THE BROWNS BOARD

Kicking woes all ready ?

calfoxwc

My opinion, Parkey isn't the kicker. Put him on the practice squad......

Parkey has choked so far in practice. We'll see. I just cringe when he comes on the field.

https://www.brownsnation.com/cody-parkey-has-rough-day-2-of-training-camp/

Cody Parkey Has Rough Day 2 Of Training Camp

11 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

My opinion, Parkey isn't the kicker. Put him on the practice squad......

Parkey has choked so far in practice. We'll see. I just cringe when he comes on the field.

https://www.brownsnation.com/cody-parkey-has-rough-day-2-of-training-camp/

Cody Parkey Has Rough Day 2 Of Training Camp

I would love nothing better than to move on from him... He's average at best...

We’ve now entered the First World problem phase.  We’ve made it.

With SB aspirations and the Extra Point no longer being a chip shot we need a better kicker.  Or I’m strong advocate that we need to get our mad scientist play caller to give us an edge and go for two. 

The new guy should be a windy cold weather kicker and he should come with Phil Dawson as a consultant teaching him the nuances of the stadium. 

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

We’ve now entered the First World problem phase.  We’ve made it.

With SB aspirations and the Extra Point no longer being a chip shot we need a better kicker.  Or I’m strong advocate that we need to get our mad scientist play caller to give us an edge and go for two. 

The new guy should be a windy cold weather kicker and he should come with Phil Dawson as a consultant teaching him the nuances of the stadium. 

I do NOT want Cody Parkey to become Scott NorWIDE!

4 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Yes!  Any pro kicker should be ok in August.  But in Cleveland it's quite difficult to knock it through from late October on...

Where's Nero to send us someone good?

The Browns had 2 chances at former Bears kicker Robbie Gould..

1. 2016 with bailing Sashi & Hue.. Gould decided to go play for the Giants 👀

2) 2017.. I really thought Dorsey would pull this move off... But alas... Haslam stuck Dorsey with Hue Jackson 🙄

Shanny & John Lynch should have been Gould's easy choice..Even if his phone rang from us..

Gould since 2016...  

Games 0-19 20-29 30-39 40-49 50+ Scoring Kickoffs Punting
Year Tm G GS FGA FGM FGA FGM FGA FGM FGA FGM FGA FGM FGA FGM FG% XPA XPM XP% KO KOYds TB TB% KOAvg Pnt Yds Lng Blck Y/P
Average 14 0     6.4 6.2 8.6 8 10 9 2.8 1.6 27.8 24.8   32.4 30.4   13 697.6 4 6.2% 10.7 0 0   0  
Per 16 Games 16 0     7 7 10 9 11 10 3 2 32 28   37 35   15 797 5 7% 12 0 0   0  
2016-2020 NYG,SFO 70 0     32 31 43 40 50 45 14 8 139 124 89.2% 162 152 93.8% 65 3488 20 30.8% 53.7 0 0 0 0  

Gould is still the 49'ers kicker at age 39 

Awesome Dawson.. should have never ended his career as a Cardinal

That's all the kicker talk I can bear 🐻 to handle in one day..🤓 

I definitely have this potentially silly fear of a kicker causing us to fall short of our goals. The Ravens beat us with a FG last year during that crazy game. You feel good about Cody making that kick? 

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I definitely have this potentially silly fear of a kicker causing us to fall short of our goals. The Ravens beat us with a FG last year during that crazy game. You feel good about Cody making that kick? 

Fuck no and I'm sure Priefer isnt either..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Truthfully I feel more confident either going for it on 4th down or going for two with our line, backs, WR/TE and our play caller 

The Steelers did that approach a few years back 

• Like 1

As I recall, Parkey wasn't bad last year.  I liked him better than that Siebert guy we drafted.   But there's room for improvement.  I don't think they're very confident in him on the long FGs.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

As I recall, Parkey wasn't bad last year.  I liked him better than that Siebert guy we drafted.   But there's room for improvement.  I don't think they're very confident in him on the long FGs.

When is the last time we had confidence in a guy outside of 40 yards since Dawson? It sucks having to hold your breath every time an extra point is kicked, let alone a field goal 40+. I guess  with a loaded O and D you can’t complain too much about the place kicker position 

8 hours ago, Comeonman said:

When is the last time we had confidence in a guy outside of 40 yards since Dawson? It sucks having to hold your breath every time an extra point is kicked, let alone a field goal 40+. I guess  with a loaded O and D you can’t complain too much about the place kicker position 

Yeah?... Just ask the Buffalo Bills how they feel about Scott NorWIDE!

1 hour ago, ATOM said:

who was that guy with the single bar and handle bar mustache 

image.jpeg.9813f0b245d800073dcc1baab208e41b.jpeg    image.jpeg.f43baba92142636380fc9bfcb7ad5162.jpeg   Memories from Club 46: Phil Dawson recalls famous, improbable 2007 snow  kick: 'I have no shot of making this'   our home-less of fame... says Cockroft 

On 8/4/2021 at 8:58 PM, Orion said:

Parkey isnt bad  as far as his FG and XP % he is right in he middle 15th or so on the NFL last year.  Maybe he can improve and get in the top 10

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 3:39 PM, Orion said:

Where's Nero to send us someone good?

Messi?

He could be looking for a new challenge.

Or maybe you had Nero in mind?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Orion said:

:)  Once he got bent out of shape because I dissed our kicker draft pick.

I don't remember that, but could be true. 

I would gladly make some Spain's national team defenders leave soccer for good and switch to American Football... 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 1:25 PM, jiggins7919 said:

To be honest, Parkey has actually been an above average kicker and did fine last year. I'm fine with a veteran guy who has been in Cleveland for a while. The craziest stat, though, is that he didn't attempt ONE 50+ yard field goal last year. That's a bit unsettling, but was 10-11 from 40-49.

My much bigger worry is that the ghosts of the missed playoff field goal(s) give the man the yips in a pivotal moment, to your point. I can't imagine that shit is easy to just shake off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrb12711 said:

To be honest, Parkey has actually been an above average kicker and did fine last year. I'm fine with a veteran guy who has been in Cleveland for a while. The craziest stat, though, is that he didn't attempt ONE 50+ yard field goal last year. That's a bit unsettling, but was 10-11 from 40-49.

My much bigger worry is that the ghosts of the missed playoff field goal(s) give the man the yips in a pivotal moment, to your point. I can't imagine that shit is easy to just shake off.

His yips were monumentally disastrous and brought a really good Bears team at home out of the playoffs.  Sorry we don’t need that in our window of opportunity.

And we need someone that can shake off the dust and boot it 50+ yard

i have no patience for poor kicking especially when some of these guys playing on Saturday can really get it done hell even a few on Friday night 

Last couple camp reports l saw the new guy is outperforming Parkey. Chase McLaughlin is the guy’s name. wasn’t our last camp leg a Mc-something? Is Berry trying go full on Braveheart with the kicker room?

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2021/8/10/22619050/cleveland-browns-training-camp-recap-day-11-garrett-sits-with-injury

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

His yips were monumentally disastrous and brought a really good Bears team at home out of the playoffs.  Sorry we don’t need that in our window of opportunity.

i have no patience for poor kicking especially when some of these guys playing on Saturday can really get it done hell even a few on Friday night 

Yes and no. 

He scored 9 of the 15 points by the Bears on that game (3/3 on FGs) and he was tipped in the infamous double doink. Which was a 43 yard FG in winter in Chicago, so it was no cheapshot. 

That play will be remembered, yes, he missed, yes. But I disagree that it was because of him that they lost. The offense wasn't good enough to complement the best defense of that year. 

5 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

he didn't attempt ONE 50+ yard field goal last year. That's a bit unsettling, but was 10-11 from 40-49.

As I recall, they didn't let him try many high 40's FG's either.  As I said earlier, they didn't seem to have much faith in him trying long FG's.  I think some fear is in his ability to kick it long enough.  And then there's fear of his ability to judge and 'play' the winds properly.  That's certainly a fear that I had last year.  

I really do wish that the Browns would hire Phil Dawson as a kicking coach/consultant (make up a name).  Phil knew how to kick in the winds/rain/snow's of that lakefront stadium.  He made some near impossible kicks.  

I would assume that a kicker would get better at 'playing' the weather conditions if allowed to have multiple seasons of experiencing the conditions (as Phil had).  It's that continuity thing again.  Continuity is so valuable.  But continuity for continuity's sake is counterproductive.  You have to have the right people (HC, GM, even kicker) first.  Is Parky the 'right' guy?  Is he the one to hang your hat on?  - Since we had FG's of great length scored ON us.....and we didn't even try them.....I'd have to think that's a bit unsettling to the brain-trust.  Parky is going to have to earn their trust.

9 hours ago, Nero said:

Yes and no. 

He scored 9 of the 15 points by the Bears on that game (3/3 on FGs) and he was tipped in the infamous double doink. Which was a 43 yard FG in winter in Chicago, so it was no cheapshot. 

That play will be remembered, yes, he missed, yes. But I disagree that it was because of him that they lost. The offense wasn't good enough to complement the best defense of that year. 

Yeah, I tend to agree with this narrative a bit more. I don't disagree that his miss was 'all-time' in terms of the double doink, but that wasn't a gimme either. I'm much more concerned about his ability to hit long kicks, at least in the short-term.

14 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

The problem is, though, these guys don't just grow on trees. I of course completely agree with you, but this is sort of like saying "I want a strong arm, mobile QB who doesn't throw any interceptions". Kicker is a weird position to get right in the NFL, IMHO 2nd toughest to get right after QB.

9 hours ago, Orion said:

As I recall, they didn't let him try many high 40's FG's either.  As I said earlier, they didn't seem to have much faith in him trying long FG's.  I think some fear is in his ability to kick it long enough.  And then there's fear of his ability to judge and 'play' the winds properly.  That's certainly a fear that I had last year.  

Looks like in a brief review his longest kick was from 46. Looks like with Chicago he only tried 2 from 50+ and hit one. This actually got me curious, though, at exactly how many 50+ kicks were made (and tried) last year. This led me to this link, which actually was a really cool read: https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/field-goal-trends-by-the-numbers/.

I think an interesting thing to consider as well is how often the Browns were in position to kick a 50+ vs punting or going for it, and what the team decided to do. THAT would be the real story with Cody. Interestingly, Boswell of the Steelers only attempted one. Another thing to consider is Cody only attempted 22 field goals last year, whereas the dudes bombing kicks (Koo, McManus, Sanders, etc) had at least a dozen more attempts. Would Cody have gotten some more 50+ looks if he had more attempts? Simple statistics would say yes, but who knows.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

an interesting thing to consider as well is how often the Browns were in position to kick a 50+ vs punting or going for it, and what the team decided to do.

Absolutely.  And I'd thought of that when I was composing my post.  And I remember that the Browns 'elected' not to go for the long FG more than once last year.  And whatever they did instead (go for it, punt) still comes down to a decision against attempting the FG based on their confidence.  Confidence in their ability to go for at and convert the 1st down.  Or in the case of a punt, the low confidence in the kicker being able to convert.  

**  remember the year that our punter was the team's mvp?  **   ...sad times they were...