THE BROWNS BOARD

Sport Fact, observations, opinions June 7, 2021

The Gipper

Here will be a new feature that I am going to start:    a recitation of various sports facts...and speculations on things, and my opinions, if you think you can handle those.:

1. Re the talk by Mahomes wanting to go 20-0,   the last QB to  win 20 consecutive regular season games (not playoffs)  was  NOT Tom Brady,  but was Peyton Manning  in the 08-09 seasons.

2.  Related to the above:   The Chiefs are going to have a hard time holding off the Los Angeles Chargers  from winning  the AFC West, who will seriously challenge them. 

3.   Aaron Rodgers and Julio Jones  will attempt to "team up"   NBA player style,   to go to the same team.   That team could be the Packers, but not necessarily.

4.  If the above does not happen,  then Jones, I believe will go to one of 3 teams:    Rams,  Ravens,  Patriots.    Let's hope it is not the Ratfuckers

5.  Whatever the situation with Rodgers....stay or go from GB,  team up with Julio Jones or not,   his team will NOT  reach the NFL version of the Final Four as he has the last two years.  (now watch him win it all!!)

6.  Per CBS Sports  the team that is supposed to have  "The Most Improved Defense" is:    The Cleveland Browns

7.  I  do not believe that DeShaun Watson will play for the Texans this year.   In fact, because of his sexual assault charges (civil...not criminal) , he may actually not play at all.   Nevertheless, due to those charges and his speculative future,  his trade value is highly, highly diminished IMO.   Talk of Houston getting like 3 first round picks  is a pipe dream.  They may be lucky to get one first round pick.

8. Not that I have any love whatsoever for for the Boston Celtics,  but Kyrie Irving's actions in stomping on the team logo  was completely Bush league.  But I think that is pretty much what Kyrie has become in his career,   a bush league player, notwithstanding his incredible talent.

9.  Some people....even those my age or over,   claim that Mets pitcher Jacob deGrom, because of his current like 0.50  ERA is the best pitcher they have ever seen.  But I personally would not trade ShaneTiny Canadian Pussy Douche straight up for him.

10.  LeBron James is the best player to ever set foot on a basketball court.   But it has been proven that a single great player cannot win a title all by himself.   If the Lakers were to win the title this year (which I do not think will happen)....he WILL basically have to do it all by himself.   In my opinion  Anthony Davis is just not as good or as reliable a #2 man, this year at least,  to assist in leading that team to a title. He is not Scottie Pippin, or Duane Wade, or Kevin McHale,  or any number of the great  #2s in playoff history. 

Note to Mods:  y'all gotta get rid of the  Auto correct on the  Tiny Canadian Pussy Douche name.   We have here in Cleveland  as Superstar pitcher by the name of ShaneTiny Canadian Pussy Douche.   It is just coincidence that he has the same last name at that other kid. 

Here are today's Sports facts/speculations/opinions:

1. Hockey does not get enough attention on these boards.  Probably because Cleveland has no NHL team.  A team being in Columbus doesn't resonate around here.

2.  This Laker's team is no better at all than the Cavs teams that LeBron was on in his early days here.   They are going to get bounced out of the playoffs in round one, for the first time in LeBron's career.

3. This is shallow, but,   Tennis player Naomi  Osaka,  who there is a lot of talk about lately.....is  not a pretty woman, at all.

4. Titans, Seahawks and 49ers seem to have joined the  Pats/Ravens/Rams  in the  Julio Jones Derby. 

5. If the Tits get Jones, they could be a legit  AFC contender  IMO.

6. The Celtics are now bounced out of the playoffs.  Overall, that is good.  Fuck them.    The upcoming Bucks/Nets  playoff series on the other hand may be one of the most entertaining of the NBA playoffs.

7. I know they are leading the  AL Central,  but  why should I be impressed with the Chicago White Sox.  I think they are almost leading the division by default.   The Tribe has downgraded this year due to offseason moves, so the WS may take this division by default, but, again, I am not impressed by them.  I hope, obviously that the Indians overtake them.

8. Ben Roethlisberger  thinks that the Steelers are a "special team"....and that they are being  "overlooked and underrated".    Is he delusional, or is he right?  Are rumors of the Steelers demise greatly exaggerated?  I personally think.....only to a point.  They will be around a .500 team (even though team's can no longer go .500),  but they will not be a  3-14 team or anything.  Tomlin is too good of a coach

9. Prediction.....which ballpeen will like:    Florida will take the SEC this year in football  over  East Germany  (Alabama)

10.  Going along with a discussion had on TV:     Who are the best   5  Non-QBs in the AFC North in 2021:    My opinion:   Myles Garrett,  Nick Chubb, and OBJ will prove to be  3 of the 5.   Also,  TJ Watt of the Steelers.  ......and to be totally honest and fair:    Kicker Justin Tucker of the Ravens.      (but if not a ST player, then probably Marlon Humphrey DB Ravens)

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Here are today's Sports facts/speculations/opinions:

1. Hockey does not get enough attention on these boards.  Probably because Cleveland has no NHL team.  A team being in Columbus doesn't resonate around here.

2.  This Laker's team is no better at all than the Cavs teams that LeBron was on in his early days here.   They are going to get bounced out of the playoffs in round one, for the first time in LeBron's career.

3. This is shallow, but,   Tennis player Naomi  Osaka,  who there is a lot of talk about lately.....in  not a pretty woman, at all.

4. Titans, Seahawks and 49ers seem to have joined the  Pats/Ravens/Rams  in the  Julio Jones Derby. 

5. If the Tits get Jones, they could be a legit  AFC contender  IMO.

6. The Celtics are now bounced out of the playoffs.  Overall, that is good.  Fuck them.    The upcoming Bucks/Nets  playoff series on the other hand may be one of the most entertaining of the NBA playoffs.

7. I know they are leading the  AL Central,  but  why should I be impressed with the Chicago White Sox.  I think they are almost leading the division by default.   The Tribe has downgraded this year due to offseason moves, so the WS may take this division by default, but, again, I am not impressed by them.  I hope, obviously that the Indians overtake them.

8. Ben Roethlisberger  thinks that the Steelers are a "special team"....and that they are being  "overlooked and underrated".    Is he delusional, or is he right?  Are rumors of the Steelers demise greatly exaggerated?  I personally think.....only to a point.  They will be around a .500 team (even though team's can no longer go .500),  but they will not be a  3-14 team or anything.  Tomlin is too good of a coach

9. Prediction.....which ballpeen will like:    Florida will take the SEC this year in football  over  East Germany  (Alabama)

10.  Going along with a discussion had on TV:     Who are the best   5  Non-QBs in the AFC North in 2021:    My opinion:   Myles Garrett,  Nick Chubb, and OBJ will prove to be  3 of the 5.   Also,  TJ Watt of the Steelers.  ......and to be totally honest and fair:    Kicker Justin Tucker of the Ravens.      (but if not a ST player, then probably Marlon Humphrey DB Ravens)

7. They have some starting pitching and some big bats in the lineup.  They are the most talented IMO.  I think the Twins will make a furious comeback and sadly I see the Cleveland Spiders as the 3rd best team...way too many holes in the lineup 

10. Marlon Humphrey is the best and most important player not named Lamar Jackson on the Ravens roster and is IMO a better overall player than OBJ right now. 

5 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

7. They have some starting pitching and some big bats in the lineup.  They are the most talented IMO.  I think the Twins will make a furious comeback and sadly I see the Cleveland Spiders as the 3rd best team...way too many holes in the lineup 

10. Marlon Humphrey is the best and most important player not named Lamar Jackson on the Ravens roster and is IMO a better overall player than OBJ right now. 

Whatever the new name for the team will be, it will not be The Spiders. 

The other guy I considered  was Minkah Fitzpatrick.....but then I thought:  I am not sure that he is or will be better than our new safety,  John Johnson.   Will he? 

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Whatever the new name for the team will be, it will not be The Spiders. 

The other guy I considered  was Minkah Fitzpatrick.....but then I thought:  I am not sure that he is or will be better than our new safety,  John Johnson.   Will he? 

One is bigger name than the other...played college ball at bigger program and was drafted in the first round compared to the third round. 

So give me a name? 

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

One is bigger name than the other...played college ball at bigger program and was drafted in the first round compared to the third round. 

So give me a name? 

For the new name for the Indians?   

I would say The Supermen...since Superman was created here......but that would put too much pressure on the players on the team.

Superman: From Cleveland to Krypton – An Exhibit – Cleveland Public Library

Or, since a lot of  baseball teams have bird names,  How about The Cleveland Cocks:

Adult Humor Rooster (Cock) Art Print by pixelsandpaintmk | Society6

• Haha 1

Here are today's facts and opinion and speculations:

1.  Of the Top 10 all time leading  passers in NFL history  (by yards)  7 of them have won a Championship.  The three that have not are:  Phillip Rivers,  Dan Marino, and  Matt Ryan. Ryan should have won one but his team blew a 25 pt. lead in the Super Bowl.  Marino got to a SB, but Rivers never did.   (the other 7 who did win:  Brees/Brady/Favre/Peyton/Eli/BenR/Elway)

2.  Of the 5 first round draft pick QBs,   Lawrence, Fields, and Wilson should be starting from Day one.   Not so  Lance and  Jones (primarily because they have better QBs on their team with them...with Garrapolo and  Newton than the other  3 have)

3. The return of the USFL is imminent after almost 40 years. .  It starts "back up"  in 2022.  The landscape of Pro Football today would have been vastly different  if not for the ego and incompetence of one Donald Trump back in the day.  I believe had the USFL stayed the course and tried to compete with the NFL back then, instead of listening to Trump and litigating,  they could likely have forced a merger.  Meaning that there would be NFL teams like the Baltimore Stars,  Jacksonville Bulls, Arizona Wranglers, Portland Breakers, San Antonio Gunslingers, and Birmingham Stallions in the NFL now.

4. Coach  K is retiring after the upcoming  college basketball season. (don't ask me to spell it out).   The Mt. Rushmore of college basketball coaches  IMO  include:   Wooden,  Coach K, Bobby Knight, or either  Adolph Rupp or Dean Smith.  

5. Medina Spirit is likely to be stripped of his Kentucky Derby win after a second positive drug test shows up.  Bob Baffert has been banned now for 2 years from running a horse in the Derby.

6. FYI  the Browns can DEFINITELY  improve their offense...as well as their defense:   Last year they scored an average of 26.3 points per game.   That was only 13th in the league.  IMO, this offense should be in the Top 5 of the league scoring wise.  So, absolutely...they need to improve there. 

7. Memphis/Boston/Knicks/Washington are now aufed from the NBA playoffs.   Both LA teams,  Lakers and Clippers  are on the brink of being sent home as well.

8. Danny Ainge retires as the  GM of the Celtics,  Brad Stevens steps up into his shoes.  Big mistake IMO...for them anyway.   I don't think they can get a  new HC as good as Stevens. 

9. FYI   Nick Foles is  2-0 head to head against Tom Brady as starting QBs.    Including of course a Super Bowl win.   Interesting bragging rights for his old age.

10.  By one service,  the Cleveland Browns are  16-1 to win the Super Bowl, which is 7th best overall.  VegasInsider does have the Ratfuckers as one of the teams with lower odds. 

Above I talk about the Browns offense actually needing to improve its scoring...which it does,

But here is another fact of note about why the Browns pass defense also needs to improve:  

The two games in which  most yards passing in a single game against the Cleveland Browns since  1950  both occurred this past year:

Dak Prescott of the Cowboy passed for  502 yards....and Ben Roethlisberger  passed for   501.

Of course, in both games, the Browns got out to huge leads.    28-0 vs.  Steelers.  And they were ahead of the Cowboys by 27 points at one point.   But those games were not the first in their history where they got out to those kind of leads, and they never gave up  500 yards before these. 

USFL is in fact back in the spring of 2022.

At this point there's no new info on the XFL.. at present they're on hold for 2022 so they should be part of our 2023 spring.

It'll be interesting to see if any USFLians can make an NFL roster in 2023.  Fun thing about the last iteration of XFL is that the football was actually decent.

33 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

USFL is in fact back in the spring of 2022.

At this point there's no new info on the XFL.. at present they're on hold for 2022 so they should be part of our 2023 spring.

It'll be interesting to see if any USFLians can make an NFL roster in 2023.  Fun thing about the last iteration of XFL is that the football was actually decent.

One correction I believe on that article:  the USFL never  moved to the fall and went head to head with the NFL.  That certainly was an option discussed, but  Voldemoort said, "no, let's try to sue our way to a merger, or maybe get a bunch of money that way".  They never played in the fall as far as I know. Had they done so and not listened to him, they may have been successful, one way or the other. 

Nevertheless, I see it is going to be an 8 team league.  If it is truly going to be a reboot of the USFL,  then I would like to see a few of the teams come back that were in Non-NFL cities:   Birmingham Stallions, San Antonio Gunslingers, Portland Breakers, Memphis Showboats, Orlando Renegades,  and maybe  the New Jersey Generals (with a new owner), and the LA Express.

21 hours ago, Mr. Make-Believe said:

If I’m reading the stats right, the Browns allowed the opposition to convert 22/27 fourth down attempts. That is atrocious. 

There’s a lot to clean up defensively, but thankfully, there’s a whole new defense. 

and we saw Soft coverage and no pass rush at these moments.  

When we were 21/26...maybe we should have tried man coverage send the dogs and a couple extra pass rushers.

I HOPE/EXPECT strategy changes this year with the personnel changes. 

• Like 1

Here are today's set of  facts and opinions etc.:

1. I have not paid attention to boxing in like  2 decades.   Has anyone?

2.  None of the contestants on Jeopardy last night knew what team Gordie Howe played for.  That is like not knowing who Mickey Mantle or Johnny Unitas played for.

3.  Chris Paul......36 year old  Chris Paul,  is apparently turning down a  44 million dollar  extension option from the Suns, apparently thinking he can get more money there or elsewhere.  Chris Paul is smoking crack.

4.  The Red Sox/Yankees  rivalry....is by far the most overblown rivalry  going  IMO.

5. I have  just heard of this food dish,  which is apparently  Canadian  called a   Donair.     WTF is a Donair?   Sounds like it would be a cross between a Donut and an Eclair, but apparently it has meat or something in it.  Does our food honk know?

6. Apparently the Indians have compiled  a pool of   1200   possible new names for the team.   Seems a bit absurd.

7. Paul Finebaum says that  Texas  (Univ. of Texas at Austin)  is no longer a relevant  college football program.  I don't see how that is with all their money.  Nevertheless, I have heard tell that most of the best prospects in the state of Texas are leaving there, and going to like  Ohio St.  or Alabama and points elsewhere.  (but NOT apparently going to TAMU)

8. One other place they apparently are not going to is:   Michigan.   I see where there  have been  15 players  transfer out of there since the end of last season.

9. The waitress at the restaurant I had lunch at  wore some Daisy Duke shorts  ( tight cut off denims.)  That is still a hot option if  you have a sweet little ass.....and she did.  Oi!

10. Predictions for next round of the NBA  playoffs:    Suns over Nuggets...the best matchup.     Jazz over either Dallas or Clippers.     Bucks over Nets....the upset.   76ers over Hawks,  but it will be much tougher and maybe an upset if Embid....with his torn meniscus cannot play.     And how can he play with a torn meniscus anyway? 

On 6/4/2021 at 2:07 PM, The Gipper said:

7. Paul Finebaum says that  Texas  (Univ. of Texas at Austin)  is no longer a relevant  college football program.  I don't see how that is with all their money.  Nevertheless, I have heard tell that most of the best prospects in the state of Texas are leaving there, and going to like  Ohio St.  or Alabama and points elsewhere.  (but NOT apparently going to TAMU)

And you would be wrong about A&M. Part of the reason for Finebaum's statement is that since joining the SEC, A&M has dominated Texas in in-state recruiting and it is even better since Fisher arrived. Yes, that also helped other SEC teams here as well.

In 2021 recruiting A&M signed 9 or the top 14. Bama 3 OSU 1 Texas 1 

Additionally A&M's out of state signings consisted of 10 of their top 20 signings for the same year, 10 in state 10 out of state. All the top programs do exactly the same thing. Fisher is not a dummy like some of our prior HCs who thought they could just stay in Texas/La. This out of state group comes from Fla (2), Philly (2), NY, Utah, Colo. Ark and one each from La & Okl.

On 6/4/2021 at 12:07 PM, The Gipper said:

1. I have not paid attention to boxing in like  2 decades.   Has anyone?

2.  None of the contestants on Jeopardy last night knew what team Gordie Howe played for.  That is like not knowing who Mickey Mantle or Johnny Unitas played for.

3.  Chris Paul......36 year old  Chris Paul,  is apparently turning down a  44 million dollar  extension option from the Suns, apparently thinking he can get more money there or elsewhere.  Chris Paul is smoking crack.

4.  The Red Sox/Yankees  rivalry....is by far the most overblown rivalry  going  IMO.

5. I have  just heard of this food dish,  which is apparently  Canadian  called a   Donair.     WTF is a Donair?   Sounds like it would be a cross between a Donut and an Eclair, but apparently it has meat or something in it.  Does our food honk know?

6. Apparently the Indians have compiled  a pool of   1200   possible new names for the team.   Seems a bit absurd.

8. One other place they apparently are not going to is:   Michigan.   I see where there  have been  15 players  transfer out of there since the end of last season.

9. The waitress at the restaurant I had lunch at  wore some Daisy Duke shorts  ( tight cut off denims.)  That is still a hot option if  you have a sweet little ass.....and she did.  Oi!

10. Predictions for next round of the NBA  playoffs:    Suns over Nuggets...the best matchup.     Jazz over either Dallas or Clippers.     Bucks over Nets....the upset.   76ers over Hawks,  but it will be much tougher and maybe an upset if Embid....with his torn meniscus cannot play.     And how can he play with a torn meniscus anyway? 

1. I will watch tonight.  But I have rarely watched since Tyson days.  I watched Kelly The Ghost Pavlik because he was a Boxer from Youngstown. MMA has taken over.

4. Michigan and Ohio State is giving it a run for its money.  OSU holds it high.  Michigan is just trying to solidify its claim over its “little” brother and keep its roster from transferring out.

7. The best Texas recruit is going to OSU...maybe the best QB prospect the state has seen since Vince Young that’s unacceptable if you are Texas.  That’s what a few bad coaching hires will do to you. 

8. See above. Bad coaching hires.I feared that the Urban Meyer era would bring Michigan back to a 1b type school.  Where they would clean up on all these top 10 Ohio guys that Urban passes on (and you have Spurned Ohio kids) as he recruits out of Florida Georgia Texas and California.  Instead Michigan didn’t plant a flag in a state like Ohio.  Coaching uncertainty is tough in this time of transfer portal.  No harm no foul going elsewhere for a shot 

9. you living under a rock??? Tight and short is everywhere. 

Falcons trade Julio Jones and a 2023 6th to Titans for a 2022 2nd and a 2023 4th.

Good trade for Falcons - Titans giving next year's second reflects past production.. 51/771/3 [2020 Julio] is the numbers of a WR3.  You know, Higgins.  Both catch about 75% of their targets, and YPC is actually in Higgins' favor.  Last year Ridley was Falcons WR1; this year Pitts will see WR2 targets.. leaving 2021 Julio  the WR3 at best.

7 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And you would be wrong about A&M. Part of the reason for Finebaum's statement is that since joining the SEC, A&M has dominated Texas in in-state recruiting and it is even better since Fisher arrived. Yes, that also helped other SEC teams here as well.

In 2021 recruiting A&M signed 9 or the top 14. Bama 3 OSU 1 Texas 1 

Additionally A&M's out of state signings consisted of 10 of their top 20 signings for the same year, 10 in state 10 out of state. All the top programs do exactly the same thing. Fisher is not a dummy like some of our prior HCs who thought they could just stay in Texas/La. This out of state group comes from Fla (2), Philly (2), NY, Utah, Colo. Ark and one each from La & Okl.

Tamu still not a factor nationally 

Here are today's items:

1. Based on what I am seeing, the Atlanta Hawks could actually win their series vs.  the 76ers.

2.  Speaking of which,  the NBA Champion this year will be "Fresh Blood".    Of the teams that are left, the one that has won the most recent championship are those  76ers...who won it in 1983....which is  38 years ago...or like  2 generations ago.  All the the teams let in the West have never won a title:   Jazz,  Nuggets,  Clippers, Suns.  In the East, the Bucks last won in s1971,  Nets won an ABA title in the 70s.  Hawks have not won since 1958. 

3. The Indians losing a series to the terrible Orioles is just disgusting IMO.

4. The Usual Suspects are at the Top of the Sporting News  Top 25 college football poll:   Alabama, Ohio St. Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia. 

5.  The Titans obtaining Julio Jones  raised their odds of winning the Super Bowl from  35-1 to now  30-1.   A big leap for the acquisition of a non-QB.

6.  Impromptu  OTAs for the Browns are being hosted by  Baker Mayfield in Austin TX  at this time.

7. What is more important:   the talent, or the  person coaching that talent.   The reason I ask is that the Browns are going to have a wholesale change on defense this year, but are going to have the same coach for that defense:  Joe Woods.   Is Woods going to be a better coach with better talent?  You would think so/hope so,  but I am not necessarily convinced.

8.  I think Serena Williams may be done winning major tennis championships.  She was aufed yesterday in the French Open

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Here are today's items:

1. Based on what I am seeing, the Atlanta Hawks could actually win their series vs.  the 76ers.

2.  Speaking of which,  the NBA Champion this year will be "Fresh Blood".    Of the teams that are left, the one that has won the most recent championship are those  76ers...who won it in 1983....which is  38 years ago...or like  2 generations ago.  All the the teams let in the West have never won a title:   Jazz,  Nuggets,  Clippers, Suns.  In the East, the Bucks last won in s1971,  Nets won an NBA title in the 70s.  Hawks have not won since 1958. 

3. The Indians losing a series to the terrible Orioles is just disgusting IMO.

4. The Usual Suspects are at the Top of the Sporting News  Top 25 college football poll:   Alabama, Ohio St. Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia. 

5.  The Titans obtaining Julio Jones  raised their odds of winning the Super Bowl from  35-1 to now  30-1.   A big leap for the acquisition of a non-QB.

6.  Impromptu  OTAs for the Browns are being hosted by  Baker Mayfield in Austin TX  at this time.

7. What is more important:   the talent, or the  person coaching that talent.   The reason I ask is that the Browns are going to have a wholesale change on defense this year, but are going to have the same coach for that defense:  Joe Woods.   Is Woods going to be a better coach with better talent?  You would think so/hope so,  but I am not necessarily convinced.

8.  I think Serena Williams may be done winning major tennis championships.  She was aufed yesterday in the French Open

3. The Indians are down their second best SP and their second best hitter- both are hurt.  They’ve played over their heads the first couple months.  This is is not a good team.  They are a .500 team at best.  Get used to it. 

7.  Depending on who you talk to Woods is the problem, Woods was part of the problem or Woods had nothing to do with the issues last year.  I stand in the middle Woods was part of the problem last year. 

His track record suggests he doesn’t like to blitz often outside of his front 4.  So his scheme better have some dudes upfront.  

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

He's at best a WR2 even in TEN; if he had stayed in ATL he'd be WR3.  This seems.. not warranted. Sure, hype from the home team but they gave too many assets and are paying a crazy salary for a player who's on the down side.  OBJ even after rehabbing an achilles is far more explosive.. as we'd expect since he's 5 yrs younger.

2 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

He's at best a WR2 even in TEN; if he had stayed in ATL he'd be WR3.  This seems.. not warranted. Sure, hype from the home team but they gave too many assets and are paying a crazy salary for a player who's on the down side.  OBJ even after rehabbing an achilles is far more explosive.. as we'd expect since he's 5 yrs younger.

You may be right,  but apparently the bettors,  or those who set the betting lines must think this is significant. 

22 hours ago, The Gipper said:

When they actually make the College Football Playoffs....then they will be a factor. 

Most believe they were robbed of the playoffs in favor of ND who lost their last game and still got in while A&M's only loss was very early in the season at Alabama.

29 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Most believe they were robbed of the playoffs in favor of ND who lost their last game and still got in while A&M's only loss was very early in the season at Alabama.

Because TAMU has not earned the respect at this point.   Next time:   beat Alabama.