THE BROWNS BOARD

🏈🏈🏈🟧🟫 Official Gameday Thread Browns Chiefs 🟫🟧🏈🏈🏈

Zombo

The new and improved and highly hyped defense gave up 33pts on opening day, and while that has been my biggest worry during the offseason, the good news is there's nowhere to go but up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Browns fan 1977 said:

defense looked no better than it did in 1999, Gave up that many passing yards?  We put NO pressure on the qb all day long until outside of garbage time if we are not the same old Browns we need to win big next week and I don't mean fighting the off for a last second drive, We need to have the game won with 7 minutes left in the game. No letting it come down to the last second. GO BROWNS 

I have said from the start.. I think Joe Woods blows,,,

5 hours ago, D Bone said:

The new and improved and highly hyped defense gave up 33pts on opening day, and while that has been my biggest worry during the offseason, the good news is there's nowhere to go but up. 

I bet if you clock 'em all you will find that we just went up against the fastest gun in the whole NFL in terms of snap to throw. So yes, it's gonna get far better.

8 hours ago, Orion said:

What I noticed:   Mack Wilson needs to be improved upon.

Harrison did a stupid thing that cost his team.

Hubbard filled in at LT without a ton of drop-off.

DPJ was a non-factor.  

Schwartz did ok.  Did some good things, a rookie thing, and al-most saved the day with a great catch...but the defender did a good job.

Baker did well.  Chubb did well (tough break with the fumble in traffic by a torpedo helmet).  Hunt did well.

The punter eff'd up.  The kicker did well with the kick-offs.

Our pass rush could not get to PM.  

Where was Higgins?

It was a fun game to watch...'til the end.

can't beleive wilson is still on the team.....i liked him coming out of bama....thought he would be really good....but, man, you don't even hear his name mentioned during the game at all.....and he is out there on the field....i see number 51 alot.....don't get it....maybe it is joe woods d schemes or something.....

14 minutes ago, browns52 said:

can't beleive wilson is still on the team.....i liked him coming out of bama....thought he would be really good....but, man, you don't even hear his name mentioned during the game at all.....and he is out there on the field....i see number 51 alot.....don't get it....maybe it is joe woods d schemes or something.....

I'm thinking that some of the guys brought in to replace him got hurt in TC & preseason.

KC picked apart our zone D all day.  Not sure if Man would have been a bit better.  But damn I was tired of seeing the middle open all day and the short out passes too.

Garret and Clowney showed pressure, but a bit disappointed that we didn't see either of them get to PM more than they did.

Two more stops by us with added points and this game is over.  Why couldn't Joe Woods adapt the D better?  Perhaps what we saw was the best we could do with that offense?  PM knew he didn't have a lot of time to throw, and Andy Reid called the plays that worked.... all game long.

We clean up the mistakes, game over.  

Well played.  Again, two years in a row and we had KC beat or close to beating them.  Is KC the new Denver?  

I'll take this Game 1 over last year's game 1, any day.  

This is going to be a fun season to watch.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, gumby73 said:

#5.. we than go backwards -10 yards, THR-owing on 3 downs 🤢.. to Gillian dropping a perfect snap. into a panic scramble (if you can run around with it? find a soft spot & punt the damn pigskin Hammer)

Problem with Gillian is he was running to his right because that's the way the ball bounced and he's a left footed punter. Had the ball bounced left or he were born a right footed kicker we would have seen a rugby style punt.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

So let me calmly explain why you're both wrong.  I'll take it as far back as the Super Bowl.  Travis Kelce - 15 targets, 11 rec 133 yards.  

Tyreek HIll - 10 targets, 7 rec,  73 yards

Remember these numbers.

Was Tampa Bay's secondary bad that game?  Hell no.   However you have to acknowledge against an offense this special, and KC is special, you have to give and take.    In the Super Bowl KC couldn't go vertical because their pass pro was so damn bad.   So they were willing to do their best to bracket Kelce and concede the underneath stuff to Hill to him in order to limit the deep game KC has thrived off.    Kelce still ate.

But what KC does best, what they thrive off of - the vertical passing game, they were denied.  

The idea in this game was much similar.  Except the bracket was being thrown at Tyreek and you hope your best athletes can handle Kelce underneath.    Remember that second throw to Kelce on the shake? That was on JOK.  So despite the most athletic LB being drafted to "TAKE AWAY KELCE" or "SHADOW LAMAR" or all the other things we saw people say on here... it really still didn't matter.  Oh, he was also parked with inside leverage and still lost... to the inside.

Again Hill? In our quarters and 3 shell the idea was simple - stem top down.  Don't let him get behind you and throw up the dueces, don't let the crowd continue to stay in it.  See if KC really wants to commit to running the ball and being patient.   Which they didn't find much success.  CEH average 3.5 a carry. IDL did a solid job.    Hill has options at the top of his route based on DB's depth and leverage, the Browns routinely took away the top and he, like any good receiver, broke underneath and before breaking DB's to give his QB a target.   It's by design, for lack of a better word.

Nearly 40% of Tyreek's receiving yards was on that scramble drill and bailed out across shoulder throw by Mahomes.   A play only he can really get away with.  Johnny J was in a great spot for a QB flowing to the boundary.  Mahomes somehow put it back inside enough for Tyreek to answer his prayer.    Just one of those you have to tip your hat.  It's fluky in the sense that you just don't really see it at any level of football save for that pairing.  

Remember those numbers I told you about from the Superbowl?  Here were today's.

REC YDS AVG TD LONG TGTS
Tyreek Hill 11 197 17.9 1 75 15
Travis Kelce 6 76 12.7 2 19 7

Damn, that's looks pretty similar to the superbowl just in reverse.

The idea was to not let KC get rhythm and go bombs away.   To their credit, their pass pro held up and they weren't so obsessed with his vertical threat that they allowed to work  parts of the intermediate field.  But discounting the miracle bomb to Hill, the longest pass given up to any receiver was 19 yards.   

Yes, the secondary has improved.   Mahomes, when he was pressured, bought time and allowed his receiver to settle under coverage and found them.     The Browns picked their poison much like Tampa did.  Only difference is we didn't win the turnover margin and gave up a fluky throw.

The offense turned the ball over on their side of the field.

Special teams turned the ball over on their side of the field.

THAT was the difference in today's game.  Being -2 in the turnover margin.  

You guys good now or does this need further explanation?

THANK YOU ! That is great stuff.

My opinion - I was just about to say to my Wife that they were running Chubb too much in succession. Their d was keying on him. And then he fumbled. I get taking time off the clock, but that ended up badly. Wouldn't it have been better to have kept them guessing on defense?

But my better question is... that long throw to Hill - was it designed to only have Johnson, about the best safety in the NFL... covering one on one? or was it a mistake that left him all alone? Amazingly, Johnson was right with him.

But I suspect that was a designed play. Mahomes doesn't need to have Hill try to out jump Johnson for a pass, he threw it to the inside, and with Johnson full speed, Hill darts perfectly into the throw at the goalline and Johnson is comploetely helpless to defend it. I just think that was a designed play - not a fluke.

And I was hoping to see a throw to Scwartz on a crossing pattern full speed. Did I miss one when I went to the kitchen for coffee?

13 hours ago, D Bone said:

The Texans score 10 times more points than most people predicted. Get ready for a battle supreme. 

The real problem is that the Chiefs' playmaker made a huge play and nobody on our team did when we needed it. They got a 75 yard touchdown on some real bullshit. We didn't have that. OBJ is the only guy we have that can take normal and go the distance. Nobody saved the day for us. 

And I'm not sure Jamie Gillian is long for our roster. That mistake was so totally egregious, it might bounce him. And I'm not kidding. 

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

THANK YOU ! That is great stuff.

My opinion - I was just about to say to my Wife that they were running Chubb too much in succession. Their d was keying on him. And then he fumbled. I get taking time off the clock, but that ended up badly. Wouldn't it have been better to have kept them guessing on defense?

But my better question is... that long throw to Hill - was it designed to only have Johnson, about the best safety in the NFL... covering one on one? or was it a mistake that left him all alone? Amazingly, Johnson was right with him.

But I suspect that was a designed play. Mahomes doesn't need to have Hill try to out jump Johnson for a pass, he threw it to the inside, and with Johnson full speed, Hill darts perfectly into the throw at the goalline and Johnson is comploetely helpless to defend it. I just think that was a designed play - not a fluke.

And I was hoping to see a throw to Scwartz on a crossing pattern full speed. Did I miss one when I went to the kitchen for coffee?

I have no issue with Chubb getting multiple carries and getting his runners rhythm.  I want their defense to key in on my running game to open lanes for the passing.  That's why I said this game would likely be called a bit in reverse to open things up.  Browns went heavy play action early and started running the ball effectively in the 2nd half.

It was like watching some Bill Walsh WYCO teams - open by throwing and run on a tired defense late.   I have zero issue there.

As for the throw to Hill on Johnny J. I'll have a more clear answer for you Thursday after the All-22 is out.   Best educated guess right now, he got turned over to the safety in zone pass off, then JJ took him on the scramble. 

edit: To answer your question about schwartz.  His first catch on that boundary to field over route which was good use of his speed.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, nickers said:

I have said from the start.. I think Joe Woods blows,,,

yeah, i have to agree with you at this point.....harrison getting thrown out did not help yesterday....but that is the coach woods responsiblity when it comes to stuff like that...what bothered me most is they did not have any game plan for pm....they should know that he steps up in the pocket alot when he makes his throws or scrambles....aside from garretts sack in the fourth qtr, it seemed we just kept over running the pass rush right by him....cmon guys watch the game film...someone needs to be in front of him at all times to at least try to contain him.....that is on woods also......

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

I have no issue with Chubb getting multiple carries and getting his runners rhythm.  I want their defense to key in on my running game to open lanes for the passing.  That's why I said this game would likely be called a bit in reverse to open things up.  Browns went heavy play action early and started running the ball effectively in the 2nd half.

It was like watching some Bill Walsh WYCO teams - open by throwing and run on a tired defense late.   I have zero issue there.

As for the throw to Hill on Johnny J. I'll have a more clear answer for you Thursday after the All-22 is out.   Best educated guess right now, he got turned over to the safety in zone pass off, then JJ took him on the scramble. 

edit: To answer your question about schwartz.  His first catch on that boundary to field over route which was good use of his speed.

right before the fumble, i think he had 2 really nice runs....i think play action would have worked after those runs...but, who knows...i

3 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

The Texans score 10 times more points than most people predicted. Get ready for a battle supreme. 

The real problem is that the Chiefs' playmaker made a huge play and nobody on our team did when we needed it. They got a 75 yard touchdown on some real bullshit. We didn't have that. OBJ is the only guy we have that can take normal and go the distance. Nobody saved the day for us. 

And I'm not sure Jamie Gillian is long for our roster. That mistake was so totally egregious, it might bounce him. And I'm not kidding. 

if  baker throws passes like trevor did yesterday, i think baker will get cut.....trever game them alot of pts with those ints...i can't see baker throwing ints like that against the texans....i'm just glad watson hopefully won't be playing or else it would be a mighty close game....because we still have not solved the scrambling qb issues after watching the game yesterday...

• Like 1

I’m with Tia…not enough cowbell.  I would have been fine spending the second half with Chubb and Hunt trading blows one gets two carries the other gets two carries...if either need a spell you have a good 3rd in the depth chart back behind them.   Have I said recently how much I love the angry style that Hunt employs which I think is invaluable in the 4th quarter when hands are on hips?  

I also like the sending our WRs deep early and playaction early because we’ve established enough of a league wide identity that teams prepare for us by focusing on the run and we are becoming the standard when it comes to running the ball.  So the HC has astutely noticed this and he had a lot of game plans dating back to the second half of last year where we went air and then run.  

I don’t fault JJohnson he was the victim of what happens at times perfect coverage and then back shoulder stuff happens.  This was chasing a blur across the field and having to shift that momentum when Mahomes had an errant pass.  

And I think some of these games it would be nice for Myles to take over and come up with a big second half sack when it’s feeding time.  Like 22-10, 22-17, 29-26…the Chiefs had no ground threat so he should have been coming.  He was largely quiet in the second half.  He needs to be loud if the defense is going to do well. 

we are all hungover hopefully the Browns aren’t next week at home against a feisty Houston team. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, browns52 said:

if  baker throws passes like trevor did yesterday, i think baker will get cut.....trever game them alot of pts with those ints...i can't see baker throwing ints like that against the texans....i'm just glad watson hopefully won't be playing or else it would be a mighty close game....because we still have not solved the scrambling qb issues after watching the game yesterday...

I don’t think any team has solved that Mahomes scrambling QB issue because you need to account more for his arm and his weapons.  I’ll take it easy on us there.  

I feel there is no excuse for Lamar though.  He has to beat us with his legs or the Ravens aren’t beating us.  Hopefully they don’t spread us out and we go man coverage with our backs to Lamar…and God help us if Mack Wilson is taking snaps in that game too.

To help put things in further perspective defensively.

- CEH had zero explosive rushes, zero first downs and was stopped for no gain on almost 15% of his carries.

- Defensive line had 3 sacks, 3 hits and 9 hurries      3 of KC's first downs came as a result of Mahomes just being Mahomes.  The pass rush, and more importantly the coverage, forced him to create when the play broke down.

Both of CLE's lines outperformed KC's on tape and in grade.   

So I'll say this now, KC needs to be concerned about another matchup.  There are only so many adjustments you can make before your personnel just can't keep up.   The Browns were head and shoulders better where it matters most - trenches.   We simply have the better personnel across the board there.

edit: Watching the game again. 

MJ Steward looks MUCH better on a hash than playing as a nickel.  Not at all surprised though.

2 hours ago, browns52 said:

-but that is the coach woods responsiblity when it comes to stuff like that...

-what bothered me most is they did not have any game plan for pm..

they should know that he steps up in the pocket alot when he makes his throws or scrambles....

acmon guys watch the game film...

In order of bold

- No, it's really not.  Harrison saw red and likely just pushed back immediately against a coach.  Fact is, the KC coach had ZERO business putting his hands on a player.    If you put hands on me, you're getting it back.  His ejection was over the line.

- What bothers me most is your failure to delve into things further.  I've already gone over what's available on youtube and when I have the all-22 notify my account on wednesday, I'll have even more answers. But I mentioned 3 plays Mahomes was forced to pull it down and run.   Those 3 plays alone were because of coverage.   There was a gameplan, sometimes talent and execution wins the down.

- No, PM doesn't routinely step up in the pocket. Its has actually be his Achilles heel the past couple seasons. He's notorious for retreating back further and getting himself into trouble.

- YOU haven't watched any further film. You're making that incredibly clear.

51 minutes ago, Neo said:

Did anybody mention how one of our prized free agents got torched by Tyreek Hill even though he was is a coverage to stop exactly that?

torched?  Do you want me to unpack this for you or do you want to trust me that you're wrong?

edit: Fuck it, i'll just get ahead of it for you

55 minutes ago, Neo said:

Did anybody mention how one of our prized free agents got torched by Tyreek Hill even though he was is a coverage to stop exactly that?

You are asking a safety to cover one of the fastest guys in the NFL on a broken play never mind the safety was actually in position to make the play.  

The half miracle half skill bomb to Tyreek.

Browns in their dime look 2 high shift.

41616883_Brownsdime2high_2.thumb.jpg.1b70d008d71bd938901d0625eb248f46.jpg

-------------------------------------   The "shift"

boundary safety inverts in a cover 6 to take away Kelce.   I'm sure, without having read the posts, there are several well known whiny bitches about Woods on this board who complained.  Well this is an adjustment that worked.   The invert takes away Mahomes primary.  Which is kelce on the out from the #2.  KC LOVES running out breaking patterns with him to the boundary and they scored on one earlier.  This was Wood's adjustment/answer to that. 

You'll notice coverage being "married" (as Romo says) to the pass rush.  Instead of Mahomes being able to stand and deliver or at worst find his #2, he is now forced to escape and buy whatever time he can with his legs.

1662862892_Cover6invertedboundarysafety.thumb.jpg.9e4b3b93c4758fe8bea8272996d8fba7.jpg

----------------------------------

This is Mahomes, running for dear life and using every bit of his god-given arm strength to Brett Farve this ball downfield and inside.   Keep in mind, the offensive holding call on Tyreek earlier.  It was almost the exact same play design except Mahomes flushed back further behind the line.   It's almost like he hasn't met a threw he doesn't like.   But I guess when you're that talented you can get away with it on occasion.  The first one was almost picked, so please don't forget that.  

1831073459_PMthrow.thumb.jpg.b607503f3b294efa5ffbccadaf8f163d.jpg

---------------------   The bomb

Mahomes has ZERO choice but to put this back towards interior of the field.  Why? Because Johnny J beat Tyreek to the outside and with the "flow" of the escaping QB.   Football 101, NEVER Throw back across to the interior of the field.   Where there are execptions to every rule and Mahomes just so happens to be that exception.  If this is Big Ben it's a throw away, if it's Lamar it's a throw away, if it's Joey Buckets it's a throw away.  Mahomes might be the only QB in the NFL capable enough of making this throw but having a couple receivers who can actually adjust.  

When you're facing any "normal" QB, Johnny J played it right 99.9% of the time.  And if it's put outside as most QB's would attempt, then he gets a pick in his first career game in CLE.

But it wasn't, because he had the misfortune of going against probably the most lethal QB/WR combo in the NFL.    It's a fluky, lucky, incredibly stupid yet amazingly talented play.   So as I said earlier, you really just have to shake your head.  Because you SHOULDN'T see this sort of thing and outside of these two, you really don't at any level. 

JJ3 didn't get "toasted", "torched", "burned" or whatever stupid fucking adjective you'd like to toss out there.  He put himself in great position and Tyreek just made an all-pro play. You win some, like we did earlier forcing the near INT - and you lose some.... like this.   Nothing more, nothing less.

Catch.thumb.jpg.29b2a9f18b7b629f943282879de4d276.jpg

Now, has anyone besides myself put in the work to further understand the nuances to what we saw with the coverage, pass rush and alignments we saw on defense?    Or are you still firing from the hip and pretending to know what you're talking about?

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Neo said:

Did anybody mention how one of our prized free agents got torched by Tyreek Hill

Yeah, he got turned around and couldn't see where the ball was actually thrown to.  Tough break.

A thought on the use of Baker:  I don't like seeing him out there as a lead blocker.  I'm sure the play wasn't designed for him to block, but, Where's Darren Fells to tell him not to do that...because 'We need you'.  And then there was the sandlot craziness at the end of the half.  It's all fun 'n games until somebody gets hurt.  If OBJ were out there, he'd probably be the one.  It was a cute trick play.  And it converted a 4th and 31.  And I know you want as many ball handlers as possible trailing the ball carrier dejur, but keep Baker out of it please.  Some half crazy LB'er is liable to decide to target him instead of the ball carrier.  I'm sure Gregg Williams would probably even teach that tactic during game week preparing for us.  (if he were the DC we were facing)

I don't want Baker doing anything except handing off and throwing the ball.  He's not that athletic.  He tends to fumble the ball when hit.  And we can't have him hurt...because We Need Him.

30 minutes ago, Orion said:

Yeah, he got turned around and couldn't see where the ball was actually thrown to.  Tough break.

Well.. Apparently the guys we brought in to fix this mess didn't fix much....

19 minutes ago, nickers said:

Well.. Apparently the guys we brought in to fix this miss didn't fix much....

...and it's my thinking that they were brought in specifically to be able to beat KC.  That was a big play. As was the blown punt by Hammer Head.  The Chubb fumble (which was a freak collision).  And finally, the Baker int (where he was getting knocked down and trying to throw it away).  They were all nails in the coffin.  But let's give it some time.  Because those same things can happen to KC if we meet again.

When you play KC you better be prepared for a game where you cannot give them the ball, even via punt.  

• Upvote 1

There could not have been a worse matchup for a defense that had so many new faces.

Nothing I saw yesterday changed my mind about the Browns ability to play with anyone in the NFL. 

But they need to finish games against the Chiefs and the Ravens of the world. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, browns52 said:

yeah, i have to agree with you at this point.....harrison getting thrown out did not help yesterday....but that is the coach woods responsiblity when it comes to stuff like that...what bothered me most is they did not have any game plan for pm....they should know that he steps up in the pocket alot when he makes his throws or scrambles....aside from garretts sack in the fourth qtr, it seemed we just kept over running the pass rush right by him....cmon guys watch the game film...someone needs to be in front of him at all times to at least try to contain him.....that is on woods also......

Just noting the pass rush.....In the past, going back to 2018, KC has their OT by design....set up to cover the inside move and then ride the pass rushers around to the back....with the idea Mahomes would step up and/or out to the side as the tackles safely guide the edge rushers to the rear.  This worked spectacularly well in 2018, when KC still had Mitch Morse at C...after he left in FA, in 2019, this still worked, but not as well because the tackles still did their jobs well, but the interior O linemen, especially C Austin Rieter (a former brown) could not block well.  In 2020 it was worse as Laurant Dueverney Tardiff opted otu for Covid..and then we started getting hit with injuries.  ....I wouldn't be discouraged by your edge rushers....but too often either your edge guys got ran around to the rear by design..AND...the important part...the Chiefs IOL were able to hold together so Mahomes in fact had a place to step up to or step out.  I am NOT diminishing your D line...I was impressed by the whole thing...we had a hard time running for the most part.  ...I would say that the new KC line, produced a VAST improvement here...having the ability to keep the space in teh middle open for mahomes to move to.  The times when the Cleveland rush did get Mahomes...it was when he kept drifting farther back....due to the interior space not being available.  You guys are going to have ALOT of success against lessor lines and QB's.

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

The half miracle half skill bomb to Tyreek.

Browns in their dime look 2 high shift.

41616883_Brownsdime2high_2.thumb.jpg.1b70d008d71bd938901d0625eb248f46.jpg

-------------------------------------   The "shift"

boundary safety inverts in a cover 6 to take away Kelce.   I'm sure, without having read the posts, there are several well known whiny bitches about Woods on this board who complained.  Well this is an adjustment that worked.   The invert takes away Mahomes primary.  Which is kelce on the out from the #2.  KC LOVES running out breaking patterns with him to the boundary and they scored on one earlier.  This was Wood's adjustment/answer to that. 

You'll notice coverage being "married" (as Romo says) to the pass rush.  Instead of Mahomes being able to stand and deliver or at worst find his #2, he is now forced to escape and buy whatever time he can with his legs.

1662862892_Cover6invertedboundarysafety.thumb.jpg.9e4b3b93c4758fe8bea8272996d8fba7.jpg

----------------------------------

This is Mahomes, running for dear life and using every bit of his god-given arm strength to Brett Farve this ball downfield and inside.   Keep in mind, the offensive holding call on Tyreek earlier.  It was almost the exact same play design except Mahomes flushed back further behind the line.   It's almost like he hasn't met a threw he doesn't like.   But I guess when you're that talented you can get away with it on occasion.  The first one was almost picked, so please don't forget that.  

1831073459_PMthrow.thumb.jpg.b607503f3b294efa5ffbccadaf8f163d.jpg

---------------------   The bomb

Mahomes has ZERO choice but to put this back towards interior of the field.  Why? Because Johnny J beat Tyreek to the outside and with the "flow" of the escaping QB.   Football 101, NEVER Throw back across to the interior of the field.   Where there are execptions to every rule and Mahomes just so happens to be that exception.  If this is Big Ben it's a throw away, if it's Lamar it's a throw away, if it's Joey Buckets it's a throw away.  Mahomes might be the only QB in the NFL capable enough of making this throw but having a couple receivers who can actually adjust.  

When you're facing any "normal" QB, Johnny J played it right 99.9% of the time.  And if it's put outside as most QB's would attempt, then he gets a pick in his first career game in CLE.

But it wasn't, because he had the misfortune of going against probably the most lethal QB/WR combo in the NFL.    It's a fluky, lucky, incredibly stupid yet amazingly talented play.   So as I said earlier, you really just have to shake your head.  Because you SHOULDN'T see this sort of thing and outside of these two, you really don't at any level. 

JJ3 didn't get "toasted", "torched", "burned" or whatever stupid fucking adjective you'd like to toss out there.  He put himself in great position and Tyreek just made an all-pro play. You win some, like we did earlier forcing the near INT - and you lose some.... like this.   Nothing more, nothing less.

Catch.thumb.jpg.29b2a9f18b7b629f943282879de4d276.jpg

Now, has anyone besides myself put in the work to further understand the nuances to what we saw with the coverage, pass rush and alignments we saw on defense?    Or are you still firing from the hip and pretending to know what you're talking about?

This is a great breakdown of this play....There is an element of luck AND controlled chaos here.   KC designs plays to get Hill VS 1 guy and heading to space and Mahomes will chuck it in a general direction where he thinks Hill can run under it.  An example would be the Jet Chip Wasp play they ran VS the niners in the Super Bowl....not really a specific precise route by Hill..but designed to get the safety to bite on the TE and then you just throw to the general area.