THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Sign Another DT Vet

darren15

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Whether we wish to admit it or not, the success of this defense - I.E. reaching the potential this personnel (on paper) appears to have, rests largely on the health and performance of Andrew Billings.

But you probably won't hear his name mentioned but a couple times between now and the regular season.  If he comes back and shows out like he did with Cincy in 2019, then the sky is the limit.  If he doesn't, and the Browns lack a suitable nose/shade replacement (which right now we have no answer to)  then.... Well, a defense that is weak right up the middle tends to not be a good defense.

Well, if he does not work out....we may at least have a few candidates that could be The Answer.   Elliott, Jackson, McDowell, Togiai,  Hip to be Square.  If not one individual, then perhaps the collective of all of them can really gum things up to let  Clowney and Garrett and Wu and Phillips hopefully clean up on the edges. 

10 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well, if he does not work out....we may at least have a few candidates that could be The Answer.   Elliott, Jackson, McDowell, Togiai,  Hip to be Square.  If not one individual, then perhaps the collective of all of them can really gum things up to let  Clowney and Garrett and Wu and Phillips hopefully clean up on the edges. 

Yeah, no.  We have no substitute for a 6'2 330lb space eater at a nose or guard shade who will anchor well against natural doubles.

We want speed at the 2nd level? Have to keep them clean.

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Whom fell to day 2, you're not adding.  Just where I said McNeil would be.  Because the drop from 1 to 2 didn't look that steep on film when you discounted their respective assignments over the course of a season.

And McNeil went in Round 3 (#72) your not adding, some 44 selections after Barmore (#38) with another DT (#41) in between. I'd say the drop from those first two to the 3rd pick is a fairly significant dropoff.

59 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And McNeil went in Round 3 (#72) your not adding, some 44 selections after Barmore (#38) with another DT (#41) in between. I'd say the drop from those first two to the 3rd pick is a fairly significant dropoff.

It is - but it's still day two. Where I get my max IDL value in a weak(er) IDL class.

Remember, the last person who compared positional value between players was Cal with Jeremy Chinn and Kyle Digger - who, funny enough, also went to the Pats. 

Early return has my selection of Chinn ahead in that little race.

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Yeah, no.  We have no substitute for a 6'2 330lb space eater at a nose or guard shade who will anchor well against natural doubles.

We want speed at the 2nd level? Have to keep them clean.

When you say nose guard that contemplates in my mind them running a 3-4 type defense. Is that really what they plan?  

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

When you say nose guard that contemplates in my mind them running a 3-4 type defense. Is that really what they plan?  

Antiquated terms.  But when Woods was in Denver, they did play a fair amount of blended gap 3 man base, actually more of a 40 under call but would look "3-4" to most eyes.   Think the early days of the Seahawks under coach Bradley.

Do I think he would like to deploy some of those sets?  yes. 

7 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

It is - but it's still day two. Where I get my max IDL value in a weak(er) IDL class.

Remember, the last person who compared positional value between players was Cal with Jeremy Chinn and Kyle Digger - who, funny enough, also went to the Pats. 

Time will tell. We'll revisit in 2-3 years to see where things are.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Productivity, Chinn is ahead. But it also depends on the defense, etc they play on, and the offenses they face, etc. The Patriots passed over Jeremy Chinn, in the draft... so I wasn't all that far off.

NOTE: I am the guy who spelled Dugger's name correctly though.

Kyle Dugger

NFL Draft: 2020 / Round: 2 / Pick: 37

Jeremy Chinn

NFL Draft: 2020 / Round: 2 / Pick: 64

23 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Productivity, Chinn is ahead. But it also depends on the defense, etc they play on, and the offenses they face, etc. The Patriots passed over Jeremy Chinn, in the draft... so I wasn't all that far off.

NOTE: I am the guy who spelled Dugger's name correctly though.

Kyle Dugger

NFL Draft: 2020 / Round: 2 / Pick: 37

Jeremy Chinn

NFL Draft: 2020 / Round: 2 / Pick: 64

They primarily play the same role - 7th man, box safety, 4th linebacker.   But Chinn, per football outsiders, took more snaps as the 3rd S/DB and boundary hash safety than Dugger.

Also, typed that last post on my phone and naturally auto correct had it's say.

Both are producing in the NFL, so at least in that respect we have the eye for DB talent.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

They primarily play the same role - 7th man, box safety, 4th linebacker.   But Chinn, per football outsiders, took more snaps as the 3rd S/DB and boundary hash safety than Dugger.

Also, typed that last post on my phone and naturally auto correct had it's say.

Both are producing in the NFL, so at least in that respect we have the eye for DB talent.  

Oh, I know my perspectives are limited - never played. But it's kinda like enlisting and going through basic training two years after being sent home from being drafted because my knee was so bad. I was born a goofy, very stubborn comedian child. I'm retired now, and have an artificial knee. Too bad I didn't have one in '73. lol

btw, a while back, a friend sent me a picture of some animal poop on her deck and asked me what it could be. I said "rabbit turds, lol"

but my "smartphone" said "rabbit turfs" instead....

35 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Oh, I know my perspectives are limited - never played. But it's kinda like enlisting and going through basic training two years after being sent home from being drafted because my knee was so bad. I was born a goofy, very stubborn comedian child. I'm retired now, and have an artificial knee. Too bad I didn't have one in '73. lol

btw, a while back, a friend sent me a picture of some animal poop on her deck and asked me what it could be. I said "rabbit turds, lol"

but my "smartphone" said "rabbit turfs" instead....

Your phone wasn't wrong, that's just rabbits establishing dominance - marking that territry (as pronounced by Steve Irwin)

• Haha 1