THE BROWNS BOARD

May Cable Tips

Cable tips for may

There are literally hundreds of cable series available and because they are all bingeable release dates aren’t really that important.  As a matter of fact, when I'm looking for a new series to watch I like to know that it's been around for a few years saving me the trouble and aggravation of having to wait 12 months between seasons, or getting pissed off when it gets cancelled after the 1st season. Here are a couple you might like if you’re still spending more time at home than you care to. First entry is relatively recent but maybe the description wouldn't grab you right off the bat. If someone told me I would have loved a show about a young orphan girl who becomes a chess master Id have probably fallen asleep during the description alone.  But my rock guitar playing buddy Mike told me he liked it I gave it a shot at after a couple episodes I was hooked. I love the period piece set design and cinematography and somehow, they found a way to make a chess match as exciting as a sporting event.  Well, not a Browns game but at least MLS…  Be forewarned, there are actually some painful episodes but it never goes off the track into the abyss.   It also wraps up well so I am a little concern with the rumors. That is when the producers found out how popular it is they’re considering another season. I have no idea where they would go. THE SINNER, AMC and Netflix is a little bit under the radar and I've just finished season 3.   Bill Pullman is Harry Ambrose, a psychologist/detective and the people he tracks down are nuts. Actually, he isn't wrapped all that tightly himself and is constantly dealing with his inner demons.  This is another show I began watching on recommendation. The 1st season was OK the 2nd fell off a bit but I was convinced to watch the 3rd.   Frankly unless you've seen everything else, I can’t give this one a wholehearted recommendation even though the 3rd season got a little bit back on track with a very creepy bad guy. I actually know some folks who love it but I didn't.  All of the characters share a lack of charisma and the payoffs are never what you would hope for. Give it a few episodes as she what you think. By the way if anybody out there has any favorite cable series, especially some that might be off the beaten path, they would like me to write about or check out drop me an email westsidesteve@aol.com I just watched the 1st episode of MARE OF EASTTOWN over on HBO Max a local police drama starring Kate Winslet as a cop in a rural Pennsylvania village.  It's pretty intriguing so far; I will let you know more next issue!

WSS

• 2 weeks later...

Since Mare of East town  Won't be ready to binge for a while I rolled the dice on Startup.  Pretty raw pretty gritty and with a lunatic for a bad guy So far there's no cast member that I can really empathise with but a couple that I actually hate. i thought it would be a silicon Valley business thriller but actually it's more a rough and lowdown crime show set in Miami.

WSS