THE BROWNS BOARD

Rodgers for Baker is being speculated by the media. Thoughts on Rodgers with this roster!

Joe Montana won 4 SB's and was shown the door for Steve Young.  Why is Baker untouchable?  He's just young.  And he'll never be Young.  Or Rodgers.  Baker is probably maxed out and his talent is below Mahomes and Josh Allen.  Rodgers with this core roster could easily win one SB or more. 3 in a row?  Maybe!

12 hours ago, mohican said:

According to Mary Kay Cabot's Browns sources,  this is all just some mental masturbation by sportswriters

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/05/browns-are-all-in-on-baker-mayfield-and-wont-be-trading-for-aaron-rodgers-browns-insider.html

Unfortunately, the article is hiding behind a paywall...  :(  

12 hours ago, SkippinTurtles said:

Joe Montana won 4 SB's and was shown the door for Steve Young.  Why is Baker untouchable?  He's just young.  And he'll never be Young.  Or Rodgers.  Baker is probably maxed out and his talent is below Mahomes and Josh Allen.  Rodgers with this core roster could easily win one SB or more. 3 in a row?  Maybe!

Baker isn't untouchable... But please just give up the Rodgers infatuation- it's not happening. Rodgers is 12 years older than Baker- for starters. He's going to be long out of the league while Mayfield is still playing.... You have no idea if Baker is maxed out either. The number of QBs who didn't hit their stride until their late 20s- or later- is pretty long. Jim Plunkett immediately comes to mind. 

There's only two QBs in the NFL I would consider making a swap for- that's Josh Allen and Pat Mahomes- and respectively- they're both untouchable. Baker is pretty much in that category too, in 2021 and 2022. He'd have to seriously regress for the Browns to give up on him. AND YOU DON'T NEED THE GOAT (OR HIS FIRST COUSIN) TO WIN A SUPER BOWL...   Very mediocre guys like Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien, Doug Williams, Jim McMahon, Jeff Hostetler, and latest career backup Nick Foles got their rings. Brady didn't so much "win" his last SB- the Buc's defense brought Mahomes back to earth. It's a TEAM game guy.   

• Upvote 1

This thread is still goin' eh?  Sportswriters trying to keep busy in May.

At 37, I guess you could get 4 or 5 super bowl runs out of him, if you thought he could play to a high level into his 40's.  But you'd have to have a sense that Baker is not going to be very good QB.  As a GM, that's putting your neck out there.

The assertion that Rodgers on this roster equals instant SB is a strawman argument.. "this roster" must drop in talent by 3,4 players to shoehorn Rodgers' salary under the cap.

Also, each draft pick from CLE sent to GB as part of the trade makes our roster even worse in future years.. relative to the rest of the league who will be using their picks to improve while Cleveland does nothing.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, SkippinTurtles said:

Salary cap question.  Can't Rodgers play for one dollar a season like Brady pretends to?

STFU...DA

SHUT

THE 

F&%#

UP...

DUMB

A$$!!!

Baker Mayfield is OUR QB1!!!!!! 

GO BROWNS!!! 

GO

SKIP

AWAY

TROLL

TURTLE!!! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SkippinTurtles said:

Salary cap question.  Can't Rodgers play for one dollar a season like Brady pretends to?

Will you just return to  Earth from LaLa land? Brady has NEVER, I repeat-  NEVER played for a buck a year. It's not Rocket Science to find Tom will make $10 MILLION BUCKS+ this year. And that's because his wife probably makes more money than he does.  :) Unsympathetic laid it out for you. Who you going to cut/trade to clear $30+ million of cap room? 

On top of that, it's also one of the reasons Rodgers is pouting and wants out of Green Bay.  His measly $33 million only puts him at #12 on the salary scale. (Guess State Farm isn't paying him enough for those commercials. ) You think he's going somewhere else and work cheap? Just a ploy on his part to get his pay upgraded. 

On 5/9/2021 at 7:43 PM, hoorta said:

Unfortunately, the article is hiding behind a paywall...  :(  

Baker isn't untouchable... But please just give up the Rodgers infatuation- it's not happening. Rodgers is 12 years older than Baker- for starters. He's going to be long out of the league while Mayfield is still playing.... You have no idea if Baker is maxed out either. The number of QBs who didn't hit their stride until their late 20s- or later- is pretty long. Jim Plunkett immediately comes to mind. 

There's only two QBs in the NFL I would consider making a swap for- that's Josh Allen and Pat Mahomes- and respectively- they're both untouchable. Baker is pretty much in that category too, in 2021 and 2022. He'd have to seriously regress for the Browns to give up on him. AND YOU DON'T NEED THE GOAT (OR HIS FIRST COUSIN) TO WIN A SUPER BOWL...   Very mediocre guys like Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien, Doug Williams, Jim McMahon, Jeff Hostetler, and latest career backup Nick Foles got their rings. Brady didn't so much "win" his last SB- the Buc's defense brought Mahomes back to earth. It's a TEAM game guy.   

First off I don't think Josh Allen is all that... Secondly... Joe Flacco comes to mind when I think of "Mediocre"

2 hours ago, nickers said:

First off I don't think Josh Allen is all that... Secondly... Joe Flacco comes to mind when I think of "Mediocre"

1) I can't name every bum QB who won a Super Bowl because of a great supporting cast. 

2) If Allen's 2020 season is any indication of what to expect of him in the future, you're dead wrong. Peruse his stats on pro football reference.  He's apparently overcome his big flaw- lack of accuracy.  Just may be seeing the second coming of John Elway. 

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

1) I can't name every bum QB who won a Super Bowl because of a great supporting cast. 

2) If Allen's 2020 season is any indication of what to expect of him in the future, you're dead wrong. Peruse his stats on pro football reference.  He's apparently overcome his big flaw- lack of accuracy.  Just may be seeing the second coming of John Elway. 

I don't question the physical side of him.. its the mental aspect that does not wow me much.. He choked like a bitch in the playoffs.. He reminds me of Donovan McNabb in that regard...

42 minutes ago, nickers said:

I don't question the physical side of him.. its the mental aspect that does not wow me much.. He choked like a bitch in the playoffs.. He reminds me of Donovan McNabb in that regard...

don't worry - Hoorta had Josh Rosen rated higher than Allen before the draft. Not worth arguing over.....

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

don't worry - Hoorta had Josh Rosen rated higher than Allen before the draft. Not worth arguing over.....

Josh Allen being a decent NFL QB is literally about the only thing this dipshit has ever been right about on this board.

I guess we are destined to hear about it until cal ends up in a nursing home getting his diapers changed by some 19 year old girl making $10 a hour. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Josh Allen being a decent NFL QB is literally about the only thing this dipshit has ever been right about on this board.

I guess we are destined to hear about it until cal ends up in a nursing home getting his diapers changed by some 19 year old girl making $10 a hour. 

I know you love cal so much, but I have to side with him on this one. 

He got many people in this board saying that Allen couldn't hit the broad side of a barn during all the draft process and he shut many voices with his performance (plus he's a great guy and team leader, IMO). 

So cal has some bragging rights on this one.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Nero said:

He got many people in this board saying that Allen couldn't hit the broad side of a barn during all the draft process and he shut many voices with his performance (plus he's a great guy and team leader, IMO). 

A blind squirrel etc. ?

24 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

A blind squirrel etc. ?

A win is a win. That's the same case scenario when a bad soccer player scores a beautiful goal: "it's a fluke, blablablah..." Who cares as long as HE DID score a beautiful goal. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Nero said:

Bad math and arriving at the correct answer aren't mutually exclusive events.  

Half the issue wasn't Josh Allen himself, it was Cals politically based campaign against Rosen that elevated to creepy levels such as posting pictures of Rosen's girlfriend and criticizing him for having a lady that attended a different school.

Then lauding Allen's physical measurables, which nobody here doubted, but ignoring the...quite literally..everything else.

The quintessential "HE'S A BIG, STRONG, AFC NORTH QB".  The type of thinking that lead the Browns and other rust belt teams to draft Quinn, Weeden, EJ Manuel, Harrington, Kizer, JP Losman... Who else am I forgetting?  I guess you can include Manziel because of everyone's obsession with him running around like an idiot against bottom 50 defenses. 

Those picks, being drafted to less stable teams, flamed out pretty hard.  All of them likely wouldn't have been productive picks Anyway as they showed,little to no development elsewhere.

Point being, it was the obsession with the physical traits and not the mental prowess that ultimately lead those to be fools gold.

Allen is different in that, his college tape looked and still looks like absolute shit - but he has an established team and coaching staff around him with a front office who was willing to see if they could develop him (mentally) into a franchise QB.

Don't forget, as much as Cal lauds Allen now, those first 2 years were absolutely brutal.  Check the numbers.  If not for the resolve of ownership, poor draft position, along with a gift of an easy schedule and 10 win season in 2019 - Buffalo could have moved on.

It's worth keeping in mind, for as much clout as Cal wants to give himself, the Bills still aren't completely sold on Allen otherwise they likely would have reset the market after 2019 or even this season and paid him.  Sure, you can assess the effects of the salary cap hit from CoVid, and that very well may have been a factor.

But the Browns have done the same thing with Baker too.  I venture a guess that teams are hesitant to toss early money ala L.A. with Goff as an example of being overzealous.

Has Josh grown beyond far beyond the bounds of what he showed in college? Yes.   But let's be honest, most amateur eyes saw a canon for an arm with height and desperately wanted him to be Big Ben.

Edit: ill say this for Cal - there was more detail and nuance to his assessment on Kyle Dugger. (Forced the name the phone tried to correct)  So his growth in how he sees a prospect does have some merit.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SkippinTurtles said:

This offense could easily set the scoring record this year with Rodgers.  Easily.  An undefeated season as well.  Why not?  Do what Brady couldn't.  Finish a perfect season.  This trade has to happen.  This team would just be way better overall.  Way better.

Besides you obviously just being a troll to keep going with this.

You sure about that? Like has been pointed out, you can't just swap Baker and Aaron for each other because of the cap.

The difference in the salaries appears to be 26.5 mil about. Which equals: OBJ and at least 1 more starter. But, lets put even that to the side. Heck, since you want this record setting offense, let's use D. Ward, Clowney, Hill, Jackson, Billings is about the price. But let's even get away from the salaries.

What gives you the idea that Rodgers is that guy? Yes he is one of the best QBs ever and the reigning MVP. He also has won 1 Super Bowl, and has been BLOWN OUT multiple times last few years. You even have no idea how he fits into this system (even being better than Baker).

But, lets even use less. He has ALREADY talked about being near the end. So is it worth it to give up the future even with a "guarantee" (that is never possible) of 1 SB? Who replaces AR in a year or 2? It's now not Baker as he is in GB. It's not a 1st rounder in next 2 drafts as they are also in GB (and would be last with a SB win).

We get it, you don't like Baker. We get it, Rodgers right now is better than Baker. But ruining the future for 1 possible better chance at a ring is asinine.

And to even achieve the better chance you also lessen the team CURRENTLY. It's either get rid of one of those weapons that would be pivotal in the record setting offense AND at least one other starter (probably 2), or 5 D players (4 starters at least). 

And all of those because you dislike Baker and want to be a troll. Hey, maybe it would work on Madden clown

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Half the issue wasn't Josh Allen himself, it was Cals politically based campaign against Rosen that elevated to creepy levels such as posting pictures of Rosen's girlfriend and criticizing him for having a lady that attended a different school.

Then lauding Allen's physical measurables, which nobody here doubted, but ignoring the...quite literally..everything else.

The quintessential "HE'S A BIG, STRONG, AFC NORTH QB".  The type of thinking that lead the Browns and other rust belt teams to draft Quinn, Weeden, EJ Manuel, Harrington, Kizer, JP Losman... Who else am I forgetting?  I guess you can include Manziel because of everyone's obsession with him running around like an idiot against bottom 50 defenses. 

Those picks, being drafted to less stable teams, flamed out pretty hard.  All of them likely wouldn't have been productive picks Anyway as they showed,little to no development elsewhere.

Point being, it was the obsession with the physical traits and not the mental prowess that ultimately lead those to be fools gold.

OK, there are a few corrections I should make:

Was not political at all. I did jokingly bash him about the girlfriend thing just to be funny. I did not ignore character, work ethic and smarts etc - that is what I based my lack of belief in rosen. He just didn't have leadership, didn't seem to love the game, and his personality was seriously lacking. Actually, it was few who kept up with the "best drop back passer" who disregarded who he was as a person. Rosen was very, very accurate. Allen was often not. But it was easier for Allen to develop fundamentals to be more accurate, than for Rosen to undo a life of becoming who he was as a person.

for those same reasons, I didn't like the qb's you listed, and you can ask Canton Mike - I was a huge NO FREAKING WAY on manziel.

it was about hoorta demanding I not disagree with him and his friends about rosen. I just got stubborn about that.

Right now, the Niners having drafted Trey Lance, Rosen is third string, and the question is if he will stay with the Niners.

Rosen hasn't had much of a career so far - with him having been labeled another "Tom Brady" type qb.

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/why-the-san-francisco-49ers-should-keep-josh-rosen

15 hours ago, Nero said:

Yes, the blind squirrel found his acorn, true enough. However.  With my mountain climbing bent- I've been to Laramie several times, and there's a soft spot in my heart for the University of Wyoming.  For the record....  I watched at least 4, and probably more like 6 complete games of Allen's exploits at U of W.  And I'll stand on and repeat what I said back then. In college, Josh couldn't hit the broadside of a barn at 20 yards 1\2 the time.   He was horrendously inaccurate. That he had an Elway level arm wasn't ever in question. 

He's also one of the rare birds who diligently sought out help- and was able to fix his flawed mechanics that was resulting in his inaccuracy.  There's plenty of articles out there documenting that- if you want to Google them. I'll just quote from one.  :)    

"Allen, who’s on pace to break the franchise record for yards in a season (4,359 by Drew Bledsoe in 2002) and passing touchdowns (33 by Jim Kelly in 1991), said QB guru Jordan Palmer brought in a digital mapping expert to run a diagnostic test on Allen’s throwing motion this past offseason. The person who administered the test set up 15 cameras to analyze Allen’s throwing mechanics. What the diagnostic review showed was that Allen had flawed mechanics."

Cal still trying to tell people his his weird obsession with hating Rosen wasn't political is still hilarious, three years later.  

And shoehorning Josh Rosen into this conversation shows how absolutely infrequent he's ever right about anything. He probably stops random strangers on the street and tells them how he wanted Allen over Rosen in the 2018 Draft. It's his one shining moment, I suppose? 

4 hours ago, SkippinTurtles said:

This offense could easily set the scoring record this year with Rodgers.  Easily.  An undefeated season as well.  Why not?  Do what Brady couldn't.  Finish a perfect season.  This trade has to happen.  This team would just be way better overall.  Way better.

Seek mental counselling- it's not happening. 

1) No we wouldn't- because as myself and others have been pointing out- and you're not listening the ONLY way to fit Rodgers under our cap this year is to dump at least $25 million in salary to get there. 

2) This trade has to happen only in your mind. Shortsighted thinking. 

3) This won't die because the talking heads somehow think it's a great idea. The sound wasn't on at my favorite pizza joint this afternoon, but ESPN's Highly Questionable was dredging it up yet again.  

The only way I'd do that trade is as follows.

Green Bay gives:

Rodgers, a 2022 second, and eats the difference between Baker's and Rodgers' salaries in 2021 and 2022.  Yes, they're paying us to take him off their hands.

Browns give:

Baker Mayfield. That's it - nothing more, not even our long snapper or JV cheerleader squad.

The Brock Osweiler Trade: Electric Boogaloo!  

Trolling achievement: Unlocked.