THE BROWNS BOARD

Greatest Movie Ever

calfoxwc

After we went out west - drive through N. tip of Colorado, through far west Montana, spent 7 days at Custer State Park, west to the Badlands twice, went to the Visitor Center, etc etc etc....heard a presentation from Ryan Little Eagle, have maybe 150 pics and videos of a lot of bison right next to our car.....

it gives a whole new amazement at the making of "Dances With Wolves".

https://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/blog/2009-09-21/costners-connection-black-hills

we have pics of us with these statues - they are amazing. Costner explains that originally he had them made

for a hotel in that area....but later put them at the Visitor's center.

Actually, I think we drove about 4000 miles altogether. It was an awesome adventure of a lifetime.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2021 at 8:58 PM, calfoxwc said:

After we went out west - drive through N. tip of Colorado, through far west Montana, spent 7 days at Custer State Park, west to the Badlands twice, went to the Visitor Center, etc etc etc....heard a presentation from Ryan Little Eagle, have maybe 150 pics and videos of a lot of bison right next to our car.....

it gives a whole new amazement at the making of "Dances With Wolves".

https://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/blog/2009-09-21/costners-connection-black-hills

we have pics of us with these statues - they are amazing. Costner explains that originally he had them made

for a hotel in that area....but later put them at the Visitor's center.

Actually, I think we drove about 4000 miles altogether. It was an awesome adventure of a lifetime.

I have not seen this place so I will put it on my bucket list.

https://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/business/tatanka-story-bison

And since you liked your entire trip let me recommend this novel to you which was published at the 100th year of Colorado statehood in 1976

by this famous author for whom the library at the U. of Northern Colorado was named. He did a lot of his research and writing in that library. 

I started a grad degree program there and the novel came out when I was there. It is well worth a read or a listen on Audible.

51Up+nmYhZL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

BTW Centennial is a thinly disguised name for Greeley, Colo. where Michener wrote the novel.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And since you liked your entire trip let me recommend this novel to you which was published at the 100th year of Colorado statehood in 1976

by this famous author for whom the library at the U. of Northern Colorado was named. He did a lot of his research and writing in that library. 

I started a grad degree program there and the novel came out when I was there. It is well worth a read or a listen on Audible.

BTW Centennial is a thinly disguised name for Greeley, Colo. where Michener wrote the novel.

I did read Chesapeake and liked it a lot.

WSS

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I will get a copy of that. Right now, I am reading... it is really terrific - about this man who was a frontiersman who had many, many adventures out west. 9781886609099-uk-300.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Another book - (we got several at a garage sale in some town - new development in S. Dakota)... we bought and read -

"Crying Wind" - a fascinating autobiography....a look at the poverty stricken life of a 15 year old American Indian girl on a reservation - and her struggles to understand life around her, and understand their religious views - who moved into town...and learned to adapt to town life....

it's funny at times, early on it's very tragic and sad often, and uplifting later on. Not a big book. Just a special one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crying_Wind

2715057.jpg

9 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I did read Chesapeake and liked it a lot.

WSS

I may have to download that on Audible. I have been using that for many books because I have a reading disability that keeps me reading everything at the pace of a history book, i.e. slowwwwwwwwwwwww.  LOL! It's been a blessing. I completed the second of Shelby Foote's Civil War trilogy ((I read the first on my own) and Rise and Fall of the Third Reich which I have in hardback, but never attempted until Audible.

Right now I'm listening to Don Quixote, another I always wanted to read. I fly to London non-stop next week and plan to keep listening. I listen while on my bike for an hour every day if the weather permits. Eventually I will get the 3rd Shelby Foote book. I have signed Easton Press leatherbound copies of the 3. Good thing he signed before he croaked. 🐸

• Like 1

7 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I will get a copy of that. Right now, I am reading... it is really terrific - about this man who was a frontiersman who had many, many adventures out west.

In the novel he talks about a place called Rattlesnake Buttes which in actuality is Pawnee Buttes in the Pawnee National Grasslands NE of Greeley. He called it that because there really are a ton of rattlesnakes out there. Those grasslands could have passed for the area in Dances With Wolves. Been out there just to see what he was describing. It was part of the territory of the great northern Buffalo herd.

13 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I may have to download that on Audible. I have been using that for many books because I have a reading disability that keeps me reading everything at the pace of a history book, i.e. slowwwwwwwwwwwww.  LOL! It's been a blessing. I completed the second of Shelby Foote's Civil War trilogy ((I read the first on my own) and Rise and Fall of the Third Reich which I have in hardback, but never attempted until Audible.

Right now I'm listening to Don Quixote, another I always wanted to read. I fly to London non-stop next week and plan to keep listening. I listen while on my bike for an hour every day if the weather permits. Eventually I will get the 3rd Shelby Foote book. I have a signed Easton Press leatherbound copies of the 3. Good thing he signed before he croaked. 🐸

I hear you. I have been binging Cormac McCarthy the last few weeks.

WSS

On 10/14/2021 at 5:19 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

In the novel he talks about a place called Rattlesnake Buttes which in actuality is Pawnee Buttes in the Pawnee National Grasslands NE of Greeley. He called it that because there really are a ton of rattlesnakes out there. Those grasslands could have passed for the area in Dances With Wolves. Been out there just to see what he was describing. It was part of the territory of the great northern Buffalo herd.

no surprise, we drove through the Pawnee National Grasslands on our way to Fort Collins Colorado. It is fascinating to see.

https://www.uncovercolorado.com/national-lands/pawnee-national-grassland/

12 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

no surprise, we drove through the Pawnee National Grasslands on our way to Fort Collins Colorado. It is fascinating to see.

https://www.uncovercolorado.com/national-lands/pawnee-national-grassland/

Did you drive close enough to see the twin Buttes? They are very distinctive out there, but just a little off main roads. But you can certainly see a long way with no trees to block the views.

10 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Did you drive close enough to see the twin Buttes? They are very distinctive out there, but just a little off main roads. But you can certainly see a long way with no trees to block the views.

I don't think we saw any of that.

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Oh I think there are a few films on that same level but not many and none better.

WSS

Shawshank comes about the closest for me...

22 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I wouldn't personally put it in the top 10 but it was fine.

WSS

I thought it was phenomenal and I also thought Morgan Freeman stole the show...

2 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Not picking on you it's just I think personally in my top 10 it doesn't make it..

WSS

Fair enough...

• 1 month later...

Lawrence of Arabia has to be up in that top 10 somewhere. One of my top 5 anyway.

I agree on Godfather I & II, but not III. It did not come close to the first two.

And lessor known is Out of Africa. I just loved the panoramic scenes and the true story behind it. Much was filmed on the original farm.

BTW-"Stella!!"

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/a-streetcar-named-desire-opens-on-broadway?cmpid=email-hist-tdih-2021-1203-12032021&om_rid=

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2021 at 12:23 PM, Westside Steve said:

Even a top-10 is too constricting. I would have a rough time between my number 10 and my number 11. Haha.

The 10 Commandments )Charlton Heston) is up there for me as well as Stanley Kubrick's 2001:A Space Oddessey

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I believe 2001 is a landmark but I don't think it stands the test of time as well as some others.

WSS 

It's one of those movies that requires a lot of inner interpretation I suppose... Not everyone gets it... For me it was a deep , stark look into humanity... Where we began.. Where we might end up...