THE BROWNS BOARD

Dak signs 4 year/ $160M deal.  The Cowboys pull the ripcord.  Whoa.

mjp28

Dak signs 4 year/ $160M deal.  The Cowboys pull the ripcord.  Whoa.

From Yahoo Sports....By Jay Hart

Yesterday started with Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys seemingly falling from the sky in an inevitable tailspin that would result in a splat. It ended with them pulling the rip cord at the last moment, saving them from catastrophe.

It can’t be overstated: The re-signing of Dak Prescott — 4 years, $160 million — is nothing short of franchise salvation. This doesn’t mean the Cowboys are heading to the Super Bowl next season. But it does mean they’re done with the question marks at the most important position in football, and they somehow saved face in the process.

Had they not signed Dak before Tuesday's 4 p.m. hard deadline, they were facing another year of him under the franchise tag which would have led to Prescott basically becoming an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. And then what?

Tagging him for another season at $54 million? That would have been a salary-cap killer.

Negotiating a new contract with other teams in the mix? That would have pushed the price and potentially shrunk the length out of Jerry's comfort zone.

Losing him to free agency? That would have meant starting over, something Jones certainly wouldn’t want to do at 78.

All along the Cowboys wanted Dak for five years. They essentially got it via the franchise tag this past season and the 4-year contract agreed to Monday. It comes in at an average of around $38.1 million, which ain’t cheap but is certainly not the premium they would have paid had they tagged him again this year.

The health of Dak’s ankle is still a question, but certainly less of one than starting over with an unknown.

In the end, this drama that has been dragging on for a year now produced winners on both sides of the table. Dak got his money, a record $75 million in the first year alone, and the Cowboys have their quarterback and leader.

All that’s left to do now is win. That’s it.

So, what do you think ?

A. The free market at work.

B. The NFL quarterback pay scale is insane.

C. Other.

59 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

So, what do you think ?

C. Other.

The Cowboys paid him like there are no other options out there. And Given their circumstances they are correct.

It was Trevor Lawrence or Dak.  They can’t have the first but they can have the second choice. 

Salary Cap era you build around a franchise QB and an elite pass rusher.  If you don’t have one or both or you aren’t paying a Franchise QB or elite pass rusher yet you have the luxury to throw top money at other positions. 

I don't think he's worth it honestly... I find him to be very average.. Jerry done fucked it up for all of the other clubs by over paying for average... What do you suppose Baker will ask for...?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mjp28 said:

So, what do you think ?

C. Other.

The correct answer is B

The dark side of a salary cap is over paying. Seems like every team has 75% of their money tied up in 4-6 players.

3 hours ago, Bob806 said:

The correct answer is B

The dark side of a salary cap is over paying. Seems like every team has 75% of their money tied up in 4-6 players.

Yes.  It gets really bad when you can't play this salary Russian Roulette and  pay for a decent 1st and 2nd team OL to protect your franchise quarterback, a decent and complete defense to keep from getting into shootouts every week and all of the other tools that enable most teams to compete year after year.

Clever management schemes and tools only can go so far.   

Well we will see how the NFL rebounds from a rough 2020 financially.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, nickers said:

I don't think he's worth it honestly... I find him to be very average.. Jerry done fucked it up for all of the other clubs by over paying for average... What do you suppose Baker will ask for...?

He is not average but he does need an OL now, not unlike Baker before last year.

........maybe merge these two threads, Dak's contract and the quarterback merry-go-round ?

Meanwhile

Dak Prescott's future with the Cowboys is secure. Now the hard part begins

Dan Wetzel
Dan Wetzel
Tue, March 9, 2021, 11:06 AM·5 min read

Five seasons into his NFL career and Dak Prescott’s biggest victory is over Jerry Jones.

Twenty-five years into a Super Bowl drought, Jones was forced on Monday, mainly due to his own poor negotiations, to bank the Dallas Cowboys' championship hopes on dropping a whopping $160 million over four years on Prescott.

The good news is a deal got done, because Dallas was done without it.

Good for Prescott, who went from fourth-round draft steal to (depending on how you calculate it) the highest-paid quarterback in the league. And good for Jones, who acknowledged his mistakes, overcame his famed stubbornness and moved forward with what’s best for the franchise.

The bad news? Now the hard part begins. For both sides.

Start with Jones, who bought the Cowboys a chance via a huge sticker price for Prescott — $126 million guaranteed. The alternative was prohibitive. Applying the franchise tag to Prescott again, to the tune of $37.7 million for 2021 and essentially giving him the chance to walk away next offseason, was a recipe for disaster.

If Jones had handled this properly — namely signing Prescott two years ago, not running back Ezekiel Elliott — he would have wrapped up the QB for something close to $32 million per year. That was a past mistake, though. At least Dallas dug out from it.........CONTINUED ON YAHOO SPORTS......March 9 2021.......

Oh is Dak really worthy of being the highest paid NFL quarterback.......well anywhere besides Jerryworld ?

This just keeps driving UP the insane NFL QB arms race, real bad for the small market teams and overall salary caps everywhere.

Dak Prescott is a top 10 (albeit on the 9-10 range) QB in the NFL. I genuinely don't get how people don't see that, and stats and data support that as well. He's firmly in the "tier 2" of QB play (which is where I'd put Mayfield, as well). You could argue before being injured he was playing at "tier 1" level as well. Dude was 4th in QBR in 2019, and was on pace to be a top 5 QBR type player in 2020 as well. Deshaun Watson and Prescott have eerily similar stats, yet somehow Watson is worth the money? Come on. 

If you want to argue the QB's are getting too much money, how it impacts the cap? I'm with you. But Prescott absolutely deserves to be paid as a starting NFL QB, and Mayfield will too if he puts up a similar year to 2020.

• Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Dak Prescott is a top 10 (albeit on the 9-10 range) QB in the NFL. I genuinely don't get how people don't see that, and stats and data support that as well. He's firmly in the "tier 2" of QB play (which is where I'd put Mayfield, as well). You could argue before being injured he was playing at "tier 1" level as well. Dude was 4th in QBR in 2019, and was on pace to be a top 5 QBR type player in 2020 as well. Deshaun Watson and Prescott have eerily similar stats, yet somehow Watson is worth the money? Come on. 

If you want to argue the QB's are getting too much money, how it impacts the cap? I'm with you. But Prescott absolutely deserves to be paid as a starting NFL QB, and Mayfield will too if he puts up a similar year to 2020.

^^^This.

Where were you with this spot on opinion weeks ago when I had my Dak Pom Poms on. 

And The next QB in line to get paid will get a ridiculous contract too and the one after that as well. 

It has become a passing league and position most in control of that is the QB.  Flip side it has become a disrupt the passer league you can’t touch WR so you need to disrupt the QB with pressure.

It is no wonder that QBs and Pass rushers get paid.  The system is not flawed. They are the two most important positions in the game. 

49 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

Good NFL starting quarterback,  yes.

Overpaid even in Jerryworld, yes.

Worth being the highest paid NFL quarterback, no.

From Spotrac 2021.  I think many people might agree that the NFL arms race is kind of screwed up out there.

For all of the numbers https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings

Screenshot_2021-03-10_125823.jpg

Screenshot_2021-03-10_130230.jpg

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Good NFL starting quarterback,  yes.

Overpaid even in Jerryworld, yes.

Worth being the highest paid NFL quarterback, no.

The thing is, highest paid QB in the league has been nothing more than a benchmark, not some badge of honor. I'm almost positive Derek Carr, Jimmy G, and Kirk Cousins were technically the highest paid dudes for a while when they first got their deals. Again, we're just going to disagree that he's only "good". Prescott from a stats standpoint would have been a top 3-4 MVP vote getter if healthy.

All I'm going to say is that Baker, barring serious regression, is going to get a very similar deal. You may want to strap in if this deal doesn't make you happy from a money standpoint.

2 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

That decision to take pay cuts is about 10000000000x easier when your wife is worth $400 million by herself and grosses $40-60 million dollars annually. That really can't be understated.

Well, actually it can when you realize Brady has career earnings of $288 million

6 minutes ago, Axe said:

Well, actually it can when you realize Brady has career earnings of $288 million

And TB12 has played longer than Moses but if he hangs around for 1 more year he'll hit $300M+ ......... just football.

50 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

And TB12 has played longer than Moses but if he hangs around for 1 more year he'll hit $300M+ ......... just football.

He is in the process of restructuring and extending his contract to free up cap space for the Bucs. No small reason I'm sure as to how the Bucs resigned Lavonte David and tagged Chris Godwin.

Prescott and his deal effectively prevent the Cowboys from being able to afford upgrades.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

17 hours ago, Axe said:

No matter how you slice it, it's insanely easier to leave money on the table when it's growing on your trees. I'm not going to fault guys for not taking a pay cut compared to the situaton TB12 has had the last 10+ years of his career.

40 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

No matter how you slice it, it's insanely easier to leave money on the table when it's growing on your trees. I'm not going to fault guys for not taking a pay cut compared to the situaton TB12 has had the last 10+ years of his career.

Well the Players Union may have had another opinion on that when you are at the top or near the top....You get paid.... not only for yourself but the amount you get can/should improve the contracts of others.

On 3/10/2021 at 5:44 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

He is not average but he does need an OL now, not unlike Baker before last year.

He's average... He has Romoitis!

On 3/10/2021 at 3:10 PM, SdBacker80 said:

And I wouldn’t want to be the Ravens.

Franchise QB.  MVP.  

They are paying a scrambling QB money into his late 20s and into his Early 30s.

Oh yeah..... everytime any wild, crazy running QB gets that look and just takes off...... meanwhile a big LB or SS gets that look and thinks 🎯 I'm going to smack that overpaid smartazz QB.

And ~ SPLAT ! ~  Time for the concussion tent.     :wacko:

14 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

Well, here's how I slice it.. Win something first and then demand your money.. Until then, get comfortable but don't hamstring your team with your never won nothing I'm a Diva contract. Leave them room to put the pcs in place so you CAN win something..

Baker, ya listening?

7 hours ago, Axe said:

Well, here's how I slice it.. Win something first and then demand your money.. Until then, get comfortable but don't hamstring your team with your never won nothing I'm a Diva contract. Leave them room to put the pcs in place so you CAN win something..

Baker, ya listening?

So a person should give up money they could earn for the greater good of others?

Oh, the irony. Nice profile pic, by the way. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

So a person should give up money they could earn for the greater good of others?

Oh, the irony. Nice profile pic, by the way. 

Only if they want to win within a system that employs a salary cap. ;)

2 hours ago, Axe said:

Only if they want to win within a system that employs a salary cap. ;)

And we're kind of dealing with hypothetical situations......sorta.

Generally run away salaries or prices don't have happy endings.  Some of us have lived through that.

From a 21% prime rate in the late 70s/early 80s to virtually free money today, oh yes there are definitely winners and losers along the way generally followed by a big crash.

Fun with money.