THE BROWNS BOARD

Owusu-Koramoah - first steal of the draft?

calfoxwc

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Woods didn't have the pieces to get fancy on defense. Watching Owusu play rover is going to be AWESOME !

https://www.brownsnation.com/jeremiah-owuso-koramoah-sees-himself-as-perfect-fit-with-browns/

Woods relies on having his front 4 create pressure. Historically (even beyond his Cleveland days) He’s one of the least aggressive D coordinators in the league when it comes to bring pressure outside of the Front 4.

Owuso will be utilized more in coverage 

A "rover" in most defenses since 2005 is either an undersized linebacker or a safety that couldn't quite cut it back on a hash.   The idea at first was to make these players the nickel WILL but with plus speed.  It's been a LONG time since I've seen 3 linebackers go out and stay on the field.  2005 Ohio State, IIRC.  Carp would play as an edge while Kudla and Jay Richardson would move around a good deal.   Then Schlegs was the Mike while AJ was the SAM.    Usually it was Malcolm Jenkins or Brandon Mitchell who would come in as the actual nickel.  This first started, from my memory at least, in 2003 with Purdue and Joe Tillers "basketball on grass".   Then Kstate against Al Roberson and (here's a name, Darren Sproles)  Hell, tOSU defense was one of the only ones to stop Vince Young dead in his tracks at times.   Point being, over time the position has become more of an everydown need because of the offensive evolution of college and ultimately NFL football.  I need a 3rd man in that second level who can walk out over receivers and not be embarrassed but also has the necessary size to take on blocks and play down low.  I need someone who can cover, hit, tackle AND run sideline to sideline.    Good news is, these kids who were previously considered "tweeners" before, are not the hot commodity in football.   And even better news, because having elite size and speed is rare, these tweener kids can be found all over.

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

Woods relies on having his front 4 create pressure. Historically (even beyond his Cleveland days) He’s one of the least aggressive D coordinators in the league when it comes to bring pressure outside of the Front 4.

Owuso will be utilized more in coverage 

This isn't all that dissimilar from Vic Fangio.    Though Notre Dame, at least through the 2 games I've watched, has used JOK as an edge or a 5th man in pressure on... I want to say 7-8 snaps so far?    He's being asked to play how Peppers was his RS sophmore year.   Actually, I can't even understand for the life of me this "hybrid" designation given to JOK.  Through 2 season I don't believe he's taken a single snap as a safety.     He's just an undersized WILL from our classic perspective.  

I’m not pouring through JOK tape but the JOK highlights you see lots of shed/slip blocks and make tackles in the backfield on running plays...some are chasing the play from the other side.  He doesn’t stay blocked like most 215 pound guys trying to fly through a line of scrimmage against worthy competition too. 

You see very good coverage skills- some PBUs a few INTs just generally good coverage without PI.  

I see decent pass rush ability but this isn’t his game yet but he looks the part in timing/disguising his blitz well (like Peppers did) and getting to the QB with his athletic ability. 

I think you will see some splash plays from him at the next level. He hits well and moves well enough. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

He doesn’t stay blocked like most 215 pound guys

You see very good coverage skills- some PBUs a few INTs 

I

- First bold.  Welp, Noah Gray, a move TE out of Duke would disagree with you there.

- Second bold.  Young Jok had 1 INT his whole collegiate career.  

https://heavy.com/sports/atlanta-falcons/trade-down-select-jeremiah-owusu-koramoah-in-new-mock/

“In fact, it wouldn’t be surprising if NFL teams evaluated the 215-pounder as a safety in their defenses because the position he played at Notre Dame was more akin to slot corner in the NFL than anything else,” notes Michael Renner of PFF. “He played the overhang spot for the Irish, which meant he often had to run with slot receivers down the field. Even still, he earned [PFF] coverage grades of 77.2 (2019) and 82.3 (2020) the past two seasons.

“His flexibility could be invaluable to a creative defensive coordinator,” concludes PFF, and make him “a defense’s answer to [the] modern offense.”

On 5/16/2021 at 9:57 AM, tiamat63 said:

Decided to start with JOK 

I expect you'll see a guy that sometimes gets himself out of position by being aggressive to make a big play.

The Browns keep saying how he fits what they want their LB'ers to be.  So, they want them to be strong, strong safeties.  Flood the back seven with guys that can run and cover.  I'm quietly hoping that we can stop the run while trying to cover receivers.

32 minutes ago, Orion said:

I expect you'll see a guy that sometimes gets himself out of position by being aggressive to make a big play.

The Browns keep saying how he fits what they want their LB'ers to be.  So, they want them to be strong, strong safeties.  Flood the back seven with guys that can run and cover.  I'm quietly hoping that we can stop the run while trying to cover receivers.

This style of offense really pares well with an offense that can put points on the board, and jump out to leads. You do that, you make the opposing offenses one-dimensional, and they'll play into the Browns strengths.

But if the offense isn't playing with leads on the regular, teams are going to try and pound the ball down the Browns throats. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

This style of offense really pares well with an offense that can put points on the board, and jump out to leads. You do that, you make the opposing offenses one-dimensional, and they'll play into the Browns strengths.

But if the offense isn't playing with leads on the regular, teams are going to try and pound the ball down the Browns throats. 

Sounds 2000's Colts-ish.  

- First bold.  Welp, Noah Gray, a move TE out of Duke would disagree with you there.

- Second bold.  Young Jok had 1 INT his whole collegiate career.  

He looked pretty solid on occasion knifing into the Bama backfield against some NFL talent 

I counted the Clemson game scoop and score as a pick it was pretty darn close but you are right. So he had 1 INT.  Now that I’m corrected and Back to point of my post What do you think of his coverage skills? Like it or not Joe will use that skill set  more so it’s worth diving into - can he do it? 

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

That is EXACTLY the team I was thinking about.

Significant difference is the emphasis placed on the running game in this offense.   It isn't just a close out offense with this coaching staff.  As the KC game showed - they'll feel comfortable airing it out when they're confident in Baker.   Or they'll run the ball 40 times when the gameplan calls for it. 

2 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I counted the Clemson game scoop and score as a pick it was pretty darn close but you are right. So he had 1 INT.

Forgot about that one.  

1 hour ago, Orion said:

He's been out of position a few times, not quite as nasty downhill in tackling against Duke.  And the Duke TE/WR - Gray, boxed him out a few times on some designed perimeter throws.  But his speed from backside pursuit is very noticeable. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

He's been out of position a few times,

...and that's something the coaches will teach to.  

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Significant difference is the emphasis placed on the running game in this offense. 

Yup. With Chubb & Hunt we'll be wanting to get a lead, then run a time consuming offense and be able to control the passing attack of our opponent's comeback attempts.  At the moment however, I'd be concerned if we were playing from behind against, say, the Titans.  (I'm reminded of the Raider game last year)

There is no single "Lamar stopper" individual.  It, much like any rush defense, is a conscious team effort that combines athletic ability, gap/lane/leverage integrity, and sound assignment play finished off with quality tackling.  

Glad to see a writer acknowledge that Young Jok isn't a one man eraser in this case.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

There is no single "Lamar stopper" individual.  It, much like any rush defense, is a conscious team effort that combines athletic ability, gap/lane/leverage integrity, and sound assignment play finished off with quality tackling.  

Glad to see a writer acknowledge that Young Jok isn't a one man eraser in this case.

Or,  like  when I was  in Grade school or Junior High:   Play  "Smear the Queer"    where Jackson is The Queer.

We were not particularly politically correct as 8-14 year olds in the 60s. 

30 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Or,  like  when I was  in Grade school or Junior High:   Play  "Smear the Queer"    where Jackson is The Queer.

We were not particularly politically correct as 8-14 year olds in the 60s. 

Good news for you, I can confirm that we were not politically correct in the late 90's and early 2000's either.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/17/2021 at 3:25 PM, tiamat63 said:

... couldn't quite cut... back on... hash.

Reminds me of my college days...

Sophomore year in particular...

• Haha 1

On 5/10/2021 at 8:49 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Cal calls JOK a linebacker but can't understand why his size is considered a possible weakness, and his reponse is comparing him to a player who was a safety.

Now you've gone and done it... made me give cal an upvote for his rebuttal.

When a player reminds you of someone, he reminds you of someone. Impressions are impressions.

I blame you...

On 5/12/2021 at 10:50 AM, SdBacker80 said:

The Pawn is ruled out. 

No way... it's the only piece with a secret move!

On 5/18/2021 at 5:53 PM, Dutch Oven said:

They can try, but we ain't the Colts...

MG's PFF run-D grade is in the mid-80s... IIRC... while Clowney has graded 91.2. While I doubt Freeney and Mathis ever got to that level, they weren't the problem wit the Colt D that season.

Add that ironically bookending their SB-winning year, 2006, Dunge's Indy D was damn good... vs run and pass. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/

Remember that 2006 D's miraculous resurrection in their playoff run? The source of both the regular season problem and resurrection was one player... Bob Sanders... the oft-injured, All-World Safety. After missing almost all of the regular season, he returned to the lineup for the run.

On 5/23/2021 at 6:49 AM, gumby73 said:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

When a player reminds you of someone, he reminds you of someone. Impressions are impressions.

I blame you...

I'd blame the head injury you must have received recently, if I were you.

Doubling down on a stupid take should never receive an upvote.

12 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I blame you...

No way... it's the only piece with a secret move!

They can try, but we ain't the Colts...

MG's PFF run-D grade is in the mid-80s... IIRC... while Clowney has graded 91.2. While I doubt Freeney and Mathis ever got to that level, they weren't the problem wit the Colt D that season.

Add that ironically bookending their SB-winning year, 2006, Dunge's Indy D was damn good... vs run and pass. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/

Remember that 2006 D's miraculous resurrection in their playoff run? The source of both the regular season problem and resurrection was one player... Bob Sanders... the oft-injured, All-World Safety. After missing almost all of the regular season, he returned to the lineup for the run.

Don't sell short a one booger McFarland. Old boy was on the back 9 of his career, but played possessed in the post season. 

The Colts IDL was a complete disaster during the regular season.  It was a defense built to play with a lead.  And when they didn't have a lead? Good God... Was it bad.

• 2 months later...

Couldn't find the "who you're watching?" thread.  Honestly I got tired after going back 3 pages.  Since this thread was for him, figured I'd post my impressions from the Duke game I started so many weeks ago.

@ 0:10

We call this "short arrow". Motion to a pistol R upback look from the 'H' initially split as a #3.  Makes JOK a true WILL here in this over front.   It's just a little misdirection with a boot away from the motion and fake to the boundary.   Good call, good look.  Nice easy toss for your QB to get him in rythmn.  LT gives a strong zone step to the shade and the weakside end left unblocked. My concern is the lack of recognition with the "flash" crossing JOK's face here.  His reaction and getting caught flat footed is a rough look.  Eyes sunk too much in the backfield and on the QB as opposed to his keys and what's happening in front of him.   (Having to see the release, feel the rollout along with the route combination)      But his quickness almost allows him to recover and make a play.  
... Almost

@ 0:27  SS/5th man edge.   It's a run blitz in an early down "fire" look.  3 Deep, 3 under.  I love the first step and the willingness to attack downhill.  Not a fan of the lack of control he arrives under and the look of getting upfield too fast.   You'll get planted in the NFL by a quality lead if you get picked up by one.  

@ 0:39

Another motion from the 'H'.  2x2 becomes a 3x1, with strength to the field. Now takes JOK from being the WILL to the Field to having to play more of your SAM role.  Which he does well. The motion makes the end to his side "closed", so JOK's 
responsibility is now to play at home in a 'zone away' look.  This reads as man coverage, so he's reading his key (the EMOS, the motion H) seeing the zone block, so now he has to leverage himself well to prevent any lateral cutback to his side,
crash down the line on a stretch but also to play the QB on the waggle.  He reads no keep from the QB, turns his eyes back inside and looks for work.   He just doesn't finish. Sure, him getting halfway boxed out by the end shedding and trying to tackle
doesn't help.  But this was a poor attempt at blasting the RB or evening wrapping up.  Head WAY too down.

@ 0:54  Leverage is interesting. It's about a 5x5.  5 yards deep, 5 yards out (off the ball) It's far enough removed, along with him being a good athlete that he can shut down any sight adjustment, any bubble throws to the slot receiver.
But isn't so far away that he can't come down in lane support in these cover 3 shells.   Again he's playing to the field, regardless of the strength or weak call from the offense.   Notre Dame clearly values his speed, wanting to have their fastest
linebacker available to cover the most amount of available real-estate.  

@ 1:00

It's a pistol I, the motion makes it an L.   I'm really disappointed in the Duke coaching staff so far on offense.   Notre Dame, at least in the early going, LOVES these fire pressures in running situations.   They haven't taken a single  shot exploiting the perimeter against this 3 shell and the NoD corners who... really don't look that good.   Toss in the fact that they're playing a good deal of off.   Hell, 2 and a hitch to that 'X' gets you a cheap 5 yards.  Hoping to see more 
chess as this game goes on.   Just a random observation.

@ 1:26 - When the ball is even hash, JOK is usually found as the WILL or split out over the #2.   Man coverage and that's a hell of a lot of outside leverage to give.  That's a good call by the Duke staff, just terrible execution by their QB.

@ 1:37 - Pistol Ace (even receivers both sides of the center) ball favoring the right hash. Good sudden-ness to get by the #2 and secure the tackle.

@ 1:45 - is a concern though.  Getting boxed out by bigger receivers and 'move' TE's.  This is a great play by the DB #20, more than anything.  JOK needs to clean up the footwork here.  Too much wasted movement.

@ 1:54. - I'm curious how the NoD defensive staff asks their front to handle split runs. Which is what this play is. The lead in this pistol L is assigned to clean up the unblocked backside crash while the Oline zones away.  Generally the backside edge handles that C gap and will keep his outside shoulder and laterally base free even if engaged. He can put a check on the H releasing and then attack upfield to the QB on a bootleg.  Meanwhile the   LB to his side fills agains what was that B gap.   The upback got a great cut on the backside edge, while JOK is shuffling his feet and playing the boot.  Issue with this is the confusion on responsibility, unless there's a gap exchange.  But if this was a Duke RB that was going to the NFL, that backside cut would have been a homerun.   That's the cross center IZ cut that makes Chubb one of the very best in the league.

@ 2:00 - Playing an 2pt edge and just being a rush presence.  Sort of hoping you draw the extra help from the back chipping while the WILL shoots out of the cannon a B gap blitz.   
  Credit to the HB here on the pressure pick up, that's big time shit.  Rushes out to meet contact and doesn't let it get to him.  Doesn't really "win" the block by annihilating the backer ala what somebody like Vernon Davis or some other  blocking back in the NFL will do.  But to take on a LB that has some size and weight on you, giving your QB that extra second to get the ball off...    You have to stop and appreciate that.   His coaches saw it in film after this and were very happy.

@ 2:27  - Cover 0.   Some help zone for the underneath passing lanes vis a vis the check on who picks up the RB depending on if/where he releases.  Another pistol ace set.  And instead of JOK being over that Move TE/H of Duke's, he's still playing the field side.  Like I said, they value his wheels.   You don't even really call him a weakside linebacker in this system.  He's your field side body Another over front, center doesn't pick up the 3tech on the zone step in time and as a result the play gets blown TF up.  Shame because the front & backside guard made it to the 2nd level.

@ 2:48 - FINALLY the adjustment I've been waiting to see from the Duke offensive staff against NoD's single high looks.  Use your wingspan on the perimeter against their average corners.  Decent throw, better adjustment and catch by the receiver.

@ 2:55 - QB with a sight adjust, wanting that 2 and a hitch... a little smoke route to again attack the perimeter.  Ballsy call throwing to the far side for any collegiate QB.   NoD looks ready because this is a bait call on defense and a cool one at that. Front side edge drops flat to pick up the back, SAM stays eyes on the upfield back, dline slant to the outside shoulder and JOK gets the call off the weakside edge to rush.  8th man walks down, bluffs pressure and flys over the #2 in man coverage.   Show the field CB in off, takes a back step but really he's squatting waiting for that hitch or something to break out from the #2.  Meanwhile the FS rolls outside of that corresponding hash to pick up the #1 vertical... which he does.  

Honestly, I can't tell who fucked up here.  The correct way to beat this is usually to roast the squat corner and work in the space before that roll safety.   But like I said before, the QB reads sight and breaks to the smoke, NOT on the same page with his WR.  Great call from NoD because this damn near could have been 6 points the other way.

@ 3:13 - Duke QB is... not good. NoD backs out into a fairly straight forward cover 2. MIKE backer doesn't even really get depth to the middle hole.   As a QB, you have to simultaneously read the defense while keep the route blueprint in your head and, as best as I can describe, simultaneously "overlap" these two.   The influence from the 'H' on the option out means you hit the square in behind him.   The 'X' was where the ball should have gone.  Instead the Duke QB is eyeing up his 'Z' on the stick. (we call the off-LOS receiver Z, but generally in a tagline it goes XYZ. Some offenses might call him the Y...whatever)  I suppose it wouldn't have been a terrible idea if the ball was delivered on time and inside, but the QB just didn't pull the trigger on either throw.   Ball has to be out. 

@ 3:45 - WILL in a nickel role. Backside pull and the lead pickup the same guy (frontside edge) so this run is already fucked numbers wise.  Eyes take JOK to the ball.  See's the pull from the backside so that B gap he had now becomes and R-Agap (right side of the center) force.  I like the down step, I like he's staying remotely square, but that back step when you freeze the frame at 3:47.  Have to watch getting happy feet too much, it's just more wasted motion.   I'm nit-picking, but you're a pro now so it's fair to do such a thing.   RB gets caught by the initial contact from the 3tech slanting and leveraging the LG, JOK comes in to clean things up.   All things... this is a sound play.

@ 3:56 - This was a good pickup by JOK in a bad man coverage shift.  The SAM attacks downhill to pick up the halfback, but the MIKE steps lateral to track him out of the backfield as well.    JOK see's that and moves to carry the H upfield as he bends around the linebacker vertical heading over. You see the shift by the linebackers just before the snap.  SAM should have taken the H in man, then you have a pass off on the back depending on where he releases.  Leaves either the MIKE or WILL man-free or, if the coach calls it, he can green light and pressure on a back staying in to block.  Great heads up football.     Duke QB makes the right decision by again attacking the perimeter and NoD's average corner play.  WR just can't come down with the ball.  Give it up to the Domer CB, #28.  That's good play start to finish.  Patient mirror, good contact without holding, squeezes the WR to shorter space, stays on his hip the finishes with the look and lean with hands up.   

@ 4:06 - So far, everytime NoD has parked JOK on the 2pt edge rush in their 4 man fronts it has been when they brought additional pressure to his side.  This time they bring the DB off the #3 as a free rusher.   5 man protection and a 6 man pressure = ball needs to be out.  If that ball is out on time and on place to that Z on that deeper slant, it's probably a house call.

@ 4:42 - If you ever find yourself as the backside edge on a zone away look, DON'T do what this kid did.  He's the unblocked defender in this OZ look.  His initial move is correct, flow with flow, keep your legs moving and stay square.  You're having to fill two roles here, crashing and  shutting down the cutback lane if you read give and/or staying home and forcing the throw from the QB if you read keep/boot.   But when you're making the read on this slow play, you read the QB hands.  No ball = crash   Ball = home.     Eyes were in the backfield the whole way, pause at 4:45.  QB was 10 yards outside on the rollout before he even noticed.   That is not good situationally aware defense and I know he got an ear full in the QB room.    But since we're on the topic of JOK here,  his footwork did him no favors here.

His initial step is down and lateral, but then he sits flat footed for just a second.  Don't do until you know.  In this case his concern was on zone fake to the boundary with even numbers.  This isn't a play I'm overly concerned about if I'm him.  My line has been winning up front all day  And we're not playing a light box.  The Boundary safety is sitting at 8-9 yards off the ball.  That play isn't going anywhere.  The recovery angle was too flat and then he tried flipping his hips.     Admittedly he was put in a bad spot by the backside edge I mentioned so he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. But Duke is looking like they've found newer ways to exploit the outside.  This time with the fake away and boot to the play design, a simple little Ohio concept against a triangle (3 man) cover.

Outside WR clears out the corner, #2 gets his 1 on 1 look against his DB in off so all he has to do is eat some cusion and win because
 Nobody is getting depth underneath to really make that window as small as possible.   The most impressive thing is that, despite the OC handing his QB a freebie it's STILL a shitty throw.  Duke QB had time to roll, quick set his feet and shoulders and lead his man.    Nah... I'll just lob up this duck above and inside the linebacker, inside of lower and outide... preventing any possible YAC.

@ 4:50 - Jesus H Fuck, this is turning less and less into a tape on JOK and more and more into a tape on the poor pre & post snap decision making of this Duke QB.
 Attacking the perimeter doesn't always mean the throw has to be to the sidelines, vertical or high.  You can attack perimeter defenders with positive (inward) breaking routes.   This is a good example.  It's just a little double under to the field, and you have MAN COVERAGE for Christ sake. This is pre-determining your throw the whole way.  First off, that single high is sitting on top of that boundary hash.   Tom fucking Brady wouldn't even attempt this, because why would I risk a 25/75 pass to the endzone on 1st & 10 when I can take a 95/5 pass for 6-7 yards?  There's a time and a place for those types of shots and shit wasn't it.    It's a poor excuse for a look-off, and the X receiver - #19... that's where the ball should have gone.  
 JOK is walked out over a #2 to the field in a trips look.  I can all but promise you that's a gift of a matchup for any offense in the NFL barring facing trash skill players.  It's a gift at the collegiate game because I know he's in man coverage which means I know the corner to his side isn't getting help either.  Ball. OUT. 

@ 5:00 - This is nice to see.  Think of that route like a reverse glance.  3-4 steps stem inside, get the defender leveraged then break to the out.   The only problem is, JOK is outside leverage, stays outside leverage and most of all - knows he has help inside.   Why would I bother biting on that move?  Great plant and first drive step with no hesitation on what he see's.
Works to the inside hip of the receiver then attacks the ball with his upfield hand while keeping his right hand on the receiver (without drawing any flag-able contact) to secure a tackle.  Fantastic.

@ 6:09 - Bluff on a 5 man pressure.  First time I've seen NoD use JOK as an edge rusher in their 4 man looks with nothing fancy behind it.   I had the volume up just enough to hear "Bryce on a designed run" over my music that was playing (I never listen to commentary)
       That wasn't a designed run.   Quite the fuck up actually because if the QB just takes his little outlet to his back, that's an easy 1st down.  

@ 6:19 - Cloudy v Clear on this strong size zone.  Don't want to extend too far and leave that B gap open.  Good reverse on his course, but because his lateral movement (crossing his feet while trying to stay square, I might add = not ideal) he couldn't get downhill with any real authority.  Still cleans it up though.   Wondering if the Duke coaches will see these cutback lanes opening up and work with the position coaches and OC live?

@ 6:32 - That play I mentioned @ 4:50?  Duke went back to it because they got that same man coverage look with JOK split out over the #2 to the field.  Only this time the QB pulls the trigger on the right read, which is JOK matched up on a receiver that far out.  Something he won't do much (if any)
         in the NFL. The athletes are too good, the QB's are too good, and you won't be able to count on the WR falling elbow first into the DB forcing a fumble.  Anywho, it's that same double under except the 6 man pressure opens up the faster throw to the inside on the #2 receiver.  Smart choice when you're just 
         just looking to move the chains on 3rd and 5.

@ 6:43 - Duke coaching staff didn't have not a one bubble RPO in that playbook, eh?  This should have been stealing if they did, especially with the 7 man fronts NoD had been showing against the run on early downs vs your 11 personnel.   Read the Field backer, read the safety over him.   If JOK is on edge you can flip that bubble out using the X to block the corner and
         force the safety to tackle in space.  If JOK stays out along with the safety then you have very favorable numbers to just hand it off.   Sprinkle one or two of those in there and you'll move the ball.   I'm sure Sark with Bama had to be licking his chops before bowl season watching this.

@ 7:10  Same pressure as before.  JOK coming off the field side edge, 4 man look with a dline slant and the strong side 2 pt dropping flat ends up in a 3 deep, 4 under look.  Duke QB is just really, really bad.  The offensive coaching staff has zero creativity and hasn't done anyone any favors.   No screens, no RPO, nada.

@ 7:18   Duke RB out here looking like Trent Richardson and Stevie Wonder.

@ 7:20  There it is again, same as 4:50 and 6:32 except from a wider split.  Trips to the field, double under from the outside.  Grip and rip to the #2 with the void he's working with.  At this point it's a 2 score game and still winnable with time left in the 3rd.  NoD isn't leaving their base, at least in terms of moving JOK inside against  all these trip looks.  Take advantage of the matchup you have here.

@ 7:37  Good shit.  JOK see's the backside pull and doesn't wait, he triggers downhill on clear from the voided gap by the pull.   Great read, great trust in what you see.   BAD arrival to the ball carrier.   Can't help but feel that if you ran that backside pull from the same formation but toss in a waggle, maybe that H throws in a split block then peels flat? You'd probably have an easy TD.

@ 7:52  Outstanding.   JOK steps down, but not too far down, while tracking the back flat. He paces himself way from eyeing up the release that he sits even with the RB, peeks back inside, reads the QB's motion and then locks onto his man.   Arrives quickly, under control for the most part and makes a brillaint open field tackle.   Not the finest offensive work, but JOK blows it up which is all that anyone can really ask of him.

@ 8:00  Oh, hey... a screen.  Down 11 on 3rd and 15 with NoD content to give you 10 yards and burn clock.   Awful play calling.

@ 8:22  Edge screamer, causes the pressure and flushes the QB.   LE would have had himself a sack if he had just not taken himself out of the play.

@ 9:01 - Here's another creative way the Browns can use JOK, but honestly I wouldn't send this from the field unless you have the right DB's behind it and the oppropriate offense that you're facing.  Mahomes will eat this look alive. Field side 4th man off the slot, backside edge drops flat, just another cool little creative 3 deep shell. Kind of reminds me of those strange 4 man pressures Jim Schwartz would come up with.    Anyway, JOK has the speed to close this and get home.   But like I said, good to great QB's will use all that available space when they see a linebacker, even one as quick as JOK split out that far wide.

So far. -  Plays as a WILL-Nickel to the field exclusively.  He's quick, explodes downhill, but not always compact and under control. Doesn't shy away from contact despite being undersized, but doesn't always have LB fundamentals with his tackling technique or how he processes things unfolding in front of him.
Good instincts and twitch covering underneath and short space.  Fast enough to carry routes down the seam as well. His footwork needs to be cleaned up and I do have questions about the blocks he can take on and/or shed at his size.  The footwork I talk about stems from sometimes being either too aggressive downhill or staying flat footed while he reads.
Consistency and the mental fundamentals are my question(s).  His athletic ability and motor certainly are not.     Looking forward to watching more since he'll be out another week or so from training camp.

• Thanks 2