THE BROWNS BOARD

Sam Darnold traded to the Panthers

LondonBrown

Interesting for sure. I'm not a Darnold fan but I think he could be pretty good in Carolina. He escapes Adam Gase.

On a sidenote, the Bears are probably wondering why they couldn't pull off a deal like this. I'd take a young Darnold over an aging Dalton.

• Upvote 1

The Jets didn’t get enough IMO.

This isn’t a bad QB.

He’s still very young has promise  and if he plays decently well the next two seasons you get good QB play at a discount, which is a huge benefit these days when you are forming your roster. P

I'd guess Chicago for Bridgewater.. and watch Darnold become a borderline AllPro working with anyone not named Gase.  Perhaps he'll even stop seeing ghosts.

Dalton [Chicago's current starter] is Case Keenum with a new coat of paint.  They have the same career completion percentage [Dalton 62.2, Keenum 62.3] and rating [Dalton 87.5, Keenum 85.2].  However, the NCAAF career record holder for all of TD's, yards, and completions is Keenum.

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Camp Darnold and Camp Rosen have not aged well.

Z

Rosen totally flopped... He can't even get a starting gig...

4 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

The Jets didn’t get enough IMO.

This isn’t a bad QB.

He’s still very young has promise  and if he plays decently well the next two seasons you get good QB play at a discount, which is a huge benefit these days when you are forming your roster. P

The Jets took him #3 overall, and after three seasons told the world that in their eyes he's not worth keeping.

And they still got a 2nd, 4th and 6th rounder for him.

I think they did very well, considering. 

• Upvote 1

Browns drafted Colt McCoy in the 3rd round.. Sam Darnold in 1st & both played 3 seasons with their drafted teams.... Both got no help from coaching nor a gm that could surround them with any talent..   Good Luck, Sam 'Colt' Darnold...

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The Jets took him #3 overall, and after three seasons told the world that in their eyes he's not worth keeping.

And they still got a 2nd, 4th and 6th rounder for him.

I think they did very well, considering. 

So they got a Special Teams player in 2021.

And a starter and a JAG in 2022.

Time will tell for Darnold. He’s 23 and he has had poor coaching and suspect talent around him.  

3 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

So they got a Special Teams player in 2021.

And a starter and a JAG in 2022.

Time will tell for Darnold. He’s 23 and he has had poor coaching and suspect talent around him.  

Then how about the Browns just forfeit all their picks after the 2nd round, then? 

The Jets should be thanking their lucky stars someone would give a 2nd, 4th and 6th for a QB that has shown little. 

*Robbie Anderson/ Quincy Enunwa was solid, but mostly out 3 of 4 seasons..neck injury.. drafted Denzel Mims from Baylor in rd 2..  Hurt some, than sent to Adam Case's inactive doghouse   

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Then how about the Browns just forfeit all their picks after the 2nd round, then? 

The Jets should be thanking their lucky stars someone would give a 2nd, 4th and 6th for a QB that has shown little. 

No actually...we could use a younger JAG for depth and a special teams guy - we just lost Tavierre Thomas.

The Browns are no longer searching for a QB but if we were searching giving up a 6th round pick and a 2nd and 4th next year for a 23 year QB with potential that was given very little around him to succeed at this level.  Seems like a modest cost if you are searching for the most important position. 

7 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

That’s them out of the QB market in the draft

Are you sure?

No doubt they like at least one QB in this class not named Lawrence, but not the asking price to move up and insure they get him.

So instead they get Darnold on the cheap and should their guy fall to them at #8, then why not take him?

13 hours ago, Orion said:

So, the Jets will be taking another swing at QB.  Not for nothin', but, that's how you've gotta do it.  Swing until you hit it over the wall.

You probably only need a double to be in decent shape.  Sure, we all want the best QB in the league but QB's aren't like the best pitcher in baseball who can shut down other teams.  As long as you have a legit, good QB you are in a good place.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

You probably only need a double to be in decent shape

...and that probably explains our QB.  Ya just need a good one.  In my analogy, he doesn't have to be able to hit it out of the park.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Are you sure?

No doubt they like at least one QB in this class not named Lawrence, but not the asking price to move up and insure they get him.

So instead they get Darnold on the cheap and should their guy fall to them at #8, then why not take him?

How about protecting Darnold? it Worked for the Browns last year when we signed a tackle and drafted another in the first round. 

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Are you sure?

Well whoever falls to 8 will be the 5th best QB in the draft (you know what I mean) and I would be very surprised if they made this trade only to draft a guy at #8 when four QBs have already gone before him.

4 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

Well whoever falls to 8 will be the 5th best QB in the draft (you know what I mean) and I would be very surprised if they made this trade only to draft a guy at #8 when four QBs have already gone before him.

If it actually works that way, then sure, but...

• Aaron Rogers fell to 24...
  • Mahomes to 10th...

Just sayin'...

6 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

How about protecting Darnold? it Worked for the Browns last year when we signed a tackle and drafted another in the first round.

How much help do they need? CAR's PassPro is already a vast improvement over NYJ... and not far behind ours.

• Jets gave up 160 pressures in 2020. That was 27.9% of their dropbacks.
  • We gave up 106... 19.2%.
  • CAR? 124... 19.9%

The LT penciled in as 2021 starter, Greg Little, gave up 0. Problem with him tho is small sample size (130 snaps) due to being on IR the 2nd-half of the season after missing starts in the 1st-half.

Add that we already knew we had our QB didn't we? So the question is... Do the Panthers? Maybe, but the price they had to pay says they are essentially alone if that is their take.

At #8 CAR may have their pick of the 2021 OT litter, Sewell. But he could (and is often mocked to) go before #8 and if he is gone, then the next best OT options are good, but not necessarily Top Ten good.

I think the other options they'll look at for #8 are WR and Pitts... who I've already said I think will find his way to WR in the NFL.

One thing Darnold already has going for him with CAR is he'll have a run game to take some pressure off of him. Not to mention one of the best receiving backs among NFL starters.

• Upvote 1

I'm pulling for Darnold to come out of this ok.  Seems like an ok guy/player/team mate.

For the Jets, their new coach gets a hand in selecting his new QB.  They're picking 2nd.  Makes some sense to just reboot the QB position I guess.

• Upvote 1

Pitts fits any team...especially the Panthers.  If it’s not line I’d go Pitts if he’s there at 8. 

I will remove myself from fantasyland and give into the fact that the Browns aren’t pulling off a Julio Jones type deal to go up and get him - reluctantly.

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Pitts fits any team...especially the Panthers.  If it’s not line I’d go Pitts if he’s there at 8. 

I will remove myself from fantasyland and give into the fact that the Browns aren’t pulling off a Julio Jones type deal to go up and get him - reluctantly.

That's o.k. Next year they can go for that other great SEC TE, Jalen Wydermeyer. And he blocks too.😁

On 4/5/2021 at 7:39 PM, Zombo said:

Camp Darnold and Camp Rosen have not aged well.

Z

And I thought Darnold would be OK.  Wasn't sold on Rosen.  

6 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

At #8 CAR may have their pick of the 2021 OT litter, Sewell. But he could (and is often mocked to) go before #8 and if he is gone, then the next best OT options are good, but not necessarily Top Ten good.

No they (Carolina) won't. The word from Bungle Land- (and I'll be shocked if they don't) take Sewell with their first pick ahead of the Jags. The salad days of Anthony Munoz are an eon ago. Look for them to buy an insurance policy that Super Joe isn't a piñata this year.  

28 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

That's o.k. Next year they can go for that other great SEC TE, Jalen Wydermeyer. And he blocks too.😁

Pretty sure I can guess who he plays for...

3 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Panthers are average at OL - rank 18. Moton above 80, Little below replacement level, Paradis decent, Elflein below replacement level, Daley surprisingly decent.

They need better OL play - I'd quickly go OL in the first 

"Average" is a helluva improvement over the Jets.

PFF's Team OL ranking is probably the worst analysis they do... as they do no analysis of the group. They simply sum the parts.