THE BROWNS BOARD

ESPN writer ranks two AFC rivals' offseasons near bottom of NFL

Tour2ma

The writer: Bill Barnwell... full article available on ESPN+. He ranked the bottom half this week and will reveal his top half next week.

First.... the worst off-season?

Clocking in at #32 are the LAR Raiders starting with their Leatherwood reach-a-mus maximus.

The worst, according to Barnwell, was the Las Vegas Raiders including this note on their selection of Alex Leatherwood, seen as a reach by many:

"Teams have more insight into prospects than we typically do, but given the Raiders’ recent track record with draft picks, they don’t deserve any benefit of the doubt."

Last year, the Raiders finished with an 8 – 8 record under Jon Gruden, faltering down the stretch losing five of their last seven games. They did manage to defeat the Browns, in a weather impacted game, New Orleans Saints, and Kansas City Chiefs early in the season before the late fade.

At #30? The Steelers...

An even more impressive fade belonged to the Pittsburgh Steelers who started the year with 11 straight wins before losing five of their last six and getting unceremoniously dumped by the Browns in the Wild Card round of the NFL playoffs.

Barnwell ranked them as the third-worst offseason in the entire NFL, just better than the Raiders and Green Bay Packers. The piece notes, as we did here, the struggles remaining for the offensive line:

"The offensive line is also a mess, with the Steelers losing Maurkice Pouncey to retirement and both Matt Feiler and Alejandro Villanueva to free agency. They brought back B.J. Finney and used third- and fourth-round picks on linemen, but they project to be below average at as many as four positions. Their decision to try to revitalize the running game by using a first-round pick on Alabama star Najee Harris also seemed curious given what we know about the position."

With Ben Roethlisberger seemingly on his last legs, the Steelers having a poor offseason doesn’t necessarily doom them to a poor season. Losing a lot of talent from the year prior with an aging quarterback will certainly make that more difficult.

So...

Two teams that competed with the Browns last season but faltered down the stretch followed that up with poor offseasons, at least according to Bill Barnwell. The only other AFC contender to even make his bottom 16 list was the Tennessee Titans who he has ranked as the 19th best offseason in the league. A far better ranking than either the Raiders or Steelers.

The Browns came on strong last year and have a very good offseason. The Raiders and Steelers fell off as the season went on and had poor offseasons. As long as that plays out on the field, that is great news for the Cleveland Browns as they chase an AFC Championship.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/03/two-afc-contenders-ranked-as-having-worst-third-worst-offseasons/

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

The writer: Bill Barnwell... full article available on ESPN+. He ranked the bottom half this week and will reveal his top half next week.

At #30? The Steelers...

So...

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/03/two-afc-contenders-ranked-as-having-worst-third-worst-offseasons/

Two AFC contenders ranked as having worst, third worst offseasons   can't get enough 🤭

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Two AFC contenders ranked as having worst, third worst offseasons   can't get enough 🤭

Me either...  This is pure GOLD!

• Upvote 1

Oh look it's espn. The last bastion for great sports writing, said no one ever. Literally no one knows how these of seasons went until teams hit the field. The rams signings were huge for the Browns tho. Pete prisco recently put Kirk cousins and another not so great qb over Ben. Sports writing on the mainstream level is a complete joke now. They've lost the passion and just throw shit on the wall. I follow the smaller outfits because they do a far better job and are at least objective. Espn is good for one thing. The fantasy football app and the nostalgia. It can go away otherwise. 

6 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Oh look it's espn. The last bastion for great sports writing, said no one ever. Literally no one knows how these of seasons went until teams hit the field. The rams signings were huge for the Browns tho. Pete prisco recently put Kirk cousins and another not so great qb over Ben. Sports writing on the mainstream level is a complete joke now. They've lost the passion and just throw shit on the wall. I follow the smaller outfits because they do a far better job and are at least objective. Espn is good for one thing. The fantasy football app and the nostalgia. It can go away otherwise. 

Anyone in their right mind would put Kirk Cousins above  BR  at this point.   Historically?  Certainly not.  In 2021?  Absolutely.   Not that that is saying much about Cousins.

As for ESPN and nostalgia?  They have some good programming there,  but many, many times they are just wrong on some of the historical information they put out.  Or, if not wrong, they have glaring omissions. 

22 hours ago, Vagitron said:

The last bastion for great sports writing, said no one ever.

Seth Meyers fan?

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Tennessee's offseason is about to get better, possibly.

They are on the verge of trading for Julio Jones, for a second rounder at least, according to Ian Rapoport. 

Done deal! 

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported the Falcons have agreed to send their star wide receiver to the Titans, along with a 2023 sixth-round pick, in exchange for 2022 second-round and 2023 fourth-round selections. The two teams later confirmed the deal Sunday.

Tennessee will take on all of his $15.3 million salary for 2021 and the remaining two years of his contract, while the Falcons assume $7.75 million in dead money, Rapoport added.

#Titans offseason: Gained: WR Julio Jones LB Bud Dupree CB Janoris Jenkins DL Denico Autry S Matthias Farley WR Josh Reynolds

Update: Titans will go 20-0 joining the Bucs, Chiefs, Browns and Bills. What a season this is going to be.
🤣

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

On 6/5/2021 at 6:17 PM, The Gipper said:

Anyone in their right mind would put Kirk Cousins above  BR  at this point.   Historically?  Certainly not.  In 2021?  Absolutely.   Not that that is saying much about Cousins.

As for ESPN and nostalgia?  They have some good programming there,  but many, many times they are just wrong on some of the historical information they put out.  Or, if not wrong, they have glaring omissions. 

Gipper speaks to you from the grave V....  And I happen to agree.... Take off your homer glasses...  There isn't a team in the league who would trade Cousins for Ben straight up NOW.

Yall got an entirely new o-line. Odds of Ben surviving the season? Not good.   

15 hours ago, hoorta said:

Gipper speaks to you from the grave V....  And I happen to agree.... Take off your homer glasses...  There isn't a team in the league who would trade Cousins for Ben straight up NOW.

:wacko: If you adjust your heavenly communicator and go over the quote again... then I'm pretty sure you will see that you do not agree.

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

:wacko: If you adjust your heavenly communicator and go over the quote again... then I'm pretty sure you will see that you do not agree.

"Anyone in their right mind would put Kirk Cousins above  BR  at this point." Unless I'm misinterpreting Gip's musing...  He has Cousins as better than Ben....  

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 9:01 PM, gumby73 said:

Sorry. I've been pulling back on my "social media" lately and I'm just now seeing this. Decastro was hurt again. He's going to need surgery which will put him out way into the season. He played through a lot last season and the season prior. I frankly won't be shocked to see him retire unless he gets an absolute dream scenario. Our line was really bad last year and a lot of people don't appreciate it because of the names on it. Pouncey has been rough. Decastro the same but via injury. Villanueva is going to get dog walked in Baltimore. I was surprised by the cut but then after additional reading I wasn't because of the injury and yes they save some cap. Turner is coming off some injury riddled seasons himself so no idea what the steelers have in him.

I can however say I like where the line is headed currently as long as the scheme is as heavy zone as I expect it to be. Harris is going to be a demon this season. Pencil him in for rookie of the year no matter the steeler record. 

As for the other things in this thread for anyone reading. No I would not take cousins over Ben. What has Kirk cousins done? Randy hindered Ben. If he can't get it done under canada put a fork in em but I expect him to quiet some people down. 

12 hours ago, Vagitron said:

A.) Villanueva is going to get dog walked in Baltimore.

B.) Turner is coming off some injury riddled seasons himself so no idea what the steelers have in him.

a.) Good to hear..Lamar seems to like his read block option strong-side behind C, RG or RT..

C 65 Mekari, Patrick CF19 63 Colon-Castillo, Trystan CF20 62 Mancz, Greg SF21        
RG 70 ZEITLER, KEVIN CC/NYG 72 Powers, Ben 19/4            
RT 78 VILLANUEVA, ALEJANDRO U/Pit 00 James, Ja'Wuan SF21

b.) Just as any team..If just One OL starters goes down? It can make a mess..Your Steeler OL depth looks dang scary at that point..I don't see your *starting OL has being as bad as it is being advertised as..Your new play caller & OL coach needs to get busy keeping Ben upright..

What I'm liking with us? Is our starting offensive line comes back fairly injury free...Our backup-1? Chris Hubbard seems to be the only dinged up warrior, coming back from off season knee surgery.. Lot's can happen before week 1.. 

When does your Steeler training camp open to play in the HOF game on 8-5?      Stay Cool! 😎 

On 6/4/2021 at 5:33 AM, Tour2ma said:

First.... the worst off-season?

Clocking in at #32 are the LAR Raiders starting with their Leatherwood reach-a-mus maximus.

At #30? The Steelers...

So...

8 hours ago, gumby73 said:

a.) Good to hear..Lamar seems to like his read block option strong-side behind C, RG or RT..

C 65 Mekari, Patrick CF19 63 Colon-Castillo, Trystan CF20 62 Mancz, Greg SF21        
RG 70 ZEITLER, KEVIN CC/NYG 72 Powers, Ben 19/4            
RT 78 VILLANUEVA, ALEJANDRO U/Pit 00 James, Ja'Wuan SF21

b.) Just as any team..If just One OL starters goes down? It can make a mess..Your Steeler OL depth looks dang scary at that point..I don't see your *starting OL has being as bad as it is being advertised as..Your new play caller & OL coach needs to get busy keeping Ben upright..

What I'm liking with us? Is our starting offensive line comes back fairly injury free...Our backup-1? Chris Hubbard seems to be the only dinged up warrior, coming back from off season knee surgery.. Lot's can happen before week 1.. 

When does your Steeler training camp open to play in the HOF game on 8-5?      Stay Cool! 😎 

The Steeler line is a massive wild card right now.  I expect them to bring in some more depth at some point but I'm very high on Green and Dan Moore.  Dotson has been an animal too.  A lot will hinge on how turner does and the two tackles. I am not AT ALL worried about losing Pouncey, Villanueva or Decastro.  The latter has been battling injuries and while I'm sad to see him go it was a inevitable move after it was said he was heading for another surgery.  I think he's going to retire.  I seriously expect villanueva to be bad in baltimore but i of course could be wrong.  As far as the Browns are concerned they are looking pretty solid.  People are still sleeping on those rams pick ups. However maybe they aren't.  I pay zero attention right now to the mainstream sports media, the majority is seriously half assed.