THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Draft Needs

The Gipper

I don’t have an argument with your assessment of our needs but what has Greedy done that instills any confidence that he is 1) going to healthy and durable 2) can hang in the League after teams target him.  

Mitchell can hang. He’s a must sign IMO.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

On 3/1/2021 at 6:32 PM, SdBacker80 said:

-Quite honestly, we had offensive coordinators redesigning game plans to exploit our secondary play or guys out in our secondary.  And Coupled with some circumstantial points that redirected/avoided focus on running against us- Although we were Top 10  We were paper tigers in this area.

Perfectly stated. 

That's what good coaching & game planning does- expose an opponent's weakness. 

I trust that Andrew Berry & company recognize this and will set out to address as many of the weaknesses as possible.

did someone call for a homo?     ApMz.gif   there's not a defensive position we can't take on.. But a starting DE would be a good start... 

• Haha 2

Zombo, Browns are a 4-2-5 team without a 5th DB at present.  That 5th DB spot is a starting role; we can do better than a street free agent.

I thought this thread was going to be about Kollman's 4.5 hr analysis this afternoon of the OSU-Indiana game from this past year.. He spent longer than the entire game originally took and only analyzed Ohio State's offensive snaps..

17 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

did someone call for a homo?     ApMz.gif   there's not a defensive position we can't take on.. But a starting DE would be a good start... 

Gumby catching the essence of Michigan football....... everytime !

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Gumby catching the essence of Michigan football....... everytime !

Yes sir! Ya can count on me 🤓.. Go Bucks!

now back to defensive moat digging  https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/29/browns-base-4-2-5-defense-no-more-4-3-joe-woods-lb-snap-counts/   Once Micah Parsons & or JOK comes off the board?

I don't have a favorite LB to beat out the Bucks Baron Browning or Justin Hilliard... calling me a Buckeye homer sounds more legit... :D 

54 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Zombo, Browns are a 4-2-5 team without a 5th DB at present.  That 5th DB spot is a starting role; we can do better than a street free agent.

I thought this thread was going to be about Kollman's 4.5 hr analysis this afternoon of the OSU-Indiana game from this past year.. He spent longer than the entire game originally took and only analyzed Ohio State's offensive snaps..

I think you are confusing street free agent with actual veteran free agents.

And I also think you are confused if you don't think I know what type of defense we run, as I always point it out in our depth chart.

And I also think you have somehow confused a street free agent as > than third round draft pick.

So I have us signing a top free agent slot corner,  re-signing Mitchell, and drafting a db in the third round ... but you think I want a street free agent?

I mean ... can you read?

Z

41 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

So depending on Greedy Williams is still a thing? 

Everything I've read sounds promising. Sign Mitchell as an insurance policy and grab a slot corner in FA.

Everyone keeps throwing our top picks at DBs in the mocks and it doesn't make for a sense full approach to me

Z

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Zombo said:

Grant Delpit and Greedy Williams will be starters next year.

The other two starters in the backfield will be Ward and Harrison. 

We need a slot corner. Plenty available in FA. We can resign Mitchell for the extra corner or find/draft another guy.

We need another 3rd safety, that guy is probably not on the roster.

But we are talking Depth moves here ... we do not need to draft a defensive back at the top of the draft...............

Z

...and of course this makes sense.  Delpit & Greedy were drafted to be starters.  But Greedy wasn't drafted by this regime.  Although I'm sure Berry researched him while he was in Philly.  I wasn't overly enamored with him when last we saw him...but he was a rookie...and he was injured some of the time (missed 4 games). 

There's an old saying, You can never have too many CB's.  But you CAN have too many highly paid CB's.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Zombo said:

Sign Mitchell as an insurance policy and grab a slot corner in FA

Who do you want to cut to acquire the cap space to achieve this?

Current liabilities are at last year's cap.. so the drop to this year's cap takes 13M [198-185]. Rookies are 7.8.

You may note that the listed "Cap Space" on OTC doesn't include rookies.. so 20.8-7.8 is where I have been getting the 13M of one-year cap as our total space.  That's not much at all, despite the clickbait on DBN and other places.

Actual FA dollars available is why I've switched to projecting we do the increase of DB talent through the draft..

Mitchell outperformed Kevin Johnson, agreed, and we also have several other FA's to sign such as Vernon and Higgins with the few FA dollars we do have.

20 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Current liabilities are at last year's cap.. so the drop to this year's cap takes 13M [198-185]. Rookies are 7.8.

You may note that the listed "Cap Space" on OTC doesn't include rookies.. so 20.8-7.8 is where I have been getting the 13M of one-year cap as our total space.  That's not much at all, despite the clickbait on DBN and other places.

Actual FA dollars available is why I've switched to projecting we do the increase of DB talent through the draft..

Mitchell outperformed Kevin Johnson, agreed, and we also have several other FA's to sign such as Vernon and Higgins with the few FA dollars we do have.

Cut out Vernon and I'm on board with that last paragraph.  

And to answer your first question - Richardson would be the first name to mind.

Vernon wasn’t valuable to this team before the Achilles injury.  If he wants an incentive laden 1 year prove it deal fine otherwise he’s out.

Richardson saves 10.5M. My preference is restructure but I think you can find a comparable player in this free agency class (especially with all the cap issues of other teams) for half the price. 

Njoku saves 6M.

Landry is a restructure candidate. 

Going to say this but I don’t know if I mean it.  OBJ for a 2nd rounder.  And it also saves 15M.

ive said it before we don’t have the bad contracts that many teams have.  Our long term commitments are coming though but there are guys that everyone is chalking up as “we have to save now to pay them later” don’t be surprised when it doesn’t happen and they turn into 3rd and 4th round compensatory picks.

Three keys...Berry nails these middle round picks the next three years, Baker continues to develop and Myles becomes the best defensive football player in the NFL. 

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Going to say this but I don’t know if I mean it.  OBJ for a 2nd rounder.  And it also saves 15M.

Getting a 2nd rounder and $15M off the books for OBJ would be a no-brainer IMO. 

Guy has missed 25 of his last 64 regular season games, and is a mediocre version of the younger OBJ at this point. 

4 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

You don't think we'll be able to sign two free agents? We will.

Free agency is how you fix holes for this season. The draft is all about the future, replacing contracts for starters that will be gone in a couple years, we have plenty on both sides of the ball.

The focus should be on frre agency now, not the draft, let's fix some holes, and then talk about draft needs. 

But it won't be a DB in Round 1.

Zombo

• Upvote 2

The Browns on Friday placed a tender on exclusive rights free agents TE Stephen Carlson and DE Porter Gustin.

Exclusive rights free agents have the option of signing their tender or sitting out the season.

...I find it hard to believe that Carlson is that important to them.  Stefanski loves his TE's.  (I guess he played special teams)  And Gustin isn't bad, but he really only played because we ran out of guys.  DE's will be comin'...

Free Agency Terms for reference

Seems a sneaky cap-friendly move.. Because Gustin and Carlson are both full FA [both came into league as UDFA], this means that next season their contract would be at the veteran minimum.  Surprisingly [to me anyway] they're both actually better than any replacement.. Porter Gustin and Stephen Carlson

Outside of not having that position on the roster, can't really ask for better performance-for-$$ from the TE4 and DE4 (or5) spots..

team-helmets-browns.png Manage The Cap
CLEVELAND BROWNS
 Change Team >>

Salary Cap: 185,000,000
Player Salaries: 202,096,142
Dead Money: 508,602

Carryover: 30,400,000
Reserved for Draft Picks: 5,000,000
Cap Space Remaining: 7,795,256

ROSTER
SIGNED PLAYERS
Name Position Cap Hit
B.J. Goodson LB 1,000,000
Terrance Mitchell CB 4,500,000
Karl Joseph S 1,500,000
Carl Lawson EDGE 5,625,000
Haason Reddick LB 5,600,000

REST OF ROSTER
Name Position Cap Hit
Odell Beckham WR 15,750,000
Jarvis Landry WR 14,753,125
Sheldon Richardson DL 13,166,668
Austin Hooper TE 8,250,000
Jack Conklin OT 13,000,000
Case Keenum QB 7,333,333
J.C. Tretter C 11,075,000
Myles Garrett EDGE 9,352,120
Baker Mayfield QB 10,569,130
Chris Hubbard OT 4,971,825
Joel Bitonio G 10,000,000
Denzel Ward CB 9,449,886
Kareem Hunt RB 5,000,000
Jedrick Willis OT 4,477,935
Nick Chubb RB 4,246,381
Greedy Williams CB 1,761,457
Adrian Clayborn EDGE 3,500,000
Andrew Billings DL 3,500,000
Charley Hughlett LS 1,145,000
Grant Delpit S 1,696,605
Andy Janovich FB 1,450,000
Sione Takitaki LB 1,090,219
Jordan Elliott DL 1,042,824
Sheldrick Redwine S 1,030,102
Mack Wilson LB 927,201
Jacob Phillips LB 1,022,591
Harrison Bryant TE 972,258
Ronnie Harrison S 2,183,000
Wyatt Teller G 2,183,000
Ryan Switzer WR 920,000
Drew Forbes G 892,334
Nick Harris C 858,662
Jamie Gillan P 853,334
KhaDarel Hodge WR 2,500,000
Stephen Carlson TE 780,000
Porter Gustin EDGE 780,000
Brian Allen CB 780,000
Montrel Meander S 850,000
Cameron Malveaux EDGE 850,000
Joe Jackson EDGE 850,000
Alexander Hollins WR 850,000
D'ernest Johnson RB 850,000
Robert Jackson CB 850,000
Colby Gossett G 850,000
Donovan Peoples-Jones WR 826,652
Drake Dorbeck OT 780,500
Blake Hance OT 780,000
Michael Dunn G 780,000
Jovante Moffatt S 780,000
Curtis Weaver EDGE 780,000

ACTIONS
CUT
Name Position
David Njoku TE
M.J. Stewart CB
Tavierre Thomas CB
Trevon Young EDGE
Malcolm Pridgeon G

Mitchell would only take a 3 yr. deal at 6M per

I needed to slim more fat & went to sign TE Kyle Rudolph... but he was not there.. 🤔

their sims roster is missing CB-AJ Green/FB-Stanton & several PS players...🙃.. and I need a KICK'er :ph34r:

Everybody has a opinion...

On 3/6/2021 at 8:37 AM, Unsympathetic said:

Who do you want to cut to acquire the cap space to achieve this?  Njoku & MJ Stewart

Vernon would be lucky if his knee is ready by next October/Nov. .. Some team may grab him in a playoff run in November of 2021.. I don't see a team making him a new deal offer just yet

On 3/6/2021 at 8:58 AM, tiamat63 said:

Cut out Vernon and I'm on board with that last paragraph.  

And to answer your first question - Richardson would be the first name to mind.

I'd hate the idea of losing both vets of our defense Richardson & Vernon.. Richardson is the trash talkin, prick defenses need.. When Myles & Vernon were both out? Richardson was the defensive leader grabbing the media presser mic...

23 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Vernon wasn’t valuable to this team before the Achilles injury. (disagree) If he wants an incentive laden 1 year prove it deal fine otherwise he’s out. (he's out till Oct.) 

Richardson saves 10.5M. My preference is restructure but I think you can find a comparable player in this free agency class (especially with all the cap issues of other teams) for half the price. (gotta name? NYG's Dalvin Tomlinson, i liked at time drafted..he may cost more) 

Njoku saves 6M. (Kyle Rudolph at age 32 for a year should cost same or less?) 

Landry is a restructure candidate. (adding years to his contract ain't a bad idea either)

OBJ? ^^ You don't mean that (yet)..Until teams can see him back on the turf 👀...No* teams taking on that contract number in a trade giving up a 2nd on a dude walking around with a limp...

21 hours ago, Zombo said:

You don't think we'll be able to sign two free agents? We will.  (Sure we will..A starting DE..The draft won't offer a 3 down starter where we sit ala Bradley Chubb)

Edit--Most restructures coming out? are adding more fluff years to a contract that Big Ben won't see..It's a GM tactic Berry could certainly use...