THE BROWNS BOARD

BERNIE SPEAKS.......Or something like that

Riffer X

Heard Berns on WKNR and on Drennan's 'All Bets Are Off'.

Surprised he said the Browns should consider a 4/3. I've been thinking this was kind of stupid talk considering the team has prepared and formed everything around a 3/4 for quite awhile now, but Kosar said it's not a bad idea. He was mainly referring to the poor linebacking and the fact teams try to spread us out and take advantage of them in coverage.

Without naming names (cause he loves everybody) he was intimating Wimbley, Davis and Willie and the non-development of Williams. Leon has been rancid in space and that is supposed to be his strength.

My problem with all this is we already lost Robaire and Shaun Smith has been hurt a lot. Now Rogers is getting to the point in the season where he could be wearing down, so I don't see the depth there to execute this right now or in the near future. Louis Leonard has come through big time, but after that there really is nobody else since neither Purcell or Pittman got any better. Also, who would play the ends? Corey Williams could maybe pull it off, but no way in hell could Wimbley do anything at end besides get blown off the ball. I also don't see him playing outside backer in the 4/3 since he sucks in space.

I think you stay with the plan and keep upgrading the backers.

Alot depends on if RAC is coach next year. If he is, no way we switch to a 4-3.

If he is not coach, then we need to consider it, maybe going to a Tampa 2?

One thing to consider is this: who is available in the draft and in free agency. I honestly don't know at this point, and I'm not going to waste time look it up in the middle of the season. But if there are a lot of stud DE available via draft and free angency, that would be a good move. If there are a lot of good linebackers, stick with the 3-4.

On wimbley, I might disagree with you a little. Going to a 3-4 might be exactly what he needs to turn things around. There's alot of guys who are smallish that don't have any troubles playing DE (Jared Allen, Freney, and others). Maybe he just has too much on his plate as a linebacker, and the simplified responsibilities at DE may allow him to exell. We could potentially have a DE similiar to what Minnesota has, with smaller allen on the outside and the hog williams boys in the middle. Don't think wimbley could hold allen's jock strap, but cory and shaun could have a similar impact inside. Or maybe wimbley is just a bust. I don't honestly know at this point.

Berns also went injury card with Tucker, Stallhardass and JJ being out. Without totally slamming Steptoe and company, he really alluded to the fact the receiver corps took such a big hit.

Didn't really make a ton of excuses for DA, more about the offensive struggles in general.

Alot depends on if RAC is coach next year. If he is, no way we switch to a 4-3.

If he is not coach, then we need to consider it, maybe going to a Tampa 2?

One thing to consider is this: who is available in the draft and in free agency. I honestly don't know at this point, and I'm not going to waste time look it up in the middle of the season. But if there are a lot of stud DE available via draft and free angency, that would be a good move. If there are a lot of good linebackers, stick with the 3-4.

On wimbley, I might disagree with you a little. Going to a 3-4 might be exactly what he needs to turn things around. There's alot of guys who are smallish that don't have any troubles playing DE (Jared Allen, Freney, and others). Maybe he just has too much on his plate as a linebacker, and the simplified responsibilities at DE may allow him to exell. We could potentially have a DE similiar to what Minnesota has, with smaller allen on the outside and the hog williams boys in the middle. Don't think wimbley could hold allen's jock strap, but cory and shaun could have a similar impact inside. Or maybe wimbley is just a bust. I don't honestly know at this point.

Good points. I'm realy down on Wimbley right now and no way can I see Hall ever playing end in a 4/3. Kid can play but gets thrown around. Kam may be in a three point a lot, but it's more in space. I think he gets gobbled up playing traditional end, but I've been wrong before and will be again. He definitely doesn't have the explosiveness and strength of a Dumervil or Freeney and beefing up the DE's and total line depth probably can't be done in one offseason.

You're right about what's available in the draft and FA, maybe Al can help us out.

Yeah, I'm not real high on Wimbley either. I certainly don't consider him the centerpeice of this defense, nor someone to build around. Again, we'll just have to see what's available, and who's in charge of drafting this offseason.

I do think that we need to get this win-instantly mentality out of our heads, and keep building through the draft for long term success. I don't think we're only a player or two away from the superbowl. I see alot of holes in this team, most of which won't be fixed long term in one offseason.

But then again I don't get paid to evaluate talent or coach, so what the hell do I know...

Archived