THE BROWNS BOARD

Defensive Tackle

Zombo

7 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I can’t envision a scenario where we risk losing Tommy T to another team in just a four week training camp.  We’ve obviously seen tools to develop he was a 4th round pick.  

add me to this list ^^  https://www.bucsnation.com/2021/4/6/22370394/buccaneers-nfl-draft-target-defensive-tackle-tommy-togiai-ohio-state-buckeyes-tampa-bay 

TT's explosion numbers are just too high to waste at this point.. TT need's nfl coaching to develop, just as the same former 4th round pick Shelton Day.. ya ever heard of him?

TT needs to get low & drive.. And quit popping straight up at the snap 👀 would be a good start..

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

add me to this list ^^  https://www.bucsnation.com/2021/4/6/22370394/buccaneers-nfl-draft-target-defensive-tackle-tommy-togiai-ohio-state-buckeyes-tampa-bay 

TT's explosion numbers are just too high to waste at this point.. TT's need's nfl coaching to develop, just as the same former 4th round pick Shelton Day.. ya ever heard of him?

TT needs to get low & drive.. And quit popping straight up at the snap 👀 would be a good start..

Well, I'm not keeping him over Elliot who was drafted a year earlier, a round earlier, and is clearly ahead of him.

Togai and Fields are tricky ... they haven't earned roster spots, but they are rookie draft picks and need developed.

But we are a Super Bowl contender and we can't be forced to play someone who is not ready.

Now you know why I had a 55 man roster!

Z

• Upvote 1

P.S. Remember last year when they gave you four Protected practice squad players? Are they not doing that again? They should. Would be perfect for Togai and Fields.

You should be able to keep your draft pucks without weakening your team.

Z

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

P.S. Remember last year when they gave you four Protected practice squad players? Are they not doing that again? They should. Would be perfect for Togai and Fields.

You should be able to keep your draft pucks without weakening your team.

Z

From ESPN..

The NFL will carry over a series of 2020 roster rules designed to maintain adequate numbers if players are sidelined by positive COVID-19 tests in 2021.

The rules include:

• Expansion of practice squads to 16 players, including up to six who have more than two accrued seasons.

• The ability to protect up to four practice squad players *per week* from being signed by other teams.

• Elevation of up to two practice squad players to the active roster, without removing any current players, before 4 p.m. ET the day before a game.

• Elevation of an additional practice squad player within 90 minutes before kickoff in the event of a late COVID-19 positive test result.

• Players placed on injured reserve can return after three weeks, rather than six as in normal seasons.

• Removal of the limit for how many players can be activated from injured reserve.

• *Any roster'd player is exposed to the waiver wire once cut.. The Protected Practice Squad label cannot be attached until...  

•  Teams can designate four players every week that are protected from being signed by other teams. This protection starts on Tuesday each week, so every practice squad player is still available to be signed to the regular roster of another team after their team's game that week until the deadline on Tuesday.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Perfect ... Now I'm sending Toga and Fields to PS for sure, and protecting them each week.

Z

If l understand this bit correctly the player has to first be cut before the protected designation can be used, which means there would be a window of time where another team could sign them. From Gumby’s post…

*Any roster'd player is exposed to the waiver wire once cut.. The Protected Practice Squad label cannot be attached until... 

9 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

If l understand this bit correctly the player has to first be cut before the protected designation can be used, which means there would be a window of time where another team could sign them. From Gumby’s post…

*Any roster'd player is exposed to the waiver wire once cut.. The Protected Practice Squad label cannot be attached until... 

Ok ... boy that makes it tough then.

You gotta expose your draft picks,  and some shitty team like Jacksonville will grab them. 

So then you end up cutting good veteran special teamers like Lee and Natson because you're not going to give up on your draft picks.

Z

3 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

Mostly Correct ! When the major 53 man rosters are announced...*I'm not* expecting teams will be allowed to protect anyone, until the Tuesday before game week for PS's..

Final Cuts are due 4pm Tuesday Aug. 31st..

The first week 1 game is played Thursday Sept. 9th (Dallas at TB)..

I'd expect teams should be able to Protect 4 PS players on... Tuesday Sept,. 7th..( given the full week, would be Thursday Sept. 2nd..but, Not a Tuesday/league)

🤓 ( my fuzzy math thinks): (unless they extend from their own rule, (by 2 days), like quickly on teams 1st announced PS's)

There is a small window of *Vested* NFL Veteran players..(such as aka, Richard Sherman) that have waiver wire exception, only due to 4 years of accrued service

Vested Veteran – A Vested Veteran is a player with four (4) or more years of accrued service time.

Waivers – If a *Non-Vested Veteran (i.e. less than four (4) years of accrued service time) is released he is subject to a 24-hour waiver period during which teams can place a claim to that player.

@ 2:15.   Malik McDowell.  Starting from a shade, uses his wingspan and gets complete control of the guard, maintains sound pad level, arm extension and leg drive.   Just completely takes him for a ride.     Still needs to work on that first step explosion a bit and consistent pad level.  But the difference in player from his early days in the league to just this pre-season has been pretty impressive.

At 6'5 299lbs, I've been trying to go over in my head a player he reminds me of - closest I can come up with is Arik Armstead right now.    But that isn't a bad name at all.  He's a quality IDL for the Niners.

edit: Didn't realize how many snaps Arik plays on edge for the Niners.  Don't really see that here.  So a blend of two Oregon Boys... Buckner, in terms of his IDL position, but not as tall and a little heavier - Armstead.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrb12711 said:

If someone claims a cut player off waivers, are they required to put that person on their active 53 man roster? If that’s true, Togiai I think would be very safe to cut and add to practice squad. 

I don’t know…he was recruited by Urban…Urban knows him well.  I don’t know what their DT room looks like but Tommy T could be in play at Jax

On 8/28/2021 at 7:16 PM, Zombo said:

Well, I'm not keeping him over Elliot who was drafted a year earlier, a round earlier, and is clearly ahead of him.

Togai and Fields are tricky ... they haven't earned roster spots, but they are rookie draft picks and need developed.

But we are a Super Bowl contender and we can't be forced to play someone who is not ready.

Now you know why I had a 55 man roster!

Z

I agree.  Just because a guy is a draft pick or a fan fav from OSU is no reason to keep him on the 53.  If he clears waivers, sign him back.  If not, he simply wasn't as good as other players on the roster.

Are we running a popularity contest here or are we trying to build a winning football team?    There comes a point in a teams evolution that keeping guys based on promise over guys who can do it now need to end.  You have to make decisions that balance both of those factors.

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I agree.  Just because a guy is a draft pick or a fan fav from OSU is no reason to keep him on the 53.  If he clears waivers, sign him back.  If not, he simply wasn't as good as other players on the roster.

Are we running a popularity contest here or are we trying to build a winning football team?    There comes a point in a teams evolution that keeping guys based on promise over guys who can do it now need to end.  You have to make decisions that balance both of those factors.

I’m an OSU fan that’s not my issue at all.

Aside from just the recent flashes here and there Elliot did nothing in 13 months.  As opposed to Togiai who has had just a month of meaningful training camp snaps. 

you don’t normally expose guys drafted in first four or five rounds after a month of camp.  Clarett comes to mind, But I don’t think teams generally give up on guys that they select in that range that early in their career 

• Like 1

Ya can't be happier for a guy like Malik McDowell... hated the media picking his past over his future.. now that the story is told. Let It Go!....

He's honest and admits problems were of his own making and not playing the victim.

Jumped on his train early... No better place than The Land brother! Welcome !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/30/2021 at 7:32 PM, tiamat63 said:

trying to go over in my head a player he reminds me of - closest I can come up with is Arik Armstead right now.   

So a blend of two Oregon Boys... Buckner, in terms of his IDL position, but not as tall and a little heavier - Armstead.  

Tia, thought you'd like the overview here -- his NFL.com draft writeup.

"McDowell is raw, but when he flashes, it can be blinding."

• Upvote 1

I think it's pretty clear that we possibly got a steal with Malik McDowell. If he keeps his mind right, I can't imagine Malik not getting major snaps by the end of the first few games. He's totally massive and moves like a much smaller man. He can even play DE if needed. Now, to be fair, there's a HUGE difference in pushing a 3rd string LG back into Saskatchewan versus locking horns with a starter, but the talent is there. 

20 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Tia, thought you'd like the overview here -- his NFL.com draft writeup.

"McDowell is raw, but when he flashes, it can be blinding."

Well it's nice to see that they're also having the same body composition and play styles come to mind.    I was going to say Linval Joseph because he's another tall IDL, but he's a good 320+ where McDowell is probably 295ish.

Malik, along with Armstead and Bucker are tall, long wingspan players who win with that arm reach and leverage provided they can work on making pad level 2nd nature.     They can make for some awesome defensive weapons when the IOL you're facing likely has much shorter arm length than you.  

• 3 weeks later...