THE BROWNS BOARD

Hollywood returns!

LondonBrown

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I agree with that. Higgins will always be a year to year guy.  OBJ and Jarvis make a ton of money.  It will get harder and harder to keep both.  This is a good draft for receivers.  If we select one fairly high, I think it is a clear signal that one of OBJ or Landry are gone at some point in the near future.  Near future meaning anytime before the trade deadline and the 2022 season.

If the plan is to trade one of them, drafting a receiver this year is the time to plan for that, not next draft. Again, it is a great year to draft a receiver, and I don't think we want to go in to next year counting on a freshly drafted rookie. It makes sense to give that player a year under the belt.

The Browns have Mayfield, Ward, Chubb, and Teller coming up on free agency. 

You have Landry and OBJ making about $30 mill combined. One is a leader of the team, who is somewhat limited athletically who keeps getting older. The other is a more dynamic receiver who can take pressure off the other, but isn't consistently available. 

Finding cheaper, more explosive WRs would really help a Browns team that is going to have to dole out big contracts. 

• Upvote 1

You get it Dutch.  This has nothing to do with not liking the players.  It has to do with the realities the team faces.  When we sucked it was easy to release players to add or extend others.    As you get better, hard decisions sometimes have to be made.  It isn't as simple as it once was where we could cut some player to find the roster spot.

Now, not only do we have to find the roster spot, we also have to find the cap space.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

You get it Dutch.  This has nothing to do with not liking the players.  It has to do with the realities the team faces.  When we sucked it was easy to release players to add or extend others.    As you get better, hard decisions sometimes have to be made.  It isn't as simple as it once was where we could cut some player to find the roster spot.

Now, not only do we have to find the roster spot, we also have to find the cap space.

Yep. 

The Browns are going to find themselves in the weird and unique (for them) situation of having to actually pay their top draft picks past their rookie contracts. They will have to look at their roster and figure out where they can get younger and cheaper. Well, a possession WR in his late 20s making $14ish mill a year and an oft-injured WR making more are obvious spots to look.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I agree with that. Higgins will always be a year to year guy.  OBJ and Jarvis make a ton of money.  It will get harder and harder to keep both.  This is a good draft for receivers.  If we select one fairly high, I think it is a clear signal that one of OBJ or Landry are gone at some point in the near future.  Near future meaning anytime before the trade deadline and the 2022 season.

If the plan is to trade one of them, drafting a receiver this year is the time to plan for that, not next draft. Again, it is a great year to draft a receiver, and I don't think we want to go in to next year counting on a freshly drafted rookie. It makes sense to give that player a year under the belt.

Having done some stocking up in the DB, and at  LB some with Walker, it may make it more likely that a WR may be taken high  Maybe  2d round?  I still think defense, probably DL  will be the ticket in round one. 

32 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Having done some stocking up in the DB, and at  LB some with Walker, it may make it more likely that a WR may be taken high  Maybe  2d round?  I still think defense, probably DL  will be the ticket in round one. 

That is probably the odds on favorite, and makes sense.  With FA having filled many of our needs, what might have been the odds on favorite a few weeks ago, more of a true BPA approach might be what we do, so while it might still be the odds favorite to go D, the odds might not be as good.  I also think the odds of trading out of round 1 have also increased.   

If we know anything about Berry and Depo, they love future picks, and there is no better pick to gain picks and still have a good draft pick is to trade your 1st rounder.  We could trade that and move down only 5-6 slots and probably get a 3rd rounder for next year.  It might make sense depending on who is left on the board and how likely 1-2 of them will still be there after the trade down.

1 minute ago, ballpeen said:

That is probably the odds on favorite, and makes sense.  With FA having filled many of our needs, what might have been the odds on favorite a few weeks ago, more of a true BPA approach might be what we do, so while it might still be the odds favorite to go D, the odds might not be as good.  I also think the odds of trading out of round 1 have also increased.   

If we know anything about Berry and Depo, they love future picks, and there is no better pick to gain picks and still have a good draft pick is to trade your 1st rounder.  We could trade that and move down only 5-6 slots and probably get a 3rd rounder for next year.  It might make sense depending on who is left on the board and how likely 1-2 of them will still be there after the trade down.

That makes sense in many ways, for the Browns to trade down because of the front office loves them some picks, but there is something to consider doing that...

If you do, you lose control of your top drafted player in the 2021 draft by a year. 

Something to consider.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

The Browns have Mayfield, Ward, Chubb, and Teller coming up on free agency. 

You have Landry and OBJ making about $30 mill combined. One is a leader of the team, who is somewhat limited athletically who keeps getting older.

First off, we're all getting older.  Second of all, Juice is 28 there guy.  Hard to believe because it feels like he's been in the league since the Bush administration.  

• Haha 1

On 3/18/2021 at 6:15 PM, Dutch Oven said:

I agree. 

I'd put a ton of money that 2 of the 3 - and maybe all three - of Landry, OBJ and Higgins are playing their last season with the Browns in 2021. 

i hope that Landry will re do his contract next year cause if not he will be gone

19 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

First off, we're all getting older.  Second of all, Juice is 28 there guy.  Hard to believe because it feels like he's been in the league since the Bush administration.  

We are paying a lot of money for a singles hitter who is great in the locker room. 

I'd love to keep him for the rest of his career, but it won't be long before his contract is ridiculously overpriced.

And he looked 48 vs the Chiefs. They smothered him like he was Waffle House hashbrowns and they were gravy.  

• Haha 1

On 3/18/2021 at 9:05 PM, hoorta said:

You really must think Pro-Bowl WRs just grow on trees.  Sure the Browns are way up there- 3rd in the NFL- on WR positional spending. It's not like we can't afford to. OBJ's future in 2022 will be dependent on whether he can stay healthy or not. 

so buy saying this do you mean that u do not have much confidence in Baker ?

Just now, Dutch Oven said:

We are paying a lot of money for a singles hitter who is great in the locker room. 

I'd love to keep him for the rest of his career, but it won't be long before his contract is ridiculously overpriced.

And he looked 48 vs the Chiefs. They smothered him like he was Waffle House hashbrowns and they were gravy.  

- Yeah well, ever play with a good lead off batter? Getting that on base runner really helps your overall scoring offense.

- Likewise, not saying the contract can't be restructured to better fit the production numbers.  But don't forget, the man blocks his ass off in the running game and takes command of off-season work outs.   I can't always put a price tag on something, it just has to be felt out.

- Part of that is Baker still working to throw to covered receivers, the other part is lacking a true complimentary threat on the other side (ODB) 

... And was that a god damn Bloodhound Gang reference?!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tiamat63 said:

- Yeah well, ever play with a good lead off batter? Getting that on base runner really helps your overall scoring offense.

- Likewise, not saying the contract can't be restructured to better fit the production numbers.  But don't forget, the man blocks his ass off in the running game and takes command of off-season work outs.   I can't always put a price tag on something, it just has to be felt out.

- Part of that is Baker still working to throw to covered receivers, the other part is lacking a true complimentary threat on the other side (ODB) 

... And was that a god damn Bloodhound Gang reference?!

I never in a million years would have thought someone would have got that... sometimes I reference things knowing no one will get it, but it amuses me anyway. 

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

smothered him like he was Waffle House hashbrowns and they were gravy.  

You put gravy on hashbrowns? :o

In Waffle House parlance "smothered" means onions... "covered" means cheese. And they don't call-in hash browns to the cook... it's "scattered".

Next time you go... simply ask for "scattered, smothered and covered"...

As for Landry... he's never been a burner... ran a 4.77 at his Combine. He's the wily, precision, possession, #2 hand-master who benefits from the space a burner creates.

So him losing a half step to time simply is not as big of a deal as you are making it.

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I never in a million years would have thought someone would have got that... sometimes I reference things knowing no one will get it, but it amuses me anyway. 

I'm gonna guess I did not disappoint you...

20 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

In Waffle House parlance "smothered" means onions... "covered" means cheese. And they don't call-in hash browns to the cook... it's "scattered".

As for Landry... he's never been a burner... ran a 4.77 at his Combine. He's the wily, precision, possession, #2 hand-master who benefits from the space a burner creates.

So him losing a half step to time simply is not as big of a deal as you are making it.

Or a better idea, never ever go to Waffle House for any reason what-so-ever.   

Unless it's a drunken 3am shame meal. In which case you pretty much hate yourself already being 10 shots deep.

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Unless it's a drunken 3am shame meal. In which case you pretty much hate yourself already being 10 shots deep.

I've never been to a Waffle House. 

But I spent many of night, drunk or not, in some old-school Country Kitchens back in the day. Denny's too. 

On 3/21/2021 at 7:24 PM, Tour2ma said:

And then there's this slow white guy route runner who's in the  HOF- Steve Largent. There's a few others who fit that description.  Including the guy that the College wr award is named after.  :)

I find it humorous that people who freakin' looooooooooooooove analytics think its a smart move to pay a possession receiver $14 mill a year when you have at least four linchpins to this team on the verge of free agency. Landry needs to radically redo his contract. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/22/2021 at 2:46 PM, tiamat63 said:

lol... not all that bad. The irony is their waffles are completely mediocre... but the "scattered, smothered and covered" will set you free.

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

lol... not all that bad. The irony is their waffles are completely mediocre... but the "scattered, smothered and covered" will set you free.

7 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I like mine scattered, double smothered, and chunked(ham)

8 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I haven't eaten at WF in 10 years.  And before that I don't ever remember going there and thinking to myself "man, I am really glad I had that".

It just never ends well.

29 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I haven't eaten at WF in 10 years.  And before that I don't ever remember going there and thinking to myself "man, I am really glad I had that".

It just never ends well.

I ate at a "Huddle House"  recently, which was right next door to a hotel I was staying at in Missouri.   Pretty comparable. 

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

It just never ends well.

Probably close to 10 for me as well... but I have a couple fond memories.

The shorter story is their coffee in my thermos fueled an all-nite drive back to TX after a week of Myrtle Beach golfing... 36 a day... five days straight.

The longer is a great floor show where a waitress tried to blame the cook for messing up an order that she had called out to him as they do at WH. He proceeded to repeat back to her what she'd called to him about 20 minutes earlier word for word. He got a round of applause from about a 3/4-full house.

But yeah... not a breakfast destination for me either. If I am going to dine-in for breakfast, I'll go ihop...

It's important people understand that players are ALREADY taking paycuts to sign with Cleveland.  Every million is important - it represents a competent backup rather than the next Sendejo taking some starter's place when the inevitable injury happens. 

To be clear: The linked article shows Higgins had at least one offer around the 5M level.. and he turned that down to return for half that.

So far we're aware of DB Johnson as well as Higgins. I'd guess there's others we don't know about yet -- and may never.

Culture of the team already changed.. OBJ no longer has the power to affect it.