THE BROWNS BOARD

2021 Browns Depth Chart

Zombo

• I was just writing about Wilson v Billings in gum's "Camp battle" thread...
  • I'd include Togiai in your hype list... more than a little Buckeye homerism bleeding thru... but still a developmental pick that should pan out. Hudson looks solid... and with Hubbard gives us the luxury of two swingmen OLs for at least this season.
  • Agree on Hill, excepting that his signing was fairly widely lauded when he inked with us... so not a lot of "sneak" there.

4 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:
  • I was just writing about Wilson v Billings in gum's "Camp battle" thread...
  • I'd include Togiai in your hype list... more than a little Buckeye homerism bleeding thru... but still a developmental pick that should pan out. Hudson looks solid... and with Hubbard gives us the luxury of two swingmen OLs for at least this season.
  • Agree on Hill, excepting that his signing was fairly widely lauded when he inked with us... so not a lot of "sneak" there.

Ya, I wish Toga wasn't a Buckeye, then he'd be more of a surprise ☺.

Hill made a splash when he signed, but then we added Johnson at Safety and Newsome at corner, and now he's almost an "oh, ya, btw" signing...

Z

Interesting Landry tidbit.. He's 15 pounds lighter than last year -- apparently he played a role as a blocker last year but attributes his inability to get open vs Chiefs [or any press DB such as Ravens] to the extra weight.  Also noted that he's less of an athlete than any of Hooper/Bryant/Njoku for the "capable blocker who also catches things" role. 

Thought experiment:  If the slimming doesn't make him appreciably more open in 2021.. His time as a Brown may be appreciated but over sooner than we have previously thought.  2022 is the last year of his contract and so cutting before 7/1/22 only costs 1.5 in dead money - saving 15.1 off the cap.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Interesting Landry tidbit.. He's 15 pounds lighter than last year -- apparently he played a role as a blocker last year but attributes his inability to get open vs Chiefs [or any press DB such as Ravens] to the extra weight.  Also noted that he's less of an athlete than any of Hooper/Bryant/Njoku for the "capable blocker who also catches things" role. 

Thought experiment:  If the slimming doesn't make him appreciably more open in 2021.. His time as a Brown may be appreciated but over sooner than we have previously thought.  2022 is the last year of his contract and so cutting before 7/1/22 only costs 1.5 in dead money - saving 15.1 off the cap.

I won't be shocked if this is the last season Landry and OBJ are Cleveland Browns.

18 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I won't be shocked if this is the last season Landry and OBJ are Cleveland Browns.

Of these two plus Njoku... who do you think is most likely a Brown beyond 2021?

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Hmm... that's a tough one. 

OBJ is the least likely for me... I could see Landry on a reworked deal, but I'm a little worried that his decline is starting now. I could see Njoku coming back on a one year deal, like Higgins did. Gun to my head, I'll say Landry. 

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I'm with Dutch.. Hmmm, That's a tuff'y question..

My TE mind is seeing Njoku having a huge enough season that we won't be able to pay it..🤞.. He finally seems 🏈 focused

It's a do it or move along type OBJ season..

Gut says...Out OBJ/Njoku.. Landry stays awaiting his Courage Lion Statue 🦁 🤣

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Landry.

I don't see a scenario where Nojoku returns.

And OBJ has to pretty much be NFL MVP to earn his pay for next year.

Landry on a reworked year. Schwartz and People Jones will have a big say in this.

Z

On 7/11/2021 at 10:33 AM, Tour2ma said:

I gotta go Njoku...

Last year we saw him improve in every facet of his position. Finally started to see him realize the potential we drafted in 2016. I think that continues in 2021 and the departure of the other two clear the space to ink him to a long-term deal.

Also see Hooper traded as well...

• 2 weeks later...

Browns sign deals with rookies CB Greg Newsome II, WR Anthony Schwartz

All eight members of the Browns' 2021 draft class have signed their rookie deals.

Jul 24, 2021 at 08:34 AM

-----------------   and there was much rejoicing ---------

3 minutes ago, Orion said:

Browns sign deals with rookies CB Greg Newsome II, WR Anthony Schwartz

All eight members of the Browns' 2021 draft class have signed their rookie deals.

Jul 24, 2021 at 08:34 AM

-----------------   and there was much rejoicing ---------

REJOICING, YOU BETCHA !!!!

• Thanks 1

If a guy like Schwartz wants to play in games, with the receiver room he's entering, he's gonna need the coach to like him.  Get your rookie contract signed, get to TC, and get off on the right foot.  And as for Newsome, Greedy Williams was drafted to be a starting corner too.  He isn't going to roll over and play dead.  (unless his shoulder holds him out)

In a few days the veterans will be showing up.  All hands will be on deck.  We have a good mixture of speed and power with a lot of talented, athletic players.  We have a smart coach.  This is the best we've looked going into TC in......forever. 

Why not us?  Go Browns!

and we have one of the most dangerous rb's in the NFL and a kick ass oline....

it's going to be a fascinating season.

https://www.brownsnation.com/nick-chubb-shows-off-amazing-strength-in-workout-video/

Nick Chubb Shows Off Amazing Strength In Workout (Video)

8/1/21 Training Camp Update:

QB B.Mayfield, C. Keenum, K. Lauletta

FB A. Janovich, J. Stanton

RB  N. Chubb,  K. Hunt,  D. Johnson, D. Felton, T. HarbisonJ. Kelly

WR1  O. Beckham,  A. Schwartz,  J. Natson, D. Davis

WR2 J. Landry,  K. Hodge,  R. Switzer, A.Hollins

WR3  R. Higgins, D. Peoples-Jones, J. Bradley

TE1 A. Hooper, D. Njoku, C. Davis,

TE2  H. Bryant , S. Carlson, J. Franks

LT J. Wills,  J. Hudson A. Taylor,

LG J. Bitonio , B. Hance, A. Fabiano, C. Gossett

C J.Tretter , N. Harris, J. Patterson

RG  W. Teller ,  M. Dunn, D. ForbesC. Iwuagwu

RT J. Conklin,  C. Hubbard , G. Senat

DE M. Garrett, P. Gustin, C. Malveaux, R. McNight

DT  A. Billings, J. Elliott, M. Wilson, D. Square

DT  M. Jackson, T. Togiai, M. McDowellS. Day

DE  J. Clowney, T. McKinley,  J. Jackson , C. Weaver

MLB A. Walker,  T. Fields 

WLB  J. O-K, M. Smith,  M. Wilson, G. Obinna, 

SLB  J. Phillips, S. Takitaki, E. Lee

CB D. Ward, A.J. Green, R. Jackson

CB  G. Newsome, G. Williams,  K. Thomas, B. Allen

Nickle  T. Hill,  MJ Stewart, E. Rugamba

Dime R. Harrison, M. Meander

FS , G Delpit, R. LeCounte,J. Moffat,

SS  J. Johnson, S. Redwine,  E. Benton

K  C. Parkey, C. McLaughlin

P  J. Gillan

LS  C. Hughlett

KR  (J. Natson)(D. Johnson) (D. Felton)

PR  (J. Natson)(D. Peoples-Jones) (D. Felton)

Risers:

-With rookie Fields injured, and Mack Wilson reportedly looking improved, I switched the roster status of those two.

-Donovan Peoples Jones sounds like he is in contention for that #3 receiver spot with a nice camp so far

Fallers:

RIP Derrick Willies ... we will always remeber that long catch and run to beat the Ratbirds.

Add another former Vike to our WR room...

https://www.news5cleveland.com/sports/browns/cleveland-browns-sign-wr-davion-davis

image.png.8e63601281374208996dd32a3624bcc1.png

Bit stouter smurf... 15 reps is pretty impressive for 5'11, 191#. S/T gunner? Kick returner?

It looks like the BROWNS' might be loaded in some areas.......note that's before they take a regular season snap.

On offence :.     RB, WR maybe OL which you always need backups and I'd hate to jinx the QB position.

On defense :.    Hmmmm,  DE,  DT maybe.  Hard to say on the LBs for sure. And DBs  let's wait a bit before go on the loaded list.

GO BROWNS,.   just win..... baby !     :D

4 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

How do you have JOK ahead of Mack as the WILL when the rookie hasn't even taken a camp snap yet?

After watching Mack “tackle” it makes sense. 

He was a healthy scratch last December too in a position group that most will admit struggled some last season. 

46 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

After watching Mack “tackle” it makes sense. 

He was a healthy scratch last December too in a position group that most will admit struggled some last season. 

I'm not disagreeing with any of that.  But he still has NFL experience, so penciling in a rookie... an undersized rookie who hasn't taken a single nap in training camp let alone the NFL? 

That's a stretch.  

17 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

How do you have JOK ahead of Mack as the WILL when the rookie hasn't even taken a camp snap yet?

I'm not giving an up-to-date look at the current depth chart, I'm projecting the final depth chart. Missing 10 days of camp (non-injury) does not change my opinion that come September 12th he'll get the most snaps at wlb.

Z

• Upvote 1

On 8/1/2021 at 5:40 PM, tiamat63 said:

I'm not disagreeing with any of that.  But he still has NFL experience, so penciling in a rookie... an undersized rookie who hasn't taken a single nap in training camp let alone the NFL? 

That's a stretch.  

But obviously this proves he is taking everything in and not sleeping through lessons.😴

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I nap after a hard morning watching TV.😴

And throw in a nice snack...... the brunch of champions !

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Between Tour calling 5'11 people midgets and all the free time you retired folks keep rubbing in my face, it's no wonder nobody likes you boomers 😂😂😂

Hey we retired boomers work hard at keeping you soft millennials in line !  hahaha 😅

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Between Tour calling 5'11 people midgets and all the free time you retired folks keep rubbing in my face, it's no wonder nobody likes you boomers 😂😂😂

Plus now we're livin' off your tax money!🕸️🕷️

• Haha 1