THE BROWNS BOARD

James Hudson III (do we have a thing for Roman numerial names?) Breakdown...

Tour2ma

For starters he has a rare distinction...

OK... more to the point. Here are the available game tapes I viewed/ am viewing...

1. UC vs. UGA (2020 Peach Bowl) is one of the better tapes available... and is a cut up... but as seen in the above we only get to see our new OT a little less than a half. There is also the full game if you are so inclined.
  2. Memphis vs. UC (2020 Week 9) full game
  3. UCF vs UC (2020 Week 12) full game

There are also a couple 2019 games, but Hudson, who transferred from tsun, played very little in 2019 due to a hardship waiver (about having to sit out... I think) being denied/delayed.

So to the youtube machine I go...

Game 1 Impressions... man, 2 quarters went by quick...

• Hudson saw little of Ojulari early when they mostly danced with Ojul looking like he was playing contain, but got a heavy dose of him in Q2 with Ojul scoring two very clean beats both to the inside (one using a very pretty swim... the other pure speed following a head fake to the outside... the latter made Hudson look as bad as he did the entire half and earned him a flag).
  • Never really saw Ojul test him with a pure speed rush up the field... not sure why... a token one set up one of the inside wins. While UC sometimes lined up a TE wingman for our new guy, I don't recall seeing a chip... so shows a degree of confidence in the kid.
  • No other UGA Edge... and there were at least two, also undersized... challenged Hudson.
  • Hudson's form? Decent... at least from the knees up. He has a nice seat... hand position is good (above mentioned flag was the only hold called, but he held plenty of other times with well-placed hands inside his opponents frame). Also his head is on a swivel and seems to recognize stunts quickly, which is fortunate because he doesn't react all that fast to what he sees. Fortunately most of the stunts to Hudson came from a big, ol' UGA DT looping over the Edge. Of the three times I can recall only once did the DT win catching James a little off-balance and then helping him be more off-balance.
  • And from the knees down? Raw... raw... raw... There's not a hint of a kick-slide. Worse yet his 1st move in PassPro tends to be to raise his right (inside) foot and then put it back down very close to where it started, i.e., a completely wasted movement. From there he does tend to chop his feet... which is good as it keeps him ready to move. When engaged they do settle down. Only once did I see any hopping and that was to the outside to set an edge for a read option that never came.
  • Movement? There was one TE screen to his side where after inviting and pushing the Edge inside he released to the near sideline... and he did not look too bad... for an OG. He even got to the CB reacting up to keep the play inside, but instead of running thru him where he was (as in the above video ;) ) he tried to react to the CB's juke and effectively whiffed... but the CB juked himself out of the play so same same. It's just always nice for us big guys to connect with those lil guys... #@tia... :D
  • Functional strength? Remains a question... never saw him anchor against size in PassPro or drive size in run blocking... not in this half a game anyway.

Bottom line... his feet need training no matter where he ends up, but especially if he's to compete at OT. Otherwise there's some form there and we've got plenty of teachers on staff. and both in and around the locker room. He does look better on the field than his ProDay measures would lead you... or at least me... to believe, but that's faint praise. I honestly feel like my expectations were too low going into this first tape. Won't be the case with the other ones...

All for now, but I leave you with this... another fairly rare thing for any college player, let alone an OL. Sounds like a good locker room guy...

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

For starters he has a rare distinction...

OK... more to the point. Here are the available game tapes I viewed/ am viewing...

1. UC vs. UGA (2020 Peach Bowl) is one of the better tapes available... and is a cut up... but as seen in the above we only get to see our new OT a little less than a half. There is also the full game if you are so inclined.
  2. Memphis vs. UC (2020 Week 9) full game
  3. UCF vs UC (2020 Week 12) full game

There are also a couple 2019 games, but Hudson, who transferred from tsun, played very little in 2019 due to a hardship waiver (about having to sit out... I think) being denied/delayed.

So to the youtube machine I go...

Game 1 Impressions... man, 2 quarters went by quick...

• Hudson saw little of Ojulari early when they mostly danced with Ojul looking like he was playing contain, but got a heavy dose of him in Q2 with Ojul scoring two very clean beats both to the inside (one using a very pretty swim... the other pure speed following a head fake to the outside... the latter made Hudson look as bad as he did the entire half and earned him a flag).
  • Never really saw Ojul test him with a pure speed rush up the field... not sure why... a token one set up one of the inside wins. While UC sometimes lined up a TE wingman for our new guy, I don't recall seeing a chip... so shows a degree of confidence in the kid.
  • No other UGA Edge... and there were at least two, also undersized... challenged Hudson.
  • Hudson's form? Decent... at least from the knees up. He has a nice seat... hand position is good (above mentioned flag was the only hold called, but he held plenty of other times with well-placed hands inside his opponents frame). Also his head is on a swivel and seems to recognize stunts quickly, which is fortunate because he doesn't react all that fast to what he sees. Fortunately most of the stunts to Hudson came from a big, ol' UGA DT looping over the Edge. Of the three times I can recall only once did the DT win catching James a little off-balance and then helping him be more off-balance.
  • And from the knees down? Raw... raw... raw... There's not a hint of a kick-slide. Worse yet his 1st move in PassPro tends to be to raise his right (inside) foot and then put it back down very close to where it started, i.e., a completely wasted movement. From there he does tend to chop his feet... which is good as it keeps him ready to move. When engaged they do settle down. Only once did I see any hopping and that was to the outside to set an edge for a read option that never came.
  • Movement? There was one TE screen to his side where after inviting and pushing the Edge inside he released to the near sideline... and he did not look too bad... for an OG. He even got to the CB reacting up to keep the play inside, but instead of running thru him where he was (as in the above video ;) ) he tried to react to the CB's juke and effectively whiffed... but the CB juked himself out of the play so same same. It's just always nice for us big guys to connect with those lil guys... #@tia... :D
  • Functional strength? Remains a question... never saw him anchor against size in PassPro or drive size in run blocking... not in this half a game anyway.

Bottom line... his feet need training no matter where he ends up, but especially if he's to compete at OT. Otherwise there's some form there and we've got plenty of teachers on staff. and both in and around the locker room. He does look better on the field than his ProDay measures would lead you... or at least me... to believe, but that's faint praise. I honestly feel like my expectations were too low going into this first tape. Won't be the case with the other ones...

All for now, but I leave you with this... another fairly rare thing for any college player, let alone an OL. Sounds like a good locker room guy...

Nice job great breakdown.

They played Tulsa and I know he locked up with Zaven in parts of the game. 

3 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

They played Tulsa and I know he locked up with Zaven in parts of the game.

If you can find it, I'd love to look at that. But it did not show on youtube.

I still plan to check out the other two games that are, but neither UCF nor Memphis had an Edge player of note.

And thanks for the compliment...

If you can find it, I'd love to look at that. But it did not show on youtube.

I still plan to check out the other two games that are, but neither UCF nor Memphis had an Edge player of note.

And thanks for the compliment...

ESPN showed a highlight where he walled off a well timed blitz off the edge from Zaven.  He had a step on Hudson from the snap and he recovered well. 

Tulsa and Cincy played a tight game this year.  I remember watching some of it this past fall.  I’ll look around too. 

He’s had some good competition I wonder if he played in the 2019 game against OSU?  Maybe he went against Chase Young 

12 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

I won't load a 2 hour game, but full game can be seen there

Link? I don't see the full game anywhere...

10 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Thanks, gum...

Now would you cut it down for me? ;)

If you haven't yet done so, just click on the lower left & you'll get the full game (cut down) on youtube.

Mike

2 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

With the number of OL men on the roster I’m not sure he even makes it 

A strange pick in round 4

He will make it as a backup.  I am pretty secure in saying that.   Backup OL WAS one of the identified needs for this team to come away with in this draft. 

• 2 weeks later...

May 19—Toledo native James Hudson has officially signed with the Cleveland Browns, the organization announced Tuesday.

Hudson, an offense tackle, was a fourth-round selection in the 2021 NFL draft out of the University of Cincinnati.

"I'm very blessed and thankful to be in the situation that I'm in," Hudson said. "I'm more than excited to be a part of the Browns organiztion. I'm ready to get to work. We're expecting big things this season, and we're ready to make it to the Super Bowl."

Hudson was the lone offensive lineman at Cleveland's recent rookie mini-camp, giving the Central Catholic product 1-on-1 instruction with offensive line coach Bill Callahan and assistant offensive line coach Scott Peters.

"They really taught me a lot in those three days," Hudson said. "I feel like I improved in those three days. I just need to keep working every day and improving every day."

Vice president of player personnel Glenn Cook said the Browns hoped Hudson would be available as the fourth round began.

"I think we went to bed last night hoping that he would be there at this spot," Cook told reporters May 1. "The kid is from right up the road and at his position, you never have enough big dudes that can move and fit into this scheme. Just a really good fit, a really good value for where we got him.

Hudson's flexibility stood out to Cleveland in the draft process.

"A couple of things that stick out are, No. 1, just extremely athletic," Cook told reporters. "His movements, his twitch, really his feet and just a combination of all of those things really blend well with our wide-zone scheme. Just the versatility he will bring, we will cross-train him [at guard] a little bit — obviously, work him in slowly — but his ability to play multiple positions was just another thing that we really liked."

---------------------   He grew up a Vikings fan in a Browns household.  My departed best friend was a Vikings fan, who liked the Browns because I did.  I'm adopting Hudson as my sleeper and I'm gonna root for him to be great.  Coach him up Mr. Callahan!

• Upvote 1

I'm glad they took a developmental OLineman in this draft, especially considering only Wills is a lock to be on the team in, say, two seasons. 

Tretter, Bitonio and Conklin are all veterans who make a ton of money, and Teller is a free agent after this season. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm glad they took a developmental OLineman in this draft,

I didn't think they would draft a CB in round 1.  (wrong, but then I didn't think that Newsome would be there)

I didn't think they would trade up for a LB'er.  (wrong, but really I was only thinking round 1)

But I DID think they would draft an OT.  (even the blind squirrel)  We went through hell on the OL for a while last year.  Both tackles were hurt and/or gimpy towards the end of the season.  And so now they're gonna make the season longer.  Brilliant!

4 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

There is a good chance that at least 3 of the 5 starting OL just play out their contracts and leave.  

A possibility that 4 of the 5 do it.

We need to develop depth that can eventually take over

Well....there is a possibility that the entire  90 man roster does that...eventually. 

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

There is a good chance that at least 3 of the 5 starting OL just play out their contracts and leave.  

A possibility that 4 of the 5 do it.

We need to develop depth that can eventually take over.

• Conklin (age 27, 2 seasons left on contract: $13mm this/ $15mm next, but with an additional $6mm in residuals spread over the next two years 3 and 3)
  • Teller (27, 1 season: $2.3mm)
  • Tretter (30, 2 seasons: $11.1/$9.9mm)
  • Bito (30, 2: $10.0/$10.0mm)

First... we are way too clustered age-wise as it is so losing 2 of the 4 is not all bad.

While signing a FA replacement for Teller is likely to be as unaffordable as resigning him... assuming that he plays to his 2020 level this season... that is certainly not the case a year later when a sizeable salary or two may depart. It'd help a great deal if Harris develops and makes Tretter's departure relatively painlees

Fortunately we saw not one, but two OG backups last year that looked viable: Forbes (24, 3: $0.9/$1.0/$1.1mm) and Hance (25, 1: $0.7mm). Whoever steps up this year gains the inside tract on starting in 2022.

Of greater concern to me is back filling Callahan... looks good for 64, but he is 64.

Of course it'll help if we continue to (?) draft well.

I need to get back to the Hudson tapes...

4 hours ago, Orion said:

Hudson was the lone offensive lineman at Cleveland's recent rookie mini-camp, giving the Central Catholic product 1-on-1 instruction with offensive line coach Bill Callahan and assistant offensive line coach Scott Peters.

"They really taught me a lot in those three days," Hudson said. "I feel like I improved in those three days. I just need to keep working every day and improving every day."

Vice president of player personnel Glenn Cook said the Browns hoped Hudson would be available as the fourth round began.

"I think we went to bed last night hoping that he would be there at this spot," Cook told reporters May 1. "The kid is from right up the road and at his position, you never have enough big dudes that can move and fit into this scheme. Just a really good fit, a really good value for where we got him.

Hudson's flexibility stood out to Cleveland in the draft process.

"A couple of things that stick out are, No. 1, just extremely athletic," Cook told reporters. "His movements, his twitch, really his feet and just a combination of all of those things really blend well with our wide-zone scheme. Just the versatility he will bring, we will cross-train him [at guard] a little bit — obviously, work him in slowly — but his ability to play multiple positions was just another thing that we really liked."

I'm really excited about Hudson being picked. He needs work? Most rookies to get to the NFL need work.

For instance: the Chiefs right tackle, Mike Remmers, was an undrafted free agent.

the Raven's RT isAlejandro Villanueva, who also went undrafted.

Steelers LT was a third round pick, their RT was drafted in round 4....

Hudson moves really, really well. Kendall Lamm signed with the Titans, Hudson can step right in and be a valuable backup.

With his work ethic and smarts, and athleticism, he can develop into a starter eventually. Really great stuff.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I'm really excited about Hudson being picked. He needs work? Most rookies to get to the NFL need work.

For instance: the Chiefs right tackle, Mike Remmers, was an undrafted free agent.

the Raven's RT isAlejandro Villanueva, who also went undrafted.

Steelers LT was a third round pick, their RT was drafted in round 4....

Hudson moves really, really well. Kendall Lamm signed with the Titans, Hudson can step right in and be a valuable backup.

With his work ethic and smarts, and athleticism, he can develop into a starter eventually. Really great stuff.

I love the fact that he converted from DL to OL in college.  He’s learning the position and he performed well enough to be drafted while figuring out a new spot.  And your right the athleticism is apparent and Major upside ahead of him given the fact that he hasn’t played that much at his position. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/19/2021 at 10:09 PM, Dutch Oven said:

considering only Wills is a lock to be on the team in, say, two seasons. Tretter, Bitonio and Conklin are all veterans who make a ton of money

Harris performed pretty well in spot starting duty last season.. he might be able to replace Tretter for the 2022 season - or Teller if Teller isn't resigned.

5 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Harris performed pretty well in spot starting duty last season.. he might be able to replace Tretter for the 2022 season - or Teller if Teller isn't resigned.

WRONG , Harris played good in 1 game and then was manhandled the rest of the season 

On 5/21/2021 at 3:56 AM, 7moses7 said:

WRONG , Harris played good in 1 game and then was manhandled the rest of the season 

Yup... simply was not strong enough to succeed at OG... or Center for that matter.

Fortunately strength can be taught and now it's nearly a year later... we shall soon see what the lad has learned.