THE BROWNS BOARD

Ogunjobi signs with Bengals - Njoku gets guaranteed money

calfoxwc

Was one of my favorite players from that draft, but his numbers were down last year.....I thought Ogunjobi would get a raise, and Njoku would be gone..... lol

But the Browns will face Ogunjobi twice a year, and ...

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/03/larry-ogunjobi-leaving-browns-to-sign-with-bengals.html

did Njoku suddenly decide to be a football star and stop whining and posing without his shirt off ? Always catch the ball even?

https://www.brownsnation.com/david-njoku-reacts-to-his-contract-being-guaranteed/

.. or we finally have a HC/Staff that know how to motivate/use him.

Njoku was drafted as a gifted prospect to develop... a job entrusted to Hue Jackson. :blink: Still his second season... 1st with Baker (eventually) was his most productive.

2019 he was hurt...

... and then in 2020 there came Stef... Hoop... Bryant... and a clear message which was just clearly received.

By every advanced metric 2020 was David's best receiving season to date.

And shock of shocks we learned not only was he also a capable blocker, but the best blocking TE we had on our roster.

I can't wait to see what he does this season.

My biggest fear is that we won't be able to afford him when it's over...

16 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

.. or we finally have a HC/Staff that know how to motivate/use him.

I can't wait to see what he does this season.

My biggest fear is that we won't be able to afford him when it's over...

Agreed, but I think his dropped passes shouldn't have had to be resolved by coaches.

And he has always been a low key distraction and whiner.

It would be great if he really stepped up and became a star - he has the ability.

It just seems after this time in the NFL, he hasn't worked on becoming that, I would guess because he

doesn't love the game, he loves the paychecks.

David Njoku needs to drop fewer passes, and TE coach Drew ...

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/08/david...

Aug 19, 2020 · Njoku dropped 8 of 64 catchable passes in 2018, for a league-high drop rate of 12.5 among tight ends. He dropped 2 of 7 catchable passes last season (28.6 drop …

Browns' David Njoku: Struggles with drops Sunday ...

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/...

Jul 29, 2018 · Njoku -- who dropped three passes during his rookie season -- is expected to take the bulk of the team's snaps at tight end after sharing the position with Seth DeValve (thigh) in …

i honestly think Njoku was so young & physically gifted coming out of Miami...He thought he did not need nfl coaching or Darren Fells to teach him anything...

I saw a change last season when the kid accepted blocking coaching assignments... I see a big year for the Joke & hope he can stay healthy..

Wouldn't we all love to be 24 again, ripped with 4 years of nfl experience ?  earn your money kid & good luck

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

Nope. “He dropped three passes a year” 

Front offices don’t care 

If he dropped 3 passes a year, and caught 60, no one would care.

But, as shown above, he had one season where he dropped 12.5% of passes thrown to him. 

Saying front offices don't care about dropped passes is akin to saying MLB front offices don't care that there shortstop makes 40 errors a season. 

7 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

But, as shown above, he had one season where he dropped 12.5% of passes thrown to him. 

Estimates vary... for same season PFY has his drop rate at about half that... besides 2018 is old news. His 2020 drop rate was 3.4 and Baker's QBR when targeting him was 110.

image.png.016f2536a1f4754d9ab422c8ac113c7d.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Deal specifics released - 6.2 total, 4.6 guaranteed.  Far too much money - don't think once about this let alone twice.

14th highest-paid TE in the league...

Still paying for "potential", but I'm OK with it.

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Estimates vary... for same season PFY has his drop rate at about half that... besides 2018 is old news. His 2020 drop rate was 3.4 and Baker's QBR when targeting him was 110.

image.png.016f2536a1f4754d9ab422c8ac113c7d.png

Which is why I said that by the end of the year he was all-around the best TE on the roster. 

But saying that dropping balls isn't a big deal is, well, kind of silly. A person who says such things could very well be dubbed a "silly goose" or that they wear "silly pants". 

• Haha 1

Njoku is going to be focused next season.  He wants to get paid.

He was good last year- and he was fighting for PT.

The first three years (when he was available) he had what appeared to be focus issues.  Missed blocks, holding calls (football IQ issues) and dropped passes.  He was the guy at the position and played with no urgency or focus. 

Im fine with bringing him back as I think he plays with renewed purpose.  He should help us. 

Just now, SdBacker80 said:

Njoku is going to be focused next season.  He wants to get paid.

He was good last year- and he was fighting for PT.

The first three years (when he was available) he had what appeared to be focus issues.  Missed blocks, holding calls (football IQ issues) and dropped passes.  He was the guy at the position and played with no urgency or focus. 

Im fine with bringing him back as I think he plays with renewed purpose.  He should help us. 

Also, Hooper looked pretty 'meh' to me. Not horrible, but not very dynamic at all. 

1 minute ago, LondonBrown said:

We definitely overpaid for Hooper 

And that's the problem - you almost always overpay for free agents. 

Good thing the TE room is pretty deep, and I know there are more pressing areas, but I wouldn't mind a TE on Day 2. 

Njoku is on his last year of his contract and Hooper is 'meh'. Bryant showed flashes, but hit the rookie wall at 100mph. (That's like 160kph or something to you).  

And that's the problem - you almost always overpay for free agents. 

Good thing the TE room is pretty deep, and I know there are more pressing areas, but I wouldn't mind a TE on Day 2. 

Njoku is on his last year of his contract and Hooper is 'meh'. Bryant showed flashes, but hit the rookie wall at 100mph. (That's like 160kph or something to you).  

I’m not a fan of drafting TE’s as they seem to take too long to produce. I’d rather let a team draft and develop them and then sign them when it’s second contract time. 

23 hours ago, LondonBrown said:

I’m not a fan of drafting TE’s as they seem to take too long to produce. I’d rather let a team draft and develop them and then sign them when it’s second contract time. 

Gotta disagree... there's a bargain TE in about every draft. Some kid who was underutilized in his college scheme. So it's more a case of tapping potential than "developing".

Just look for the hardworking, blocking TE who displayed good hands when he was thrown to and then tests well at Combine/Pro-Day. No better example than Kittle...

And, no, TEs like those I'm talking about don't grow on trees... and there will be some misses along the way, but TEs are also usually big ST contributors and add value via that route.

I'd be thrilled to see Njoku back! I'm a little worried we'll trade him for a defensive starter but we're beginning to round out our roster quite nicely. If we keep Njoku, then throw him the ball more. 

On 3/19/2021 at 7:23 PM, LondonBrown said:

TE's, much like RB's, offer insane value in day 2 and beyond picks.  

Top 15 TE's in terms of receiving yards last year - only 4 were taken in the 1st round.