THE BROWNS BOARD

Reasons why the Browns' defense will take them to the superbowl

calfoxwc

.....maybe. lol.

Read about McKinley - why the Browns wanted him so much -

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/takkarist-mckinley-role-on-defense

Why the Browns Wanted Takkarist McKinley So Much

In Takkarist McKinley, the Cleveland Browns got an edge rusher that tries to address a particular issue that is becoming a trend in the AFC.

and adding Johnson - can't wait to watch this defense. Woods was limping along with a lack of talent. The Browns fixed that.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/john-johnsons-impact-on-browns

John Johnson's Impact on Browns Defense

Discussing the signing of John Johnson, why it's a massive deal for the Cleveland Browns and what they want to achieve on defense.

and Tommy Togiai - I have a hunch we'll hear his name called for a great play, one of these days when he's in the dline rotation.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/cleveland-browns-sign-fourth-round-draft-choice-defensive-tackle-tommy-togiai-165624535/

Browns Sign Fourth-Round Draft Choice, Defensive Tackle Tommy Togiai

The offense can get us to the playoffs- that was proven last year.

Josh Allen, Mahomes, Lamar Jackson present the challenges to the Super Bowl.  We have the personnel to play Woods pressure with four drop the rest in coverage. This style of play is suited to take on the Chiefs and the Ravens- Mahomes and Jackson you get killed if your blitz doesn’t get there and you give up the big play....Although we need to worry about being stout against the run with the Ravens.  Whatever Woods did last year against the Ravens just do the opposite.

You beat those three QBs above with interior pressure all the great QBs have trouble with pressure in the or face.  That’s the next piece with this defense unless with all this versatility we now possess we kick Myles and Clowney inside on some pass rush downs. 

three keys this year...

1. Health

2. Baker continuing on his path to being a very good QB 

3. Luck (not Andrew) but being a little lucky.  Good bounce in big game, favorable call in a big game, etc. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

How many new starters will the Browns have on defense this year from the team that started the  Pittsburgh and KC  playoff games?  

Only possible returners, it seems are   Garrett, Ward, Takitaki, and Ronnie Harrison?  If all those even? 

throwing Greedy into the count (he's played sparingly, since rookie year)... I count over 20 (22), new faces that never took a regular season snap last season or in Cleveland..

Covid/injuries/ect...last seasons.. excuses*? To steal a Dutch tavern phase...This defense was "Hot Garbage" last season..🚮 (and prior) a welcoming defensive roster flush was needed..

We never saw the KC punter last season 😝.. the same in many contests..

I'd hate to think..

a) we had to be near the bottom of the league.. in forcing another team to punt...

B.) Our Special teams of.. 'giving up yards or gaining yards' had to be near the bottom too.. 

Yes! We look better on paper* 👀... on paper drives the media.. Not this Fan 🤓

• Upvote 1

We're gonna see some 4-1-6 D this season... including up to 4 starting caliber CBs on the field at the same time.

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

1. Health

Always a factor, but we also have another "-th" for a change... depth...

8 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

We're gonna see some 4-1-6 D this season... including up to 4 starting caliber CBs on the field at the same time.

Always a factor, but we also have another "-th" for a change... depth...

Actually with Young JOK on the field and either Malcolm or Taki as the solo backer, I tend to think of it as a "Nickel plus" defense.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Here's guessing that Fields will be the other LB w JOK in the future - perhaps not 2021 but after that.. rangy OLB is the role Fields played in college and Fields was stated to be the only player w a skillset similar to JOK in the draft.

Positional redundancy.

• Upvote 1

I'm still waiting to see if Sheldon Richardson finally realizes that no one will pay him what he thinks he is worth and he resigns with the Browns for far less with a few more years added to keep him. Meanwhile I could not understate the importance of adding an inside presence with Superbowl experience like Malik Jackson. I think he is one of the best FA signings we made for the team and he is only 10 months older than Richardson.

30 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Positional redundancy.

Let's call it depth?

Interesting - The Browns are the only team with TWO ROY candidates - Newsome and Owusu-Kamorah. I had no hunch at all that

either one would be available to the Browns in the first round.

https://www.brownsnation.com/nfl-analyst-says-browns-have-2-defensive-roy-candidates/

NFL Analyst Says Browns Have 2 Defensive ROY Candidates

I think Tommy Togiai will eventually surprise us - he has plenty of time to learn and grow behind veterans.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2021/05/01/cleveland-browns-tommy-togiai-home-run/

Cleveland Browns: DT Tommy Togiai is another home run pick

5 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I'm still waiting to see if Sheldon Richardson finally realizes that no one will pay him what he thinks he is worth and he resigns with the Browns for far less with a few more years added to keep him. Meanwhile I could not understate the importance of adding an inside presence with Superbowl experience like Malik Jackson. I think he is one of the best FA signings we made for the team and he is only 10 months older than Richardson.

I believe the Sheldon Richardson boat has burned.  This is just my opinion but I believe he was trying upset/hurt by the cut and especially the timing of it. He was after other teams had spent majority of their money in a free agency where the cap went down for the first time in years meaning he's unlucky to get any kind of big contract. I understand why the browns did it but I will also understand Richardson signing with another team for the same amount or less than what he browns were trying to restructure his contract to. If he resigns would I take him?  Absolutely, he was our most consistent d line man last year (playing well every game)  and the leader of the line especially when Garrett went out.  However I wouldn't sign him to any kind of length other than a year. He's 30 years old now and has played a ton of games.  That body is going to start wearing down. 

Again I believe he will not resign and felt slighted by the team

2 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Let's call it depth?

Interesting - The Browns are the only team with TWO ROY candidates - Newsome and Owusu-Kamorah. I had no hunch at all that

either one would be available to the Browns in the first round.

https://www.brownsnation.com/nfl-analyst-says-browns-have-2-defensive-roy-candidates/

NFL Analyst Says Browns Have 2 Defensive ROY Candidates

I think Tommy Togiai will eventually surprise us - he has plenty of time to learn and grow behind veterans.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2021/05/01/cleveland-browns-tommy-togiai-home-run/

Cleveland Browns: DT Tommy Togiai is another home run pick

Well, I think every rookie is probably a rookie of the year candidate.   I think Chase Young and  Justin Herbert won  offensive and defensive rookies of the year....but there were other candidates drafted down the line,  like  Claypool, and Justin Jefferson and Jonathan Taylor,  not all of whom were even first rounders. 

I’m at the point where I can give a flip about rankings. It is more about how we matchup against the teams that will stand in our way of getting to the Super Bow:

KC

Baltimore

Buffalo

Miami (maybe)

Tennesee (maybe) 

Indy (maybe)

We are good enough to go to the Super Bowl.  

The three at the top of the list what is this defenses answer to Mahomes, Kelce, Hill.  Baltimore: How are we containing Jackson and making it hard on Dobbins and can we cover Andrews? Can we bring out wild Josh Allen and contain Diggs?  

The season is win enough games to get into the final tournament and do well enough to hold these kinds of weapons in check so our offense can score one more point than either of these three teams.  Force a punt, a turnover, make them kick a couple FGs and let the offense so it’s job it is more than capable of...

Our fate is in Baker’s hands if he can take another step (he’ll need the line and his weapons to perform again) you gotta like our chances throwing out all the rankings and records. 

23 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Actually with Young JOK on the field and either Malcolm or Taki as the solo backer, I tend to think of it as a "Nickel plus" defense.

But the "1" in my 4-1-6 is JOK...

His one assignment? Shallow middle zone with one eye on the QB... 1-1/2 if it's a running QB... 2 if it's Jackson... although he still might not be fast enough in that last case.

There's always the 4-0-7...  Welcome to the Will Mr. Harrison! ;)

Add in a DL including MG and Clowney and Takk and I wonder if there has ever been a faster D put on a field...

14 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Add in a DL including MG and Clowney and Takk and I wonder if there has ever been a faster D put on a field...

I cannot emphasize how pleased I am that Berry, Stef and all staff recognize that in defense, speed kills. Got to acquire it and then coach it up right. But without it you're sunk from the snap. And in today's offenses it pushes the limits of any QB, regardless of skill or speed. This is going to be a fun season.🤗

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2021 at 4:17 PM, Tour2ma said:

His one assignment? Shallow middle zone with one eye on the QB... 1-1/2 if it's a running QB... 2 if it's Jackson... although he still might not be fast enough in that last case.

Wu can handle those kind of assignments...

• Thanks 1

Our D is certainly going to be the biggest difference between 2020 and '21...

Have I mentioned lately that I LOVE me some D?

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

takei oh my.jpeg

That 2...

You have one more use left... try not to waste it as you did here.

1st use was outstanding, so we know you can do it.

13 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

That 2...

You have one more use left... try not to waste it as you did here.

1st use was outstanding, so we know you can do it.

This use was super and/or duper.

Stop raining on my parade. 😁

I'm back! Miss me guys? Check that, let's not find out. 

I definitely missed you guys and I'm back from a little Browns hiatus and I'm ready to talk football. Now, the defense. It's no secret that I absolutely detested our defense last year. I think we won way too many games on the backs of our offense and our defense squandered WAY too many big leads. Leads protected by a timely drive our offense pulled out. 

I WANT to give Joe Woods a break. He probably deserves it. He had to play some serious nobodies at key positions at times he shouldn't have, but questions remain. If the defense takes a step, specifically in closing out games, we're serious trouble for people. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1