THE BROWNS BOARD

New Ice Age!!

TexasAg1969

Well at least down here this winter. About a month ago we had the most snow I've ever seen in Central Texas in my lifetime, about 4 inches. Then this week we had an "ice event" where we got very thick ice on all our trees, roads, etc. So much so that I went outside and hacked off several very big live oak limbs which were threatening to topple 2-3 trees onto the house. Each one individually with all that ice weighed about 300-400 lbs. They were the ones that were near horizontal that I felt might crack the main trunk with the 16-18 mph north winds we got on top of the ice storm. Then last night we made it all the way to 6F with about 6 inches of snow. So it just topped my previous all time snow event. And hopefully direct sunlight may help us some today and tomorrow though we expect only 21F today and 31F tomorrow. Needs to because they are predicting another freezing rain ice event Wed. early am for several hours. Anyway I've got got all my outside faucets on fast drip and every few hours I go out and run them strong for about 30 seconds each. Thinking of building an igloo in the outback. It's so cold, icy and snowy that Frosty moved back across the trumpy wall down to Monterey. 🌬️❄️☃️😱🏜️

3 minutes ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I read about this yesterday. It’s basically an historic cold snap in Texas. Good luck Tex.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-56058372

Those pictures were taken barely into this event. It looks like I should just play this old Johnny Horton song (he was killed in a car wreck about 50 miles from here near Milano,Tx).

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

We’re currently experiencing a “Solar Minimum”.

The MMGW won’t admit that big ball of fire called the sun, ultimately determines the temps on this 3rd rock.

Exactly true. Brother in law in Fort Worth called - said -1 degree chill factor, and rolling blackouts - they lost power last night, got it back, and then it went out again. Their house is down to 58 degrees.... I hope we don't have that up here. I'll have to go restock the firewood in the rack......

1 minute ago, calfoxwc said:

Exactly true. Brother in law in Fort Worth called - said -1 degree chill factor, and rolling blackouts - they lost power last night, got it back, and then it went out again. Their house is down to 58 degrees.... I hope we don't have that up here. I'll have to go restock the firewood in the rack......

They aren't ready for the cold down there.  Up here we rarely get power outages in the winter.  

41 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

They aren't ready for the cold down there.  Up here we rarely get power outages in the winter.  

Many years ago, we were done in Texas, and went to see this really fancy shopping mall./lodge.... and it snowed a tiny bit - and a lot of kids in the open area ran out to see the snow. They were amazed to see it.

Now, they are getting a LOT of snow. and dangerously cold weather. Sadly, a lot of folks are in danger - they aren't used to those temps and the snow. Here, the worst has been a temporary blip with electricity going out.

Always fixed before ya know it. A big storm in coming in, I will be hoping for a blizzard because I will be using my beautiful cool snow blower again. lol

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

We have been lucky so far only the one outage. But my son and daughter have both been out about an hour and a half now. They both know that if it gets below 40 to go turn off the water to the house and open as many outlets as possible. They are supposed to be rolling blackouts intentionally alternated, but one friend's kid has no service for 12 hours. That does not appear to be a part of the rolling process. Anyway I drug in a bunch of firewood just in case. It's sunny but 22F which will be the high before heading back to 5F again for several hours tonight. One thing for sure is that my Subaru Outback loves this deep snow. It was me and high 4WD pickups out on the road this morning when I left to help my son unthaw 2 outside faucets.

3 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

6F last night and 5F tonight will be the two lowest I have ever seen. Same for the 6 inch snow. Never seen it here.

• Upvote 1

Our electricity was off for about 4 hours overnight. Came back on but lasts for short periods, just enough to move the inside temp from 58F to 60. They are having trouble making things roll back on apparently. We get partly cloudy and around 29F today. So decent sunshine. Will that be enough to melt some of the tree ice? I ask because they as calling for about 4-5 hours freezing rain overnight in round 3 of this thing. Trees are already just holding the load now. And I think this has killed off most of the migratory birds who were coming through and likely a lot of native birds & animals who are not made for this extended low temp stuff (5F as I type).

Well, it probably isn't good that most? folks in central/eastern  Texas don't have basements. The ground is so dry, that when it does rain, the ground dries back up and cracks - it would ruin a basement. So they are slab - and there isn't any air pocket to protect the floors from freezing at least around the edges of the houses.....

If it gets too cold, Tex, you can refer to my survival thread, build an igloo in your backyard, start a fire with a ferro rod, and drink up some pine needle tea......(also helps to put candles in depressions in the igloo walls. )

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Our electricity was off for about 4 hours overnight. Came back on but lasts for short periods, just enough to move the inside temp from 58F to 60. They are having trouble making things roll back on apparently. We get partly cloudy and around 29F today. So decent sunshine. Will that be enough to melt some of the tree ice? I ask because they as calling for about 4-5 hours freezing rain overnight in round 3 of this thing. Trees are already just holding the load now. And I think this has killed off most of the migratory birds who were coming through and likely a lot of native birds & animals who are not made for this extended low temp stuff (5F as I type).

Joe Biden and the green new deal will have you fixed up in no time, Joe will solve all of your problems never fear.

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Also:

Probably a good idea to leave the garage door up if you're going to sleep in the car with the motor running. Word to the wise tex.

WSS

So far we are getting just enough attempts at restoring electricity for my heating system to keep it around 58-62 inside the house. I have a bunch of firewood that I brought in for our fireplace as an ace in the hole if we start to get closer to 40F. Plus (and I know this will be hard to believe) I had enough foresight to keep about half a cord under a large plastic tarp held down on the edges for some two year old firewood that is well dried out enough to burn easy. My son and I used hot water poured over an outside faucet of his to free it up enough to put on a far faster dripping speed, so now it's fine. We may hit above freezing tomorrow which well help get the thaw started. In the upper 50s by Sat. Back to the normal upper 50s & 60s beyond that. I

I'm keeping water in the garage to know whether it starts to freeze. I have a water pipe to an outside faucet that shares and inner wall in there with a bedroom. I keep that pipe on a higher drip and it's been fine. Now an then I flush all four outdoor faucets for about 30 seconds just to be certain. So far they are fine with a drip per second rate.

That Subaru was a champ in the snow to go help my son out. Just saw other Subarus and trucks with 4WD and monster tires.

Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated, even the igloo. But we would settle for taking a fully gassed up Subaru for a nice warm winter drive.😁LOL!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

So far we are getting just enough attempts at restoring electricity for my heating system to keep it around 58-62 inside the house. I have a bunch of firewood that I brought in for our fireplace as an ace in the hole if we start to get closer to 40F. Plus (and I know this will be hard to believe) I had enough foresight to keep about half a cord under a large plastic tarp held down on the edges for some two year old firewood that is well dried out enough to burn easy. My son and I used hot water poured over an outside faucet of his to free it up enough to put on a far faster dripping speed, so now it's fine. We may hit above freezing tomorrow which well help get the thaw started. In the upper 50s by Sat. Back to the normal upper 50s & 60s beyond that. I

I'm keeping water in the garage to know whether it starts to freeze. I have a water pipe to an outside faucet that shares and inner wall in there with a bedroom. I keep that pipe on a higher drip and it's been fine. Now an then I flush all four outdoor faucets for about 30 seconds just to be certain. So far they are fine with a drip per second rate.

That Subaru was a champ in the snow to go help my son out. Just saw other Subarus and trucks with 4WD and monster tires.

I've been a Subaru devotee since 1998 the only new car I ever purchased. I got three hundred thousand plus miles out of her.

On the other hand we have this kind of shit on and off all winter hahaha.

WSS

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

I've been a Subaru devotee since 1998 the only new car I ever purchased. I got three hundred thousand plus miles out of her.

WSS

I have the 2021 Crosstrek limited with the bigger 2.5 engine.  Even with stock all season tires it is great in the snow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

I was a Toyota fan for 30 years and bought a 2016 Subaru Crosstrek.

The old lady was always driving it and loved it.

She went out and bought a 2021 Ascent just before Christmas, and that’s her baby.

24 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Hey I Just shoveled the walk. ❄😁👍

WSS

And I raked up about 20 30+ gal bags of leaves and filled about 20 more loads in my wheelbarrow and took them to the Outback. At least all that ice then snow and then freezing rain will water the yard really well when it all melts. Too bad I had not put fertilizer down yet.

1 minute ago, Canton Dawg said:

I was a Toyota fan for 30 years and bought a 2016 Subaru Crosstrek.

The old lady was always driving it and loved it.

She went out and bought a 2021 Ascent just before Christmas, and that’s her baby.

After driving mine in all kinds of deep snow when she borrowed it for a Colorado family ski trip, my daughter and son in law came back and bought an Ascent as well. They have a trip planned to Monarch ski area in Colo. over spring break. She loves that thing. Says using mine in those conditions sold her immediately.

12 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

After driving mine in all kinds of deep snow when she borrowed it for a Colorado family ski trip, my daughter and son in law came back and bought an Ascent as well. They have a trip planned to Monarch ski area in Colo. over spring break. She loves that thing. Says using mine in those conditions sold her immediately.

I’ve recently retired, and the wife bought the Ascent for some long vacation road trips.

She’s currently got us heading to Tennessee, Alabama, and Florida at the end of this month.

We both feel a little more comfortable in a larger vehicle.