THE BROWNS BOARD

Removing Confederate generals statues

Saw this issue in another thread and there was a great point that the South were not traitors at all. They're merely wanted to secede. George Washington was actually a traitor but the winner writes the history.

And for you self-righteous liberals who are cheering on the destruction of US history because you believe the South were traitorous... The people you defend murdered how many civilians? Let's take a look...

https://www.facinghistory.org/resource-library/statistics-civil-war

So you hypocrites are actually defending war criminals. Nice work.

WSS

If you think the history only exists if statues, many of which that were put up decades later specifically as anti civil rights measures, remain up then you have a very simple brain. 

If you think a group that went to war with our country deserves to be celebrated in this county and really they're just misunderstood then you're so far deep in toting the modern conservative line that this conversation isn't going to go anywhere. 

Calling this a "destruction of US history" is a joke. Books, media, museums, etc all help preserve this history. It isn't done only by celebrating someone that went to war with our country. 

13 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

If you think the history only exists if statues, many of which that were put up decades later specifically as anti civil rights measures, remain up then you have a very simple brain. 

If you think a group that went to war with our country deserves to be celebrated in this county and really they're just misunderstood then you're so far deep in toting the modern conservative line that this conversation isn't going to go anywhere. 

Calling this a "destruction of US history" is a joke. Books, media, museums, etc all help preserve this history. It isn't done only by celebrating someone that went to war with our country. 

The joke is you woodpecker. First of all like with so many things you didn't give shit  number one until the Democrats started leading you around by your weenie. You didn't care about the Battle Flag on a TV show or a Lynyrd Skynyrd album and you didn't care about any of the Confederate memorials. 

And yes it was Abe Lincoln's idea to heal the country. You pretend to revere Lincoln but I you know your ass from a hole in the ground about him either.

And while you blather about civil rights you let mass murder of civilians go on with a big thumbs up. 

WSS

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Did you ever stop and think why they made Auschwitz a memorial and museum?

There are reasons you don’t destroy history.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

And if you believe that history isn't rewritten to fit the purposes of the different people who are telling the story you are truly out of your mind.

WSS

If you remove the evidence, you remove the deed!  

Those who ignore history are doomed to  repeat it.

8 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Saw this issue in another thread and there was a great point that the South were not traitors at all. They're merely wanted to secede. George Washington was actually a traitor but the winner writes the history.

And for you self-righteous liberals who are cheering on the destruction of US history because you believe the South were traitorous... The people you defend murdered how many civilians? Let's take a look...

https://www.facinghistory.org/resource-library/statistics-civil-war

So you hypocrites are actually defending war criminals. Nice work.

WSS

No they were traitors. That's why they had to be pardon for their treason. 

Now, therefore, be it known that I, Andrew Johnson, President of the United States, by virtue of the power and authority in me vested by the Constitution, and in the name of the sovereign people of the United States, do hereby proclaim and declare unconditionally, and without reservation, to all and to every person who directly or indirectly participated in the late insurrection or rebellion, a full pardon and amnesty for the offence of treason against the United States, or of adhering to their enemies during the late civil war, with restoration of all rights, privileges, and immunities under the Constitution and the laws which have been made in pursuance thereof. 

[December 25, 1868.- Granting full pardon and amnesty to all persons engaged in the late rebellion.] : By the President of the United States of America. A proclamation ... Done at the City of Washington, the twenty-fifth day of December, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-eight ... | Library of Congress (loc.gov)

13 minutes ago, cccjwh said:

No they were traitors. That's why they had to be pardon for their treason. 

Now, therefore, be it known that I, Andrew Johnson, President of the United States, by virtue of the power and authority in me vested by the Constitution, and in the name of the sovereign people of the United States, do hereby proclaim and declare unconditionally, and without reservation, to all and to every person who directly or indirectly participated in the late insurrection or rebellion, a full pardon and amnesty for the offence of treason against the United States, or of adhering to their enemies during the late civil war, with restoration of all rights, privileges, and immunities under the Constitution and the laws which have been made in pursuance thereof. 

[December 25, 1868.- Granting full pardon and amnesty to all persons engaged in the late rebellion.] : By the President of the United States of America. A proclamation ... Done at the City of Washington, the twenty-fifth day of December, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-eight ... | Library of Congress (loc.gov)

pardoned for the REBELLION, NOT TREASON. They were NOT TRYING TO OVERTHROW THE GOV. Try to find "treason" in your quote in red.

They wanted to secede.(why do we always have to be the lefties dictionary? Oh yeah, because they use words only emotionally, not accurately

treason

noun

English Language Learners Definition of treason

: the crime of trying to overthrow your country's government or of helping your country's enemies during war

12 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

pardoned for the REBELLION, NOT TREASON. They were NOT TRYING TO OVERTHROW THE GOV. Try to find "treason" in your quote in red.

They wanted to secede.(why do we always have to be the lefties dictionary? Oh yeah, because they use words only emotionally, not accurately

treason

noun

English Language Learners Definition of treason

: the crime of trying to overthrow your country's government or of helping your country's enemies during war

offence of treason against the United States

You must have missed it the first time.

47 minutes ago, cccjwh said:

The sentence you cited seems to be a misnomer. It only implies treason.

No one was ever tried for the offense of treason.

My understaning is that in order to be pardoned for a crime, one would of had to be first found guilty of it, no?

Whether Lee or Underwood realized it, there were also some serious constitutional and legal obstacles in the path of a conviction—or even a trial—for treason. For one thing, the Constitution’s definition of treason is really a very narrow one, and much would dangle on the exact meaning of “levying war.”
Abraham Lincoln had insisted from the beginning that since war is a condition that exists only between two sovereign nations, and since the Confederacy was in his view only an insurrection, no actual war legally existed between the North and the South. 

Cal owned you on this one.

Nothing ever changes.

36 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

Leave them up or take them down, I couldn’t care less. Claiming secession, achieved through war, isn’t treason, that’s another topic for another day.

https://constitutioncenter.org/interactive-constitution/interpretation/article-iii/clauses/39

https://www.law.virginia.edu/news/201710/was-secession-legal

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

Lol love it.  Let’s examine the 2nd Amendment in the same light.

The Second Amendment is a thing of the past. Unfortunately or not depending on your point of view.

But do take note at the North wanted to punish the South and that they didn't dare go to the Supreme Court and take the risk of acquittal. But again like I said if trees in the such a big deal to any of you guys how can you possibly follow George Washington?

WSS

3 hours ago, Gorka said:

The sentence you cited seems to be a misnomer. It only implies treason.

No one was ever tried for the offense of treason.

My understaning is that in order to be pardoned for a crime, one would of had to be first found guilty of it, no?

Whether Lee or Underwood realized it, there were also some serious constitutional and legal obstacles in the path of a conviction—or even a trial—for treason. For one thing, the Constitution’s definition of treason is really a very narrow one, and much would dangle on the exact meaning of “levying war.”
Abraham Lincoln had insisted from the beginning that since war is a condition that exists only between two sovereign nations, and since the Confederacy was in his view only an insurrection, no actual war legally existed between the North and the South. 

Cal owned you on this one.

Nothing ever changes.

Welcome Back!

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, cccjwh said:

I said IN RED. Yes, I missed "treason" in the entire document - but just because he SAYS "treason" doesn't mean it's true per the actual definition of treason. If I were president and granted you a pardon for being from a distant galaxy, does that mean you are from a distant galaxy? of course not.

It is NOT treason. It was a rebellion to LEAVE the union, not to overthrow the union. If the south were to have given help to the British during the revolutionary war, that would have been treason.

Were it treason, it would be treasonous to grant a full pardon to all those who committed it.

• Upvote 1

By the way he equating secession with treason didn't come about with the Supreme Court until 1869 four years of Civil War was over. To rub salt into the wound since butchering thousands upon thousands of innocent civilian, men women and children s wasn't good enough.

If treason ever meant anything to you liberal clowns in the first place. Which I doubt.

WSS

You gotta love when toting the party line loops so far back on itself that the "Real Americans" are lining up to defend and celebrate those that went to war with the US. Amazing.

The sane hypocrisy happens with spending, govt power, etc though so it's not a surprise... 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

You gotta love when toting the party line loops so far back on itself that the "Real Americans" are lining up to defend and celebrate those that went to war with the US. Amazing.

The sane hypocrisy happens with spending, govt power, etc though so it's not a surprise... 

Just recently look at Comey, Fauci & Pence.  They were all great when they peddled the right narrative.  As soon as they diverged, they were all scumbags

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Nobody on the right has wanted every vestige of the Confederacy wiped off the face of the Earth. Not until the liberals and power-mad Democrats told people like you to be offended.

Fauci was nobody and nobody cared about you one way or the other and the only reason you like the incompetent old quack is because he made faces standing behind Trump not because he knew his ass from a hole in the ground.

And I agree with Mike Pence it's time to give up the idea that the election is ever going to be made fair. That train has left the station.

WSS

49 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Nobody on the right has wanted every vestige of the Confederacy wiped off the face of the Earth. Not until the liberals and power-mad Democrats told people like you to be offended.

Fauci was nobody and nobody cared about you one way or the other and the only reason you like the incompetent old quack is because he made faces standing behind Trump not because he knew his ass from a hole in the ground.

And I agree with Mike Pence it's time to give up the idea that the election is ever going to be made fair. That train has left the station.

WSS

Where did I say we should wipe every trace of the confederacy of the map? Please, show me. 

Go ahead, I'll wait 

You're so confident I know it must be there somewhere.

Go ahead

I mean just take a break from you falling for the big election lie like a sucker and just find where I want to completely wipe the confederacy from this earth.

Surely you're not being a hyperbolic little typical Steve, right? Surely I said that and it'll be plain to see. I definitely didn't clearly reference museums, books, etc. 

So go ahead ....

2 hours ago, BaconHound said:

Just recently look at Comey, Fauci & Pence.  They were all great when they peddled the right narrative.  As soon as they diverged, they were all scumbags

You gotta love the politicization of scientific and medical issues...  Great way to hold the entire country back

14 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Where did I say we should wipe every trace of the confederacy of the map? Please, show me. 

Go ahead, I'll wait 

You're so confident I know it must be there somewhere.

Go ahead

I mean just take a break from you falling for the big election lie like a sucker and just find where I want to completely wipe the confederacy from this earth.

Surely you're not being a hyperbolic little typical Steve, right? Surely I said that and it'll be plain to see. I definitely didn't clearly reference museums, books, etc. 

So go ahead ....

Horseshit . Are you ok with the Confederate flag and all Confederate memorials being removed? All the statues of Confederate generals? Changing the names of forts that were named after Confederate Warriors?

And one more time you didn't give a s*** about it until the Liberals told you to.

WSS

37 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Horseshit . Are you ok with the Confederate flag and all Confederate memorials being removed? All the statues of Confederate generals? Changing the names of forts that were named after Confederate Warriors?

And one more time you didn't give a s*** about it until the Liberals told you to.

WSS

I don't live in the South. I don't see monuments to the losing side. I don't see a country that went to war with us being celebrated. I'm also not black and don't have black ancestors. But I have the mental capacity to understand why someone may have a problem with something that doesn't directly affect me (I know, a crazy concept for many posters on here). This would not be an issue I would be aware of otherwise until it was brought up.

I have no problem removing statues and celebrations of traitors. Especially when you learn the true history of a lot of these confederate celebrations (to go against the civil rights movement). Is it my top issue? No, it isn't. But this also seems pretty cut and dry. Seeing conservatives make arguments to keep these monuments to people that literally went to war with America, and then have those same people talk about how Real America they are, is hilarious. 

Museums, books, etc. still exist. These statues should be in museums with honest, accurate recounts of what actually happened. They should be getting erected decades later by the daughters of the confederacy to scare black people only so conservatives decades after that can fight to keep them up and act like they've been there since the war ended.

Removing a public statue celebrating individuals that fought the united states for the ability to continue to enslave another race and putting that statue in a museum (while continuing to have numerous books and media options talking about the civil war) is not erasing any history. It isn't rewriting any history. There is already an attempt to rewrite history in regards to these monuments, school names, etc. The vast majority were erected 50 years after the civil war during Jim Crow. Another spike occurred almost 100 years after the war during the civil rights movement. The intentions couldn't have been more obvious...

Confederate_monuments,_schools_and_other

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

I don't live in the South. I don't see monuments to the losing side. I don't see a country that went to war with us being celebrated. I'm also not black and don't have black ancestors. But I have the mental capacity to understand why someone may have a problem with something that doesn't directly affect me (I know, a crazy concept for many posters on here). This would not be an issue I would be aware of otherwise until it was brought up.

I have no problem removing statues and celebrations of traitors. Especially when you learn the true history of a lot of these confederate celebrations (to go against the civil rights movement). Is it my top issue? No, it isn't. But this also seems pretty cut and dry. Seeing conservatives make arguments to keep these monuments to people that literally went to war with America, and then have those same people talk about how Real America they are, is hilarious. 

Museums, books, etc. still exist. These statues should be in museums with honest, accurate recounts of what actually happened. They should be getting erected decades later by the daughters of the confederacy to scare black people only so conservatives decades after that can fight to keep them up and act like they've been there since the war ended.

Removing a public statue celebrating individuals that fought the united states for the ability to continue to enslave another race and putting that statue in a museum (while continuing to have numerous books and media options talking about the civil war) is not erasing any history. It isn't rewriting any history. There is already an attempt to rewrite history in regards to these monuments, school names, etc. The vast majority were erected 50 years after the civil war during Jim Crow. Another spike occurred almost 100 years after the war during the civil rights movement. The intentions couldn't have been more obvious...

Confederate_monuments,_schools_and_other

First and foremost that's a long-winded way of saying that I was correct. Second who cares about Jim Crow? (Which I don't think you or your candidate Joe Biden even understand) These men weren't fighting because they hated Negroes, nor was the Union Army fighting because they loved them, they were fighting because they loved their families their neighbors and their homes. Simply that.

[And thousands upon thousands of men women and children raped murdered their homes and crops burned and their possessions looted by the war criminals from the north who you apparently support now.]

WSS

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

First and foremost that's a long-winded way of saying that I was correct. Second who cares about Jim Crow? (Which I don't think you or your candidate Joe Biden even understand) These men weren't fighting because they hated Negroes, nor was the Union Army fighting because they loved them, they were fighting because they loved their families their neighbors and their homes. Simply that.

[And thousands upon thousands of men women and children raped murdered their homes and crops burned and their possessions looted by the war criminals from the north who you apparently support now.]

WSS

And with that last typical Steve attempt to put words in my mouth I'm going to end this back and forth. 

You're pulling the party line to the point you're supporting people that were, by definition, anti American. 

We're not going to get anywhere with this. You'll zig and zag and do you're typical nonsense.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

And with that last typical Steve attempt to put words in my mouth I'm going to end this back and forth. 

You're pulling the party line to the point you're supporting people that were, by definition, anti American. 

We're not going to get anywhere with this. You'll zig and zag and do you're typical nonsense.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

And of course thanks for the typical Woody non-response.

WSS

• Haha 1