THE BROWNS BOARD

21 (Browns' questions) for '21

Tour2ma

Thought-provoking article....

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/07/recapping-21-cleveland-browns-questions-about-the-2021-season-as-training-camp-begins.html

1.) What changes will we see with the offense?

More 11 personnel looks? If true, then we should soon see a TE on the trade block.

"According to data from Sharp Football Stats -- the site we’re using for all of the data in this post -- the Browns were in 11 personnel, meaning one running back, one tight end and three receivers, on 41 percent of their offensive snaps in the regular season last year. The league average was 60 percent and only Minnesota (29 percent) and Tennessee (39 percent) used it less.

In the first three quarters of games, a filter used to weed out situations where a team is trying to come back or run out the clock, the number jumped slightly to 43 percent. Minnesota, San Francisco, Minnesota and Tennessee were the only teams who used it less.

Something interesting happened starting with Week 13 in Tennessee, however.

The Browns, in the first three quarters of games from Week 13 through the divisional round game in Kansas City -- excluding the Jets game, when they lost their top receivers due to COVID-19 contact tracing -- the Browns used 11 personnel on 55 percent of their offensive snaps. In the 12 weeks prior, it was 44 percent.

It’s still not a huge amount, but it’s a noticeable uptick towards the league average."

Next up: #2. Can Mayfield put together his first good, full season?

On 7/27/2021 at 3:15 PM, Tour2ma said:

Next up: #2. Can Mayfield put together his first good, full season?

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/06/can-baker-mayfield-put-together-his-first-full-good-season-21-questions-for-the-browns-in-21.html

Here are six reasons why Mayfield will put together his first full good season:

1. Second year in a system for the first time

2. The coaches know how to use him now

3. They’ll mix it up in Year 2

4. Odell Beckham Jr. is coming back

5. David Njoku is all in this time

6. The defense will be better

Works for me...

Next: #3... How will Baker Mayfield benefit from finally having continuity?

8 hours ago, Zombo said:

18 starts, 12 wins, 26 Tds, 8 Ints isn't a good full season?

Z

He really picked up his performance in the second half of the season, after a pedestrian first half. The overall stats were good, though, and he is trending up.

• Upvote 1

For a second I thought this was Dutch's Questions and I got excited. 

Mayfield had a turnaround and I think he is a great leader for this team. He doesn't need to be the best, he only needs to be his best and we will be in a good spot. 

5 hours ago, Nero said:

For a second I thought this was Dutch's Questions and I got excited. 

Mayfield had a turnaround and I think he is a great leader for this team. He doesn't need to be the best, he only needs to be his best and we will be in a good spot. 

About five weeks from now...

• Upvote 1

On 7/29/2021 at 10:47 PM, Zombo said:

18 starts, 12 wins, 26 Tds, 8 Ints isn't a good full season?

Z

I agree.  It's foolish to think that Baker hasn't had a good season.  Some people confuse good and great.  When is Chubb going to have a good season?  

21 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I agree.  It's foolish to think that Baker hasn't had a good season.  Some people confuse good and great.  When is Chubb going to have a good season?  

You gotta be kidding. Chubb has put top numbers all the seasons he has played for the Browns. Even when he got injured, his average numbers were great.