THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Indians have chosen new name

Vambo

8 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

It's garbage. I would imagine the people that are good with the new name don't give a damn about the Cleveland baseball team in the first place or baseball in general. Probably just enjoying the 'shock and offend' value of the whole thing.

Maybe they are trying to alienate the old fans and bring in a new crop of Baseball fans from gen Z? I don't imagine that's going to work just because of the pace of the game.

I think the real question is how will the new name play in Charlotte Nashville or Las Vegas.

WSS

true - a new city vying for a team is already woke enough to not want the "Indians"  monicker to hang them with "racist undertones".

(MLB is BS already having moved its allstar game from Atlanta to Denver on a different racist idea  - voter integrity) 

Im  (was) a lifelong fan going back to the cellar dweller years - and now I dont care anymore.

the pecker is right about us older fans "dying off"

maybe its because they (of his age group) cannot put forth a quality image and product on the field anymore - and we arent suckers to this bs

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, FairHooker11 said:

maybe its because they (of his age group) cannot put forth a quality image and product on the field anymore - and we arent suckers to this bs

"You damn kids get off our collective lawns."-FH🙄

9 hours ago, FairHooker11 said:

true - a new city vying for a team is already woke enough to not want the "Indians"  monicker to hang them with "racist undertones".

(MLB is BS already having moved its allstar game from Atlanta to Denver on a different racist idea  - voter integrity) 

Im  (was) a lifelong fan going back to the cellar dweller years - and now I dont care anymore.

I mean, baseball is all homeruns now, right? Or at least aimed towards that. It is kind of funny that the thing that is supposed to be the most exciting is now ruining the sport.

I've also heard older people complain about base runnning

Either way though I find the sport boring as hell so if it starts fading away I'm all for it

When anything happens l ask 3 questions. How will people view this now? How will they view it 10 years from now? How will they view it 100 years from now? It’s a mental trick to remove the reactionary immediacy of things and allows me to be ahead of the curve.

I have a couple bases of comparison. Before my time in the 1950s, my hometown team changed its name from the Reds to the Redlegs. This was due to the “red scare”, and commies were coming to get us, and commies were “reds”, so nobody wanted to be associated with the commies. 

On the one hand, that’s ridiculous, right? I mean we’re talking about a baseball franchise that had been around something like 40 years before the Russian Revolution. But such was the power of the immediacy of the Red Scare. Once everyone had their fill of fright they changed the name back, but here 70 years later we still use “Redlegs” as a fun interchangeable name for the hometown team with an interesting story behind it. 

In the 1990s l started my collegiate tenure as a Miami Redskin, but by the time l graduated l was a Miami Redhawk. There were some folks upset about that too back then. And even now, a little over 20 years later l run into the occasional older alumni who’s still a little crotchety about it, but those are few and far between and most people just accept that we’re the Redhawks. And in another 50 years it will be just like the Reds becoming the Redlegs, a footnote with a story behind it.

This too will eventually be a footnote with a story behind it. And for what it’s worth l am a baseball fan.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

I mean, baseball is all homeruns now, right? Or at least aimed towards that. It is kind of funny that the thing that is supposed to be the most exciting is now ruining the sport.

I've also heard older people complain about base runnning

Either way though I find the sport boring as hell so if it starts fading away I'm all for it

You love the fag sport, soccer.  Talk about fuking boring.

23 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

And thanks for proving my point.

WSS

Difference between you and me Woodrow is that I don't often like to s*** all over something just to spite people. I realize you don't care about baseball so it means absolutely nothing to you nor does tradition in most cases. You just don't like seniors so you want to f*** with something that means something to them. I think baseball is kind of boring but I do kind of love the tradition of the sport and the history. (PS anybody that was offended by the name Indians is just batshit crazy. They just like attention.)

WSS

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Difference between you and me Woodrow is that I don't often like to s*** all over something just to spite people. I realize you don't care about baseball so it means absolutely nothing to you nor does tradition in most cases. You just don't like seniors so you want to f*** with something that means something to them. I think baseball is kind of boring but I do kind of love the tradition of the sport and the history. (PS anybody that was offended by the name Indians is just batshit crazy. They just like attention.)

WSS

He's pretty pathetic.

10 minutes ago, The Cysko Kid said:

I personally think it's kind of lame and weak but it's not like I am a diehard baseball fan. If the Cleveland Guardians go to the world series I'll certainly support them. 

If, however, they suck shit for the next 75 years I smell a new legendary curse of chief wahoo

I wouldn't be surprised if all major league sports are getting closer and closer to Big Time wrestling and that the fix is in for them to go to the WS to make sure everybody sees that the politically correct way is the way to go.

WSS

On 7/24/2021 at 9:24 AM, Ibleedbrown said:

When anything happens l ask 3 questions. How will people view this now? How will they view it 10 years from now? How will they view it 100 years from now? It’s a mental trick to remove the reactionary immediacy of things and allows me to be ahead of the curve.

I have a couple bases of comparison. Before my time in the 1950s, my hometown team changed its name from the Reds to the Redlegs. This was due to the “red scare”, and commies were coming to get us, and commies were “reds”, so nobody wanted to be associated with the commies. 

On the one hand, that’s ridiculous, right? I mean we’re talking about a baseball franchise that had been around something like 40 years before the Russian Revolution. But such was the power of the immediacy of the Red Scare. Once everyone had their fill of fright they changed the name back, but here 70 years later we still use “Redlegs” as a fun interchangeable name for the hometown team with an interesting story behind it. 

In the 1990s l started my collegiate tenure as a Miami Redskin, but by the time l graduated l was a Miami Redhawk. There were some folks upset about that too back then. And even now, a little over 20 years later l run into the occasional older alumni who’s still a little crotchety about it, but those are few and far between and most people just accept that we’re the Redhawks. And in another 50 years it will be just like the Reds becoming the Redlegs, a footnote with a story behind it.

This too will eventually be a footnote with a story behind it. And for what it’s worth l am a baseball fan.  

That's probably true 10 years from now 20 years from now it won't matter. To be honest even though we pretend that it's so important history means nothing. It probably never did in the first place if you have a chance to watch one of the episodes of Robert Wuhl's Assume the Position.

The people who forced the name change or just modern-day Vandals. The real Vandals in history not the punks to spray paint buildings.

WSS

On 7/23/2021 at 6:04 PM, JAFBF said:

image.png.7b759fe453d957c57411dc9562bea5ba.png

image.png.c866ccecfda59bdf001a849a513779dc.png

Never really followed Baseball (Basketball not at all), but the Indians and the Reds were Teams that I'd pull for.

PC is in overdrive - has been, and always will be abhorrent.

Seeing as how Robert E Lee and Stonewall were leaders of armies which fought an armed rebellion against the United States - the very definition of treason - Wendy's tweet is a prime example of needing to think about your tweet before sending it.

But, as a Reds fan, the concept of a Reds-Guardians rivalry doesn't seem to have the same oomph as a Reds-Indians one.

1 hour ago, jbluhm86 said:

Seeing as how Robert E Lee and Stonewall were leaders of armies which fought an armed rebellion against the United States - the very definition of treason - Wendy's tweet is a prime example of needing to think about your tweet before sending it.

But, as a Reds fan, the concept of a Reds-Guardians rivalry doesn't seem to have the same oomph as a Reds-Indians one.

This is in reference to tearing down of Statues and the rewriting of History.

No need to think about it, most folk are against that.

2 hours ago, JAFBF said:

This is in reference to tearing down of Statues and the rewriting of History.

No need to think about it, most folk are against that.

if you think tearing down statues of traitors that fought the united states is "rewriting history" then you're in for a shock when you hear books and museums exist. 

7 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

if you think tearing down statues of traitors that fought the united states is "rewriting history" then you're in for a shock when you hear books and museums exist. 

It certainly is. That was Lincoln's doing in the first place to help heal the nation, something that you people are interested in whatsoever.

WSS

5 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

Actually, not true. The south was NOT trying to overthrow the gov, they wanted to leave. secede.

"treason

noun

English Language Learners Definition of treason

: the crime of trying to overthrow your country's government or of helping your country's enemies during war
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Actually, not true. The south was NOT trying to overthrow the gov, they wanted to leave. secede.

"treason

noun

English Language Learners Definition of treason

: the crime of trying to overthrow your country's government or of helping your country's enemies during war

That's actually a great Point Cal. When you get right down to it our founding fathers were the traitors. But they won.

Meaning that the Democrats hatred of treason is at the very least situational. But that's not really part of this conversation.

WSS

I don't think anybody on this board seriously supports the idea that we should have changed the name of the Cleveland Indians but let's say somebody here does oh, and isn't just being an a******..

For you guys, don't you think it's about time we changed the names of the Tuscarawas or Cuyahoga Rivers? How about the name of the city Sandusky? Or Ottawa County? And what will we change Lake Mohawk to? It never ends, like the outrage of democrats. 😆😆😆

WSS

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I don't think anybody on this board seriously supports the idea that we should have changed the name of the Cleveland Indians but let's say somebody here does oh, and isn't just being an a******..

For you guys, don't you think it's about time we changed the names of the Tuscarawas or Cuyahoga Rivers? How about the name of the city Sandusky? Or Ottawa County? And what will we change Lake Mohawk to? It never ends, like the outrage of democrats. 😆😆😆

WSS

Don't forget Cuyahoga County, and river, and National Park.

How about the "Browns" ?

It is the color of perceived racial discrimination.

Yea, we all know they were named after Paul Brown, but since when has that mattered too these lunatics ?

Probably further down their list, but they've already got the Redskins.