THE BROWNS BOARD

2021 Browns Depth Chart

Zombo

5 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Sleep tightly under that blanket of medicare freedom I provide.

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but my measly little SS check is pretty much eaten up by Medicare payments. By the time you retire you'll be paying all your SS retirement plus some more just to stay above ground.👻

4 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but my measly little SS check is pretty much eaten up by Medicare payments. By the time you retire you'll be paying all your SS retirement plus some more just to stay above ground.👻

Bless ya, buddy.  It ain't easy out there.

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Yes and it's not getting any easier for our younger working generations out there.

Pensions are pretty much extinct you're basically on your own plus whatever SS checks you get...... which will barely if at all cover your fixed costs in retirement.

And those monster student loan paybacks, whew.   When I started at YSU in 1968 full time electrical engineering was $150/quarter plus a $5/quarter parking card.   That's under $2,000 for a full time degree.  I'm amazed how much kids now pay for just tuition and books.....whoa.

Good luck to everyone today !    Finance 2021.

• Thanks 1

🏝️

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Oh, I put lots of IRA type stuff away for 30 years, so I'm fine. Plus a service connected disability which is tax free. I just gotta outlive wifey so she doesn't suddenly lose that part. But then I've always told her that when one of us kicks the bucket, I'm finally moving to the Caribbean. I don't understand why she never thinks that's funny.🤣🏝️

• Haha 1

Issue was chemistry, specifically Baker's understanding of what receivers would do in situations.. AKA precisely normal stuff for preseason.

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

re-affirms that OBJ wasn't the issue 

OBJ actually got himself open on nearly every play.. if Baker had in fact been locked on OBJ [and been willing to throw, and make the same read/adjust to coverage that the player does to lead the player appropriately w ball] Baker's numbers would have been a lot better.

Kollmann re-watched every 2020 OBJ snap..

1 what is play intended to have player do 2 what does player see during play 3 what is Browns expected adjustment 4 what does player do 5 what did Baker see 6 what did Baker do 7 given all that, could OBJ have had a catch if Baker threw correctly?

1 minute ago, Unsympathetic said:

Issue was chemistry, specifically Baker's understanding of what receivers would do in situations..

OBJ was actually open on nearly every play.. if Baker had in fact been locked on OBJ, Baker's numbers would have been a lot better

Already working on a lengthy rebuttal in another tab.  Check back later.     Baker is locked in, but it's not where he should be.   I'm not going to chalk it all up to "chemistry" and not understanding of what his receivers would do against certain looks.  I think that's being a bit too general and dismissive.  A couple plays, most notably the 2 I'm working on breaking down, are examples of when Baker does right and maximizes the yardage gained by the play design VS other times he takes a "safer" throw that ignores a fairly high(er) percentage home run to his best weapon.  A throw which would just put more on film for D-cords later in the season, or at minimum - in game.

7 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

This could be 2 different paths to arrive at the same destination of.. Both player&QB need time with a new offense/play designs and with each other to understand how a teammate is going to react to situations.

I feel like people who have never played team sports totally minimize/aren't interested in contemplating the importance of adjusting to teammate strengths&weaknesses

Re: 1st bold.   Yes and no.  I get where Brett is going with his assessment and God knows, there is plenty I agree with on his way there.  It's not bad math.  I.E. doing wrong work and still getting the right answer.   Quite the opposite, it's damn fine work with a pretty solid answer.   I think it's more of a 60/40, Bakers way. Maybe I shouldn't even toss out ratio, in all honesty.  I believe our QB needs a bit more work than our receivers (specifically Odell) and part of me suspects it's because Baker needs to improve his deep ball. Not just in terms of timing and placement, but the pre-snap and post snap reads that allow you to hit on this big time throws.   

Re: 2nd bold.  I agree whole-heartedly. 

18 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Kollmann's 15-minute analysis of Baker/OBJ is must-see material

So, watched the video and I really appreciate the work.  But there's a couple things I wanted to touch on that Brett A - wasn't really the narrative of the video, which is beyond fine.  B - didn't want to assign "blame".   Not that there's blame to assign, but I'm simply highlighting a couple things that Bakers hopeful maturation will allow this offense (specifically OBJ) to be unleashed.   This post isn't targeted directly at you, Symp.  Just in general anybody who might be interested enough in reading my thoughts.   I'm going to do this in order of how the plays were show in his clippings.   Apologies for the long winded post, maybe I'll make another thread and just dedicate random football observations of my own to it.  

1st. - Pardon the VERY rough MS paint work and the color schemes.  I suck at this, don't have the good software to make it look pretty.  If I had the time and money to invest, I'd  dedicate myself to a channel if I felt I could make a living doing it.   

Colts in their 44 package and their cover 3 look.    Middle Field closed and deep 1/3, corners in deep 3rd.  Underneath in corresponding coverage.  This is a throw with your formation strength to the field.  

237349328_colts44cover3.thumb.png.ee4d7a4b1fd5db36bccbe2e1930c86d0.png

2nd - This is the Colts staying in that pretty straight forward and vanilla Cover 3. On these early downs they're playing run, we're in 11 personnel.  So why not?

856521915_colts44cover2pt2.thumb.jpg.233003ce1b35dc18fa9a534f2b5e570e.jpg

If the lettering and color is too small/hard to read, I'll break it down here.   Corners still in deep 1/3, Middle Field (still) closed.  Underneath still in their hook and curl/flat zones.     Action freezes the backers and Middle 1/3 for a moment, corners are staying over top playing vertical, Baker is reading that curl/flat depth and anticipates the voided zone. The #2 (Higgy?) on the 7 (where the ball goes) reads the zone correctly and plays depth correctly.   This play isn't an issue, it's a good read, a good throw, utilizes as much of the field space as possible with a simple flood concept off early down ball action.   Putting the ball to OBJ here WOULD HAVE* been the mistake.   He's doing exactly what he needs to do when the ball isn't going his way though - drawing 2 pairs of eyes. 

I'll continue the next in a post immediately after this one.  Board isn't isn't letting me finish my pic uploads.

Part 2...  where I speak of Baker needing to work on his pre-snap and post-snap setup in a way that allows him and OBJ to thrive.   And to thrive most especially as a deep threat, which in turn will help to further open of the awesome potential of this offense.

Vs the Cowboys - Part 1.

Instead of being under center single back with a reduced split from you X (like how I showed against the Colts)  The browns are in the gun with a 2x2 set, HB to the left sets the formation strength to the boundary (short side of the field)   This is again, a classic little flood concept except it's a different formation and one other big thing - running the play to the short side.    When you put your passing strength to the boundary along with having wider splits to the field it accomplishes one usually really big goal - helps more clearly identify the coverage you're facing and gives fewer defensive bodies to the field (wide) side.  

The cowboys, because of the personnel we come out in, are playing their nickel.  Instead of cover 3, Mike nolan dials up a cover 6 variation.  Boundary CB is in his quarter, boundary safety is in his quarter and the field side DB's can invert their coverage as adjusted by coach or on the field.  You can have the corner play squat or you can have the field safety play the under role.   I've spelled out some of the defensive responsibilities in red.

- Boundary CB is in his 1/4 on Odell.    

- Boundary safety is keying the #2.  If #2 goes past 8-10 yards (somewhere in there, as a general rule of thumb with these quarters looks) then he picks up the #2 in man

- Boundary linebacker plays the HB release to the outside, or if the HB stays he can get depth and width taking away any short breaks to the outside.

- Backside CB is 6 yards off and looks to be playing the deep 1/2 to that side.  

As for the offense, instead of having OBJ just run off the underneath coverage, he's being tagged to run a post.  I'm not familiar with Stefs play call language, but the receiver usually has some leeway on how he wants to run this route.    Now you might remember where I mentioned early in the year Baker seems to almost have a tendency to lock into his left side at times and pre-determine his throw.  There is something of a case of that here.  Because the gift being given is the gift of single, off coverage by the Cowboys on a still fast OBJ.    

5125016_Cowboyscover6.thumb.jpg.598a8e26d2c69c5cb59aa22a837a6c3b.jpg

Pic 2 -

The gift I'm mentioning is that the post OBJ was tagged in tends to eat this particular type of call alive.  You can run this variation against 3 deep shells and, much like how I pointed out against the Colts, it's basically stealing throwing to that 7 route.    You can throw that same out/bench/flag here, it's just that you're working with much more limited space and you're doing so with a team who is clearly not scared of you throwing over them.    Notice my little notes in yellow.     Your receivers are getting free releases, your #2 has made that boundary safety plant and drive on his assignment. Which means you're working against both the sideline and the DB.   So if you're clued into the coverage, in your mind you know you've now put, (when he's healthy and producing)  a top 10 receiver in a 1 on 1 situation.  

1724632490_Cowboyscover6Pt2.thumb.jpg.9fed1d5893f2a1f049e720f5ce3fe587.jpg

PIc 3 -   

First thing I highlighted was the pocket integrity.  Cowboys pass rush was nonexistent all season apart from Aldon Smith.   You also know Mike Nolan isn't very aggressive with his DB's.  He's one of the worst coordinators in the league and they had just been bombed on in 2 or 3 consecutive games?   So if you're doing your film work middle of the week, you're absolutely licking your chops as an offensive staff and players.       But this is the part that really became clear to me... this isn't so much about Baker locking onto any particular receiver so much as it might be him locking into a favored side of the field and concept.   It's another flood, it's safe, it's "home".       Don't get me wrong, it was still a completely pass and the Browns won this game.  So I'm nit-picking.  But I'm nit-picking in ways that demonstrate the designed deep shots were also more than just a product of a lack of "chemistry".  

Once again, Baker has time to throw here, he see's the underneath linebacker take a little of that back on the cheese.   He see's the voided space, but to borrow a line from a song "You saw the apple hanging from the tree, but missed the orchard in your gaze".     Not even a 1/4 second later, that shoulder and head nod along with the outside step and drive back to positive field from Odell.....   wait for it....

217061157_Cowboyscover6pt3.thumb.png.90d4a72cfc889e5fe9debb8b6fa2a6f8.png

Pic 4 -  Odell bends it back in and would have absolutely roasted this corner.     Of course by now the ball is out and even the corner in his 1/4 over Odell is trying to flip his hips and drive onto the 7 route by the #2.  That's because they were playing Bakers eyes.  Andhis eyes, at least on this particular play, we're not good enough to go for gold here.   DB's don't look afraid here.   Not afraid enough of Baker's eyes anyway.    

This play is a silver medal.  Silver isn't bad, it's respectable and it moves chains.  But this was a potential home run throw from any of the elite QB's in this league.   Rodgers, Brady, Mahomes, Wilson, Waston... Hell, maybe even Dak.      They're all going to take this bomb inside that CB (to OBJ's field shoulder) the moment they see that safety sitting flat footed and waiting for the #2.  Because, again, they understand and anticipate just how the coverage will react when faced with the routes that unfold in front of them.  It's when I mention you have to overlap the blueprints of your offensive routes V the defense you're reading in real time.  

Pocket is clean, boundary safety has declared his assignment, backside vertical help doesn't even exist in this particular case.  He's too occupied with Landry and being WAAAAY outside the hash.   This is one of those moments Baker could have even waited like an asshole and just put it on Odell or thrown to him in stride.   Had he just processed this a little... "smarter" and trusted both himself and his receiver downfield.  

I know I've mentioned this before, I know @Tour2ma has mentioned this before.  He needs a little more consistency throwing receivers open, he needs more work throwing to receivers covered (50/50 balls, I suppose) and to get away from this love of locking into the left side of the field, especially when it's the boundary.   Hell, if anything the formation strength to this side was drawn up by Stef and Co. purposely to give him and Odell this gift. 

Because, for ANYONE still reading at this point, you'll remember that first throw and pick by Baker against the Ravens at the start of the season. I broke that throw down as well.    There are similarities here in that, while it's certainly not going the other way, it's still an example of the steps Baker needs to take in his mental growth and timing as a QB.   The great ones, the ones that command top dollar and produce year after year - I promise you they're taking the throw to Odell here.   Only time I can think they wouldn't would be in crunch time, major 3rd down or 4th down "gotta have the chains" situations.     Even then, I remember watching more than a few of those throws... big one that comes to mind is Rodgers on 4th vs the Bears on a broken play to Jordy Nelson I believe? For a TD.     Why? They bet big, they win big.  

1874376774_Cowboyscover6pt4.thumb.png.85b93c2f0ccc6f9e97746c0598eead5c.png

So in this case, I both agree and disagree with Mr Kollman.    There are instances and coverages Baker and Odell have faced where they clearly need more off-season work.  And there are instances, such as the one I highlighted above, where I ultimately put it on Bakers shoulders.  If he wants to be paid, the leader, the point guard - then the buck stops here with him.  That's a throw he has to take when he gets it.  That great game OBJ had becomes a MONSTER game with a 55 yard deep post.   It's the role that, when OBJ should depart, I hope and trust DPJ will be ready to step into.     I know @MLD Woody would certainly love that and agree with me.  It's how I envision him playing.  Filling that X receiver role in Stefs offense for some years to come.   Especially at the cheap(er) price his rookie contract is letting this team work with.    

Hell, lets pretend Baker becomes really elite and DPJ takes over that same spot Landry is in this particular play.   As the #1 to the field.  That's also a wet dream for any elite QB having that type of matchup to work with.     This is showing us some things, the shots were there.  Not always, not even most of the time.  But it's just one game in the handful Odell played for us.  If I had the time, I'm sure I could find half dozen more in film.

edit:  You may applaud.

Oh damn, forgot to upload the 5th pic and final little cherry.    Odell ran through this route and he continued to haul ass through this route despite the ball being out of Bakers hands because he knew damn well what he read - AND-  he also knew that if Baker stands and delivers - that ball is a touchdown.     OBJ was on the right page, saw the coverage the cowboys were playing and wanted to eat.     Baker has to feed him here.    

You can see on the clip uploaded by Brett, Odell rip off the chin straps and sort of throw up his hands like "WHY BAKER, WHY!?!?".  

Like I said, I agree on some things with Brett.  But this play is one of those things I disagree on with this particular coverage.  This play wasn't Odell providing the threat that opened up the 7.  This play was designed with a twist in mind off that basic flood.  The twist being that - should it be there, it's a catapult shot to OBJ on the frontside post. 

Cowboys cover 6 pt 5.png

My current dream 3 receiver set would be OBJ, DPJ and Landry in the slot.  DPJ brings some size to the outside and I've always wanted shifty Landry in the slot.

Of course, DPJ would have to carry his solid practices over to the games...and OBJ would need to be 100% healthy, of which I hear he's doing very little in practices.

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Part 2...  where I speak of Baker needing to work on his pre-snap and post-snap setup in a way that allows him and OBJ to thrive.   And to thrive most especially as a deep threat, which in turn will help to further open of the awesome potential of this offense.

Vs the Cowboys - Part 1.

Instead of being under center single back with a reduced split from you X (like how I showed against the Colts)  The browns are in the gun with a 2x2 set, HB to the left sets the formation strength to the boundary (short side of the field)   This is again, a classic little flood concept except it's a different formation and one other big thing - running the play to the short side.    When you put your passing strength to the boundary along with having wider splits to the field it accomplishes one usually really big goal - helps more clearly identify the coverage you're facing and gives fewer defensive bodies to the field (wide) side.  

The cowboys, because of the personnel we come out in, are playing their nickel.  Instead of cover 3, Mike nolan dials up a cover 6 variation.  Boundary CB is in his quarter, boundary safety is in his quarter and the field side DB's can invert their coverage as adjusted by coach or on the field.  You can have the corner play squat or you can have the field safety play the under role.   I've spelled out some of the defensive responsibilities in red.

- Boundary CB is in his 1/4 on Odell.    

- Boundary safety is keying the #2.  If #2 goes past 8-10 yards (somewhere in there, as a general rule of thumb with these quarters looks) then he picks up the #2 in man

- Boundary linebacker plays the HB release to the outside, or if the HB stays he can get depth and width taking away any short breaks to the outside.

- Backside CB is 6 yards off and looks to be playing the deep 1/2 to that side.  

As for the offense, instead of having OBJ just run off the underneath coverage, he's being tagged to run a post.  I'm not familiar with Stefs play call language, but the receiver usually has some leeway on how he wants to run this route.    Now you might remember where I mentioned early in the year Baker seems to almost have a tendency to lock into his left side at times and pre-determine his throw.  There is something of a case of that here.  Because the gift being given is the gift of single, off coverage by the Cowboys on a still fast OBJ.    

5125016_Cowboyscover6.thumb.jpg.598a8e26d2c69c5cb59aa22a837a6c3b.jpg

Pic 2 -

The gift I'm mentioning is that the post OBJ was tagged in tends to eat this particular type of call alive.  You can run this variation against 3 deep shells and, much like how I pointed out against the Colts, it's basically stealing throwing to that 7 route.    You can throw that same out/bench/flag here, it's just that you're working with much more limited space and you're doing so with a team who is clearly not scared of you throwing over them.    Notice my little notes in yellow.     Your receivers are getting free releases, your #2 has made that boundary safety plant and drive on his assignment. Which means you're working against both the sideline and the DB.   So if you're clued into the coverage, in your mind you know you've now put, (when he's healthy and producing)  a top 10 receiver in a 1 on 1 situation.  

1724632490_Cowboyscover6Pt2.thumb.jpg.9fed1d5893f2a1f049e720f5ce3fe587.jpg

PIc 3 -   

First thing I highlighted was the pocket integrity.  Cowboys pass rush was nonexistent all season apart from Aldon Smith.   You also know Mike Nolan isn't very aggressive with his DB's.  He's one of the worst coordinators in the league and they had just been bombed on in 2 or 3 consecutive games?   So if you're doing your film work middle of the week, you're absolutely licking your chops as an offensive staff and players.       But this is the part that really became clear to me... this isn't so much about Baker locking onto any particular receiver so much as it might be him locking into a favored side of the field and concept.   It's another flood, it's safe, it's "home".       Don't get me wrong, it was still a completely pass and the Browns won this game.  So I'm nit-picking.  But I'm nit-picking in ways that demonstrate the designed deep shots were also more than just a product of a lack of "chemistry".  

Once again, Baker has time to throw here, he see's the underneath linebacker take a little of that back on the cheese.   He see's the voided space, but to borrow a line from a song "You saw the apple hanging from the tree, but missed the orchard in your gaze".     Not even a 1/4 second later, that shoulder and head nod along with the outside step and drive back to positive field from Odell.....   wait for it....

217061157_Cowboyscover6pt3.thumb.png.90d4a72cfc889e5fe9debb8b6fa2a6f8.png

Pic 4 -  Odell bends it back in and would have absolutely roasted this corner.     Of course by now the ball is out and even the corner in his 1/4 over Odell is trying to flip his hips and drive onto the 7 route by the #2.  That's because they were playing Bakers eyes.  Andhis eyes, at least on this particular play, we're not good enough to go for gold here.   DB's don't look afraid here.   Not afraid enough of Baker's eyes anyway.    

This play is a silver medal.  Silver isn't bad, it's respectable and it moves chains.  But this was a potential home run throw from any of the elite QB's in this league.   Rodgers, Brady, Mahomes, Wilson, Waston... Hell, maybe even Dak.      They're all going to take this bomb inside that CB (to OBJ's field shoulder) the moment they see that safety sitting flat footed and waiting for the #2.  Because, again, they understand and anticipate just how the coverage will react when faced with the routes that unfold in front of them.  It's when I mention you have to overlap the blueprints of your offensive routes V the defense you're reading in real time.  

Pocket is clean, boundary safety has declared his assignment, backside vertical help doesn't even exist in this particular case.  He's too occupied with Landry and being WAAAAY outside the hash.   This is one of those moments Baker could have even waited like an asshole and just put it on Odell or thrown to him in stride.   Had he just processed this a little... "smarter" and trusted both himself and his receiver downfield.  

I know I've mentioned this before, I know @Tour2ma has mentioned this before.  He needs a little more consistency throwing receivers open, he needs more work throwing to receivers covered (50/50 balls, I suppose) and to get away from this love of locking into the left side of the field, especially when it's the boundary.   Hell, if anything the formation strength to this side was drawn up by Stef and Co. purposely to give him and Odell this gift. 

Because, for ANYONE still reading at this point, you'll remember that first throw and pick by Baker against the Ravens at the start of the season. I broke that throw down as well.    There are similarities here in that, while it's certainly not going the other way, it's still an example of the steps Baker needs to take in his mental growth and timing as a QB.   The great ones, the ones that command top dollar and produce year after year - I promise you they're taking the throw to Odell here.   Only time I can think they wouldn't would be in crunch time, major 3rd down or 4th down "gotta have the chains" situations.     Even then, I remember watching more than a few of those throws... big one that comes to mind is Rodgers on 4th vs the Bears on a broken play to Jordy Nelson I believe? For a TD.     Why? They bet big, they win big.  

1874376774_Cowboyscover6pt4.thumb.png.85b93c2f0ccc6f9e97746c0598eead5c.png

So in this case, I both agree and disagree with Mr Kollman.    There are instances and coverages Baker and Odell have faced where they clearly need more off-season work.  And there are instances, such as the one I highlighted above, where I ultimately put it on Bakers shoulders.  If he wants to be paid, the leader, the point guard - then the buck stops here with him.  That's a throw he has to take when he gets it.  That great game OBJ had becomes a MONSTER game with a 55 yard deep post.   It's the role that, when OBJ should depart, I hope and trust DPJ will be ready to step into.     I know @MLD Woody would certainly love that and agree with me.  It's how I envision him playing.  Filling that X receiver role in Stefs offense for some years to come.   Especially at the cheap(er) price his rookie contract is letting this team work with.    

Hell, lets pretend Baker becomes really elite and DPJ takes over that same spot Landry is in this particular play.   As the #1 to the field.  That's also a wet dream for any elite QB having that type of matchup to work with.     This is showing us some things, the shots were there.  Not always, not even most of the time.  But it's just one game in the handful Odell played for us.  If I had the time, I'm sure I could find half dozen more in film.

edit:  You may applaud.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952cd1de8e4896379a8da

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, gumby73 said:

The first #Browns unofficial depth chart for the 2021 season

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lists/browns-53-man-roster-bubble-players/ 

This looks like what the reporters have been saying about the pecking orders so far. The offense looks exactly like I projected.

There have been some surprises on the other side of the ball: Most notabley the rise of Sheldon Day day at DT, who is in the Top 3 rotation by all reports. If he makes the team, that makes for a crowded DL room  and doesn't look good for McDowell or Wilson, the Bonus Baby. In fact, you know they are going to keep their draft pick Toga Toga, so then you are making a decision on Jordan Elliot, a third round pick last year who could be on the ropes already.

I'm a little surprised that Jacob Phillips is listed as the backup MLB and not competeing for a starting position outside ... but it's early. JOK will rise as well.

The safeties are pretty banged up, so a good opprtunity for Moffat and LeCunt to show what they can do in the preseason games.

Zombo

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Zombo said:

This looks like what the reporters have been saying about the pecking orders so far. The offense looks exactly like I projected.

There have been some surprises on the other side of the ball: Most notabley the rise of Sheldon Day day at DT, who is in the Top 3 rotation by all reports. If he makes the team, that makes for a crowded DL room  and doesn't look good for McDowell or Wilson, the Bonus Baby. In fact, you know they are going to keep their draft pick Toga Toga, so then you are making a decision on Jordan Elliot, a third round pick last year who could be on the ropes already.

I'm a little surprised that Jacob Phillips is listed as the backup MLB and not competeing for a starting position outside ... but it's early. JOK will rise as well.

The safeties are pretty banged up, so a good opprtunity for Moffat and LeCunt to show what they can do in the preseason games.

Zombo

It would have to be a hell of a leap for me to see Sheldon Day as the primary #2 at 3tech.  But he is the veteran out of that potential rotation of him, Elliot and Togi.  McDowell will likely be an injury casualty and Wilson could see protected practice squad status until mid season.  He needs fundamental work and professional conditioning.  But we'll need another big to play some quality minutes at the shade and heavier fronts later into the season.

Natson is quite a ways down the pecking order at WR.  He's even behind Bradley, who I kinda' like.  But Natson headlines the return positions.  And behind him is DPJ & D'E.  Last year DPJ worried me on the punts.  I always had the fear of him muffing because of lack on concentration on the ball because of concern with getting muckled.  D'E was solid at returns last year.

And Sheldon Day is a surprise.  We'll have to check him out in live action.

o.k so i was reading that next tuesday we will cut 5 players (sure they will more than likely be players who will not catch on elsewhere) but what happened to just one day of massive cuts by all teams ?

1 hour ago, ATOM said:

o.k so i was reading that next tuesday we will cut 5 players (sure they will more than likely be players who will not catch on elsewhere) but what happened to just one day of massive cuts by all teams ?

I thought there were two major cuts down to 70 and the other to 53...but I don’t recall a 5 player cut deadline.  I think some of the roster rules have changed I know the IR rules were modified last year because of COVID.  I’m too lazy or indifferent to check. 

On 8/12/2021 at 11:40 AM, SdBacker80 said:

I think some of the roster rules have changed I know the IR rules were modified last year because of COVID.  

Teams are also able to bring back an unlimited (not just 2) amount of players from injured reserve or the non-football injury list. However, this rule only applies to players *on the 53-man roster after cutdowns* later this summer. Drawing this line in the sand by the NFL is an attempt to prevent teams from stashing players for the future without taking up spots on the current roster.

So, any players on the roster after 4 p.m. ET on Wednesday, Sept. 1 qualify to come off injured reserve after just three weeks. 

Of course, the primary goal of this change was to give teams better flexibility amid the pandemic during the 2020 season. Under the former stipulations, clubs were only able to bring two players back from IR after they'd missed eight games. Naturally, this opens things up a bit more for every team. 

Riddle me this 🤓.. Grant Delpit & or Tony Fields, cannot* go onto IR, until both make the 53 man roster ? 

27 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Teams are also able to bring back an unlimited (not just 2) amount of players from injured reserve or the non-football injury list. However, this rule only applies to players *on the 53-man roster after cutdowns* later this summer. Drawing this line in the sand by the NFL is an attempt to prevent teams from stashing players for the future without taking up spots on the current roster.

So, any players on the roster after 4 p.m. ET on Wednesday, Sept. 1 qualify to come off injured reserve after just three weeks. 

Of course, the primary goal of this change was to give teams better flexibility amid the pandemic during the 2020 season. Under the former stipulations, clubs were only able to bring two players back from IR after they'd missed eight games. Naturally, this opens things up a bit more for every team. 

Riddle me this 🤓.. Grant Delpit & or Tony Fields, cannot* go onto IR, until both make the 53 man roster ? 

They can't come off IR unless they are on original roster ... Delpit will make the roster and if you want to then put him on IR for three games you can.

Fields has missed too much time for a rookie, I would but him on IR before the season, thereby stashing him for the season and saving the roster spot.

Z

• Upvote 1

I think that last year (or was it the year before) cuts from one number to the next were so close in time that most teams made just one giant cut on the first of the two dates.

On 8/12/2021 at 6:05 PM, gumby73 said:

Cut Downs Coming: The Browns and the rest of the NFL will have to trim their roster from 90 to 85 by Tuesday Aug. 17 and then to 80 by Tuesday Aug. 24, before the final roster cut down to 53 on Tuesday Aug. 31. 

In a attempt to P- off 5 players being cut?

Here's 5, I've learned nothing about thru camp..

#18- WR- Davion Davis

#37-RB Corey Taylor

#49-CB Kiondre Thomas

#37- CB Emanuel Rugamba

5th? #41- LB/ST Montrel Meander..(knowing. he makes this club every season)

Now I can go hope, they play at a pro bowler level.. (fair catch/nor knee down nothing) Go get some! fella's       

3 hours ago, gumby73 said:

In a attempt to P- off 5 players being cut?

Here's 5, I've learned nothing about thru camp..

#18- WR- Davion Davis

#37-RB Corey Taylor

#49-CB Kiondre Thomas

#37- CB Emanuel Rugamba

5th? #41- LB/ST Montrel Meander..(knowing. he makes this club every season)

Now I can go hope, they play at a pro bowler level.. (fair catch/nor knee down nothing) Go get some! fella's       

GIF bow down, best animated GIFs free download   I'll be getting to my 50 camp push-ups before bedtime...  GIFs Nicktoons Nickelodeon Loud house GIF