THE BROWNS BOARD

Survey Wednesday May 19.

The Gipper

Here are today's Survey Questions.   Give your answers or opinions:

1.  The NBA Playoffs are beginning:   A  Who do you think will win.     B.  Who do you want to win?

2. The NHL Playoffs are on going:  A. Who do you think will win?   B.  Who do you want to win?  

3.  Do you believe  PFFs  ranking of Baker in the Top Ten QBs in the league.  If not, why not?

4. Rumors are that John Harbaugh could be out after this year at Michigan if he does not beat OSU,  and at least play in the Big Ten Title Game and have a shot for the College Football Playoffs.  Do you think this is true, or do you think they would stick with him regardless?

5. Are  there Diva QBs in the NFL as  Packer legend Ron Wolf stated,  or are these guys just trying to get the best results for their team (and themselves)

6.  Now that the schedule is released,  are there any Browns away games you plan...or would like to attend? 

10 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

1.  The NBA Playoffs are beginning:   A  Who do you think will win.     B.  Who do you want to win?

I want the Knicks to win.

2. The NHL Playoffs are on going:  A. Who do you think will win?   B.  Who do you want to win?  

I hope it is the Pens.

3.  Do you believe  PFFs  ranking of Baker in the Top Ten QBs in the league.  If not, why not?

I do. He’s on the outer edge 8-10 range IMO This is a crucial point in his 4th year where he can take a step forward and I believe some of the names commonly ahead of him are older and may take a step back.  He needs be more efficient improve his Completion Percentage. 

4. Rumors are that John Harbaugh could be out after this year at Michigan if he does not beat OSU,  and at least play in the Big Ten Title Game and have a shot for the College Football Playoffs.  Do you think this is true, or do you think they would stick with him regardless?

Jim had one foot out this year so yeah I can see it. What do you do if you are Michigan.  He’s the prodigal son.  Maybe a young upcoming superstar coach replaces him.  Who is that???  I don’t know and they don’t grow on trees.  Tough spot.  And who cares it’s Michigan. 

5. Are  there Diva QBs in the NFL as  Packer legend Ron Wolf stated,  or are these guys just trying to get the best results for their team (and themselves)

Rodgers has a case.  They drafted his replacement and seemingly didn’t state they would make a move like that last season...and he needed help.  No help again this year.  Brady gets more respect from a team he’s been with for 1 year.  They consult with him when they make moves. Rodgers deserves that same respect from the Packers.

6.  Now that the schedule is released,  are there any Browns away games you plan...or would like to attend? 

Chargers game.  Tickets are unsurprisingly pricey but I’m there.  I’ll make the drive or the train up from San Diego. 

My answers

1.  The NBA Playoffs are beginning:   A  Who do you think will win.  The Lakers...as long as both LeBron and Davis are healthy

B.  Who do you want to win? Either  Utah, or Milwaukee  Followed by Phoenix/Denver/Brooklyn

2. The NHL Playoffs are on going:  A. Who do you think will win?   Toronto

B.  Who do you want to win?  Toronto  or Winnipeg would be good. 

I believe I do.  Here are the  11 names  that  you would, IMO, consider to be better or on par:   Mahomes, Rodgers,  Wilson, Ryan, Jackson, Stafford, Allen, Watson, Prescott, Herbert, Brady, and I think that  there are about 3 of these guys I would not put over Baker. 

I think they will stick with him...unless they really go into the tank and have a losing season or something.   I don't think he will either A. beat OSU  B. Win the Big Ten  C. Make the Playoffs....but it could help him if he could at least win whatever minor bowl game they will make.  He is like John Cooper in that regard...can't even win a bowl game. 

I think it is some of both.  Sure, all these guys want to win and have better players around them.....but some of them are Divas in the sense that they proclaim they won't play...yada yada,  but, when the teams give them big new contracts, all that antipathy goes away. 

I had thought that if things had coordinated with my travel schedule that I may have gone to a game in either  New England, or LA....but they did not work out, not really.  As it stands I could only consider maybe Cincinnati. A one or two night trip. 

I think Nets, I hope not. Rooting for the Lakers. I have only rooted for Lebron when he was with the Cavs, but there seems to be a backlash in this country by the "Patriots" against Lebron James, who is a really good guy and good American ... so I wanna see him win another.

I'm rooting for the Panthers, and why not, nobody really stands out this year, so I'll take them to win the whole damn thing.

Absolutely. Buckle up, boys, Baker/Stefanski is a lethal combination

No, I don't think it's true, they just signed him to a big damn extension.

I don't feel like they are divas, they are leaders, and they know their worth, and they want what they want during their short window of opportunity.

I would like to attend all of them. Have my eyes on Bears home game, not sure if I'll make any road games this year, but I don't rule it out. Next year ... Miami, Baby!

Z

I would like to attend all of them. Have my eyes on Bears home game, not sure if I'll make any road games this year, but I don't rule it out. Next year ... Miami, Baby!

Maybe you should consider coming in for these October dates...where you all could  be here for both a Sunday game and the following Thursday night game: 

6 Oct. 17 Arizona Cardinals 4:05 p.m. FOX
7 Oct. 21 (Thu.) Denver Broncos 8:20 p.m. FOX/NFLN/AMZ

On that subject of attending  Browns games at home.....I have found this recent article:

Cleveland Browns fans will likely be able to pack First Energy Stadium full this coming fall, as long as everything goes according to plan with the battle against COVID-19. After hosting a very minimal crowd last season, the Browns should be back in front of tens-of-thousands of fans before long. The development and distribution of multiple vaccines is the main source to thank.

“While our main focus will always be on the well being of everyone within our stadium. Including players, coaches and of course, our incredible fans. We are encouraged by the current developments related to COVID-19 in our region and hope that we will be allowed to have a full capacity at FirstEnergy Stadium this upcoming season," said Browns Senior Vice President of Communications Peter John-Baptiste in a recent statement.

This statement comes prior to President Joe Biden directing states to have the coronavirus vaccine available to everyone by May 1st. Ohio is on track to meet that mark.

Getting fans back in to stadiums will give a huge boost to money lost during the 2020 season. With the increased revenue in television deals and fans attending the salary cap could largely benefit from stadiums being filled again.

At peak attendance last season the Browns could host 12,000 people, or about 25% of the stadiums capacity. In a season that Cleveland saw a ton of success, it would have meant just that much more if it was a fan-filled atmosphere. Rookies in the NFL did not get to endure large NFL crowds for the most part, it should be a positive twist to their 2021 seasons.

• Upvote 1

On 5/19/2021 at 4:27 PM, The Gipper said:

Not a NBA fan...I don't care

Lightening

Sounds about right

Probably so, and probably time for something fresh.

I think there are egg heads in all lines of work.  Football included.

Not really.  Home games are away games for me.  How many i attend will depend on how many of the tickets i have listed sell.

Here may be something to help you in your choice of who to root for in the NBA and NHL.    Here is the last year in which each team still left in the playoffs, as of today May 25th  last won a championship.....or their year of Origin if they have never won. 

Start with NBA.  Team, then year in reverse order:

LA Lakers  2020.    Defending Champions

Miami Heat  2013

Dallas Mavericks  2011

Boston Celtics  2008

Memphis Grizzlies  no titles  year of Origin:  1995

Philadelphia 76ers   1983

Washington Wizards/Bullets   1978

Portland Trailblazers  1977

NY/NJ/Brooklyn Nets   1976   ABA

Utah/N.O  Jazz  no titles  year of Origin:   1974

New York Knicks  1973

Milwaukee Bucks  1971

LA/SD/Buff    Clippers   no title, year of origin:   1970

Phoenix  Suns:   no title  year of origin   1968

Denver Nuggets:  no title, year of origin   1967

Atlanta Hawks:   1958      as the St. Louis Hawks

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Here may be something to help you in your choice of who to root for in the NBA and NHL.    Here is the last year in which each team still left in the playoffs, as of today May 25th  last won a championship.....or their year of Origin if they have never won. 

Start with NBA.  Team, then year in reverse order:

LA Lakers  2020

Miami Heat  2013

Dallas Mavericks  2011

Boston Celtics  2008

Memphis Grizzlies  no titles  year of Origin:  1995

Philadelphia 76ers   1983

Washington Wizards/Bullets   1978

Portland Trailblazers  1977

NY/NJ/Brooklyn Nets   1976   ABA

Utah/N.O  Jazz  no titles  year of Origin:   1974

New York Knicks  1973

Milwaukee Bucks  1971

LA/SD/Buff    Clippers   no title, year of origin:   1970

Phoenix  Suns:   no title  year of origin   1968

Denver Nuggets:  no title, year of origin   1967

Atlanta Hawks:   1958      as the St. Louis Hawks

of that list, i will go with Milwaukee.

Next,    the NHL:

Tampa Bay Lightning   2020    Defending Champions

Pittsburgh Penguins   2017

Las Vegas Golden Knights   no title  year of origin   2017

Carolina Hurricane  2006

Boston Bruins  2011

Colorado Avalanche  2001

Minnesota Wild   no title   year of origin  2000

Winnipeg   #*#   1999  see below 1999?

Nashville Predators   no title  year of origin  1998

Montreal Canadiennes   1993

Florida Panthers  no titles  year of origin  1993

New York Islanders   1983

Winnipeg Jets   1979   #*#

Toronto Maple Leafs   1967

#*#  The Winnipeg Jets of the WHA  won the championship in 1979.  That franchise then move to Phoenix (Coyotes).  The Atlanta Thrashers moved to Winnipeg...and were renamed the Jets. No titles won since then.  I am not sure if the NHL has merged the old Jets into the new Jets franchise.  But Winnipeg has not won a hockey title since  1979

I have already expressed my preference for  the Toronto Maple Leafs.   Cleveland doesn't have an NHL team.  I could perhaps be convinced to become a fan of the Columbus team...but I am not really there yet.    At this point  I would really like a Canadian team to win it.  NO Canadian team has won the NHL since 1993 (Montreal).   And I like Toronto.   When travel opens up to Canada, and now with my wife retired (in less than 2 weeks)  I will probably make a weekend trip up there sometime.  I also like Vancouver, and will be making a visit there next year as the port from which I will be taking an Alaskan cruise.  But Vancouver is not in these playoffs. Neither is Ottawa which I really like.    I like Winnipeg as well. I have been there.  So they were my second choice. 

Of course, I like LeBron, but he is not 100%.  Anthony Davis is not really a winner in my view and cannot carry that team without LeBron being at his best.  So I don't think they will make it.   Ergo....I  go for the cities that have not won anything in like forever.     I too would like to see  Milwaukee win.  If not them, then Utah/Salt Lake,  which is a city that has never had a major professional sports championship. 

Here are the current odds for NBA teams to win the title:

NBA 2020-21 FINALS ODDS

ODDS TO WIN 2021 NBA FINALS
Team American Fractional
Brooklyn Nets +200 2/1
Los Angeles Lakers +450 9/2
Los Angeles Clippers +700 7/1
Philadelphia 76ers +750 15/2
Milwaukee Bucks +750 17/2
Utah Jazz +850 17/2
Phoenix Suns +1400 14/1
Dallas Mavericks +3000 30/1