhere,  and certainly not to Cleveland. As I mentioned earlier, the only top QB that's currently available is Deshawn Watson. Screw that with a shitty attitude and a truck load of legal problems.  

You're apparently one of those glass is half empty folks. "All we need is a HOF QB, and it's multiple Super Bowl wins". Bullshit, those mentioned HOFers never got the big prize. That's what Nickers and me are saying. 

You know some QBs who HAVE won a Super Bowl? Jim Plunket, Jim McMahon, Jeff Hostetler, Doug Williams, Brad Johnson, and Trent Dilfer. That's who. It's a TEAM game. As you trying to tell us Baker sucks worse than any/all of those guys? Sure, having a  HOF QB increases your odds, BUT IT'S NO GUARANTEE.  And FYI,  they don't grow on trees either.

Unless Green Bay wins a super bowl, he's 110% going SOMEWHERE else. He's literally said he's on a one year plan with Green Bay. The problem Cleveland can't help, despite likely being the best location for him football wise, is the dude wants a lifestyle change.

Green Bay and Cleveland are pretty similar towns, and if a big reason he's looking for a new spot is to get out of cold and a bigger market, Cleveland just ain't it. Miami might make for a serious contender, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Unless Green Bay wins a super bowl, he's 110% going SOMEWHERE else. He's literally said he's on a one year plan with Green Bay. The problem Cleveland can't help, despite likely being the best location for him football wise, is the dude wants a lifestyle change.

Green Bay and Cleveland are pretty similar towns, and if a big reason he's looking for a new spot is to get out of cold and a bigger market, Cleveland just ain't it. Miami might make for a serious contender, though.

my guess is SF they pushed for him this offseason. players love kyle and they have a good roster and a similar system.

its a lock in my eyes

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SkippinTurtles said:

😉Chubb and Hunt run the offense.  Package OBJ and Landry to Frisco.  They'll fit in.

 

any coincidence the offense started sucking when jarvis went out ? hmmmmm

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am shocked over some of these comments, We made the EF'N PLAYOFFS and you want to make a change? We WON ZERO GAMES a few years back and went from 0-16 to 7-8-1 in 1 season better the next and the playoff the 3rd and you are talking bout SB? Ya let's just draft a new qb and start from scratch. while were at it let's trade Chubb for a 4th round pick and Hunt for a 6th why not? Were not going to win anything anyhow this year so why not? why keep players if we can't win it all right now? Maybe a SB maybe not but a AFC North Championship is something we can win now. If We make the playoffs again this year i will be happy that we are competing. We have never even been close to the SB since the late 80's we make the playoffs and you want to get rid of the QB, Go away be a troll somewhere else. Go convince Steelers to give up on Ben or something. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nickers said:

No... I didn't say he was good or better... You have poor reading skills... What I'm saying is those guys were ELITE... And couldn't win a goddamn sausage!

Anybody with half a brain knew what you meant only a complete idiot would try to spin what you said. You made a great point. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a bigger concern than Baker, At what point does the coach understand that 3 points is better than 0 points? At what point does he see we never even came close picking up the first or the TD when we went for it? Sack Sack Sack incomplete pass and a rush for a loss. 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2021 at 7:58 AM, EastSideDawg said:

i don't think baker is going to be the guy going forward,  if he was berry would have signed him already.  so what should we do?

1. baker is not worth 40 mil a year.. berry knows it.

2. this QB draft class sucks not really anyone of note. Maybe they draft a developmental QB?

3. free agents pretty much all older guys and retreds..... except for Mitch Trubisky. 

 

that is my vote let baker play his 5th year while grooming trubisky as a backup plan if things dont go well as well as drafting a Developmental QB in next years draft.

the only change at qb that i would want would be watson....and dat ain't gonna happen....i'd take him over mayfield any day of the week.....somehow i envision watson  and obj on the same page....don't know why but its a hunch....anything is better right now at this point.....boy, i would love to see something good with mayfield and obj...every week i wake up thinking...ok this is the game they finally look good....and it never happens...its like fucking groundhog day....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the "these elite players didn't win a Super Bowl so it's cool if so and so isn't elite" arguments.

I guess I'm just a weirdo, you know, kind of wanting the most important position in all sports on my favorite team manned by someone elite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Browns fan 1977 said:

I am shocked over some of these comments, We made the EF'N PLAYOFFS and you want to make a change? We WON ZERO GAMES a few years back and went from 0-16 to 7-8-1 in 1 season better the next and the playoff the 3rd and you are talking bout SB? Ya let's just draft a new qb and start from scratch. while were at it let's trade Chubb for a 4th round pick and Hunt for a 6th why not? Were not going to win anything anyhow this year so why not? why keep players if we can't win it all right now? Maybe a SB maybe not but a AFC North Championship is something we can win now. If We make the playoffs again this year i will be happy that we are competing. We have never even been close to the SB since the late 80's we make the playoffs and you want to get rid of the QB, Go away be a troll somewhere else. Go convince Steelers to give up on Ben or something. 

You beat me to it, thought wise. In the depths of what was it 1-31?  We would have been ecstatic for a win- any win. Now guys want to grade wins on style points? Sheeze...  A win is a win is a win- they all count the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Baker's Instagram,

 

View image on Twitter

He’s 27-24, incl. playoffs as a starter. His 12,050 yards in his 1st 4 seasons is a franchise record, so is his current 89.1 career passer rating. He’s not perfect but he’s doing things Browns QBs haven’t done in generations

 

tweet of the day... 

 
oRuCbNzH_normal.jpg
 
To all the Browns fans bitching about things this year, please stop. We are tied for the division lead. We have the #2 defense in the NFL. Also, we have won as many games in 4 games this season as Hue Jackson did in 40. Can’t we just enjoy having nice things

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

I love the "these elite players didn't win a Super Bowl so it's cool if so and so isn't elite" arguments.

I guess I'm just a weirdo, you know, kind of wanting the most important position in all sports on my favorite team manned by someone elite. 

Sure, who wouldn't? Problem is those elite guys are rather hard to come by. And once they're established as "elite" they usually don't change teams unless they're pretty much over the hill, or deemed as not "elite" enough. .  

Sorry- but the Browns are going to have to play the hand they're dealt- with Baker at the controls. Anything else is Madden wishful thinking. Yeah I'd love to see the ghost of Otto Graham resurrected, but I doubt there's anyone left on this board who's old enough to actually remember seeing Otto play.  

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many people sat and said Trent Dilfer will never win a SB? I said sat because the arm chair QB out there, But guess what, he was very bad yet he has a ring. We have great guys on D, we have a top notch O line and the very best in the NFL running game so if you don't think Baker can be the SB QB you are a idiot, 2 pro bowl wr a trio of good TE, This team is capable of getting to the SB, granted it might not be because of the QB but if we were to win it all this year how many of you would still be crying about Baker? I remember having this conversation last year and people were saying if we made the playoffs they would be happy yet we made the playoffs and still you are not happy smh Joe Flacco won a SB yet nobody wants him, That guy that is known for taking a Knee played in a SB nobody wants him, Baker is the best qb from our life time and you want a change? Are you even a Browns fan? Does not sound like it as we said 1-31 was only a few seasons ago, Our Offense has been fun to watch since baker took over. I bleed for this team no matter what, The SB is not the most important thing to me beating the Steelers and winning the North is. Not being the laughing stock of the NFL is also important. GO BROWNS GO CAVS AND INDIANS FOREVER GUARDIANS NEVER and also a shout out to the Lake Erie Monsters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Browns fan 1977 said:

How many people sat and said Trent Dilfer will never win a SB? I said sat because the arm chair QB out there, But guess what, he was very bad yet he has a ring. We have great guys on D, we have a top notch O line and the very best in the NFL running game so if you don't think Baker can be the SB QB you are a idiot, 2 pro bowl wr a trio of good TE, This team is capable of getting to the SB, granted it might not be because of the QB but if we were to win it all this year how many of you would still be crying about Baker? I remember having this conversation last year and people were saying if we made the playoffs they would be happy yet we made the playoffs and still you are not happy smh Joe Flacco won a SB yet nobody wants him, That guy that is known for taking a Knee played in a SB nobody wants him, Baker is the best qb from our life time and you want a change? Are you even a Browns fan? Does not sound like it as we said 1-31 was only a few seasons ago, Our Offense has been fun to watch since baker took over. I bleed for this team no matter what, The SB is not the most important thing to me beating the Steelers and winning the North is. Not being the laughing stock of the NFL is also important. GO BROWNS GO CAVS AND INDIANS FOREVER GUARDIANS NEVER and also a shout out to the Lake Erie Monsters. 

Thank you for bringing sanity to this thread..

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hoorta said:

Sure, who wouldn't? Problem is those elite guys are rather hard to come by. And once they're established as "elite" they usually don't change teams unless they're pretty much over the hill, or deemed as not "elite" enough. .  

Sorry- but the Browns are going to have to play the hand they're dealt- with Baker at the controls. Anything else is Madden wishful thinking. Yeah I'd love to see the ghost of Otto Graham resurrected, but I doubt there's anyone left on this board who's old enough to actually remember seeing Otto play.  

Oh, I get it. At the end of the day, I think most of Baker's problems recently are because he's more injured than it has been let on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dutch Oven said:

Oh, I get it. At the end of the day, I think most of Baker's problems recently are because he's more injured than it has been let on.

He admitted when pushed that he had been wearing a "harness" of some kind on his left shoulder during the game. But he did not think that affected him into a poor showing since he also admitted that he missed some very open receivers badly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just don't doubt Baker.  It's a fool's errand. What's important - is that his team doesn't doubt him.

He's bounced back and proved people wrong his whole career. That kind of moxie, leadership, and elite mental toughness is priceless.

https://www.brownsnation.com/baker-mayfield-has-a-message-for-his-doubters/

Baker Mayfield Has A Message For His Doubters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Just don't doubt Baker.  It's a fool's errand. What's important - is that his team doesn't doubt him.

He's bounced back and proved people wrong his whole career. That kind of moxie, leadership, and elite mental toughness is priceless.

https://www.brownsnation.com/baker-mayfield-has-a-message-for-his-doubters/

Baker Mayfield Has A Message For His Doubters

Him posting this has me more worried than a shitty game or two. 

Who cares what anybody but Kevin and Berry think.  Stefanski knows he isn't 100%. You can tell when he side steps questions.  Obviously the other shoulder is bothering him. When has he ever missed throws so badly in the past? He looked like Josh Allen out there last week.

Reminds me of 2019 when he was to worried about what the media was saying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, hx214 said:

Him posting this has me more worried than a shitty game or two. 

Who cares what anybody but Kevin and Berry think.  Stefanski knows he isn't 100%. You can tell when he side steps questions.  Obviously the other shoulder is bothering him. When has he ever missed throws so badly in the past? He looked like Josh Allen out there last week.

Reminds me of 2019 when he was to worried about what the media was saying. 

Nearly a fair point, but Mayfield isn't "worried". He gets asked questions, and he answers.

If a qb won't answer the obvious questions, it would be considered big trouble, secret deep trouble, etc.

When has he ever had a dislocated shoulder in the past? When has he ever been leading a team trying to get to

the superbowl, with the LT, RT and C banged up and questionable to play? When was the last time he had Landry, his key hot receiver out of the game? When was the last time he played with a shoulder harness on?

   I'd rather go by trends. One game is not a trend. If he keeps having bad games with accuracy, that would be a trend and would call for a serious look.

His whole career he's never had that, he's always bounced back. I don't doubt him on that.

********************************

btw, Josh Allen had a qb rating of 100.4, completed a bit over 2/3rds of his passes, two touchdowns in a 40-0 win.

Week before, he completed over 74 percent of his passes for a 129.8 rating. The first two weeks he and their offense struggled and he didn't play well.

Allen bounces back. Baker bounces back. Tom Brady has played very poorly a few times, obviously bounces back.

It happens.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/09/sport/tom-brady-worst-game-of-career-spt-intl/index.html

Tom Brady has one of the worst games of his career in record loss

 

 
 
 

 

 

 

 

 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baker is playing with a torn labrum and a shoulder harness, you dicks.

He was brought here to WIN and we are WINNING.

I love our gutsy, talented bad-ass winning QB and he's THE GUY moving forward.

Z

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Baker is playing with a torn labrum and a shoulder harness, you dicks.

He was brought here to WIN and we are WINNING.

I love our gutsy, talented bad-ass winning QB and he's THE GUY moving forward.

Z

Well l’ll be…

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.beaconjournal.com/amp/6021188001

The timing of this news is curious. I admire Baker’s toughness but can’t help but wonder if we could have won the last couple games more comfortably with Keenum back there. I guess it’s ultimately Stef’s decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×