THE BROWNS BOARD

Owusu-Koramoah - first steal of the draft?

calfoxwc

or maybe the second after Newsome?

I was going to do one more mock draft and draft a lb, but it was so

convoluted I gave up. But Owusu has intrigued me from the beginning.

I watched his film the first time, and I realized he is a playmaker like Troy Pollywearsatutu was for the squealers.

I'm serious. Maybe nobody else sees that, but I saw it, still do. He has the instincts and speed and amazing athleticism to just

blow plays up.

To have gotten him in the second round is freaking amazing. I swear the squealers would have drafted him in the second, if the Browns hadn't traded up.

Freaking brilliant.

Some interesting analysis:

22 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

He’s a defensive chess piece 

A pawn? 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

What do you think? 

I think there are no "defensive chess pieces" since even the king can be used on offense. 

10 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

or maybe the second after Newsome?

Newsome went about where expected so I would not call him a steal. But I do agree we moved up on a dropping 1st rounder ahead of Pitt whom I think would have taken him. So he was a double steal in my way of thinking, once for the spot we took him and once for denying him to a rival.

The other thing I liked about our overall draft was speed. Can't fix slow but you can fix players with speed under good coaching.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

The rookie contract of a second-rounder will over the life of the deal pay... roughly equal to Yung Joc's current personal net worth, 4M.  It's a conspiracy!

That's what happens when you live that 20:1 income to bar tab ratio.

My biggest fear with this kid is that on some plays he naturally leads with his helmet... But I've seen plays where he leads with his shoulder... My point being is.. If this kid is what I think he is.. They might create rules because of him... I'm just glad he's on our team...

4 hours ago, nickers said:
My biggest fear with this kid is that on some plays he naturally leads with his helmet... But I've seen plays where he leads with his shoulder... My point being is.. If this kid is what I think he is.. They might create rules because of him... I'm just glad he's on our team...

I wonder if he’s been hit with targeting?  How often? That will tell you what you need to know.  The College game errs on the side of caution.

I remember D Ward getting a cheap one against Maryland when he was at OSU 

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

But Polamalu was a safety. Jok is supposed to be a linebacker. 

What do some of the great safeties do?  Cover the elite TEs, come on a blitz, great in run support.  Hell It will be nice to see a LB or S whatever position it is consistently tackle well 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

But Polamalu was a safety. Jok is supposed to be a linebacker. 

you are missing the point. Jok is an amazing PLAYMAKER. He blew plays up in college.

Troy Pollyfullapupu was an amazing PLAYMAKER. He blew plays up in college.

Maybe it's just me, but I see similarities, so here's their college highlights.

watch their highlights:

• Upvote 1

On 5/10/2021 at 9:49 PM, Dutch Oven said:

Cal calls JOK a linebacker but can't understand why his size is considered a possible weakness, and his response is comparing him to a player who was a safety.

Quality stuff here. 

I agree that JOK "only" has safety size.... How will he fare in run support when teams put an offensive lineman on him- they're going to outweigh him by 100 pounds.   

I'm not unhappy with the pick- but I learned my lesson long ago to not gush about a guy we just drafted... Time will tell...  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

you are missing the point. Jok is an amazing PLAYMAKER. He blew plays up in college.

Troy Pollyfullapupu was an amazing PLAYMAKER. He blew plays up in college.

Maybe it's just me, but I see similarities, so here's their college highlights.

watch their highlights:

You are missing the point. One was a tremendous playmaker at a position he was built to play. The other may not be built to play the position he is scheduled to play. I hope you are right. That it won’t matter. 

10 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Sounds like a guy that shadows and tracks Lamar in the AFC divisional game
And then covers Kelce in the AFC Championship game.

I will not call him a chess piece I don’t want to get gored by another poster 

He's a knight. If you know much about chess the optimal use is to jump in behind the other teams pawns (OL) and wreak havoc.😁🐴

• Upvote 2

lol.

Meanwhile...Schrager says Browns got the best value pick of the draft. And were the only team that got an A+ grade. guess who that pick is....

https://www.brownsnation.com/peter-schrager-says-browns-got-the-best-value-pick-in-entire-draft/

My goal within the next 30 days was to go through and watch the full season for all of our draft picks, including a couple notable UDFA (Wilson, mostly)

Decided to start with JOK in the season opener against Duke as opposed to Newsome first.    Kid can fly, but like any young player attempting to get the mentals of the position down, what I saw has me raising some questions that I'm hoping are answered by film as the 2020 season progresses in my viewings.   Won't be posting much until I have the entire season knocked out or barring a huge off-season move.

See you boys around Memorial Day.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

My goal within the next 30 days was to go through and watch the full season for all of our draft picks, including a couple notable UDFA (Wilson, mostly)

Decided to start with JOK in the season opener against Duke as opposed to Newsome first.    Kid can fly, but like any young player attempting to get the mentals of the position down, what I saw has me raising some questions that I'm hoping are answered by film as the 2020 season progresses in my viewings.   Won't be posting much until I have the entire season knocked out or barring a huge off-season move.

See you boys around Memorial Day.  

I look forward to the first report.