THE BROWNS BOARD

With the Picks In, Who is Leaving the Roster?

htownbrown

How many day 1, 2, 3 draft picks generally end up making the final roster ?  How many UFAS ?

And how many 2020 guys were thinking about retirement not many I'd guess.  Then the cuts and trades.  The downside of too many draft picks for not enough spots.

Good question.

59 minutes ago, htownbrown said:

but Greedy better stay healthy this off-season...

I get the feeling that he's still healing.  We have a somewhat fragile CB room.

Yeah, JoJo Natson is having a bad weekend.  I kinda' liked what little I saw out of him...but they drafted not one but two guys.  There's just no longer room for JoJo.

The other draft double dipper was LB'er.  There aren't enough chairs in that room anymore either.  It will be very interesting to see their plan(s) for this position.  The highly touted guy we drafted in round 2 that Dutch has dubbed 'Tim' supposedly demonstrated the traits that they envision for a LB'er.  And Tony Fields is no big lumbering LB'er either.   How many LB'ers will they play at a time?  How many will they keep?   -  I'd assume that Mack Wilson is not in the plans.

Who knows how good the guys will be, but it seems like Berry went at all of the positions that we all felt needed to be addressed.  I can't argue with that.  For now.  :)

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Orion said:

I get the feeling that he's still healing.  We have a somewhat fragile CB room.

Yeah, JoJo Natson is having a bad weekend.  I kinda' liked what little I saw out of him...but they drafted not one but two guys.  There's just no longer room for JoJo.

The other draft double dipper was LB'er.  There aren't enough chairs in that room anymore either.  It will be very interesting to see their plan(s) for this position.  The highly touted guy we drafted in round 2 that Dutch has dubbed 'Tim' supposedly demonstrated the traits that they envision for a LB'er.  And Tony Fields is no big lumbering LB'er either.   How many LB'ers will they play at a time?  How many will they keep?   -  I'd assume that Mack Wilson is not in the plans.

Who knows how good the guys will be, but it seems like Berry went at all of the positions that we all felt needed to be addressed.  I can't argue with that.  For now.  :)

I suspect that Mack Wilson IS in the plans.....at least the plan to allow him to compete for a roster spot.   I am not sure that  WILSON'S  plan to make that roster spot will work out however. 

Buried in that article I posted above was draft grades for each team. 

Cleveland was tied with four others for top grade "A" overall.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-draft-grades-2021-best-worst-classes/el9pxr18ar921xbe3wg675rw8

Pitt was #20 with "B+"

• Thanks 1

Call me biased but the only teams to have a good a draft as us in my opinion were the Jets and Panthers..... Panthers got marked down on that review Texas for not having a good start but having a good end ..... I thought the first 4 picks were terrific for them. Bears were 4th best as they needed a QB

9 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I suspect that Mack Wilson IS in the plans.....at least the plan to allow him to compete for a roster spot. 

I dunno.  I think we drafted 2 LB'ers because Mack Wilson is not the guy.   I'm not so sure that he makes it to training camp.

• Thanks 1

They make it to camp.  We carry 90 guys to start camp.  

This is probably the year where we  have LESS camp invites from an Undrafted Free Agent standpoint because we know what we have from a roster standpoint. We have very few positions up for grabs. 

But the ones that are up for grabs by all means Mack Wilson competes with the newbies for the final spots. 

We could have injuries too where players are stashed away in injury reserve. 

Lots of time to unpack it all 

8 minutes ago, Orion said:

I dunno.  I think we drafted 2 LB'ers because Mack Wilson is not the guy.   I'm not so sure that he makes it to training camp.

No harm in bringing him to camp. If he doesn't make it from there compared to the rest, then you cut him. If he looks better, then you drop one of them. Nothing to lose everything to gain. Plus he does now have a year experience with the Browns system. Ya never know how that can affect a player in his 2nd year unless you watch him first.

• Like 1

I'm not sure the contract they gave to Wilson guarantees he makes the roster. They spent big on UFA Green last year, and he ended up on the practice squad. It will be very interesting to see how they handle the LB room. I think Mac makes it before TakiTaki, but that's just my opinion. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Fields and JOK hang out in the safety room as well. Yes, they are not "true" safeties but because of their hybrid abilities, I'm guessing they will have some of those responsibilities as well. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Oh,  I think he is definitely in trouble,  but I think he still goes to camp,  and possibly is  terminated there at some point.    

31 minutes ago, Bigalow80 said:

I'm not sure the contract they gave to Wilson guarantees he makes the roster. They spent big on UFA Green last year, and he ended up on the practice squad. It will be very interesting to see how they handle the LB room. I think Mac makes it before TakiTaki, but that's just my opinion. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Fields and JOK hang out in the safety room as well. Yes, they are not "true" safeties but because of their hybrid abilities, I'm guessing they will have some of those responsibilities as well. 

I am hoping that works out.    Often, I think, these  "tweeners"  sometimes  can't cut the mustard.  JOK  seems an exception,  hopefully. 

1989 Keepers.  It seemed so easy back then

Defensive Starters          
LDE Al Baker 33 11 16 7.5 sacks, 0 interceptions, 0 fumbles recovered Detroit Lions / 2nd / 40th pick / 1978
LDT Carl Hairston 37 13 16 6.5 sacks, 0 interceptions, 0 fumbles recovered Philadelphia Eagles / 7th / 191st pick / 1976
RDT Michael Dean Perry*+ 24 1 16 7.0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 2 fumbles recovered Cleveland Browns / 2nd / 50th pick / 1988
RDE Robert Banks 26 1 15 4.0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 2 fumbles recovered Houston Oilers / 7th / 176th pick / 1987
LLB Clay Matthews* 33 11 16 4.0 sacks, 1 interception, 2 fumbles recovered Cleveland Browns / 1st / 12th pick / 1978
MLB Mike Johnson* 27 3 16 1.0 sacks, 3 interceptions, 0 fumbles recovered Cleveland Browns / 1st / 18th pick / 1984 Supp
RLB David Grayson 25 2 10 1.0 sacks, 2 interceptions, 2 fumbles recovered San Francisco 49ers / 8th / 217th pick / 1987
LCB Frank Minnifield* 29 5 16 0.0 sacks, 3 interceptions, 1 fumble recovered  
RCB Hanford Dixon 31 8 15 0.0 sacks, 1 interception, 0 fumbles recovered Cleveland Browns / 1st / 22nd pick / 1981
SS Felix Wright 30 4 16 0.0 sacks, 9 interceptions, 0 fumbles recovered  
FS Thane Gash 24 1 15 2.0 sacks, 3 interceptions, 1 fumble recovered

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

1989 Keepers.  It seemed so easy back then

Defensive Starters          
LDE Al Baker 33 11 16 7.5 sacks, 0 interceptions, 0 fumbles recovered Detroit Lions / 2nd / 40th pick / 1978
LDT Carl Hairston 37 13 16 6.5 sacks, 0 interceptions, 0 fumbles recovered Philadelphia Eagles / 7th / 191st pick / 1976
RDT Michael Dean Perry*+ 24 1 16 7.0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 2 fumbles recovered Cleveland Browns / 2nd / 50th pick / 1988
RDE Robert Banks 26 1 15 4.0 sacks, 0 interceptions, 2 fumbles recovered Houston Oilers / 7th / 176th pick / 1987
LLB Clay Matthews* 33 11 16 4.0 sacks, 1 interception, 2 fumbles recovered Cleveland Browns / 1st / 12th pick / 1978
MLB Mike Johnson* 27 3 16 1.0 sacks, 3 interceptions, 0 fumbles recovered Cleveland Browns / 1st / 18th pick / 1984 Supp
RLB David Grayson 25 2 10 1.0 sacks, 2 interceptions, 2 fumbles recovered San Francisco 49ers / 8th / 217th pick / 1987
LCB Frank Minnifield* 29 5 16 0.0 sacks, 3 interceptions, 1 fumble recovered  
RCB Hanford Dixon 31 8 15 0.0 sacks, 1 interception, 0 fumbles recovered Cleveland Browns / 1st / 22nd pick / 1981
SS Felix Wright 30 4 16 0.0 sacks, 9 interceptions, 0 fumbles recovered  
FS Thane Gash 24 1 15 2.0 sacks, 3 interceptions, 1 fumble recovered

Why?

7 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I can see Greedy Williams being a potential training camp casualty. 

I can see that too. 

I agree with most people here that Mack Wilson had an awful draft weekend if he wants to make the team...

But the other one I thought about was Higgins. I hope the plan is adding WR talent in the draft (#91 overall 2nd rounder Schwartz) so in the near future we make a WR room with whoever stays from the LSU duo (Landry, OBJ) as we won't be able to have them both, and some reliable WR2-3 (Higgins). 

It's ironic liking that much a WR3, but I think he adds a lot to the team in that roster spot. I think he definitely has a place in the 2021 roster but it's always a tricky game trying too keep him and the team happy. 

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Gosh, I hope not.  It'd be nice to get some use out of high draft picks.

4 hours ago, Nero said:

I agree with most people here that Mack Wilson had an awful draft weekend if he wants to make the team...

But the other one I thought about was Higgins.

Yup.  He always seems to be 'on the bubble'.

Here are the cuts I made from my roster as the picks came in:

Rd 1 Newsome CB > R. Jackson, CB

Rd 2 JOK LB > E. Lee, LB

Rd 3 Schwartz WR > J. Bradley, WR

Rd 4 Hudson OT > A. Taylor, OT

Rd 4 Tommy Toga, DT > S. Day, DT

Rd 5 Tony Fields, LB > M. Wilson, LB

Rd 5 LeCounte, S > J. Moffatt, S

Rd 6 Fenton RB/WR > Did not immediately add him to roster, could be a protected practice squader, but the guy to beat out is Jo Jo Natson for kick returner.

Zombo

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Here are the cuts I made from my roster as the picks came in:

Rd 1 Newsome CB > R. Jackson, CB

Rd 2 JOK LB > E. Lee, LB

Rd 3 Schwartz WR > J. Bradley, WR

Rd 4 Hudson OT > A. Taylor, OT

Rd 4 Tommy Toga, DT > S. Day, DT

Rd 5 Tony Fields, LB > M. Wilson, LB

Rd 5 LeCounte, S > J. Moffatt, S

Rd 6 Fenton RB/WR > Did not immediately add him to roster, could be a protected practice squader, but the guy to beat out is Jo Jo Natson for kick returner.

Zombo

I think our FA DT from Florida State will find the motivation to put all that talent to use. Someone has to go from somewhere on the team, but not necessarily at DT. Fisher did not just happen upon this kid in a cabbage patch when he was HC at FSU. He was a 5-star HS player who may have lost some motivation after Fisher left for College Station. But there is talent for sure.

26 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I think our FA DT from Florida State will find the motivation to put all that talent to use. Someone has to go from somewhere on the team, but not necessarily at DT. Fisher did not just happen upon this kid in a cabbage patch when he was HC at FSU. He was a 5-star HS player who may have lost some motivation after Fisher left for College Station. But there is talent for sure.

He'll have a chance to make his mark, he might be another guy we protect until next year ... I hope he brings it.

Zombo

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2021 at 7:26 AM, darren15 said:

Call me biased but the only teams to have a good a draft as us in my opinion were the Jets and Panthers..... Panthers got marked down on that review Texas for not having a good start but having a good end ..... I thought the first 4 picks were terrific for them. Bears were 4th best as they needed a QB

RE: Da Bears... They gave up a ton to get Fields, they had better be right. 

On 5/2/2021 at 10:03 AM, Dutch Oven said:

For Greedy,  it's either be healthy, or be gone. Nerve injuries take a long time to heal, but after a year, if he's not 100%- or damn close to it, time to cut bait. 

I'll take it with the Browns drafting a CB in the first round as a vote of no confidence in Greedy. Regardless of what Berry said.

• Thanks 1