THE BROWNS BOARD

And We Have Quietly Forgotten About......

nickers

12 minutes ago, nickers said:

Drew Forbes... Who quietly remains on the roster!

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/players-roster/drew-forbes/

Day 3 picks are like lottery scratch off tickets.  You get five to ten scratch offs and maybe a couple win a few bucks.

I will say in years past our second offensive line units in the preseason games were horrid.  And any other time someone had to fill in for injury- we held our breaths that a QB/RB wasn’t headed to the IR. That will not be the case this year. 

• Upvote 3

On 5/21/2021 at 3:30 PM, nickers said:

Drew Forbes... Who quietly remains on the roster!  I know Dorsey was high on him, so who knows.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/players-roster/drew-forbes/

I haven't forgotten him.   I know Dorsey was high on him.

He is a guy who may be hurt by the opt out last season.  Not that the Browns will hold that against him.  Only from the standpoint that others stepped up and he may just find there isn't room for him any longer.  When you start to look at the possible numbers the team might keep, and the guys we pretty much know who are going to make the team, there isn't a lot of room.  It may come down to versatility and I am not sure he has that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I haven't forgotten him.   I know Dorsey was high on him.

He is a guy who may be hurt by the opt out last season.  Not that the Browns will hold that against him.  Only from the standpoint that others stepped up and he may just find there isn't room for him any longer.  When you start to look at the possible numbers the team might keep, and the guys we pretty much know who are going to make the team, there isn't a lot of room.  It may come down to versatility and I am not sure he has that.

He's west coast dude... Might wind up out that way where hes from seems a logical bet..

23 hours ago, nickers said:

He's west coast dude... Might wind up out that way where hes from seems a logical bet..

I didn't know where he ends up was a part of it, but sure, why not?  If he is from there as you indicate ,makes sense to me.  All i know is he looked to be a sure bet to make the team last year.  It won't be as easy this year.  I hope he does.  If so, that means we just got stronger along the line.  Hard to be upset with that.

• Upvote 1

On 5/21/2021 at 5:29 PM, Orion said:

Perhaps Callahan can do something good with him.

What's a Memorial Day Weekend, without viewing a few forgotten Pancakes? 🥞

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/LongFormArticle/The-Top-Five-Blocks-From-The-Browns-2020-Season-165916977/#1651470_1

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

Don’t be surprised if a guy like Hubbard is cut. 

Ah yes! .. the dreaded June 1st trade or cut list will be coming out 🧐.. https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-june-1-cuts-candidates-for-who-could-be-released/ 

Cutting Hub? Cutting Hubbard would save Cleveland nearly $3 million in cap space.

The Browns could get better or similar production from a late-round draft selection or even a player on league minimum.

drafting of OT James Hudson lll could be that guy? Greg Senat the other...But lets not just hand out replacements.. Callahan will coach each to 'Win It' !  

On 5/31/2021 at 9:05 AM, SdBacker80 said:

Don’t be surprised if a guy like Hubbard is cut. 

I will be...

Quality, 4-position, OL backups don't grow on trees.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I will be...

Quality, 4-position, OL backups don't grow on trees.

Normally I would agree.  

1. But He’s 30 and likely has no future with team beyond this year. 30 is an old number considering our roster.

2. We got cheaper younger talent all around him that either have a future with the team (contract wise) and/or have showed enough promise albeit in limited time with the Browns.  

There is time to sort this all out...someone could god forbid get hurt and be out for extended time or anyone of the Lineman in the group take a step back during preseason and camp and make the decision easier one way or another. 

Our roster cuts have mostly been very easy over the years.  Not this year. 

7 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Our roster cuts have mostly been very easy over the years.  Not this year. 

a/k/a... progress...

7 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

1. But He’s 30 and likely has no future with team beyond this year. 30 is an old number considering our roster.

2. We got cheaper younger talent all around him that either have a future with the team (contract wise) and/or have showed enough promise albeit in limited time with the Browns.  

First... 30 is not old for an OL... especially one in a backup role.

I see yours as arguments for keeping Hubbard around at least this year... a year in which you and others see as a SB push far more than I. Could be the best $3mm insurance policy Berry takes out this season.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

a/k/a... progress...

First... 30 is not old for an OL... especially one in a backup role.

I see yours as arguments for keeping Hubbard around at least this year... a year in which you and others see as a SB push far more than I. Could be the best $3mm insurance policy Berry takes out this season.

I Definitely feel like he’s one of the best options off of our bench this coming season.  I think the argument is in keeping him you cut someone we could use this year and the years to come.  But let’s see who has gotten better before we make that call.   Injuries, regression or improvement can happen between now and early September. 

• 2 weeks later...

It all depends on how these younger players develop. If Hudson, Forbes, Hand, Dunn, etc. are really growing and show promise, than I certainly could see the browns dealing Hubbard for a late round draft pick. His versatility has value plus he is on a fairly cheap deal. I could see a team that needs a back-up or someone to step in b/c of injury offer a 6th or 7th round pick for him. 

Hubbard is only 4.9 this year and even if cut is still a 1.3 hit in 2021.

No all-pros are sitting around waiting for a 3.6 salary.

Sure, don't resign the guy for 2022 [presuming other OL are trained into serviceability via Callahan] - but sometimes sitting on hands is the best move a GM could do. 

Last year's playoff run showcased the importance of competent depth, and Hubbard was a part of ours then.. KC showed what happens when you get caught gambling with the cap by not investing in bench OL.

And if Hubbard gets signed by someone else for 2022.. take the comp pick.

Only very rarely can you have an actual starter on your bench.. have realistic expectations of those being our backup OL.. mostly it's either reclamation projects / athletic but inexperienced projections [aka Brock Lesnar to the Vikings] / or barely-capable 7th round pluggers who appear useful one game each year because the other guy has an undisclosed injury.

• Upvote 1