THE BROWNS BOARD

Mayfield Contract Situation

SdBacker80

Series of questions on the Baker contract situation....

So when does this get done?

is it Before or after any or all of the 2018 QB class (Allen, Jackson)?

What does he deserve?  

What does he get?

F371F628-F00F-4822-8B4E-ED78486403C0.thumb.jpeg.81308120a9ff4ef1d2b1de12f78d7a95.jpeg

Would you give him a new contract? Tell me years and money? 

I hope the Browns give a contract ASAP, so teams like Buffalo and Baltimore will have to pay their QBs more.

Because I have a feeling Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson's agents will tell their teams "Hey, Cleveland just signed Baker Mayfield $37.5 mill a year, and our guy is better than him."

10 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Series of questions on the Baker contract situation....

So when does this get done? Browns bye week 2021

is it Before or after any or all of the 2018 QB class (Allen, Jackson)? Before Both

What does he deserve?  38M/per

What does he get? 38.5M

F371F628-F00F-4822-8B4E-ED78486403C0.thumb.jpeg.81308120a9ff4ef1d2b1de12f78d7a95.jpeg

Would you give him a new contract? YES !

Tell me years and money? 4y/155M==38.5M base w/added incentives...85M guaranteed 😯.. (I'm not saying Baker's agent would even sign this deal) 

If I'm playing players agent 🤓 They all want Dak's number knowing a new TV deal cap number is coming? They may all 3 play on the franchise tag in 2022...

Remember ...The Paul Depo games..   

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/02/how-browns-guardrails-could-impact-extension-decisions/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ranking-the-browns-contract-extension-priorities/ar-AALgByX?li=BBnbfcL

Scott Petrak is running out of days...  

Q: Who gets extended first? Denzel Ward, Nick Chubb, Baker Mayfield? And when?

— @Russell_tos

A: Mayfield. July 31.

But I wouldn’t bet the house on either. While I expect the Browns to prioritize an extension with Mayfield because he’s the quarterback and his contract will be the most expensive, he could choose to wait until next offseason if he’s not satisfied with the offer. A great 2021 season could bump Mayfield from $35 million a season to $42 million a season over a five-year deal, which might be worth waiting for if the Browns hesitate to go that high.

I fully expect Chubb to be next on the to-do list. If a deal with Mayfield doesn’t get done, then Chubb would be first. That should happen before Week 1.

I think Ward’s extension doesn’t happen until after the season.

• Upvote 1

In this crazy "he's getting this I'm as good or better.....I want more " sports and business world Mayfield should get $35-39 million or maybe more.

Look out if he actually wins something !  $40 M+.  It's called runaway wage inflation it's been going on in the sports and business world for a few decades now and is getting crazy.

Just ask is it worth $10 or $20 million a year to be a top notch quarterback...... probably, so why are they getting $35 or 40 million ?

Yes we don't want the mult billionaire owners to get all the easy money but it is taxing sports to the breaking point.

So what's the answer ?  Pay the top 10 quarterbacks $40 M plus ?  While you're at it Jack the season tickets to $2,000+ for 8 games.

• Now just pay Baker $38 M and decide what to pay Chubb next........  :):(

Athletes have ten year window of max earnings power, if they are lucky. I begrudge them their millions far less than their business counterparts with their "Carried interest", borrowing against stock options and buying sports teams tax dodges.

I do not see us following the Rams/Eagles path. I don't see Baker getting a deal until after the '21 season.

There's a great team around him now and he needs to lead it to a cash to earn the cash.... if he does and therefore commands a marginally bigger contract then so be it... at least then we will know he can do it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

There's a great team around him now and he needs to lead it to a cash to earn the cash.... if he does and therefore commands a marginally bigger contract then so be it... at least then we will know he can do it.

I really see your point and you could end up being right. I think most people I speak to share your strategy. 

I guess a counterpoint would be Baker might play better without worrying about the contract situation. Not trying to press too much, not trying to earn that money, and focusing on the game and nothing else. A relaxed, confident quarterback. 

Now, people might say, "If a QB is that fragile, I don't want him, anyway!" and I would somewhat understand that aspect. Here's the thing that we ALL know more than ANYBODY:  you can't just find a QB whenever you want to. It simply doesn't work that way.

By the principles of supply and demand, Baker has ALL the leverage. If we don't pay him, somebody else would throw their lives at him. Think about how many teams would sell their family for a QB like Baker. Now, I can't realistically see Baker EVER hitting free agency, but if he did, lord knows where'd he go. You don't think PITTSBURGH would die for him? You don't think Baker would absolutely RELISH the chance to play his old team twice? 

The point is, Baker is a hot commodity, even before taking a snap this year. I fully anticipate Baker struggling week one, as the Chiefs had a near perfect game plan against us and forced Baker to make multiple near-perfect throws that are difficult to repeat. I realize we didn't have OBJ and that's huge, but it's going to be difficult to score again, I'd almost guarantee it. We're also likely to be down which will force us to throw...you get the idea. Not the best match up week 1, but after that, watch out. 

Management must also factor in intangibles, which is difficult to do. Baker has a very unique personality that fits extremely well with Cleveland. You might not think that matters, but I believe it does. Before the draft he famously said, "If anyone can turn around this franchise, it's going to be me." I was already majorly leaning towards Baker, but that absolutely sealed it for me.

So what are we talking about here? Waiting vs not waiting, right? That probably comes down to a final total of what...$40 million over the life of the contract? That's a semi-steep price for piece of mind, but in light of the Goff and Wentz SNAFU's...it could totally be worth it. 

The real question is, what do you do if Baker has a subpar season? THAT'S the question nobody wants to entertain because the options aren't fun to consider. To be fair, you never know what happens with free agency, QBs demanding trades, or whatever. But history generally tells us that great QBs don't generally appear from thin air. 

Personally, I'm signing Baker right the eff now, and I'm not looking back. The 4-5 million we'd save a year is the difference between having Wyatt Tellar and not having him. Keeping Chubb vs drafting a rookie. Figuring out how to keep Landry...you get the point. For the first time in basically forever, we have to be stingy with the purse strings. Every penny will count, as we have so many amazing players which require sizeable contracts. 

Anyway, I totally didn't mean to write another infamous Jiggins novel, so I don't blame anyone for not reading it. I was just having fun with the dilemma and putting some thoughts to paper. Can't wait to chat with you guys on the Tavern! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

........Anyway, I totally didn't mean to write another infamous Jiggins novel, so I don't blame anyone for not reading it. I was just having fun with the dilemma and putting some thoughts to paper. Can't wait to chat with you guys on the Tavern! 

I like the infamous Jiggins novels just let us know if you get an agent for the distribution rights.

I'm also looking forward to the CLE/JAX Jiggins 2021 home 🏘️ opener this year.

GO BROWNS,  we are ready for some football !

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Anyway, I totally didn't mean to write another infamous Jiggins novel,

Happens when you try to anticipate and counter every counterpoint... ;) but this was more of a novelette.

Just let it go... and see where the thread goes. Probably will stay more on topic than it's about to...

4 hours ago, Icecube said:

What happens when they get clapped by KC?

Blow it all up?

• Like 1

Well taken, Mr. Jiggins... x 2...

No more clips... although at least one from The Green Mile occurred to me.

Just shocked to see nothing about the following posted anywhere https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/07/browns-sign-rb-nick-chubb-to-a-four-year-contract-extension-per-report.html.

Seems cheap.... so onto Mayfield.

image.thumb.png.03459083860b7c112504e1f6f453de2b.png

On 7/28/2021 at 8:55 AM, jiggins7919 said:

Personally, I'm signing Baker right the eff now, and I'm not looking back. The 4-5 million we'd save a year is the difference between having Wyatt Tellar and not having him. Keeping Chubb vs drafting a rookie. Figuring out how to keep Landry...you get the point. For the first time in basically forever, we have to be stingy with the purse strings. Every penny will count, as we have so many amazing players which require sizeable contracts. 

Oh well... maybe next QB... ;)

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/08/josh-allens-43-million-a-year-contract-extension-is-exactly-why-browns-baker-mayfield-had-to-wait-and-per-sources-still-hasnt-had-any-substantive-talks-yet.html

Allen’s blockbuster deal is also precisely why there’s no way Mayfield could have signed his extension before Allen did, and it would also behoove him to see what fellow 2018 draft classmate Lamar Jackson receives from Baltimore before negotiating in earnest.

• Like 1

The Josh Allen bar has been set.  Does Baker deserve more or less?  Yes or no.

Will Baker demand more?  Yes or no.

In most cases, a simple yes or no answer to a complex question gets you to your starting point.

My answers are No and Yes.

The answers aren't a prediction or about what is going to happen.  Be honest.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ballpeen said:

More or less? that isn't a yes or no answer. lol It depends on the team. I think Baker will get a huge contract - but he also knows if he prices his contract too high to keep his offensive line, it's counter-productive.

No.

In most cases, a simple yes or no answer to a complex question gets you to your starting point.

9 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Does Baker deserve more or less?  Yes or no.

Wait, how the hell is that a yes or no question? 🤣

• Haha 2

On 8/7/2021 at 5:53 AM, ballpeen said:

The Josh Allen bar has been set. 

Does Baker deserve more or less?  Yes or no.

presser after Brown & Orange scrimmage...

Does this sound like a QB betting on himself & his team winning? 

Poker chips Card game GIF - Poker chips Card game Poker GIFs   fall where they may..

Let's Go Bake ! 👨‍🍳   

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Poker chips Card game GIF - Poker chips Card game Poker GIFs   fall where they may..

Let's Go Bake ! 👨‍🍳   

He's been betting on himself his whole life. Heisman Trophy,  #1 overall draft pick, first Browns Qb to win a playoff game in 26 years, so ...

Z

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Let's Go Bake ! 👨‍🍳   

And why not...he’s got a great rookie deal (much better than Lamar and even Josh)

He has more endorsements than most guys and he’s a very marketable personality. 

And he’s surrounded by a lot of talent.

He should do really well this coming season.  

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 5:53 AM, ballpeen said:

If you look at the numbers baker deserves more.  He's better in every category including rushing yards which blew my mind

48 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

He has more endorsements than most guys and he’s a very marketable personality. 

This is something that is going to make him a loooot of money for years to come. The guy’s a natural in front of the camera. Companies are dying to throw gobs of money at star athletes, but the problem is most of them can’t act. Look at how hard they try to milk the cardboard personality of Tom Brady. 

12 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

If you look at the numbers baker deserves more.  He's better in every category including rushing yards which blew my mind

Baker is protected far more than josh allen.  Allen had 0 running game baker has a better OL , TE , and RB ,WR are a tie.  

Could baker carry the team like josh allen did i dont think so.   The problem with baker everything has to be right for it to work he  isn't overcoming anything. if you have to pay him 250-300 Mil.  He is going to have to overcome some personnel issues moving forward. can he ? idk

2 hours ago, EastSideDawg said:

Baker is protected far more than josh allen.  Allen had 0 running game baker has a better OL , TE , and RB ,WR are a tie.  

Could baker carry the team like josh allen did i dont think so.   The problem with baker everything has to be right for it to work he  isn't overcoming anything. if you have to pay him 250-300 Mil.  He is going to have to overcome some personnel issues moving forward. can he ? idk

Well, Baker and the offense had the number 16 defense backing them up. Josh Allen and the Bill's offense had the #4 defense backing them up. They both got to the playoffs, and that is with OBJ hurt for the year. Baker has proven himself to be the real deal. He doesn't run like Mahomes or Allen, but they both have been injured running, too.

https://medium.com/sportsraid/best-nfl-defense-2020-ranking-football-ravens-steelers-chargers-patriots-49ers-saints-bucs-bears-vikings-28c64a1379b8

3 hours ago, EastSideDawg said:

Well Josh has continuity the same coach and coordinators the past three years.

He also lead the league in dropped INTs 21. So if he’s a little unlucky this season you could see a drop in his production. 

20 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

why does that matter? 

2 hours ago, EastSideDawg said:

why does that matter? 

Probably only in that it isn't fair to judge
Baker based solely on the criteria you mentioned.

8 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Well, Baker and the offense had the number 16 defense backing them up. Josh Allen and the Bill's offense had the #4 defense backing them up. They both got to the playoffs, and that is with OBJ hurt for the year. Baker has proven himself to be the real deal. He doesn't run like Mahomes or Allen, but they both have been injured running, too.

https://medium.com/sportsraid/best-nfl-defense-2020-ranking-football-ravens-steelers-chargers-patriots-49ers-saints-bucs-bears-vikings-28c64a1379b8

Then factually speaking.. One could make the case Baker Mayfield did more with less..