THE BROWNS BOARD

Sheldon shucked the Browns for less money with the Vikings?

calfoxwc

I question mark it, because it is reported by Mary Kay. If true, he didn't want to be here. "It's a business" - football players know that - whether they want more money, or want traded, whatever. But getting released was "business" - and Richardson either wanted to go live in Minnesota or felt he was better with less competition. Their stadium is downtown Minneapolis. That is not a nicer safer city. But I reckon he has a lot of friends at the Vikings so, whatever. IMHO, the Browns should be in great shape anyways.

https://www.brownsnation.com/report-sheldon-richardson-turned-down-bigger-offer-from-browns/

Jordon Elliot takes his place, and Elliot is the real deal it seems. A terrific player in college - excellent work ethic - dropped from 300 to 290 to be quicker off the line, ...maybe Richardson saw the competition writing on the wall. Elliots Browns teammates were impressed by him.

Ready to roll, the Browns are.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/jordan-elliott-ready-to-step-up-to-the-plate

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/news-notes-another-browns-rookie-is-seeing-his-role-expand

"

ith Ogunjobi sidelined for most of Sunday's second half, Elliott saw an uptick in his playing time and finished the game with 31 snaps. Though he has just three tackles on the year, Elliott has been among Pro Football Focus' highest-graded rookie defensive tackles.

Elliott's teammates have been impressed with how he's acclimated himself to the NFL game. In August, Ogunjobi raved about Elliott's attitude and desire to be great. Earlier in the season, Richardson said Elliott "knew his stuff."

"

6 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I question mark it, because it is reported by Mary Kay. If true, he didn't want to be here. "It's a business" - football players know that - whether they want more money, or want traded, whatever. But getting released was "business" - and Richardson either wanted to go live in Minnesota or felt he was better with less competition. Their stadium is downtown Minneapolis. That is not a nicer safer city. But I reckon he has a lot of friends at the Vikings so, whatever. IMHO, the Browns should be in great shape anyways.

https://www.brownsnation.com/report-sheldon-richardson-turned-down-bigger-offer-from-browns/

Jordon Elliot takes his place, and Elliot is the real deal it seems. A terrific player in college - excellent work ethic - dropped from 300 to 290 to be quicker off the line, ...maybe Richardson saw the competition writing on the wall. Elliots Browns teammates were impressed by him.

Ready to roll, the Browns are.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/jordan-elliott-ready-to-step-up-to-the-plate

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/news-notes-another-browns-rookie-is-seeing-his-role-expand

"

ith Ogunjobi sidelined for most of Sunday's second half, Elliott saw an uptick in his playing time and finished the game with 31 snaps. Though he has just three tackles on the year, Elliott has been among Pro Football Focus' highest-graded rookie defensive tackles.

Elliott's teammates have been impressed with how he's acclimated himself to the NFL game. In August, Ogunjobi raved about Elliott's attitude and desire to be great. Earlier in the season, Richardson said Elliott "knew his stuff."

"

Elliot looked like a rookie last year.  He needs to take a big step forward to be an effective replacement.  Jackson actually  fills the elder statesman/leadership role that we would miss.  The early returns on his willingness in this leadership role are promising.  Billings (living up to his billing) and Togoai being a polished rookie and being productive are the keys IMO.

Sheldon played the games and hustled (healthy and hustle can’t be taken for granted in this position) but his splash plays and high level production are probably a thing of the past. Ogunjobi I thought was bad last year. 

This is one of the spots where the Browns have questionable depth so while we can’t afford major injuries anywhere this is a spot where we can’t afford to test our depth.  We have quality depth in many areas- not here- yet. 

Ogun played out of position most of the season...

Necessitated by a combo of opt-out and injury... and Richardson being better.

As for MKC's article... as we discussed in the Depth Chart thread IIRC... it seems credible.

9 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

But getting released was "business" - and Richardson either wanted to go live in Minnesota or felt he was better with less competition. 

...maybe Richardson saw the competition writing on the wall. 

GIF basquetebol, baloncesto, reaction, best animated GIFs games, christmas, cousin, basketball, free download juegos, jogos, navidad, natal, weihnachtenGIF wtf, dumbfounded, reaction, best animated GIFs quoi, que, steve harvey, wut, free download GIF reaction, best animated GIFs free downloadGIF hell no, reaction, no, best animated GIFs nope, cop out, no way, tracy morgan, free download nao, non, nein,  with hot takes like these^^? Who's Mary Kay? 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, gumby73 said:

with hot takes like these^^? Who's Mary Kay? 

LOL - but I'm not a sports reporter,  and was thinking "out loud" why he left for LESS money. What do you, think, Gumby?

20 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

and was thinking "out loud"...  same reason i quick scan the politics board  :D

why he left for LESS money. What do you, think, Gumby?

I should start with... "why I'm a huge shelton fan" ...🍺 (grab a root beer)

It's 2013 draft night..My late father had me sold, Shelton Richardson was the best Browns pick when he was coming out of Missouri.. The only guy dad wanted to be a brown was Shelton at pick #6.. Browns turn in #6 card...It's Barf's Mingo!  🤮..   Pop's calmly 🤬, grab's his tv remote.. clicks the draft off.. (Gordon cost our 2nd rd. pick).

Than dad call's little old Me :o before pick 7 can even get on the clock... We vented over a hour on the phone why Shelton Richardson was our right pick there... Vented until Shelton became a Jet at pick #13...Needless to say..my Pop's nailed his Richardson pick..  

1) Agent's...the more money his player gets? the more likely* the 'percentage of money the players *agent* gets too!.. Berry's only access was Richardson's agent...book it! (Shelton was not taking Berry's calls) 😤... Reports say Shelton took a lesser deal than the browns? Shelton's betting on himself next season.. Not his agents pockets nor some dirty gm pool game..  

2) Berry's 1st blunder imo.(a) T.Mitchell? we will see).. (b.) Richardson call's it a 'dirty business'...it is...  Where Berry got dirty?.... In Richardson's faith? Richardson thought Berry held him, from the top FA DT money releasing him to late.. on 4-16/ 13 days before a draft..(Ogun gets 6.2M on 3-18 👀..so did many other FA DT's get paid). If i had to defend Berry's move?....It l👀k's bad  ..

Malik Jackson was added 3-23 (3.7M) to fill Ogun's vacant spot..me thought 🤔.. Richardson just signed back with the Vikings for 3.6M.. I'm guessing Berry knew his position $'s to spend..

My Dad would have enjoyed the hell out of Richardson's time as a Brown (book that too!) But damn... the Shelton departing ?  GIFs Ang Facepa Angry GIF

Bless ya DaD! 👆 🙏

image.jpeg.f9e0346cd46be8ae0a9e2a649dd2df28.jpeg     

• Like 2

Put yourself in Berry's shoes.  Exactly when would you cut Richardson?

Berry cut Richardson only 48 hours after inking Clowney.  All the "big" deals w players changing teams were pen to paper and news cameras called on day1 of FA period.

Are you really going to cut Richardson.... before signing either Takk or Clowney? 

That's the choice -- there is no universe where we get the edgeFA's and get Richardson out the door before others have completed their signings.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Put yourself in Berry's shoes.  Exactly when would you cut Richardson?

Berry cut Richardson only 48 hours after inking Clowney.  All the "big" deals w players changing teams were pen to paper and news cameras called on day1 of FA period.

Are you really going to cut Richardson.... before signing either Takk or Clowney? 

That's the choice -- there is no universe where we get the edgeFA's and get Richardson out the door before others have completed their signings.

If I feel I'm set at defensive tackle the position he plays without Richardson and I know I don't want to pay him 12 million I'm not worried about what edge rushers I can get since that's not Richardson position. But since you say either of the two takk was signed a full month before Richardson was released.

5 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Put yourself in Berry's shoes.  Exactly when would you cut Richardson?  Simple! After failed reconstruct digits..

Are you really going to cut Richardson.... before signing either Takk or Clowney?  🙃 it smells Better than 13 days in front of a draft 

Sure there is.. Were paying 90 but only keeping 69 to pay...

Which tit 💩 media clipping should we believe? 🤔

Contracts the Browns Could Revisit to Create Cap Space

*1. Sheldon Richardson, Defensive Tackle

Richardson is scheduled to earn $13.16 million in the last year of his contract. There's only $1.66 million of guaranteed money attached. There aren't many good options to replace Richardson, so releasing him negatively impacts their ability to compete now. However, Richardson could try to reduce that salary this year in exchange for guaranteeing most of the remaining contract. They could include incentives as well, which is what they did with Olivier Vernon last year.

In the case of Richardson, keeping him around an additional year might be a great option to allow them flexibility to find his eventual replacement without a major drop off in production.

As an example, if the Browns were to give him $10 million guaranteed for this year and extend him for another year at the same rate, his contract becomes two years, $20 million and the Browns could create $3 million in cap space for this year in the process.

Day of release...

*The Browns will save around $12 million in cash and salary cap space with Richardson off the roster. Cleveland had roughly $10.3 million left under the cap after signing Clowney to an incentive-laden, one-year deal this week.

It’s not yet known if the Browns asked Richardson to restructure his contract or if he’d be willing to re-sign for less money.

*Browns might need to restructure or release DT Sheldon Richardson to make it work. Cleveland had some cap space available, but $8 million, plus the draft picks they’ll need to sign, probably puts them over the edge.

*The move with Richardson wasn’t necessary but part of the organization’s overall cap management. Restructuring the contract didn’t make sense considering the money the Browns wanted to save.

*The Browns still have to sign the draft class and may explore big-money long-term extensions with quarterback Baker Mayfield, cornerback Denzel Ward and running back Nick Chubb before the start of the season in September.

*Cleveland had hoped that Richardson would return but understood that he would have to explore it if another opportunity arose.Many believed that a reunion between Richardson and the Browns was likely, perhaps on a reduced contract, but that is not the case anymore. A lot of fans were bummed when the release was made, as Richardson was proving to be a leader on and off the field, and now will have to see Richardson in the Purple and Gold when the Browns visit Minnesota in Week 4.

*The Browns showed interest in bringing him back at a lower salary but Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot reports that Richardson does not want to return to the team.

*The Browns hoped to re-sign Richardson, 30, after releasing him in April in a salary cap move, but the defensive tackle has decided he wants to

move on

I'm done guessing until Berry has a presser confirming any final offer was made to Richardson...  Ahy!
(including the small island of 'Wood knot of mattered') 🏝️

On 6/22/2021 at 9:59 AM, calfoxwc said:

LOL - but I'm not a sports reporter,  and was thinking "out loud" why he left for LESS money. What do you, think, Gumby?

Gumby explained it well- and then there's a matter of hurt feelings about being cut... (You don't love me enough) 

Then you have the long term problem of how you're going to be able to pay Baker, Chubb, and Ward if you want to keep them around.... all due big money.  FWIW, it's going to cost on the high side of $15 million a year to pay Ward what he's worth on the open market. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Gumby explained it well- and then there's a matter of hurt feelings about being cut... (You don't love me enough) 

Then you have the long term problem of how you're going to be able to pay Baker, Chubb, and Ward if you want to keep them around.... all due big money.  FWIW, it's going to cost on the high side of $15 million a year to pay Ward what he's worth on the open market. 

This coming season might be the highwater mark for talent surrounding Baker Mayfield. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

This coming season might be the highwater mark for talent surrounding Baker Mayfield. 

From now on your Delta Tau name is "Eeyore"...

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

From now on your Delta Tau name is "Eeyore"...

It's all sunshine, lollipops and rainbows this year. But I'm sure Berry has an eye(ore) on the potential storm clouds on the horizon.  Starting with IMHO viewing Clowney as a one season rent-a-player. What KC had to do when they gave Mahomes his mega contract may be instructive. Though I doubt Baker is going to get a deal anywhere close to that. :)

Gonna show my age here... and yours as well...

"Close" is a relative term... but no one said it would be easy.

When you look at the details of Mahommes' deal, it is far less onerous than the headline, $125mm, number.

Guarantees are front-loaded, so there is some short-term pain, but then it gets pretty friendly... especially in light of the Richardsonian-ending teed up after 2025. Patsy did get a series of March 20 trigger dates to ensure that if he is released, it will be during the prime UFA season.

And letting the deadline pass does not trigger guarantees for the upcoming season, but the one after that, e.g., on 03-21-22 his 2024 salary becomes fully guaranteed.

Hard to see that happening... KC is committed to PM thru 2023. They'll be drafting a QB in 2022. Book it... Might even hire a certain consultant to help them pick one.

So Mr. Berry... do you lock up Baker for the long-term. a/k/a "life"... or just thru 2023 after which a certain someone will be available?

image.thumb.png.deca51e10fb083652025c97eaaf8d64e.png