THE BROWNS BOARD

True Confessions

The Gipper

find it amazing sometimes  when I hear people say  "I have never done this.  or been there, or had that happen to me".   So, here are some commonplace things  that I have heard some people say they have never done.   Give us your true confession about these things  (or, add something else which may have been missed).   These are things others have said they have never done. 

1.  Never  seen snow.

2. Never seen the ocean

3.  Never  been to New York City

4. Never been on a cruise

5. Never stayed at Motel 6

6. Never been to a Disney Park

7. Never stayed in a timeshare

8. Never broke a bone

9. Never eaten at McDonalds

10. Never been to an Ikea store

11. Never could ride a bike

12. Never been to a football  game .

13. Never  ordered from Amazon

14. Never bought a lottery ticket

15.  Never saw a Star Wars movie

16. Never saw Game of Thrones

17.  Never stung by a bee

18. Never  "ate"  chewing gum

19. Never been in a Walmart

20. Never ordered a drink at a bar

21. Never drank coffee

By the way,  they made a movie  named True Confessions,  starring among others  Robert Deniro, Robert Duvall, Charles Durning.  Here is a photo from that movie.  Notice there is a 4th guy you can see clearly in this shot:   the balding guy in the background  who was an extra in this film.   He is one of my best friends and  graduated from high school with me and Westside Steve:

Charles Durning Robert De Niro Robert Duvall True Confessions Press Movie  Photo

My own True Confessions:

I have never been on a cruise..   .but have scheduled one.

I have never broken a bone in my life (age 69).   (but did tear up knee ligaments)

I have never been to an Ikea store. 

I have never ordered anything from Amazon. (unless you include Amazon Prime streaming service...and even there, I didn't order it, my son did and he let's us use the service) 

I could really tell the touch of gip here.

1.  Never  seen snow. X MEANS I HAVE SEEN OR DONE IT.

2. Never seen the ocean X

3.  Never  been to New York City I've never been to NYC.

4. Never been on a cruise X

5. Never stayed at Motel 6 X

6. Never been to a Disney Park X

7. Never stayed in a timeshare NEVER.

8. Never broke a bone.  TWO.

9. Never eaten at McDonalds X USED TO EAT THEIR FISH SANDWICHES.

10. Never been to an Ikea store NEVER.

11. Never could ride a bike I WAS A GREAT RIDER,  PETAL AND MOTORCYCLE

12. Never been to a football  game .  MANY, MANY.

13. Never  ordered from Amazon  SINCE 2003

14. Never bought a lottery ticket  MANY.

15.  Never saw a Star Wars movie PROBABLY ALL.

16. Never saw Game of Thrones NEVER SAW EVEN ONE EPISODE.

17.  Never stung by a bee  SEVERAL.

18. Never  "ate"  chewing gum  PROBABLY.

19. Never been in a Walmart. HUH? YES.

20. Never ordered a drink at a bar MANY.

21. Never drank coffee. EXTRA CREAM NO SUGAR.

Only one I have not done and never care to do is see Game of Thrones. I'd rather waste my time on another cruise, preferably to the southern Caribbean.

22. Add another-been on a trans-Atlantic ship relocation cruise from Galveston to 3 Spanish ports with the final stop in Barcelona for several days. Then drove to Paris for another week stay.

23. Yep, actually sampled the goods at the Best Little Whorehouse in La Grange while a lonely single student at womanless (at that time) Texas A&M. ZZ Top got it right. 😛💃

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Only one I have not done and never care to do is see Game of Thrones. I'd rather waste my time on another cruise, preferably to the southern Caribbean.

You have  failed then to see the greatest effort ever made in the history of television.    (not my opinion:  that of a consensus or professional critics). 

• 2 months later...
On 3/29/2021 at 9:42 AM, The Gipper said:

find it amazing sometimes  when I hear people say  "I have never done this.  or been there, or had that happen to me".   So, here are some commonplace things  that I have heard some people say they have never done.   Give us your true confession about these things  (or, add something else which may have been missed).   These are things others have said they have never done. 

1.  Never  seen snow.

2. Never seen the ocean

3.  Never  been to New York City

4. Never been on a cruise

5. Never stayed at Motel 6

6. Never been to a Disney Park

7. Never stayed in a timeshare

8. Never broke a bone

9. Never eaten at McDonalds

10. Never been to an Ikea store

11. Never could ride a bike

12. Never been to a football  game .

13. Never  ordered from Amazon

14. Never bought a lottery ticket

15.  Never saw a Star Wars movie

16. Never saw Game of Thrones

17.  Never stung by a bee

18. Never  "ate"  chewing gum

19. Never been in a Walmart

20. Never ordered a drink at a bar

21. Never drank coffee

15 / 16 - How seen the Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter series of movies ?

Could add quite a few others to this.

4. - Boating yes, Cruise - just never saw the allure of it. More of a young Singles thing in my view.

5. - Chicago area (don't remember exact suburb) has/had an amazing Motel 6 back in the 80's / 90's.

6. Nope, never had the desire to stand in line for hours upon hours for a ride.

7. No. Just no.

10. Don't think I've ever lived anywhere where they were a thing, and I've lived in a lot of places.

12. Only Pro game I ever attended was a Browns Pre Season way back with Kosar and Metcalf on the Team.

Haven't lived in the area for the opportunity to arise in decades.

20. Oddly, the only time I did, I was denied as the OH State put the sticker info on the outside of the Driver's License, so the Bar said it was fake and denied me.

I was 23 / 24 at the time, so WTF.

# Never been Hunting / Fishing ?

# Never been Hiking / Caving / Spelunking / Prospecting / Tubing ?

# Never fired a Gun / Target practice.

Could add more, but a good general start.

• Like 1

4. Never been on a cruise. Nor will I ever. Too many people crammed onto a boat for way too long

7. Never stayed at a time share. Why would anyone?

16. Never seen Game of Thrown’s. Don’t have that channel

1 hour ago, Browns149 said:

4. Never been on a cruise. Nor will I ever. Too many people crammed onto a boat for way too long

7. Never stayed at a time share. Why would anyone?

This is a case of you having no clue.  You don't know what you don't know

16. Never seen Game of Thrown’s. Don’t have that channel

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I know 2 people who got ripped off on a timeshare. That’s good enough for me to stay away 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Browns149 said:

I know 2 people who got ripped off on a timeshare. That’s good enough for me to stay away 

They may not have gotten ripped off at all.   They too were probably stupid and had no fucking clue what they were doing with their timeshare.    And you know how human nature is:   when you fuck up....you look for someone else to blame for your fuckup. 

I have been making successful use of my timeshare for like 26 years running now.   It is true that it is not just as simplistic as booking a hotel room. A certain amount of strategy is necessary to get proper use out of it.  They probably simply "failed to read the instructions".   It is as basic as that. 

On 6/1/2021 at 3:01 PM, The Gipper said:

They may not have gotten ripped off at all.   They too were probably stupid and had no fucking clue what they were doing with their timeshare.    And you know how human nature is:   when you fuck up....you look for someone else to blame for your fuckup. 

I have been making successful use of my timeshare for like 26 years running now.   It is true that it is not just as simplistic as booking a hotel room. A certain amount of strategy is necessary to get proper use out of it.  They probably simply "failed to read the instructions".   It is as basic as that. 

Well the guy that ripped them off is in jail on numerous frauds and real estate swindles. I believe the individual was even featured on an episode of the TV show American Greed

So, as I said before, I’ll stay away from garbage like that

24 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

Well the guy that ripped them off is in jail on numerous frauds and real estate swindles. I believe the individual was even featured on an episode of the TV show American Greed

So, as I said before, I’ll stay away from garbage like that

Do you have a name?   Most timeshares are  owned and operated not by "a guy"  but  by major companies with good reputations:   Marriott,  Hilton, Holiday Inn,  Westin, Sheraton, Diamond Resorts (mine, which is about to merge with Hilton), Westgate, Disney, BlueGreen, Hyatt,  Wyndham, WorldMark.    A few others.  You know, garbage like that.  

So, I guess your friend decided to go with a fly by night operation...and you see what happens.   It could happen in any industry if you are being negligent.  If you go with Guido the Roofer you could get ripped off.    Like I said, you just have to not be stupid.  

I don’t have a name. Nor do I care.  The “GUY” cost many people millions of dollars

You might love your timeshare, and it might be the greatest thing since sliced bread, bit there are people that have been SCREWED on such deals

And for TRUE CONFESSIONS, more people have horror stories about timeshares then are happy with their investment. IMO

8 hours ago, Browns149 said:

I don’t have a name. Nor do I care.  The “GUY” cost many people millions of dollars

You might love your timeshare, and it might be the greatest thing since sliced bread, bit there are people that have been SCREWED on such deals

And for TRUE CONFESSIONS, more people have horror stories about timeshares then are happy with their investment. IMO

So, you don't have a name or a reference or a link....but you think you know all about it?  Well, it is not true that more people have horror stories than are happy.  I can attest to that.  And you know me better than any of those other people you refer to.    What you have are testaments to how stupid and ignorant those people are in how to properly utilize their investment.  The analogy that comes to mind is that  someone buys a plane who has not had a single flying lesson,  and they complain about the person that sold them the plane because they didn't know how to  get the damn thing to work. 

As far as time shares my ex wife and I attended a seminar actually a sales pitch decades ago. We crunched the numbers and it turned out that in my opinion, our opinion, it was ridiculously restrictive and expensive. That being said in defence of the Gipper anything that you purchase that brings you happiness is worth the money  regardless of anybody else's opinion.

WSS

10 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

As far as time shares my ex wife and I attended a seminar actually a sales pitch decades ago. We crunched the numbers and it turned out that in my opinion, our opinion, it was ridiculously restrictive and expensive. That being said in defence of the Gipper anything that you purchase that brings you happiness is worth the money  regardless of anybody else's opinion.

WSS

A  timeshare stay, yes, will cost you more likely than getting a hotel for a week at  Super 8 or Days Inn,  but staying at a Hampton or even Holiday Inn Express would actually cost you more.  Also....when I go I often get a1- 2 Bedroom condo unit with a kitchen. So that is clearly a better deal.   I have done my travel  all different ways you can imagine,   from tent camping (no longer),  to  upscale hotels to timeshare  to  AirBnB (NYC). 

I just came back from a 10 day trip to Nebraska/S. Dakota where I stayed in a different  hotel/motel every night (Super 8s, Days Inns).  I am going to Chicago in July staying 3 nights in a fairly upscale hotel  (Hilton Doubletree), and then I am going to be spending a week in a timeshare in Wisconsin.   It all depends on the nature of your travel.  I have other timeshare exchange trips booked in timeshares in the future in the Connecticut coast (September), and beachside in Biloxi in April.   Through my timeshare connection I was able to get a studio unit in the heart of San Francisco  for $339.00 for a  bonus week  7 night stay at a place called the Club Donatello.   Normally it would cost you that amount for each night.

11 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

My youngest brother was a pilot for a private airplane business flying customers all over the world. He would more often than not leave the plane in some locations for the next crew and then fly home on regular airlines as a passenger at company expense. But his company allowed them to keep any airline miles they earned, which was quite significant. So buying one time share on Kauai and another on Oahu made a lot of sense so they could go two weeks to the Hawaiian Isles yearly on vacation on their free airline miles. He had enough accumulated that they continued to do so well past his retirement date. So for them it made sense, but when I checked it out it did not since they can up those extraneous fees any time they want for whatever amount they want. I decided it was better to save that initial cost and just use it to go anywhere I wanted any time I wanted and not risk higher annual fees stacked on top of initial costs.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

My youngest brother was a pilot for a private airplane business flying customers all over the world. He would more often than not leave the plane in some locations for the next crew and then fly home on regular airlines as a passenger at company expense. But his company allowed them to keep any airline miles they earned, which was quite significant. So buying one time share on Kauai and another on Oahu made a lot of sense so they could go two weeks to the Hawaiian Isles yearly on vacation on their free airline miles. He had enough accumulated that they continued to do so well past his retirement date. So for them it made sense, but when I checked it out it did not since they can up those extraneous fees any time they want for whatever amount they want. I decided it was better to save that initial cost and just use it to go anywhere I wanted any time I wanted and not risk higher annual fees stacked on top of initial costs.

In case you haven't noticed,  I haven't had any problems getting around.   A key to traveling, in my opinion,  is to make a bucket list of where I want to go.  I have had different lists throughout the years.  My last one I had had about  40 destinations on it, and I have whittled that down to like 19. (but I had other versions of the bucket list before that one)   And I certainly have not been hampered by using my timeshare resources for a number of those trips.  I have stayed in or have booked in the future a TS in  41 different states, which may in fact be a national record, and is why I have twice been featured in an international travel magazine, though I have not done that much international travel  I have concentrated on the US of A.  (5 states have no timeshare resorts...including Ohio).  And having been to  386 of the 423 National Park Units, you can see that I have figured out how to get around,  using Timeshare or not.  I guess what I am saying is that because of my knowledge of strategies, which does not take that much to learn,  I think I have done well monetarily compared to other alternatives.  (Not that you cannot get good deals withe VRBO,  AirBnB etc. 

10 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

My youngest brother was a pilot for a private airplane business flying customers 

Hey I guess it could make sense to somebody that needs to stay somewhere frequently in a specific location if it's cheaper and more convenient than a hotel. I don't guess that's the main use of time shares though. For us it was just a matter of crunching the numbers and finding out it be a lot cheaper to stay in a motel. 

WSS