THE BROWNS BOARD

The Draft: Round One

Tour2ma

41 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Looking at our shinny new CB, he has missed a lot of college football games due to injury and that stuff tends to follow you.

Hopefully he can shake that and be available week in and week out...  

Yes, more often than not injury history follows you to the NFL. But there are exceptions. The Bungles lone HOFer Anthony Munoz had injury concerns coming out of college but- well- he's in the HOF. 

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Yes, more often than not injury history follows you to the NFL. But there are exceptions. The Bungles lone HOFer Anthony Munoz had injury concerns coming out of college but- well- he's in the HOF. 

Well, between Ward, WIlliams and Newsome the Browns should be able to get 16 games out of two cornerbacks! 😉

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Vagitron said:

... this draft is very deep at offensive line.

Ummmmm.... no.

Thus Draft is a freakin' OL doughnut... quality at the top with developmental-value sprinkles at the bottom. The quality is going to be gathered up quickly thru R2.

This Draft's real depth lies at WR and IDL with a hint of it at LB and DB.

You got a good RB, but to spend a 1st on an RB given your history of ID-ing "overweight" RBs on Days 2 and 3 and then reshaping them into overachievers it puzzles me.

Is that magic now gone?

20 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Well, between Ward, WIlliams and Newsome the Browns should be able to get 16 games out of two cornerbacks! 😉

A/K/A.... 2 FTEs. That'll work... ;)

As Berry reported Newsome was fully cleared by our Med staff... so injury history was fully off the table. And he added that being a 20-yo his body is still developing.

There is no denying the talent.

8 hours ago, D Bone said:

Looking at our shinny new CB, he has missed a lot of college football games due to injury and that stuff tends to follow you.

Hopefully he can shake that and be available week in and week out...  

Looking into it he may not be as injury prone as it seems.  The first 8 games he was sat by coaches decision to try and redshirt him.  The next 3 were injury and due to the ankle.  Then the last three I'm pretty sure this past year were due to contact tracing covid protocols. Northwestern had a few players come down with it.  Then of course he was injured in the big ten championship game (groin). I remember watching that game and until he got hurt he had some really good coverage on both Chris olave and Garrett Wilson (both likely first round picks next year).

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Ummmmm.... no.

Thus Draft is a freakin' OL doughnut... quality at the top with developmental-value sprinkles at the bottom. The quality is going to be gathered up quickly thru R2.

This Draft's real depth lies at WR and IDL with a hint of it at LB and DB.

You got a good RB, but to spend a 1st on an RB given your history of ID-ing "overweight" RBs on Days 2 and 3 and then reshaping them into overachievers it puzzles me.

Is that magic now gone?

This draft is as deep at offensive line as its been in a while. I respectfully disagree on your assessment. I also don't agree with your assessment at running back. Connor would have been good if he could stay healthy. It was lev before him and deangelo Williams. The last running back to be molded into anything late in the draft was Willie Parker. (Undrafted and Def not overweight) Mendenhall was a first rounder at I believe 23. Issac Redman was okay but he was a journeyman at best. The team I think loves Harris as much for his off the field as they do on it. The guy drove ten hours to support his teammates at their pro day and he didn't even run.

9 hours ago, Vagitron said:

Total nonsense. AL was nowhere near our top run blocker. Dotson was and it wasn't close. Villanueva is thankfully gone (he sucks) and this draft is very deep at offensive line. Najee Harris is just what the doctor ordered especially with fraley off the board. Dickerson round 2 to the steelers. 👀

I agree that  Villanova was probably not the best run blocker.  Nevertheless,   Unsymp is right that  OL was more the priority.   And as we all know,  the trend these days is that you can get good RBs later in the draft.  So, not only were the Steeler priorities perhaps off,  I think they chose the wrong guy.   Etienne  is a young Kamara.  H

12 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Nice to see my good friend Hal Owen from Cleveland up on the stage last night ....the guy in the pumpkinhead .....

That was a very cool touch. How did he get the gig?

Round 1...not as they drew it up... huh?

All was going as planed in "the draft for need order of draft"... for all of about 5 picks... until the Bengals drafted Chase over a Lineman of any OL position.😎#95 smiled

The Cards stumped me when they chose Zaven Collins over taking a Corner..

I was also, a little surprised that Matt Jones fell right into Patriot Bill's lap right at pick #15...Now let's see what McDaniel's QB salt is worth?

I'd like to thank Mayock for the wtf moment 🤔 from the Raiders.(hows being a Vegas fan now Ghoolie?) The Gettleman Giants did well grabbing picks & a real need of a slot WR like Toney..

Yeah! I got the tavern "pounding the table" award for wanting to trade up 7 slots to Colts for Kwitty Paye (that non-reach ended quickly).. ( i ordered me some shots instead 🥃..

thought crept in, we may even get Farley? surprised again to see 2 RB's go back2back at Pitt & Jags..

From pick #16 Cards... all lead to  Newsome or JOK to tumble into our hands...at that very moment I knew I'd be happy either Way :).. The Leaders took Corner... 

Drafts are not built in one Day... Let's show how Cleveland Rocks... & Let's Go Browns ! !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Vagitron said:

This draft is as deep at offensive line as its been in a while. I respectfully disagree on your assessment. I also don't agree with your assessment at running back. Connor would have been good if he could stay healthy. It was lev before him and deangelo Williams. The last running back to be molded into anything late in the draft was Willie Parker. (Undrafted and Def not overweight) Mendenhall was a first rounder at I believe 23. Issac Redman was okay but he was a journeyman at best. The team I think loves Harris as much for his off the field as they do on it. The guy drove ten hours to support his teammates at their pro day and he didn't even run.

OL...

There are maybe 7 plug-n-play, IOL worth a R2 pick IF you are going to a pure power/gap attack... which given your pick of Harris may be the case. You likely see one... and I think you agree given your OT situation, that you need more than one OL.

Half the 6-ish OTs that are R2 worthy project better inside and only half of these are plug-n-play. This says you should go OT in the 2nd... and that means scraps inside in R3... or "sprinkles" later, e.g., Morrissey.

Your "deep class" is going to get very shallow before your 3rd-round pick rolls around, but there are a few, a very few, Day 3 sleepers who might play come game 1 of 2021, but not at an NFL level.

RB...

Connors is an example of my point on what historically you've done so well. A 3rd rounder who played around 240 at Pitt and 230 for you.

Bell is another... 2nd-rounder who played in the low-230s at MSU and low-220s for you.

Hadn't even thought of Williams, since he was not your pick, but he played in the 2-teens at Memphis and the low-200s for you. And while he was a former R1 pick, he was a reclamation project in PTG.

With all due respect... ;)

48 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Nice to see my good friend Hal Owen from Cleveland up on the stage last night ....the guy in the pumpkinhead .....

Coolest thing? Between your bud and our designated pick announcer we had the two fittest fans to take the stage. Whodathunk that of CLE? :D

Now about that choir that opened the festivities... sang like they were from the Cleveland School for the Deaf. They definitely could not hear themselves in the moment, but no doubt have since... much to their chagrin.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

OL...

There are maybe 7 plug-n-play, IOL worth a R2 pick IF you are going to a pure power/gap attack... which given your pick of Harris may be the case. You likely see one... and I think you agree given your OT situation, that you need more than one OL.

Half the 6-ish OTs that are R2 worthy project better inside and only half of these are plug-n-play. This says you should go OT in the 2nd... and that means scraps inside in R3... or "sprinkles" later, e.g., Morrissey.

Your "deep class" is going to get very shallow before your 3rd-round pick rolls around, but there are a few, a very few, Day 3 sleepers who might play come game 1 of 2021, but not at an NFL level.

solid post right here.. ^^I'd also agree... The browns have officially zoom met with Wisconsin-Whitewater C/OG Quinn Meinerz...Some say 4th? but not a surprise in the 2nd or 3rd with some teams need..It had to be entertaining as hell  :D ... a fit I could see in our OL room..

I had forgotten that we had signed Senat, Greg SF21 back to our roster as a depth tackle.. That i don't think Berry wanted to lose him to Dallas? cause he's back..

BYU's Brady Christensen was my thought? But his arm length screams Guard.. Bill Calahan.. I trust steering those wheels 

edit--sure we have higher today needs.. while the draft also builds on future replacements  

2 hours ago, TypicalBrowns50 said:

Tour2ma knows his oline stuff vag. 

Najee did look like a whiny crybaby punk little bitch so he will fit right into the culture Pitt is building

And that's fine. I think he's wrong. 🤷‍♂️ 

😂 @ your Harris comment. He's the exact opposite of that. 

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

OL...

RB...

Connors is an example of my point on what historically you've done so well. A 3rd rounder who played around 240 at Pitt and 230 for you.

Bell is another... 2nd-rounder who played in the low-230s at MSU and low-220s for you.

Hadn't even thought of Williams, since he was not your pick, but he played in the 2-teens at Memphis and the low-200s for you. And while he was a former R1 pick, he was a reclamation project in PTG.

With all due respect... ;)

I guess my point was there are starter quality guys that may make it to the 3rd round where as guys normally at that point are projects. Dotson is a prime example of a beast offensive lineman found late. 

As far as rb is concerned Connor still never became what he could have become because of injuries. I hope he can moving forward. Bell went at pick 48 and frankly changed the way teams looked at running backs IMO. I love Harris and while I would have loved to grab the guy in the second he obviously wasn’t making it that far. Tremendous wr, very good in pass pro, big frame with quick feet. It’s all Lev bell.

The difference is Harris has more juice and his character is on a different level. I don’t think I mentioned it here but if I did my bad. The dude drove ten hours to the Alabama pro day he wasn’t working out for to simply support his teammates. 

Yesterday I either wanted them to move up for a falling fields or draft Farley, Harris, Jenkins or Samuel Jr. and frankly as of now I’m not even sure they will draft a lineman in the second. I could see them drafting Pay Freiermuth out of Penn State. 

Connor - 3rd round and injury prone. Never found his full potential

lev - second round and best in the league for a while (deangelo Williams) 

mendenhall - first round pick 23 I believe

willie Parker - undrafted. 

I don’t agree with your rb assessment with the Steelers but I do agree there is plenty of value outside the first round at the position and you only draft one these days in the first if they are special. I think Harris has the potential to be special and I’d say the same for any team that drafted him.

10 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

Bell went at pick 48 and frankly changed the way teams looked at running backs IMO.

Pretty sure the Broncos had a hand in changing that view as well. ;)

Basically we are now agreeing... probably were earlier as well. My point in sighting a trimmed-down Connors was that he had success at all... something I did not see happening, but your FO did. Injuries can derail any RB's career.

Analytics tells us that since 2000 the lowest correlation there is between round drafted and NFL success lies with the IOL. I think a good deal of this is attributable to the growing use of the ZBS which has given smaller, mobile, collegiate OTs... and to a lesser extent IOLs... a home at the next level.

Problem is where I can usually ID 6 or 8 such prospects for Day 3, this year it's about 4.... about half ZBS suited and half strictly power... and none are ready to play now. 2022 or '23? Sure, but does you no good in 4 months...

Damn... the season approaches fast...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, darren15 said:

Not sure anyone caught my joke earlier about the pumpkin head guy on stage ... I got replies as tho people believed his name was HAL OWEN   

1 hour ago, JAFBF said:

FYI - didn't even know this going down (schedules all over lately).

You have been kinda scarce for a while.

On 4/30/2021 at 7:23 PM, Tour2ma said:

You have been kinda scarce for a while.

Only posted it as I stumbled upon while looking for something else (Lebron), thought folks here may want to see it.

Hell, I didn't even know the damn Draft was going on.

On 4/29/2021 at 11:18 PM, SdBacker80 said:

Day 1 Starter. 

I absolutely love it. Getting talent and depth at CB is never a bad idea in my book. Remember some of our games last year when it felt like if the opposition got the ball back there'd be NO WAY to stop them at the end? Dallas, Cincy, and the week 17 Steelers game all felt like we'd be in deep trouble if not for our offense salting it away. But with a stout secondary, I feel MUCH more confident.