THE BROWNS BOARD

Chicken and waffles

Westside Steve

4 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Long standing Southern delicacy or made up hipster bullshit?

WSS

It's a thing in NC.... but I'd never try it... 

Image of Dame's Chicken and Waffles

Here's a whole Variety menu of them, from our local Business.. https://dameschickenwaffles.com/menu/#visual  

I'm a simple hipster 🤓... And enjoy Biscuit & gravy or Chicken & Pastry...😋 (though i may spread some peanut butter on waffles before adding syrup) 

• Upvote 1

Long standing?  Yes,  if something that began in the 30s is considered long standing.

But...Southern?  Apparently not.    It apparently started in Harlem:

But who first put chicken on a waffle? It’s hard to say. The one thing we know for sure is that this “Southern” favorite, didn’t actually start in the South.

By most accounts, the rib-sticking, crave-inducing, version of the dish we know and love today first appeared on the menu of the Wells Supper Club in Harlem in 1938. That’s right—it started in New York. The supper club was a popular late night stop for jazz musicians after their gigs. Too late to eat dinner but too early to eat breakfast, fried chicken on a waffle seemed like a good compromise to the hungry musicians. The dish was popular with Wells’ famous guests, like Sammy Davis, Jr., Nat King Cole and Gladys Knight, and also the non-famous guests—like Harlem native Herb Hudson. In 1976, Hudson took to the dish west and made it the central focus of his Los Angeles restaurant, Roscoe’s House of Chicken and Waffles. Roscoe’s quickly became a popular stop for LA’s glitterati, and the dish was soon popping up on the menus of soul food restaurants across the country, and it especially took hold in the South.

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2021 at 6:32 PM, The Gipper said:

Long standing?  Yes,  if something that began in the 30s is considered long standing.

But...Southern?  Apparently not.    It apparently started in Harlem:

But who first put chicken on a waffle? It’s hard to say. The one thing we know for sure is that this “Southern” favorite, didn’t actually start in the South.

By most accounts, the rib-sticking, crave-inducing, version of the dish we know and love today first appeared on the menu of the Wells Supper Club in Harlem in 1938. That’s right—it started in New York. The supper club was a popular late night stop for jazz musicians after their gigs. Too late to eat dinner but too early to eat breakfast, fried chicken on a waffle seemed like a good compromise to the hungry musicians. The dish was popular with Wells’ famous guests, like Sammy Davis, Jr., Nat King Cole and Gladys Knight, and also the non-famous guests—like Harlem native Herb Hudson. In 1976, Hudson took to the dish west and made it the central focus of his Los Angeles restaurant, Roscoe’s House of Chicken and Waffles. Roscoe’s quickly became a popular stop for LA’s glitterati, and the dish was soon popping up on the menus of soul food restaurants across the country, and it especially took hold in the South.

Could be....but it could be the other way.  I don't think Chicken and waffles was something really served except outside the house in the South in the beginning..  I think it very possible it came to NYC from black people who moved up there for work.

I never ate it growing up.  I lived in Cleveland, but my mother was from Alabama and the largest portion of my family are spread through Alabama and Louisiana and it was never a family meal at home unlike other traditional southern foods such a grits and various greens other than spinach with a ham hock..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

Could be....but it could be the other way.  I don't think Chicken and waffles was something really served except outside the house in the South in the beginning..  I think it very possible it came to NYC from black people who moved up there for work.

I never ate it growing up.  I lived in Cleveland, but my mother was from Alabama and the largest portion of my family are spread through Alabama and Louisiana and it was never a family meal at home unlike other traditional southern foods such a grits and various greens other than spinach with a ham hock..

My Dad was from the South....Bowling Green Kentucky,  and my Mom was from the South.....of both England and Ireland.  (Born in Cobh on Ireland's south coast;  grew up in Kent on England's south coast).   Neither  introduced us to Chicken and Waffles,  though my Dad did insist on certain kind of southern style food.  

LIke Red eye gravy, which was pretty good stuff.     And my Mom did have her tea....which I usually still drink in the mornings if I am home (though if I go out for breakfast it is coffee) 

On 5/1/2021 at 10:27 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

Chicken and grits or chicken and biscuits maybe, but chicken and waffles in the south? Well not this part anyway.

Not my favorite at all !     I'll take the waffles or better yet pancakes with plenty of butter and syrup and NO chicken........ thank you !