THE BROWNS BOARD

I was really impressed by this

Westside Steve

11 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Thinking about building an ark ?

Nope I was just reflecting on how fleeting Our Lives actually are. Thinking about my parents and grandparents gravestones and how would I die probably nobody will go visit them ever. I don't have children and when I'm gone it won't be long before the few people that love me enough to visit any Memorial I would have anywhere will never go to it again. Sure that's the way life goes I'm not sad about it just took a minute to ponder that.

Actually on reflection I think more of the times that I may have hurt someone's feelings and wish that I could change that. And I think we all look back and regret some choices we've made in life but it did not for one reason or another.

WSS

20 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Nope I was just reflecting on how fleeting Our Lives actually are. Thinking about my parents and grandparents gravestones and how would I die probably nobody will go visit them ever. I don't have children and when I'm gone it won't be long before the few people that love me enough to visit any Memorial I would have anywhere will never go to it again. Sure that's the way life goes I'm not sad about it just took a minute to ponder that.

Actually on reflection I think more of the times that I may have hurt someone's feelings and wish that I could change that. And I think we all look back and regret some choices we've made in life but it did not for one reason or another.

WSS

I get it. May I suggest cremation and ashes scattered in a favorite location? Monuments/graves are a waste of earthspace to me. Better to just return the molecules that I used for a brief time to the ones from which they were borrowed.

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I get it. May I suggest cremation and ashes scattered in a favorite location? Monuments/graves are a waste of earthspace to me. Better to just return the molecules that I used for a brief time to the ones from which they were borrowed.

Oh I have already decided on cremation. I think I'm going to buy a plot in Carrollton near my parents and grandparents for the ashes just because I'd like to have a little Stone there. I had considered one out in Kilgore Ohio where my  great, great-great andgreat great greatgrandparents and great-great-grandparents Etc are  but I think I will stay with the immediate family.

I wanted to be set adrift on Lake Erie on a  flaming barque but I don't think you could do that anymore.

WSS

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Your ashes must be buried together or you will not be resurrected (Catholic Church).

In 2016, the day before “All Souls Day,” which is a major Catholic holiday, the Vatican issued definitive guidelines concerning cremation.

The Church earnestly recommends that the pious custom be retained, but it does not forbid cremation, unless this is chosen for reasons, which are contrary to Christian teaching.

Many Catholics desire that their ashes be scattered in a place which is special to them or their loved one. However, it was decreed that ashes are not to be scattered on land, in the air, at sea, or in any other fashion.

In addition, ashes are not to be exhibited in the home, made into jewelry, cremation diamondscremation art, or any other method of display.

Where to Bury Ashes

Cremated remains are to be buried in cemeteries or other sacred locations only, that encourage the Catholic community to pray for and remember the dead.

You may ask what it would mean to a Catholic should they decide to have their ashes scattered or by other methods that are contrary to the Catholic faith. In that situation, a Catholic funeral would be denied to that person.

burial-of-ashes-ceremony.jpg

Interment Of Ashes in Cemetery

History of Catholic Cremation

In the early days, if a Christian chose cremation over burial, it implied that they no longer believed in the resurrection or were scoffing at it.

Christians especially detested that Celtic tribes of Northern Europe and Romans frequently reserved cremating for high ranking military figures. After the collapse of the Roman Empire, cremation dissipated from Europe before the seventh century.

Enlightenment Period

In the last quarter of the 19th century, European nationalists believed that bringing back the practice of cremation would create a stronger and more authentic individuality. They were also influenced by the Buddhists and Hindu funeral traditions, where this is routine practice.

Nonetheless, Christianity later became the official religion and cremation was banned.

Today, many argue that cremating is favorable because reducing the body to ashes in a few hours is more sanitary than decomposition and it’s an answer to the problem of overcrowded cemeteries.

The price of cremation is also a more affordable choice for families who cannot afford a traditional Catholic funeral.

The Correct Way to Cremate

The accepted method of the Catholic Church for disposing of the ashes is as follows:

• The remains should be treated with reverence at all times, including when being handled or transported.
  • The ashes should be placed in an urn or other proper container.
  • A stand or table is prepared in the place that is normally occupied by the casket.
  • The vessel in which the remains are contained can be carried to the prepared place during the entrance procession or it can be placed there before the beginning of the liturgy.
  • The Catholic funeral rites which consist of the vigil and the funeral Mass (if it is the judgement of the diocesan bishop) are performed.
  • The body is cremated either before or after the ceremony, depending on each situation.
  • The burial takes place in a sacred location such as a cemetery, mausoleum, or crypt.
  • Rite of Committal is celebrated at the burial site.
  • A gravestone or memorial plaque should be placed at the burial site to record the memory of the deceased.

7 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Your ashes must be buried together or you will not be resurrected (Catholic Church). I

LOL_well she was half Catholic and half Episcopalian and I was raised Methodist, so I guess we can put 3/4s of us anywhere we damn well want to scatter 'em. I prefer the gulf so part can drift back to Venezuela if we catch the right hurricane maybe. But I'd settle for the Bahamas where it usually goes by.😂🏝️

The rest we'll have dumped behind a Catholic Church near the Dempster Dumpster.👼

11 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I wanted to be set adrift on Lake Erie on a  flaming barque but I don't think you could do that anymore.

WSS

I have told my friends to just take my body weight it down and throw me in the lake 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2021 at 5:42 AM, Westside Steve said:

WSS

Since you have been in that reflective mode Steve I thought you would enjoy this novel I'm reading my brother brought me, "Fifty in Reverse" by Bill Flanagan. The premise is bout a 65 year old man who wakes up in his old home with his still alive parents in 1970 as his 15 year old self, but all the memories he has had from then up until 2020 still intact. He thinks he is somehow just dreaming so strips off his clothes in algebra class hoping to shock himself awake only to find he isn't really dreaming. He gets sent to a "hip" Harvard grad psychiatrist to "fix" this "delusion" he has about really being 65 already, but thrown back in time to do it all over again. Very funny and insightful at the same time. I think you would enjoy it.

42 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Since you have been in that reflective mode Steve I thought you would enjoy this novel I'm reading my brother brought me, "Fifty in Reverse" by Bill Flanagan. The premise is bout a 65 year old man who wakes up in his old home with his still alive parents in 1970 as his 15 year old self, but all the memories he has had from then up until 2020 still intact. He thinks he is somehow just dreaming so strips off his clothes in algebra class hoping to shock himself awake only to find he isn't really dreaming. He gets sent to a "hip" Harvard grad psychiatrist to "fix" this "delusion" he has about really being 65 already, but thrown back in time to do it all over again. Very funny and insightful at the same time. I think you would enjoy it.

I may just add that one to my list.

Actually sounds like the premise of a national lampoon story, I think by Chris Miller.

WSS

• Upvote 1