THE BROWNS BOARD

New Ice Age!!

TexasAg1969

5 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

I’ve recently retired, and the wife bought the Ascent for some long vacation road trips.

She’s currently got us heading to Tennessee, Alabama, and Florida at the end of this month.

We both feel a little more comfortable in a larger vehicle.

my brother-in-law lives out your way.... we are planning on Tennessee in April with friends, and out west to S. Dakota this fall. We love tent camping, so we don't need a bigger vehicle - and the worse gas mileage. Being retired rocks !

On 2/15/2021 at 8:37 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

Well at least down here this winter. About a month ago we had the most snow I've ever seen in Central Texas in my lifetime, about 4 inches. Then this week we had an "ice event" where we got very thick ice on all our trees, roads, etc. So much so that I went outside and hacked off several very big live oak limbs which were threatening to topple 2-3 trees onto the house. Each one individually with all that ice weighed about 300-400 lbs. They were the ones that were near horizontal that I felt might crack the main trunk with the 16-18 mph north winds we got on top of the ice storm. Then last night we made it all the way to 6F with about 6 inches of snow. So it just topped my previous all time snow event. And hopefully direct sunlight may help us some today and tomorrow though we expect only 21F today and 31F tomorrow. Needs to because they are predicting another freezing rain ice event Wed. early am for several hours. Anyway I've got got all my outside faucets on fast drip and every few hours I go out and run them strong for about 30 seconds each. Thinking of building an igloo in the outback. It's so cold, icy and snowy that Frosty moved back across the trumpy wall down to Monterey. 🌬️❄️☃️😱🏜️

Well at least you're knowledgeable about cold weather with your trips to Colorado.  I was thinking about you and Tour with this Polar Incursion down your way.  Below freezing all the way to the Gulf?  Dallas had to be shut down. My pal's sister said they freak with an inch of snow, much less 6".  Regarding Tour's Texas Hill Winery. A lot of those vinifera vines won't survive if the temperature drops to near zero.  

I did notice several of those cold temperature records that were set go all the way back to the 1800s.  

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Well at least you're knowledgeable about cold weather with your trips to Colorado.  I was thinking about you and Tour with this Polar Incursion down your way.  Below freezing all the way to the Gulf?  Dallas had to be shut down. My pal's sister said they freak with an inch of snow, much less 6".  Regarding Tour's Texas Hill Winery. A lot of those vinifera vines won't survive if the temperature drops to near zero.  

I did notice several of those cold temperature records that were set go all the way back to the 1800s. 

We have about 3 more hours of freezing rain to go this morning with about 1/4 inch ice after 5 hours of it. Then a mix tonight, but temps at least get near 32 today and into the low 30s tomorrow. From Fri morning high teens, we finally start a warming trend with low 40mthat afternoon increasing highs daily back to our normal high 60s by Sun.Then the plumbers are in high demand for frozen pipes thawing out. Ours have made it through with me constantly adjusting drip rates to cope with almost a week of below freezing highs and lows near zero a couile or 2 nights. I've been trekking out in the wee hours to run each faucet and reset drips. Thank God I'm retired and can do that with long naps during the day. We have been more fortunate than many with longest blackout of about 5-6 hours. Some have gone for days.

2 hours ago, Vambo said:

2021-02-17_080804.thumb.png.24bd3898fa47c53bd4825b5a7e24cd62.png

Yup, a couple windmills freeze, and it's a big deal to the global warming deniers. Literally, a once in a century+ cold snap breaks records going back to 1895, so nice try that the exception proves the rule. They need to talk to the power companies in Canada, theirs work fine. :D

4 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Yup, a couple windmills freeze, and it's a big deal to the global warming deniers. Literally, a once in a century+ cold snap breaks records going back to 1895, so nice try that the exception proves the rule. They need to talk to the power companies in Canada, theirs work fine. :D

electricity_13.jpg Generation

The Canadian energy industry generated 641.1 terawatt-hours (TWh) of electricity in 2018.

generation-by-source-electricity_07-2020

I

38 minutes ago, hoorta said:

https://stopthesethings.com/2019/01/06/germanys-renewable-energy-fail-german-co2-emissions-10-times-higher-than-nuclear-powered-france/

Germany’s Renewable Energy Fail: German CO2 Emissions 10 Times Higher than Nuclear-Powered France

January 6, 2019 by stopthesethings 16 Comments

image.thumb.png.b75f5eedde4695506c91f4b1c4fe0476.png

Apart from South Australia, no country other than Germany threw more at chaotically intermittent wind and solar.

The results have been an utter debacle: Germans suffer the second highest power prices in Europe, just behind wind ‘powered’ Denmark, and those prices are rocketing north at double-digit rates. The German grid is on the brink of collapse.

And all in an effort to curb emissions of carbon dioxide gas. Leaving aside arguments about whether CO2 is a toxic pollutant or a naturally occurring beneficial trace gas which plants crave, if the primary object of Germany’s ‘transition’ to an all wind and sun powered future was cutting carbon dioxide gas emissions, the result has been a dismal failure – that’s cost Germans more than a €Trillion, so far.

By comparison, nuclear powered France enjoys power prices a fraction of those suffered by its eastern neighbour; and its CO2 emissions are tiny fraction of those being pumped out by notionally wind and solar powered Germany. Even coal-powered Poland has managed to cut it CO2 emissions faster than the ever-virtuous Germany.

Germans are being taken for dupes. And Macron is keen to take his country down the same dubious path.

Germany already knows that it will fail to achieve the CO2 emission reduction targets set for 2020, and the gap will be quite significant. That’s why it is postponing the closure of coal-fired power plants and is building Nord Stream 2, writes Józef Sobolewski, director of the Nuclear Energy Department in Poland’s Ministry of Energy. [Originally published in Wszystko Co Najważniejsze]

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

They need to talk to the power companies in Canada, theirs work fine. :D

I’m sure that whopping 2.5% Ontario gets from the combined efforts of wind & solar power are keeping the Canucks toasty warm.

CB2B40B7-F3C7-4290-98EC-15A879C74EA9.png

5 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Northeast Ohio translation

"You guys will probably need a jacket indoors today."

WSS

FIFY-and pretty much true in many homes here.

We are trying to hang in until Sat. when it gets above freezing 24 hours a day so this shit show can thaw out.Friday it finally get sunny and above freezing in the afternoon for a few hours.

27 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

FIFY-and pretty much true in many homes here.

We are trying to hang in until Sat. when it gets above freezing 24 hours a day so this shit show can thaw out.Friday it finally get sunny and above freezing in the afternoon for a few hours.

Bigger question is why can't your power grid handle the load?

2 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Politicians screwed this up big time. When it's all done and examined for the future you will find Republican total control of this state made enormous lack of funding mistakes. Only the chairs change in this state, never the party in total control. Governor and the guy in charge of the grid are going to bite the bullet on this one. But I will admit you would have to have foreseen the 100 year min-ice age on this one. Never seen it here in my lifetime.

Reminds me. Got a loss of water question for those in the frozen north. We may lose our water pressure with temps still below freezing. If we do is it best to go open the outside faucets a few minutes to drain as much as possible and then set them back on what would likely be a fast drip should we get it back?

3 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

I’m sure that whopping 2.5% Ontario gets from the combined efforts of wind & solar power are keeping the Canucks toasty warm.

And that's about the amount of energy Texas was getting from those wind turbines....  And now for the REAL reason....  

Natural gas wells and pipes ill-equipped for cold weather are a big reason why millions of Texans lost power during frigid temperatures this week. As temperatures dropped to record lows across some parts of the state, liquid inside wells, pipes, and valves froze solid.

Ice can block gas flow, clogging pipes. It’s a phenomenon called a “freeze-off” that disrupts gas production across the US every winter. But freeze-offs can have outsized effects in Texas, as we’ve seen this week. The state is a huge natural gas producer — and it doesn’t usually have to deal with such cold weather.

2 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Politicians screwed this up big time. When it's all done and examined for the future you will find Republican total control of this state made enormous lack of funding mistakes. Only the chairs change in this state, never the party in total control. Governor and the guy in charge of the grid are going to bite the bullet on this one. But I will admit you would have to have foreseen the 100 year min-ice age on this one. Never seen it here in my lifetime.

Reminds me. Got a loss of water question for those in the frozen north. We may lose our water pressure with temps still below freezing. If we do is it best to go open the outside faucets a few minutes to drain as much as possible and then set them back on what would likely be a fast drip should we get it back?

I'd say leave the faucets open if you lose pressure. 

If you have more than one bathroom-  I suggest filling one tub up with water.  Load up all the buckets you can. You might want to head to the store and get a couple gallons of suitable drinking water while you're at it.  And hope your sewer line doesn't freeze. (unlikely) You'll at least have enough water to flush your toilets... 

I say this from experience... Dayton has had two major water outages in the last couple years. First was a 48" main from the pumping station broke. (to the tune we lost 55 million gallons of treated water before they found the leak- it was under our Miami River) Second was when a tornado knocked out power to the pumping station.  

2 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Texas has it's own power grid- and as Tex said heads are going to roll over this one. Besides, as I mentioned gas lines freezing over the unprecedented cold (as much as 50 degrees below normal) my guess is- it takes a lot more electricity to produce heat than it does to power up air conditioning.  I know a thing or two about HVAC- and on the heating side- you design a system (I'll use Dayton for an example)  that you want to maintain 68 degrees when it's -5 outside.   You can bet the ranch almost ZERO heating systems in Houston were designed with an outside temperature of 15 degrees- which they hit.  Couldn't keep up, even running full blast- hence the rolling blackouts.  

I mean really- touring the neighborhoods in Houston the times I was down there for the Browns games, Houston is subtropical- there's plenty of palm trees. And they got snow and sub freezing temperatures. 

15 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I'd say leave the faucets open if you lose pressure. 

If you have more than one bathroom-  I suggest filling one tub up with water.  Load up all the buckets you can. You might want to head to the store and get a couple gallons of suitable drinking water while you're at it.  And hope your sewer line doesn't freeze. (unlikely) You'll at least have enough water to flush your toilets... 

I say this from experience... Dayton has had two major water outages in the last couple years. First was a 48" main from the pumping station broke. (to the tune we lost 55 million gallons of treated water before they found the leak- it was under our Miami River) Second was when a tornado knocked out power to the pumping station.  

Thanks for the advice. I have a septic system that goes out of the bottom of a thick foundation directly into the first tank. I have cut the electricity to the pump that takes it to the second because the first is so low with only two of us we can't possibly fill it up. Plus if we do I have an overflow built to just put it out on the side yard just in case.We have a filled bathtub of water for flushing which we do only for #2 anyway. Also several gallons of boiled water for drinking just in case. At the moment we are not on the boil your water map that has affected some parts around us. We and Sun City are on the other side of the road from the boil your water side, but we did several gallons just to be safe.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

20 years of total control. Where did you think that organization to prevent this came from anyway? We are not a whole lot different from our neighbor to the east of us.

google "texas starting go blue" for the truth about it. Republicans - NOT GREEN NEW DEAL. You support the dems who ARE GREEN NEW DEAL.

whoever went with windmills and solar panels for their grid, were at least financially addicted to the money they would make leaning alternative energy. Now, it's blown up in their faces. Or, worse, blow up into the lack of electricity in Texas, Mississippi and Minnesota.

Minnesota is very, very blue. They have the same problem. The blaming of republicans in Texas is bs. Put the blame on those who gained by supporting unproven, risky, expensive and limited alternative energy.

ObaMao's Solyndra. Look it up.

12 hours ago, hoorta said:

And that's about the amount of energy Texas was getting from those wind turbines....  And now for the REAL reason....  

Natural gas wells and pipes ill-equipped for cold weather are a big reason why millions of Texans lost power during frigid temperatures this week. As temperatures dropped to record lows across some parts of the state, liquid inside wells, pipes, and valves froze solid.

Ice can block gas flow, clogging pipes. It’s a phenomenon called a “freeze-off” that disrupts gas production across the US every winter. But freeze-offs can have outsized effects in Texas, as we’ve seen this week. The state is a huge natural gas producer — and it doesn’t usually have to deal with such cold weather.

But wait...what happened to Global Warming?

8 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

google "texas starting go blue" for the truth about it. Republicans - NOT GREEN NEW DEAL. You support the dems who ARE GREEN NEW DEAL.

whoever went with windmills and solar panels for their grid, were at least financially addicted to the money they would make leaning alternative energy. Now, it's blown up in their faces. Or, worse, blow up into the lack of electricity in Texas, Mississippi and Minnesota.

Minnesota is very, very blue. They have the same problem. The blaming of republicans in Texas is bs. Put the blame on those who gained by supporting unproven, risky, expensive and limited alternative energy.

ObaMao's Solyndra. Look it up.

100% of the problem was the refusal to tie in to the federal grid that we could tap into when gas & coal plants started closing (90%). 10% belonged to the "green" energy sources here. That was a direct result of Republican control and refusal to cooperate with federal guidelines to be a part of the federal grid. It has nothing to do with it being green new deal. Very minor part of the energy source here.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

100% of the problem was the refusal to tie in to the federal grid that we could tap into when gas & coal plants started closing (90%). 10% belonged to the "green" energy sources here. That was a direct result of Republican control and refusal to cooperate with federal guidelines to be a part of the federal grid. It has nothing to do with it being green new deal. Very minor part of the energy source here.

so it's obaMao and biden's fault. glad we finally got the blame put where it belongs, eh?

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/17/968577281/what-went-wrong-with-the-electric-grid-in-texas

"disambiguate" ? *I* never even came up with that one.......interesting read. Windmills freeze up, no sun to power the solar panels, and they still go fake "man made global warming" over every answer.

Alternative energy failed, and designers went as expensive as they could, and still hadn't accounted for

a freak once in 50? years? 100? storm that their grid wasn't designed for.

Alternate energy is not affordable large scale, not dependable, and it's a green new deal political hack ploy for emotionally manipulating for votes.

yeah. what the )(*&)& happened to the fraud that is "man made global warming" ???

6 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

But wait...what happened to Global Warming?

Please don't make me post the stats that globally, the last few years have been the warmest on record. Or the trillions of tons of polar ice that are now melting every year. Glacier NP soon to be minus it's glaciers. Yeah, a once in a 120 year cold snap outlier is the harbinger of a new Ice Age. :D

8 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Please don't make me post the stats that globally, the last few years have been the warmest on record. Or the trillions of tons of polar ice that are now melting every year. Glacier NP soon to be minus it's glaciers. Yeah, a once in a 120 year cold snap outlier is the harbinger of a new Ice Age. :D

The Arctic Ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot, according to a report to the Commerce Department yesterday from the Consulate at Bergen, Norway.

Reports from fishermen, seal hunters and explorers all point to a radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard of temperatures in the Arctic zone.

Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes.

Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the gulf stream still very warm

Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, the report continued, while at many points well known glaciers have entirely disappeared.

Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vast shoals of herring and smelts which have never before ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds.

Within a few years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will rise and make most coast cities uninhabitable.

I must apologize.

I neglected to mention that this report was from November 2, 1922 as reported by the AP and published in The Washington Post 96 years ago.

This must have been caused by Model T Ford emissions or possibly from horse farts.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1