THE BROWNS BOARD

Tale of the Tape - Browns vs Vikings

Orion

…......... Rush / G   Pass / G   Sack Run D / G   Pass D / G   Sack Give/Take
Browns 175 3rd 260 17th 27th 67 5th 182 6th 2nd -2
Vikings 128 10th 310 7th 9th 119 20th 290 27th 5th +1

Thanks to the complete collapse of the Bears' offense, our D tells a tale.  Our was credited with giving up 1 passing yard and 46 rushing yards.  We went from 22nd to 6th against the pass.  So, the D stats are all skewed up.  

The Vikings are strong offensively both rushing & passing.  Their prowess at passing is troubling since defending receivers has been an issue until Fields and the Bears rolled into town.

If we can exploit their lower ranked defense then this is a game that we can win.  So, it's a game that we should win.  And it's a game that we really need to win because we're at the Charger, followed by the unbeaten Cardinals & Broncos at home.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Orion said:
…......... Rush / G   Pass / G   Sack Run D / G   Pass D / G   Sack Give/Take
Browns 175 3rd 260 17th 27th 67 5th 182 6th 2nd -2
Vikings 128 10th 310 7th 9th 119 20th 290 27th 5th +1

If we can exploit their lower ranked defense then this is a game that we can win.  So, it's a game that we should win.  And it's a game that we really need to win because we're at the Charger, followed by the unbeaten Cardinals & Broncos at home.

Agree. I have a feeling it will be a shootout type game. The Vikings definitely have some weapons. 

• Upvote 1

Vikings CB are castoffs from other teams - Peterson and Breeland were almost perfectly useless last week, giving up 13 catches on 15 targets.

Vikings spent a lot on IDL -- Michael Pierce [9M] and Dalvin Tomlinson [10.5] are both PFF 70 rated.

Fun facts: Sheldon Richardson is not balling.  Malik McDowell is.

Yeah Breeland Has been awful…we can pick on him.

The Vikes have been exposed by cutback runs.  You gotta be right in that regard when you play the Browns.

Maybe I’m too overconfident…but I like this matchup our O vs their D.

The questions this week..
Can the Browns confuse and pressure Cousins?  We have to watch our pressure too they use the screen game really well 

Can Newsome hold up against Thielen?

Can our run defense show out like they have in the first three games? 

I think we are good for a win if we get 2 of the 3.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Yeah Breeland Has been awful…we can pick on him.

The Vikes have been exposed by cutback runs.  You gotta be right in that regard when you play the Browns.

Maybe I’m too overconfident…but I like this matchup our O vs their D.

The questions this week..
Can the Browns confuse and pressure Cousins?

Can Newsome hold up against Thielen?

Can our run defense show out like they have in the first three games? 

I think we are good for a win if we get 2 of the 3.

Kirk Cousins doesn't scare anyone... He's average

Just now, SdBacker80 said:

Neither does Baker if you ask other teams…but he uses his weapons well and plays a scheme perfectly fit for him that doesn’t ask too much in regard to showcasing arm talent.

Except Baker is 10x's more athletic and accurate...

• Upvote 1

Vikings being 4th in the league in passpro efficiency also helps. 

Of course, Vikings opponents to date have been the Bengals, Cardinals, and Seahawks.. and only the Cards have anyone more than just another guy on the DL.  Yes, you can only play who the schedule tells you, but you have to scroll pretty far to get to Vikings OL preview

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, nickers said:

Except Baker is 10x's more athletic and accurate...

Cousins has a career completion percentage that is 5% higher than Baker's, while also throwing for slightly more yards per attempt.

But sure, he's more athletic, I suppose.

1 minute ago, Orion said:

Cousins is no pushover.  He's been playing quite a while now.  He won't be holding the ball as long as Fields did.

The Vikings offense is a legit professional unit.

The Bears offense Sunday was a trainwreck. Rookie QB with a coaching staff who did him zero favors behind a Swiss Cheese OLine.

The Vikings offense will be an interesting challenge for the Browns defense. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Yeah, I was trying to find something updated for you, but no dice. 

I think the ir report doesn’t have to come out until Wednesday 

18 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Yes.

It is a fixed dome too, not retractable. It's always closed. 

I guess we will see how fast the Browns are this Sunday 

Stay aggressive with this defense Joe Woods..win the interior push & trenches on both sides .. Cousins can pick teams apart if you can't make him move..    Cmp% 73.9

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/09/cleveland-browns-vs-minnesota-vikings-preview-breaking-down-the-vikings-and-how-they-match-up.html

Bengals D got 3 sacks in opener.. Vikings have only gave up 1 sack in each vs Zona/Sea-nags... Watch the playing status updates of Cooks & Newsome 👀

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Browns149 said:

I think the ir report doesn’t have to come out until Wednesday 

sometimes it's better to look at Thursday & a meaningful Friday report... 

Image  good to see Hubbard as limited though

The rest of the.....  https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/09/greedy-williams-to-make-his-1st-start-since-his-rookie-year-vikings-rb-dalvin-cooks-returns-to-practice-browns-takeaways.html

I respect Wills for gutting out the injury, but it seems prudent to give him a game off. You can just tell he's a 1/2 step slower out there and it showed. Sack numbers against the Browns last week are a little deceptive because two were on broken plays, but still a lot of pressure overall. Especially if Hubbard is back in the mix, I'd much rather platoon that.

15 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Don't undersell Mattison.  Kid would be a 1000+ yard back if he didn't have Cook in front of him.  Liked that kid at Boise State and he's grown into a quality player. 

He runs, and even looks, almost identical to Cook on the field. Watching the game highlights it took me 3 minutes in to realize it was strictly Mattison not realizing Cook was out. I totally agree, he's a top 2-3 backup in the NFL and could easily be starting in other places (not unlike Hunt). 

• Upvote 1

We need to be ready for Mattison/Cook and the Vikings screen game.  Yes, The Seahawks defended it so poorly…but the Vikings sold it and executed it so well.  Big game for JOK.  Maybe we are more judicious with the blitz (I can’t believe I’m advocating that)

Looks like Greedy on Thielen too. Hopefully not a lot of PIs and Burnt Toast. They have a slot guy that is pretty good too I think he was 7 targets 7 catches this past week.

We need to win upfront (and we can) although the Vikings were seemingly suspect there but have performed well.  This would be a great game maybe a law of average equalizer where we get some turnovers.  We have just one forced so far on defense. 

Solution for the week: Win the toss take the ball play keep away with long drives Chubb/Hunt and playaction …play from ahead and force Captain Kirk into more downfield chunk plays rather than his normal high probability throws.  I don’t see a lot of special throws on replays. He’s making all the ordinary throws though and the balls coming out quickly