Sign in to follow this  
Westside Steve

Chicken and waffles

4 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Long standing Southern delicacy or made up hipster bullshit?

WSS

It's a thing in NC.... but I'd never try it... 

Image of Dame's Chicken and Waffles

Here's a whole Variety menu of them, from our local Business.. https://dameschickenwaffles.com/menu/#visual  

I'm a simple hipster 🤓... And enjoy Biscuit & gravy or Chicken & Pastry...😋 (though i may spread some peanut butter on waffles before adding syrup) 

• Upvote 1

Long standing?  Yes,  if something that began in the 30s is considered long standing.

But...Southern?  Apparently not.    It apparently started in Harlem:

But who first put chicken on a waffle? It’s hard to say. The one thing we know for sure is that this “Southern” favorite, didn’t actually start in the South.

By most accounts, the rib-sticking, crave-inducing, version of the dish we know and love today first appeared on the menu of the Wells Supper Club in Harlem in 1938. That’s right—it started in New York. The supper club was a popular late night stop for jazz musicians after their gigs. Too late to eat dinner but too early to eat breakfast, fried chicken on a waffle seemed like a good compromise to the hungry musicians. The dish was popular with Wells’ famous guests, like Sammy Davis, Jr., Nat King Cole and Gladys Knight, and also the non-famous guests—like Harlem native Herb Hudson. In 1976, Hudson took to the dish west and made it the central focus of his Los Angeles restaurant, Roscoe’s House of Chicken and Waffles. Roscoe’s quickly became a popular stop for LA’s glitterati, and the dish was soon popping up on the menus of soul food restaurants across the country, and it especially took hold in the South.

I wasnt impressed

Done right? Absolutely fucking outstanding!!

Not done so right?  Meh...