THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Battles / Browns Training Camp 2021

gumby73

8 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

own eyes 👀.. I clearly get your opinion though.. it takes me hours to weed out, the need to tweet... big nothings..

I only use the full Browns Daily pod to confirm matching media reports on players first.. I get more out of it, with muting Zagura & FF to the next play.. And hey! we might have talked Ward into putting on that bulk & a few pounds we talked about from pg.1.. 

I'm open to seeing Ward & Greedy playing closer to the 190 playing weight coming into camp..  

guessing I'm not against the new trend of tPackers  5' 10"'ish Jaire Alexander CB's playing at 196lbs..

Enjoyed watching Ward'ens presser from today... Reports & my vision say he's playing around 190 lbs. & looked every bit of it..He looked solid from the presser i saw... 

Considering he was 182lbs at combine and rookie year, his body has reach maturity.  Those 8lbs naturally come with filling out and training.

7 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Bootleg Football - Kollmann's weekly podcast - covers each AFCN team this week.  If you like long-form analysis, enjoy. Browns starts at 5:12.  Past [and future] episodes are worth digging into for knowledge of other rosters.

Watching his segment on Justin Fields.  Like several segments with his evaluation of collegiate players, I find myself disagreeing.   And being that this has been my QB, a guy I've watched every game of his for 2 years... I think I have a leg to stand on.

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Watching his segment on Justin Fields.  Like several segments with his evaluation of collegiate players, I find myself disagreeing.   And being that this has been my QB, a guy I've watched every game of his for 2 years... I think I have a leg to stand on.

He’s not ready or he just doesn’t have it? 

I absolutely hated the drafting site of Haskins going to the Bears...Matt Nagy is on thin ice and a messy play caller...Nagy will sink his own coaching ship...

It may take another John Dorsey trade to see Dwayne Haskins play? ;)...

Da' Browns ? Our ship is on a direct course...  

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/brownscamp-daily-defense-steps-up-on-day-4-as-browns-enter-day-of-rest

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

He’s not ready or he just doesn’t have it? 

I don't necessarily believe in the whole "X person doesn't have IT". (Notable exceptions: Weeden was obvious, Manziel was a trainwreck waiting to happen, Kizer was a big kid not ready to play chess)   I mean, I believe you can evaluate someone's highs, lows, in/consistencies, and presentable strengths along with their weaknesses.  I said after the NU game that Fields would fall regardless of what happened against Clemson.   Clemson was a team running on fumes at linebacker and secondary, their breeze through the ACC then the brick wall against Burrow and Co. all but proved that.  So Fields feasting on that secondary, while fucking awesome, was always much more of a possibility than a more disciplined defense such as Northwestern (crazy to say)

In watching Kollmann's video, I noticed he left out that NU game, and he left out the Clemson game from 2019 where he struggled pretty bad.  The Buckeye offense ran largely through Dobbins in 2019 and when Fields was forced to carry the load, he faltered at times.  The pick to Isiah Simmons was... just awful.  That first year, even into bowl season with the entire regular season under his belt, wasn't that much an improvement as a passer.  The running game and elite pass pro carried the team.  You'll notice that Fields was accredited with, I want to say, 13 sacks on that year?  Pretty damn high number.  That is indicative of a few things, none of them good.    I will say this, the NU could be called a bit "fluky", a thumb injury, starting receiver out... I get it.  Then he torched Clemson and didn't make similar mistakes to which he did the year previous.   But there was another little glaring problem - being better against an even trashier secondary isn't THAT great as a feat.   And the Buckeye offense was incredibly spotty at times in 2020.   I see the good, I really do.  He has the physical traits to be a good QB and I don't question his work ethic such as Dan Orlovsky does.  That is cliche' bullshit.  But some of the mental pre-snap, along with playing under duress while having the footwork necessary to change launch points within the pocket or to safely and consistently create space and the time to hit said window are my questions...        Clearly several GM's felt the same way I did after that NU game, you can go back through and view early days of my conversation with Gipper.    Fields was being touted as the guaranteed #2 QB until the B1G title game.  Then he took a tumble.  I wasn't the only one to see these things and have question.  

Justin also has the misfortunate of ending up in Chicago vs a place like San Fran.  So instead of ending up with a better offensive mind, a better Oline, a better running game and receivers - he has to make due with Matt Nagy, a so-so line, a spotty running game and decent receivers.   Sure the running game can benefit from Justin's legs, but any little mishap can be a season ending injury.    He just didn't end up in a good situation and it's beyond rare that a rookie just fixes a teams problems.  

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I don't necessarily believe in the whole "X person doesn't have IT". (Notable exceptions: Weeden was obvious, Manziel was a trainwreck waiting to happen, Kizer was a big kid not ready to play chess)   I mean, I believe you can evaluate someone's highs, lows, in/consistencies, and presentable strengths along with their weaknesses.  I said after the NU game that Fields would fall regardless of what happened against Clemson.   Clemson was a team running on fumes at linebacker and secondary, their breeze through the ACC then the brick wall against Burrow and Co. all but proved that.  So Fields feasting on that secondary, while fucking awesome, was always much more of a possibility than a more disciplined defense such as Northwestern (crazy to say)

In watching Kollmann's video, I noticed he left out that NU game, and he left out the Clemson game from 2019 where he struggled pretty bad.  The Buckeye offense ran largely through Dobbins in 2019 and when Fields was forced to carry the load, he faltered at times.  The pick to Isiah Simmons was... just awful.  That first year, even into bowl season with the entire regular season under his belt, wasn't that much an improvement as a passer.  The running game and elite pass pro carried the team.  You'll notice that Fields was accredited with, I want to say, 13 sacks on that year?  Pretty damn high number.  That is indicative of a few things, none of them good.    I will say this, the NU could be called a bit "fluky", a thumb injury, starting receiver out... I get it.  Then he torched Clemson and didn't make similar mistakes to which he did the year previous.   But there was another little glaring problem - being better against an even trashier secondary isn't THAT great as a feat.   And the Buckeye offense was incredibly spotty at times in 2020.   I see the good, I really do.  He has the physical traits to be a good QB and I don't question his work ethic such as Dan Orlovsky does.  That is cliche' bullshit.  But some of the mental pre-snap, along with playing under duress while having the footwork necessary to change launch points within the pocket or to safely and consistently create space and the time to hit said window are my questions...        Clearly several GM's felt the same way I did after that NU game, you can go back through and view early days of my conversation with Gipper.    Fields was being touted as the guaranteed #2 QB until the B1G title game.  Then he took a tumble.  I wasn't the only one to see these things and have question.  

Justin also has the misfortunate of ending up in Chicago vs a place like San Fran.  So instead of ending up with a better offensive mind, a better Oline, a better running game and receivers - he has to make due with Matt Nagy, a so-so line, a spotty running game and decent receivers.   Sure the running game can benefit from Justin's legs, but any little mishap can be a season ending injury.    He just didn't end up in a good situation and it's beyond rare that a rookie just fixes a teams problems.  

This is a fair assessment.  I don’t think he’s ready but I think the Bears will simplify it and ease him in and rely on his athleticism moving the pocket and cutting the field in half.  Having said that he will have some struggles next year.

His pre-snap game needs to improve.  He needs to diagnose defenses better and he needs better blitz anticipation.  He will get chewed up a little here next year but I think in his 20 or so starts at OSU he’s improved a lot here from the Fall of 2019.  He’s a worker and I don’t see him as the type to get discouraged so hopeful is where I am at with this area.

Can’t deny the arm talent and legs.  He’s made NFL throws throughout his time at OSU

Camp day 5 is in the books.. 

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2021/8/2/22606415/cleveland-browns-training-camp-recap-day-5-mayfield-looking-good

https://www.brownszone.com/2021/08/02/training-camp-log-day-5-rashard-higgins-back-and-making-plays/

Log of updated injury report.. https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2021/08/02/browns-injury-update-going-into-padded-practices/?taid=61087821558c3300016a8396&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_ Tretter was also out (ill) today..Nick Harris took T1 snaps at center.. 

1st Padded practice is Tuesday...

If you've watched Building the Browns? Anthony Walker jr.starts in #54.. By the end of filming, Walker is wearing #4...I'm not a Doctor 🤓.. but At 20:45.. you can see Walker stretching out something in his Left Knee/leg going back to the huddle.. Today's injury is being reported as a Right Knee injury.( edit- all updates report, Left knee/leg as wrapped).. No injury updates..No MRI scheduled 🤞.. Last season Malcolm Smith would sub in for BJ Goodson at MLB..

stay tuned..

Via my Browns Daily viewing... Beware of a sleeper in our Cornerback room...#38 in your programs...AJ Green is popping up everywhere 👀.. Hoping AJ continues to show up in pads...   

Go Browns !   

On 7/14/2021 at 4:53 AM, Zombo said:

Hooper seemed lead-footed to me.

Bryant could be the future at the position.

Z

There's been a fresh new face as a Plain's dealer writer this season.(or MKC hid his pencil? ;)). I've enjoyed most of Ellis L. Williams coverage lately.. More fun TE stuff here...

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/08/austin-hooper-david-njoku-harrison-bryant-who-is-the-browns-no-1-tight-end-what-was-learned-on-day-4-of-browns-training-camp-ellis-l-williams.html

• Upvote 1

Has to be tough as hell being a new cb in the NFL.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/07/greedy-williams-troy-hill-had-their-vertical-speed-and-quickness-tested-by-browns-receivers-on-day-3-what-did-we-learn-ellis-l-williams.html

Greedy Williams, Troy Hill had their vertical speed and quickness tested on Day 3. What did we learn? Ellis L. Williams

Something that article mentioned which I touched on when the signing was announced - expecting to see Troy Hill get reps on the perimeter. In your base defenses, regardless of what that particular call might be for that game, Troy functions as your #2.  He has the veteran production and time in this league that Greedy and Newsome simply don't have.    By that same merit though, I would fully expect him to align inside on some tougher draws personnel wise, while Greedy or Newsome play the outside spot in our nickel or dime looks.   This allows Troy to use his quickness, mind and better technique against receivers that have more options for their routes. He's simply seen more of it.   Then our taller and younger DB's battle it out over the other spot in sub looks.

It's a wonderful problem to have (health permitting) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nice little segment cued up reviewing our rookie class' progress... including JOK gaining on Mack Wilson... from likely the whitest living space in America.

Browns Defender Goes MIA From Camp, No Timeline For Return

image.thumb.png.9eb74e687bb958f7a2a84c2e20fb87ba.png

he Cleveland Browns issued a grim update on defensive end Takkarist McKinley on Saturday, who is out for personal reasons but has no timeline for a return.

McKinley missed three days with an illness but has been out for undisclosed personal reasons. Head coach Kevin Stefanski said there’s no expected return date for the former first-round pick, hoping he’ll return for the start of the season.

48 minutes ago, Vambo said:

Browns Defender Goes MIA From Camp, No Timeline For Return

image.thumb.png.9eb74e687bb958f7a2a84c2e20fb87ba.png

he Cleveland Browns issued a grim update on defensive end Takkarist McKinley on Saturday, who is out for personal reasons but has no timeline for a return.

McKinley missed three days with an illness but has been out for undisclosed personal reasons. Head coach Kevin Stefanski said there’s no expected return date for the former first-round pick, hoping he’ll return for the start of the season.

Well, that doesn't sound good. Other than solid Gustin, I don't see a lot of talent behind the Top 3 at. DE. Certainly no proven pass rushers. Olivier Vernon still out there?

Z

Am back from out of the woods...And "No" I did not see Tak MaC during my travels 🤓...

It all gets started at noon today!

Browns Orange & Brown Scrimmage, can be seen?

Browns Live, which can be viewed at ClevelandBrowns.com and the Browns' official YouTube channel, will have you covered.

30 minutes ago, Orion said:

What - is - up - with - this- guy?

Something is amiss in Taktown...

I'm still scratching my head why Berry was so hell-bent on getting this guy - he tried to sign or trade for him during last season too - and I was intrigued to see him play for the Browns so we could possibly see what Berry saw in him. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Anyone else watch the scrimmage? It was cool. It seemed like it was mostly a rolling commentary with a few football plays sprinkled in.

Interviews with Joe Thomas and DePodesta were cool. They kept referring to Thomas as “Hof” (for hall of fame), but it took me far too long to figure that out. I thought they were saying “Hop” or “Hoth” and it was confusing because l felt like l was missing some Joe Thomas Easter bunny story or that he was some big Empire Strikes Back fan or something. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

They kept referring to Thomas as

I really do wish they wouldn't refer to people by using initials (and such) when actually speaking.  They're not on a keyboard saving strokes.  It's actually quite disrespectful IMO.  Call the guy by his name.

--------   I know, I'll kick up an incredible fuss.  I'll claim that I've had my feelings hurt because people are calling other people by initials instead of their names.  That way congress can pass a law to appease me.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Orion said:

I really do wish they wouldn't refer to people by using initials (and such) when actually speaking.  They're not on a keyboard saving strokes.  It's actually quite disrespectful IMO.  Call the guy by his name.

--------   I know, I'll kick up an incredible fuss.  I'll claim that I've had my feelings hurt because people are calling other people by initials instead of their names.  That way congress can pass a law to appease me.

Isn't getting really upset over trivial things what you boomers are known wide and far for? 😉

1 hour ago, Orion said:

What in the crikey fuck does any of this even mean? Did you have a stroke this morning and were somehow discharged a few hours later?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Orion said:

Do you need a medic?

Z

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Isn't getting really upset over trivial things what you boomers are known wide and far for? 😉

You cannot possibly be comparing us to the current snowflake generation can you?  The everybody gets a trophy, you can't tell them they made a mistake, generation?  No, that pendulum swung back way past us. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Orion said:

It’s definitely awkward trying to figure out where a mystery nickname came from.

It’s like when your buddy thinks you know the secret handshake, but you don’t know the secret handshake, and he’s coming at you with slaps and fist bumps and shooting it and you’re trying to keep up but failing miserably. 

• Haha 1