THE BROWNS BOARD

the browns plan at QB going forward.

EastSideDawg

i don't think baker is going to be the guy going forward,  if he was berry would have signed him already.  so what should we do?

1. baker is not worth 40 mil a year.. berry knows it.

2. this QB draft class sucks not really anyone of note. Maybe they draft a developmental QB?

3. free agents pretty much all older guys and retreds..... except for Mitch Trubisky. 

that is my vote let baker play his 5th year while grooming trubisky as a backup plan if things dont go well as well as drafting a Developmental QB in next years draft.

• Haha 2

Lol ... Baker is the man. He had a poor game! Accuracy is probably off due to left shoulder injury. But he didn't turn it over, and we won!

In fact, he has won 10 of his last 14 starts, with two close losses to the Chiefs, the game where his entire wide receiver corps was out due to covid protocols, and a loss to the Ravens in which he put up 42 on them.

We all saw what he did last year down the stretch, and how accurate he was this year before the injury.

He'll be back to his old self soon, we'll keep winning, and he'll get paid.

Z

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6

27 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Lol ... Baker is the man. He had a poor game! Accuracy is probably off due to left shoulder injury. But he didn't turn it over, and we won!

In fact, he has won 10 of his last 14 starts, with two close losses to the Chiefs, the game where his entire wide receiver corps was out due to covid protocols, and a loss to the Ravens in which he put up 42 on them.

We all saw what he did last year down the stretch, and how accurate he was this year before the injury.

He'll be back to his old self soon, we'll keep winning, and he'll get paid.

Z

I want the browns to win  .... the problem is if they sign baker for 40 mill a year he wont have the players around him to pick him up. 

it sucks and its hard to hear but baker ISNT a difference maker he needs everything around him perfect  to succeed. Take Lamar for example they have like 20 players on IR no WR's a bad Oline and Lamar still makes them competitive.

5 minutes ago, EastSideDawg said:

I want the browns to win  .... the problem is if they sign baker for 40 mill a year he wont have the players around him to pick him up. 

it sucks and its hard to hear but baker ISNT a difference maker he needs everything around him perfect  to succeed. Take Lamar for example they have like 20 players on IR no WR's a bad Oline and Lamar still makes them competitive.

Lamar made them competitive against one of THEE worst offenses in the NFL.   It's like the Tribe - great bull-pen, but zero run support.  Almost the exact opposite of the 90's.

While you're at it, you want a "difference maker", but you're willing to take a shot at Trubisky?  That's an oxy-Retard.

edit: ALSO, how is Mitch NOT a retread?  Is this some belief he can be redeemed from his time in Chicago?  At least that would help me understand your line of thinking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EastSideDawg said:

And tell me, exactly, how that is any different than what Baker did last year? Hell, we had so many guys out with COVID issues in the playoffs Mayfield met a key offensive lineman AT the game. Yet somehow we won and were very close to being in the AFC championship game.

Relax, bud. Who knows, in 4 or so Mayfield may end up being our Andy Dalton. But you know what Andy Dalton at least did? Won some fucking football games and made the team fun to watch. Mayfield is the best QB the Browns have had in 20 years, and barring 12+ weeks of play like last week he's getting an extension to be the Browns QB for the next 4-5 years. Mayfield and the Browns aren't dumb-he's not, barring winning a SB ring, going to get a Mahomes contract. Tannehill for example is a great bar for him, although I expect Mayfield to get more (4 years, $118 million).

And look, I get it. We all want the next Aaron Rodgers or Mahomes who walks on water out there. But this team can win for years with the formula in place, and that's a damn welcome change to 20+ years of sucking absolute ass. Our peak can EASILY be a 49ers team that went to the Super Bowl two years ago. Who the hell knows if we get that good, but the potential is there for the first time in my nearly 32 years of being on this planet. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Lamar made them competitive against one of THEE worst offenses in the NFL.   It's like the Tribe - great bull-pen, but zero run support.  Almost the exact opposite of the 90's.

While you're at it, you want a "difference maker", but you're willing to take a shot at Trubisky?  That's an oxy-Retard.

edit: ALSO, how is Mitch NOT a retread?  Is this some belief he can be redeemed from his time in Chicago?  At least that would help me understand your line of thinking.

i think trubisky has a chance to be good.  He just had bad coaching in Chicago with nagy.

8 hours ago, EastSideDawg said:

i don't think baker is going to be the guy going forward,  if he was berry would have signed him already.  so what should we do?

1. baker is not worth 40 mil a year.. berry knows it.

2. this QB draft class sucks not really anyone of note. Maybe they draft a developmental QB?

3. free agents pretty much all older guys and retreds..... except for Mitch Trubisky. 

that is my vote let baker play his 5th year while grooming trubisky as a backup plan if things dont go well as well as drafting a Developmental QB in next years draft.

1. Possibly, I think we will get a better idea come February.

2.  I’m all for lotto ticket 6th, 7th round QB picking…I take that back not the 6th because our GM selects guys like DPJ and Felton.  I’ll gladly eat crow on thinking DPJ was a waste like I did two years ago.  So 7th round great.  Been watching some  Tanner Morgan Minnesota QB.  Like him a lot with a later pick.  These are super lotto type picks for every Tom Brady you get 150 Spergeon Wynns or for every Gardner Minschew  you get 50 Kevin Hogans.

3. Mitchell Trubisky was dumped by the Bears.  And no don’t want him in place of Baker. Not really crazy about any other Free Agent veteran. Now I’ll entertain your idea-  a trade for a QB? what do we give up? and what do we get back? 

So you had me kinda until the Trubisky stuff - but I still think Baker can be the guy. 

16 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

1. Possibly, I think we will get a better idea come February.

2.  I’m all for lotto ticket 6th, 7th round QB picking…I take that back not the 6th because our GM selects guys like DPJ and Felton.  I’ll gladly eat crow on thinking DPJ was a waste like I did two years ago.  So 7th round great.  Been watching some  Tanner Morgan Minnesota QB.  Like him a lot with a later pick.  These are super lotto type picks for every Tom Brady you get 150 Spergeon Wynns or for every Gardner Minschew  you get 50 Kevin Hogans.

3. Mitchell Trubisky was dumped by the Bears.  And no don’t want him in place of Baker. Not really crazy about any other Free Agent veteran. Now I’ll entertain your idea-  a trade for a QB? what do we give up? and what do we get back? 

So you had me kinda until the Trubisky stuff - but I still think Baker can be the guy. 

No one knows what Trubisky can be away from Nagy change of scenery like Tannehill might do him good.  I think most can look at it as no Qb has looked good with nagy and he might be the problem like Gase with Tannehill and Darnold.

The only reason i said Trubisky is he is going to be the best out of a bad crop of Free agent Qbs next year.

I've said it before and I stand by it, Baker is not playing like a number one overall pick. He shows flashes he can play like one but just does enough to get us by. 

I actually feel bad for Baker because I think he is a genuinely a good guy and is doing everything he can to help the Browns be a winner. But how long are you willing to wait? Our Super Bowl window won't be open forever. So if you have the opportunity to trade for a championship caliber qb, do you give up on Baker?

I don't want to see that, I want Baker to succeed.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EastSideDawg said:

Image  heard of Hue Jackson/Gregg Williams or Freddie Kitchens?

• Haha 1

Baker until we find someone better... and sooner or later we will... but his name will not be Trubisky...because he ain't better... neither now nor whenever.

• Thanks 3

12 hours ago, EastSideDawg said:

i don't think baker is going to be the guy going forward,  if he was berry would have signed him already.

That's a fair thought. 

Certainly it puts a certain pressure on the player to prove that he should get a bazillion dollar contract.  But if you're a true pro, you can go out and just 'play the game' that you've always been so good at.  Now, everybody makes mistakes.  Odds are, there will be games where ya make more than others.  That's life as a human.  That said, the teams with the better QB's are the most successful teams.  Berry needs to see Baker, in a 2nd season with the same system & coaches, play to a certain level.  It's something to watch play out.  And hopefully injury(s) will not play into the picture.

7 hours ago, EastSideDawg said:

Then don't sign him to 40 million a year. Offer him 25 mill a year for 5 years and call it a day. Between his progressive commercials etc he'll be set for life. Problem solved 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Wonder what Kurt Benkert is up to?

Stil hp;ding a clipboard in ATL, but Taylor Heinicke is playing well for the WshFT...

Lets worry about this up coming game against the Chargers. The Chargers just put the Raiders in their place with total dominance on offense and defense. Our OL line needs to protect our QB from being sacked and loss of yards. Our defense better put the Chargers QB in a hurry mood and stop their offense.

10 hours ago, WarriorsRpussies said:

Then don't sign him to 40 million a year. Offer him 25 mill a year for 5 years and call it a day. Between his progressive commercials etc he'll be set for life. Problem solved 

No way baker takes this deal. he will bet on himself in free agency.   On top of that are you ready for baker snarky comments about the front office in every interview if they dont give him 40 mil a year?     

sounds great for team culture 

14 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Stil hp;ding a clipboard in ATL, but Taylor Heinicke is playing well for the WshFT...

Just double checked-  Benkert is actually backing up Rodgers. 

Heinicke isn't a bad QB at all.  Not saying he's elite or even good, but a pleasant surprise so far. 

4 hours ago, EastSideDawg said:

No way baker takes this deal. he will bet on himself in free agency.   On top of that are you ready for baker snarky comments about the front office in every interview if they dont give him 40 mil a year?     

sounds great for team culture 

You have no idea what Baker is thinking or what he's gonna do... Let the season play out and see whee it all ends up... He's got this year and next season to right his own ship... The man has one shit game and everyone losses their minds.. Think about how many more good games he's had than the bad ones... Right now.. They're winning with Baker at QB.. As long as that continues...  Baker will continue to be the starter here...

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Neo said:

I've said it before and I stand by it, 1) Baker is not playing like a number one overall pick. He shows flashes he can play like one but just does enough to get us by. 

I actually feel bad for Baker because I think he is a genuinely a good guy and is doing everything he can to help the Browns be a winner. But how long are you willing to wait? Our Super Bowl window won't be open forever. 2) So if you have the opportunity to trade for a championship caliber qb, 3) do you give up on Baker?

I don't want to see that, I want Baker to succeed.

1) Well, on some days , he does. As they commented in the NFL.com power rankings today- he's maddeningly inconsistent. Yeah- he's pretty mediocre this year overall. But know who's stats are remarkably similar to Mayfield's? Lamar Jackson's. (you win games when your kicker can nail FGs from 66 yards out, and the other team fumbles on a potential game winning drive)  :)

2) Like who? Um based on the Rams trade it would take two firsts, a third AND Baker to even get a nibble. Interested in Deshawn Watson? I'm not- and I'm sure Berry isn't either. 

3) As Zombo said elsewhere, the boo-birds had the pitchforks out for Woods two weeks ago, now everyone is ready to trash Baker after a couple so-so games. Mayfield doesn't have to play up to the level of Mahomes or Allen to win a Super Bowl. And the way this team is set up with a power running game he's never going to have top QB level stats. Andy Dalton took the Bengals to multiple playoff years- and Baker IMHO is better than Dalton. He also has something Andy doesn't- a playoff win. How fast some forget about that here. How long am I willing to wait? Certainly past his option year. Nah- after going through was it something like 20 bust quarterbacks- Quinn, Johnny Football, We-done, Kizer et al... We finally land a decent qb. Now we need the next Mahomes? Never good enough for some guys. Just having a HOF qb is no guarantee you're ever going to win a Super Bowl- ask Fouts, Rivers, and Marino about that.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

And tell me, exactly, how that is any different than what Baker did last year? Hell, we had so many guys out with COVID issues in the playoffs Mayfield met a key offensive lineman AT the game. Yet somehow we won and were very close to being in the AFC championship game.

Relax, bud. Who knows, in 4 or so Mayfield may end up being our Andy Dalton. But you know what Andy Dalton at least did? Won some fucking football games and made the team fun to watch. Mayfield is the best QB the Browns have had in 20 years, and barring 12+ weeks of play like last week he's getting an extension to be the Browns QB for the next 4-5 years. Mayfield and the Browns aren't dumb-he's not, barring winning a SB ring, going to get a Mahomes contract. Tannehill for example is a great bar for him, although I expect Mayfield to get more (4 years, $118 million).

And look, I get it. We all want the next Aaron Rodgers or Mahomes who walks on water out there. But this team can win for years with the formula in place, and that's a damn welcome change to 20+ years of sucking absolute ass. Our peak can EASILY be a 49ers team that went to the Super Bowl two years ago. Who the hell knows if we get that good, but the potential is there for the first time in my nearly 32 years of being on this planet. 

I'll take prime Andy Dalton over Spergon Wynn. 

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

1) Well, on some days , he does. As they commented in the NFL.com power rankings today- he's maddeningly inconsistent. Yeah- he's pretty mediocre this year overall. But know who's stats are remarkably similar to Mayfield's? Lamar Jackson's. (you win games when your kicker can nail FGs from 66 yards out, and the other team fumbles on a potential game winning drive)  :)

2) Like who? Um based on the Rams trade it would take two firsts, a third AND Baker to even get a nibble. Interested in Deshawn Watson? I'm not- and I'm sure Berry isn't either. 

3) As Zombo said elsewhere, the boo-birds had the pitchforks out for Woods two weeks ago, now everyone is ready to trash Baker after a couple so-so games. Mayfield doesn't have to play up to the level of Mahomes or Allen to win a Super Bowl. And the way this team is set up with a power running game he's never going to have top QB level stats. Andy Dalton took the Bengals to multiple playoff years- and Baker IMHO is better than Dalton. He also has something Andy doesn't- a playoff win. How fast some forget about that here. How long am I willing to wait? Certainly past his option year. Nah- after going through was it something like 20 bust quarterbacks- Quinn, Johnny Football, We-done, Kizer et al... We finally land a decent qb. Now we need the next Mahomes? Never good enough for some guys. Just having a HOF qb is no guarantee you're ever going to win a Super Bowl- ask Fouts, Rivers, and Marino about that.  

The only way I give up on Baker is if we did a Rams/Lions trade. It would have to be an Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson but we all know hell would freeze over before they would come off either one of those guys.

48 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

I'm surprised so many people took this thread seriously.  Mitch Trubisky is the answer?  You stay classy, San Diego.

I'm sure Mitch would love to "come home" but only as a backup to Mayfield.  There is a possibility he may eventually land a starter gig somewhere in the NFL as a retread- (most first round QBs do). But it's not going to be in Cleveland.

FWIW, there was an article that the Browns may have to dump Keenum next year as Baker's backup because of cap constraints- but there's probably no way Trubisky would want to take a hometown discount that would make him a cheaper option.  :)

8 minutes ago, Neo said:

The only way I give up on Baker is if we did a Rams/Lions trade. It would have to be an Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson but we all know hell would freeze over before they would come off either one of those guys.

Exactly right. The cost of trading for a premier NFL QB is prohibitive. IMHO the Rams gave up way too damn much to get Stafford.  Their window is now. Lotsa luck. 

It's just me, but mortgaging your future almost never pans out. I don't want to be in that situation,

9 hours ago, BrownsfaninPa said:

Our OL line needs to protect our QB

Amen...

51 minutes ago, hoorta said:

The cost of trading for a premier NFL QB is prohibitive. IMHO

Not to mention that most of the elites have a measure of trade control and right now none would want to head to CLE.