THE BROWNS BOARD

Andrew Billings eager to 'find my place' on Browns D-line after opt-out season

Vambo

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/andrew-billings-eager-to-find-my-place-on-browns-d-line-after-opt-out-season

Billings returns to the Browns in 2021 after he opted out of the 2020 season due to the risks of the pandemic

Comment to appease Tiamat63 feelings:

Hopefully he will stay healthy and add a positive to the Browns this season.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Vambo said:

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/andrew-billings-eager-to-find-my-place-on-browns-d-line-after-opt-out-season

Billings returns to the Browns in 2021 after he opted out of the 2020 season due to the risks of the pandemic

"He kept his body in shape by going to the gym"

He may as well  have not opted out since we know gyms were major COVID spreaders. Pretty dumb. The precautions the Browns used were far more planned & adequate. Still not sure how MG got it. Anyone know?

54 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

He may as well  have not opted out since we know gyms were major COVID spreaders. Pretty dumb. The precautions the Browns used were far more planned & adequate. Still not sure how MG got it. Anyone know?

I highly doubt he was going down to his local Planet Fitness with the rest of the $10 a monthers... 😁

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Depending on the study you read Gyms are either the Petri dish of covid or they are harmless.

Having been to the gym 4-5 days a week over the past year.  Masked up.  It seemed harmless for me.  

I will tell you Super Spreaders are the large gatherings in enclosed areas.  Family parties, Weddings.   In a room with walls and roof 50/100/150 people... multiple hours...That got me.  Thankfully my symptoms weren’t bad.

5 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

His weekly thread with link and no additional comment.

None the less, he posted the news.  That is worth more than your comment.  Just saying

I am glad to finally hear something about Billings.  It sounds like he has been staying in shape.  I was worried he wouldn't...but we still need to see what kind of shape he is talking about.

It's also good to read he is eager to go.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You don't genuinely believe that a professional athlete is walking into a Planet Fitness, do you?  

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

None the less, he posted the news.  That is worth more than your comment.  Just saying

My left nut is worth more than everything combined that clown has posted on this entire board.  Yes, that includes the football side as well.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Depending on the study you read Gyms are either the Petri dish of covid or they are harmless.

Having been to the gym 4-5 days a week over the past year.  Masked up.  It seemed harmless for me.  

I will tell you Super Spreaders are the large gatherings in enclosed areas.  Family parties, Weddings.   In a room with walls and roof 50/100/150 people... multiple hours...That got me.  Thankfully my symptoms weren’t bad.

Yeah, couldn't have been the gym. LOL!😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

You don't genuinely believe that a professional athlete is walking into a Planet Fitness, do you?  

My left nut is worth more than everything combined that clown has posted on this entire board.  Yes, that includes the football side as well.  

My post has been better than anything you and your left nut posted in this thread...

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Haha.  

Well I quarantined prior to a wedding thinking that I’d make sure I was doing my part. I was in the wedding and the darn bride wouldn’t cancel the dang thing or just go in front of a judge.

so I was working from home, eating at home doing push-ups at home instead of the gym.  So I had it narrowed down pretty well to a super spreader wedding unless someone sneezed on my carry out. 

• Haha 1

He had a nice sabbatical.  I wonder if Mayock would have cut him had he been a Raider...

After seeing how well the NFL ran the COVID season (who'd have thunk it) I bet 95% of the opt outs wished they hadn't.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Well?

Not sure Myles "Breathless" Garrett would agree with that.

As for Billings finding his spot... pretty sure it's over Center give or take a gap.

• Haha 1

If anyone on this thread did any research at all on Billings' reasons for opting out, you'd find that he has asthma.. and consulted with his doctor about that decision.  It would have been nice if that fact was in the article linked initially, but the writer likely wasn't given the time to go back and add that context.

The reason Billings executed the opt-out was the high possibility [due to his asthma] of long-term effects that would prematurely end his career.  Once the vaccines became available, he's more than happy to play.

Sure, snap judgements are fun - but they're not relevant to Billings.  You might even say that snap judgements are almost always wrong, but nuance is so boring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

If anyone on this thread did any research at all on Billings' reasons for opting out, you'd find that he has asthma.. and consulted with his doctor about that decision.  It would have been nice if that fact was in the article linked initially, but the writer likely wasn't given the time to go back and add that context.

The reason Billings executed the opt-out was the high possibility [due to his asthma] of long-term effects that would prematurely end his career.  Once the vaccines became available, he's more than happy to play.

Sure, snap judgements are fun - but they're not relevant to Billings.  You might even say that snap judgements are almost always wrong, but nuance is so boring.

At the end of the day, in one year this disease killed more Americans than WWII, Vietnam and Korea combined.

I'm not going to fault anyone for taking care of themselves. 

I will point out one fun fact about US admissions [to an inpatient bed at an acute care hospital] with primary diagnosis of covid.

27.8% are overweight [BMI 25-30] and 50.2% are obese[BMI of 30+].  Diabetes [sugar] and hypertension [blood pressure] are the extreme mortality enhancement devices for this virus.. in the vast majority of cases, those are directly under our individual control.

What does this mean? Live a healthy lifestyle [don't be vitamin D deficient, eat right, find your running shoes] and you're 3/4 less [27%+50%] of a chance of getting a bad case.

This is, of course, always true.. it's just not generally accepted that in the US it's your body [and now, the pandemic] that prevents you from having the freedom to eat a diet consisting of Doritos, bacon, and Mountain Dew.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

I will point out one fun fact about US admissions [to an inpatient bed at an acute care hospital] with primary diagnosis of covid.

27.8% are overweight [BMI 25-30] and 50.2% are obese[BMI of 30+].  Diabetes [sugar] and hypertension [blood pressure] are the extreme mortality enhancement devices for this virus.. in the vast majority of cases, those are directly under our individual control.

What does this mean? Live a healthy lifestyle [don't be vitamin D deficient, eat right, find your running shoes] and you're 3/4 less [27%+50%] of a chance of getting a bad case.

This is, of course, always true.. it's just not generally accepted that in the US it's your body [and now, the pandemic] that prevents you from having the freedom to eat a diet consisting of Doritos, bacon, and Mountain Dew.

I'd be curious to what percentage of Americans according to the BMI would fall under the categories "overweight" and/or "obese"... 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'd be curious to what percentage of Americans according to the BMI would fall under the categories "overweight" and/or "obese"... 

Most. 

7 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

There is nothing more uplifting for a european with a bit of overweight like travelling to the US. Everyone that I know that have traveled there were surprised. 

Since I'm not into NFL productive comment mood, I'll only add two more comments. 

1. Reading Planet Fitness makes me think of Pizza Planet, in Toy Story. 

On 4/8/2021 at 9:57 PM, TexasAg1969 said:

2. I can relate. For me it's always the ice in the cocktails that gets me wasted on weddings... Never the 20 cocktails. 

On a serious note. I have allergic rhinitis and I usually have crisis the day after drinking alcohol, so it could be said that alcohol depressing the immune system can have a part in getting a virus. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I am (was)  20-25% "overweight".. According to BMI. 

That was in 2012. I was laser measured at 5'10 5/8 194lbs.   I had 9% body fat, and traps that made me look like Tom Hardy.

The PA who even did the consult before I saw the MD laughed and she said "now it seems silly, but I'm required to go over this with you".   Keep in mind my bloodwork, heart rate and BP was pretty much perfect.

BMI is a fucking horseshit metric at face value. 

However that doesn't excuse the fact a lot of Americans are fatasses.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

That was in 2012. I was laser measured at 5'10 5/8 194lbs.   I had 9% body fat, and traps that made me look like Tom Hardy.

The PA who even did the consult before I saw the MD laughed and she said "now it seems silly, but I'm required to go over this with you".   Keep in mind my bloodwork, heart rate and BP was pretty much perfect.

The BMI can be ridiculous.

I remember years ago being in a psych class and four rather round ladies complaining about the BMI. After class, they walked down to the elevator and took it down ONE floor.

That's about the most American thing I've ever seen. Only thing missing is them carrying AR-15s. 

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

LOL! I inherited very large muscular legs/butt which playing RB has maintained even into my 70's now. Greatest compliment I ever got about 2-3 years ago while playing in tight fitting sweats was from a much younger (30's) black woman, "You've got the best damn looking butt and legs for a white guy I've ever seen. And that's saying something coming from a black lesbian." 🤣😱

• Haha 4

BMI is a "first-order" model; it has caveats.  Chief one is weightlifting.. I'm in that category also.
Remember the aphorism : All models are wrong, but some are useful.
BMI as a concept is useful and does apply to the US population as a whole – because the vast majority of USians are not weightlifters.  This is an objective reality that “personal freedom” doesn’t affect.
Certainly a nonzero chance that genetics may keep BP/heart rate in the good range but that's much less common than guys who lift heavy.

28 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

LOL! I inherited very large muscular legs/butt which playing RB has maintained even into my 70's now. Greatest compliment I ever got about 2-3 years ago while playing in tight fitting sweats was from a much younger (30's) black woman, "You've got the best damn looking butt and legs for a white guy I've ever seen. And that's saying something coming from a black lesbian." 🤣😱

Well, thanks for planting that sweet mental image that will no doubt grow like a weed. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

BMI is a "first-order" model; it has caveats.  Chief one is weightlifting.. I'm in that category also.
Remember the aphorism : All models are wrong, but some are useful.
BMI as a concept is useful and does apply to the US population as a whole – because the vast majority of USians are not weightlifters.  This is an objective reality that “personal freedom” doesn’t affect.
Certainly a nonzero chance that genetics may keep BP/heart rate in the good range but that's much less common than guys who lift heavy.

This is true, I guess I've just grown to hate generalities without context.   Yes, the overwhelming majority of those out-of-scale per BMI are not fit by any stretch.

We did body fat analysis, urine analysis for hydration and BMI back in the day as a wrestler.  They still do.   The trick was passing hydration but not making your weight too high and recording enough body fat BMI to where you could go a lower weight class.  Most had lower fat percentages, barely passed hydration but had highish BMIs- all looked fit.  Wrestlers typically look fit.   I wouldn’t call anyone of us overweight or obese. 

We had guys not register much with body fat not BMI - in fact we used a hand held device during the year we had some guys register as “error” that were losing major weight. I had a cut from 155 to 127 my frosh year of college- at 127 the hand held read “error” I couldn’t make 125 so I had to go 133. I was cut but some dark circles and major cheek bones showing.  We still had a highish than you would expect BMI number.  We were putting on muscle mass lifting and losing water and fat and a a little muscle if the weight cut was too severe. These UFC guys that miss weight by 2/3/4 pounds - pathetic!! 

Back to opting outs and safety in this pandemic.  I think if you want to push masks, shields, vaccines - no problem and I agree some measures are helping or appear to help- take some personal responsibility and eat right and exercise so you aren’t at risk during pandemics. I’m arguing with my cousin now who does it all except take care of himself (eating right and exercising a little).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

Well, thanks for planting that sweet mental image that will no doubt grow like a weed. 

Well if I wasn't married and she wasn't lesbian I'd damn sure ask her out😰. MBA from Northwestern and CEO of her own company. Damn smart woman on top of being good looking.😁

5 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

take some personal responsibility and eat right and exercise so you aren’t at risk during pandemics. I’m arguing with my cousin now who does it all except take care of himself (eating right and exercising a little).

Amen