THE BROWNS BOARD

Sports distribution map

The Gipper

The Number One Sport

Most popular sport in each country.   By "Football"  they of course mean soccer. 

The one major surprise to me is that the favorite sport in Australia is cricket. I am just not sure I buy that.   

The other thing they do is break it down by each state in the US. 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

The Number One Sport

Most popular sport in each country.   By "Football"  they of course mean soccer. 

The one major surprise to me is that the favorite sport in Australia is cricket. I am just not sure I buy that.   

Very surprised that Countries like Bulgaria, Azerbaijan, Turkey, Iran that Wrestling isn’t the most popular.

36 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Very surprised that Countries like Bulgaria, Azerbaijan, Turkey, Iran that Wrestling isn’t the most popular.

I guess I can only say that I am not sure how wholly accurate this is. It looks like they have Mongolia as the only nation where wrestling is the most popular sport.   Basketball being the most popular sport in The Phillipines is somewhat surprising,  but not so that it is the most popular in Lithuania. Also not surprised that basketball would be the most popular sport in North Carolina, Kentucky, and Kansas....but I question the accuracy of that when it comes to Arizona and California. 

They have Austria as the only country in which skiing is the most popular sport.  I would have thought that skiing would also be most popular in like Switzerland and Norway. 

And it looks like Ping Pong is most popular in China.  Thanks Forrest Gump. 

15 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Also not surprised that basketball would be the most popular sport in North Carolina

That would surprise me.... if the survey included...... NASCAR 🏁

40 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I think it does. Even with that basketball is still more popular 

You don't live here... and I do! 🤩

Duke-UNC posts lowest rating, audience, in at least 14 years Last Saturday’s Duke-North Carolina men’s college basketball game averaged a 1.1 rating and 1.87 million viewers on ESPN, marking the lowest rated and least-watched game between the rivals since at least 2007.

Plus: NASCAR Clash, Tuesday’s NASCAR “Clash” from Daytona averaged 1.58 million viewers on FS1, marking the event’s smallest audience since at least 2002. Viewership fell 36% from last year, when the race aired on a Sunday (2.46M)

apparently.... 3oo thousand, Wine & cheese'rs...  say I was wrong 🤓

Take a Look at these, F'n Golf ratings...

Phoenix Open final round up double-digits.. Final round coverage of the PGA Tour Phoenix Open averaged a 2.1 rating and 3.69 million viewers on NBC Super Bowl Sunday, up 20% in ratings and 29% in viewership from last year (1.75, 2.87M)

THAT'S INSANE !

On 6/5/2021 at 5:52 PM, The Gipper said:

The Number One Sport

Cricket is absolutely huge in Australia, the biggest sporting event in that country is the Ashes cricket series against England which takes place every few years 

1 hour ago, LondonBrown said:

Cricket is absolutely huge in Australia, the biggest sporting event in that country is the Ashes cricket series against England which takes place every few years 

Like I said,  that is a surprise.   I knew that Rugby was big there,  and of course there is Australian football.    But cricket? Never knew. 

12 hours ago, gumby73 said:

You don't live here... and I do! 🤩

Duke-UNC posts lowest rating, audience, in at least 14 years Last Saturday’s Duke-North Carolina men’s college basketball game averaged a 1.1 rating and 1.87 million viewers on ESPN, marking the lowest rated and least-watched game between the rivals since at least 2007.

Plus: NASCAR Clash, Tuesday’s NASCAR “Clash” from Daytona averaged 1.58 million viewers on FS1, marking the event’s smallest audience since at least 2002. Viewership fell 36% from last year, when the race aired on a Sunday (2.46M)

apparently.... 3oo thousand, Wine & cheese'rs...  say I was wrong 🤓

Take a Look at these, F'n Golf ratings...

Phoenix Open final round up double-digits.. Final round coverage of the PGA Tour Phoenix Open averaged a 2.1 rating and 3.69 million viewers on NBC Super Bowl Sunday, up 20% in ratings and 29% in viewership from last year (1.75, 2.87M)

THAT'S INSANE !

Golf is up in part because of the pandemic, I see it on the course myself.  A lot of the younger kids came out to learn during the social distancing.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I'm pretty sure they missed a blip out there in eastern Spain.😁

Northern* Spain ;)

1 minute ago, TexasAg1969 said:

😁

Northeast?

Almost pure North.

9 minutes ago, Nero said:

Almost pure North.

I was almost pure Spaniard until I discovered my grandparents 5 generations back were pure Cherokee Indians. My niece doing family genealogy research ruined it for me with that news after I thought I actually knew where my straight black hair came from through DNA research. So now it must be from both I guess.😁

• Haha 1

On 6/5/2021 at 8:41 PM, SdBacker80 said:

Ha football (soccer) is an obsession in Turkey.  They’re very intense. 

England and Turkey has had a lot of problems between each other over the years. Two English fans from the club Leeds got stabbed to death out there before a European cup game and it’s been hate on both sides ever since. 

19 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Like I said,  that is a surprise.   I knew that Rugby was big there,  and of course there is Australian football.    But cricket? Never knew. 

What a day this was 

2 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

Ha football (soccer) is an obsession in Turkey.  They’re very intense. 

England and Turkey has had a lot of problems between each other over the years. Two English fans from the club Leeds got stabbed to death out there before a European cup game and it’s been hate on both sides ever since. 

Well google “Turkey National Sport” 

I didn’t know this type of wrestling existed expect for the movie “Old School”.

Turkey is very formidable at the Olympics when it comes to freestyle and Greco wrestling.  

18 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I spent far too much time trying to identify the country in which archery is the biggest sport. That would be Bhutan. 

Ha, I'm probably one of the few folks who knows where Bhutan is without looking it up.... Major sport archery? Not mountain climbing?   :D 

Highest Mountain In Bhutan | Gangkhar Puensum, The Highest Unclimbed  Mountain in the World | Times of India Travel

6 hours ago, ballpeen said:

That isn't much of a spectator sport.

LOL, you do have a point there.  :) 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I know where Bhutan is.  Not far from Kathmandu. (Nepal)

I said "few" not "only".  :) 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

LOL, you do have a point there.  :) 

I said "few" not "only".  :) 

So,  we are one of "the Few". 

My cousin was one of the real  "Few",    as in  "Never in the course of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so Few"

RAF  fighter pilot during Dunkirk and  The Battle of Britain.   He was portrayed by  Tom Hardy in Dunkirk.

Here they are together:

Meet Al Deere, the real Kiwi hero of Dunkirk - NZ Herald

On 6/8/2021 at 8:25 PM, The Gipper said:

So,  we are one of "the Few". 

My cousin was one of the real  "Few",    as in  "Never in the course of human conflict has so much been owed by so many to so Few"

RAF  fighter pilot during Dunkirk and  The Battle of Britain.   He was portrayed by  Tom Hardy in Dunkirk.

Here they are together:

Meet Al Deere, the real Kiwi hero of Dunkirk - NZ Herald

So this was Gipper's last post. Talking about where Buthan is and the "Few" of the Battle of Britain. 

I just found out this morning and I'm still shocked. 

• Upvote 1