THE BROWNS BOARD

Anthony Swartz - the second steal of the draft for the Browns?

calfoxwc

25 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

This is amazing.

Anthony Schwartz was coined the fastest man in the draft.

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2021/03/20/2021-nfl-draft-pro-day-highlights-auburn-anthony-schwartz-40-yard-dash-video/

But can he catch?

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

So was John Ross at one point.

...Who wore the wrong cleats and missed a huge prize. 

So was John Ross at one point.

...Who wore the wrong cleats and missed a huge prize. 

Ross came in and basically was expected to be the Bitchy Pussies  #1 guy  (hoping that he would supplant AJ Green).   That is not the case for the Browns. He won't really even be considered the Browns best  long threat  (OBJ).  A threat nonetheless, but not the #1 guy.  Not for a while anyway. 

• Upvote 2

I love this pick because I believe we aren’t asking him to do too much- right away- we have OBJ, Landry Higgins, DPJ for most of the heavy lifting.  A third round pick a few years ago would he asked to do more - not now with kind of roster we’ve assembled.  

He’s going to be a special package guy (again what I believe to be the case).

If we bring John Ross up Lets just hope he doesn’t have the John Ross injury bug 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SdBacker80 said:

I love this pick because I believe we aren’t asking him to do too much- right away- we have OBJ, Landry Higgins, DPJ for most of the heavy lifting.  A third round pick a few years ago would he asked to do more - not now with kind of roster we’ve assembled.  

He’s going to be a special package guy (again what I believe to be the case).

If we bring John Ross up Lets just hope he doesn’t have the John Ross injury bug 

If anything else.. it shores up the return game on ST's... Buh bye Jojo Natson!

Possibly.  Natson has more wiggle he handles punts well too.  Schwartz looks like his overall speed and movement with the ball maybe better suited for Kickoff Return game.

Schwartz is probably going to be a 8-10 play offensive guy/decoy.  He will get a couple touches on end arounds bubble screens and we will send him deep once or twice.  Two minute offense he’s probably on the sideline when DPJ, Landry, OBJ and Higgins are doing work.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nickers said:

Not sure it is Swartz that does that.  They drafted Fenton  for that.   Per what I researched, I have not seen where Swartz was at all involved in returning  kicks/punts. 

Unless you can find some stats that show otherwise.  

24 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Not sure it is Swartz that does that.  They drafted Fenton  for that.   Per what I researched, I have not seen where Swartz was at all involved in returning  kicks/punts. 

Unless you can find some stats that show otherwise.  

I don't care who they put back there Kick offs or punts... Just be fast and a sound ball control returner...

"With a drop rate of 9.3% on 86 targets, Schwartz ranked 7th worst in the SEC among receivers with at least 50 targets - "

Not a fan of that.  

There were some stud WRs in the SEC can you share where we ranked in relation to the Bama, LSU, Ole Miss WRs.

I saw where Elijah Moore was 2.4% drops only 2 drops on the year 

25 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

There were some stud WRs in the SEC can you share where we ranked in relation to the Bama, LSU, Ole Miss WRs.

I saw where Elijah Moore was 2.4% drops only 2 drops on the year 

Bama w/ Smith - 2.9%

LSU w/ Chase - 5.7% 

Ole Miss w/ Moore - 2.3%

Receivers in the last 10 years the Browns have drafted with 10+ % drop rates.

Greg Little - 18.67%  - 2nd round 

Vince Mayle - led D1 with 19 drops that year. -  4th round

Corey Coleman - 11% - 1st round 

Ricardo Louis - 11.1% - 4th round 

Antonio Callaway - Can't find but I remember talking about it. Was right around or just over 10% - 4th round.

One of my biggest philosophy's that rarely, if ever, gets me burned when it comes to WR's...     I need to know your hands AND your feet can be consistent.   There's no point in drafting you top 100 otherwise.   I'm saying that you're one of the best 100 players to come out of college that year, so I need you to have a command of the most fundamental aspect to your position.

Fortunately for the Browns, Schwartz isn't being asked to come in and play any role that has to do with downfield significance.  At least, early on.   Auburn threw him a ton of work on tap passes, jets and misdirection screens.   He'll likely get that early and often here, toss in the occasional dialed up deep shot.      This coaching staff has to see if they can trust work coming his way.     I'm not saying it isn't possible he overcomes those issues or that players before him haven't done the same.   They very much have.  But the odds are against him as the volume of WR's who flamed out because they couldn't catch far exceeds the amount of those who solved that puzzle.  

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Watch the "Road to the Pros" 3 part series on Schwartz!!! Gives a great perspective of his talents! He led Auburn with 117 catches with 8 drops...I really like this kid!!!

GO BROWNS!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Possibly.  Natson has more wiggle he handles punts well too.

...but we also drafted Felton.  And between the 3 of 'em, Natson seems like the guy that wasn't drafted.  Unless one of the drafted guys flat-out sucks in TC, they'll make the team.  

I see Gipper is passing off my posts as his "research" again...

28 minutes ago, BrownsnMopar said:

Watch the "Road to the Pros" 3 part series on Schwartz!!! Gives a great perspective of his talents! He led Auburn with 117 catches with 8 drops...I really like this kid!!!

That is his career catch total at Auburn...

... but, yes, his 54 catches in 2020 did lead the team.

Personally I'm not a fan of smallish WRs and CBs returning kicks... too slight... too fumble prone. I prefer RBs pull that duty. But at least Fenton returned kicks at S. Carolina.

Punts? Entirely different matter... that I can see Schwartz doing.

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Personally I'm not a fan of smallish WRs and CBs returning kicks...

Personally, I'm not a fan of 'starters' returning kicks.   Too dangerous.   

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

... but, yes, his 54 catches in 2020 did lead the team.

Personally I'm not a fan of smallish WRs and CBs returning kicks... too slight... too fumble prone. I prefer RBs pull that duty. But at least Fenton returned kicks at S. Carolina.

Punts? Entirely different matter... that I can see Schwartz doing.

Sorry I was not clear on the 2020 catch totals! He needs coaching! But seems a coachable young man! We have an amazing coaching staff. He is a small project with amazing UPSIDE! From the series he seems to LOVE football! He left the track side of his life to pursue FOOTBALL!  MAY THE SCHWARTZ BE WITH US ON MAY THE 4TH BE WITH US!!!! 

GO BROWNS!! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LBC mike said:

thought he was a Jewish kid til I saw the video.

I said on the draft thread that he sounded more like a Deli owner than a football player. 

And since this IS  Star Wars Day,  I guess that also makes it   Space Balls Day as well:    May the Swartz be with you 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Yea, I don't think so  because I decided to go full  K-hole just like this turd has been for years and put him on Ignore, so I could not have seen whatever crap was spewing out of his sphincter.   I mean, when a thread is about a particular player, is he too stupid to understand that  others besides him  may actually  come up with the notion to check that players stats?  Is that just arrogance, or ignorance  or a multiplication of both for him to believe that only he has access to player stats. 

16 hours ago, LBC mike said:

thought he was a Jewish kid til I saw the video.

He's looks like hes Afro-american Jewish descent.. His Mother is also name Schwartz and is white..So He grew up fatherless obviously..

14 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I said on the draft thread that he sounded more like a Deli owner than a football player. 

And since this IS  Star Wars Day,  I guess that also makes it   Space Balls Day as well:    May the Swartz be with you 

2368687_0.jpg

1 hour ago, nickers said:

He's looks like hes Afro-american Jewish descent.. His Mother is also name Schwartz and is white..So He grew up fatherless obviously..

I'm pretty lucky with the friends I got. I keep a tight circle, always have, always will.  My 5 dearest, we jokingly refer to ourselves as the Security Council, I've known since the earliest days of high school.  The better part of 20 years now. 

1 is black, 1 is bi-racial, 1... his dad is a Pacific Islander, and we fuck around calling him Pineapple Express, he hates it but all of us die laughing. Then the two resident white boys with above average skills - myself included.     We fuck around and share all sorts of meme's in our group chat ranging from serious stuff (Doge coin) to stereotypes about skin color and the such.  I'm white, I hate mayo, don't really like ranch and I drive a Cadillac, believe me I get shit thrown my way all the time by these 4.  They're jealous because I actually am the best dancer of the group.      Just this Saturday I heard "why do all white people smell like bologna and mayo"...    Couldn't stop laughing.     Why? I love these guys, we're a unit and I know they mean zero harm in what they say.  

This... the bolded, however.   That doesn't quite pass the "were amongst friends", smell test.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Oscar Meyer...Manischewitz...Star Wars...Yoda yada.  I like the pick. 

He was plucking the ball out of the air pretty well in the “highlights”.  He had a QB Bo Nix more of runner and the backup played too I believe.  Their QB spot was mess.  

Anyway I’m not trying to make excuses he’s below average based on the numbers and needs to improve OR...and especially early on his career you don’t put him in situations where he has to make the tough catch like we did with Callaway and Little time after time - Throwing them 25 yard dig routes ball arriving behind them in between defenders 

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

Oscar Meyer...Manischewitz...Star Wars...Yoda yada.  I like the pick. 

He was plucking the ball out of the air pretty well in the “highlights”.  He had a QB Bo Nix more of runner and the backup played too I believe.  Their QB spot was mess.  

Anyway I’m not trying to make excuses he’s below average based on the numbers and needs to improve OR...and especially early on his career you don’t put him in situations where he has to make the tough catch like we did with Callaway and Little time after time - Throwing them 25 yard dig routes ball arriving behind them in between defenders 

He was in the Gus Malzahn system wich really does not cater to the WR position... I'm glad we passed on him as a potential HC here... I still think this kid is a very solid pick... I wouldnt be asking much from him this year , except on ST's ....