THE BROWNS BOARD

JJ Watt to Cardinals

Silver slayer

6 minutes ago, Silver slayer said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/jj-watt-not-interested-in-steelers

Not that they ever entered the equation for him

Had me worried there for a minute...

According to Tony Grossi of ESPN 850 in Cleveland, defensive end J.J. Watt is not interested in playing with his brothers T.J. and Derek in Pittsburgh as a member of the Steelers.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Had me worried there for a minute...

So is grossi ever right about anything? I feel like when he says something the opposite is always true. I’m not saying I expect jj or even want him unless it’s on a reeeeealy inexpensive deal but grossi like he usually does is trying to win the clickbait war. Do journalists actually do their job anymore? The majority in Pittsburgh are fucking horrid too. The best steeler coverage is a small operation that gets most of its engagement on Twitter. God the media is just a fucking joke anymore. It’s nauseating. I remember feeling like I could trust the news. How long ago was that now? 20 years? Fuck!

and he has at least two reasons to be interested in the Steelers. Grossi needs to be taken out to pasture. I have a few in pittsburgh we can send out too so he’s not lonely.

On 2/13/2021 at 7:46 PM, Vagitron said:

So is grossi ever right about anything? I feel like when he says something the opposite is always true. I’m not saying I expect jj or even want him unless it’s on a reeeeealy inexpensive deal but grossi like he usually does is trying to win the clickbait war. Do journalists actually do their job anymore? The majority in Pittsburgh are fucking horrid too. The best steeler coverage is a small operation that gets most of its engagement on Twitter. God the media is just a fucking joke anymore. It’s nauseating. I remember feeling like I could trust the news. How long ago was that now? 20 years? Fuck!

and he has at least two reasons to be interested in the Steelers. Grossi needs to be taken out to pasture. I have a few in pittsburgh we can send out too so he’s not lonely.

Feel better now?

My name is Tour and I am here to help...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/13/2021 at 8:46 PM, Vagitron said:

God the media is just a fucking joke anymore. It’s nauseating. I remember feeling like I could trust the news. How long ago was that now?

Weapons of Mass Destruction is one of the several indefensible lies, but the following items are some of the many reasons for lack of trust of media.  Much like the reasons for the 07 crash, there isn't one precise cause.  If you haven't seen FTFNYT before.. it's not partisan.

1) Money in politics -- Link goes over the 7 supreme court cases starting with 1976 Buckley v Valeo ending w 2014 McCutcheon v FEC, each of them terrible in their own way and the decision always said "This will surely not lead to corruption because" word salad intentional lies.

2) Rescinding of the Fairness Doctrine by Reagan's FCC.

3) Removal in 2003 of rules preventing consolidation of media ownership.  

Goal of media would be to report the news fully, accurately, and fairly.

(1,3) Corporate cash keeps some stories squashed [what's the definition of "win" in afghanistan?] and others promoted.  (2) Accuracy of what is reported is ridiculously off -- not because newsmen are inherently bought, but because when there's an opening, the person gets selected [Brian Stelter @ CNN for example] because their personality can't conceive of the possibility of questioning the spin as told to them by company leadership.

Noam Chomsky's Manufacturing Consent covers this topic in more detail - the "propaganda model of communication" is explained.  [Available as a PDF]

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Weapons of Mass Destruction is one of the several indefensible lies, but the following items are some of the many reasons for lack of trust of media.  Much like the reasons for the 07 crash, there isn't one precise cause.  If you haven't seen FTFNYT before.. it's not partisan.

1) Money in politics -- Link goes over the 7 supreme court cases starting with 1976 Buckley v Valeo ending w 2014 McCutcheon v FEC, each of them terrible in their own way and the decision always said "This will surely not lead to corruption because" word salad intentional lies.

2) Rescinding of the Fairness Doctrine by Reagan's FCC.

3) Removal in 2003 of rules preventing consolidation of media ownership.  

Goal of media would be to report the news fully, accurately, and fairly.

(1,3) Corporate cash keeps some stories squashed [what's the definition of "win" in afghanistan?] and others promoted.  (2) Accuracy of what is reported is ridiculously off -- not because newsmen are inherently bought, but because when there's an opening, the person gets selected [Brian Stelter @ CNN for example] because their personality can't conceive of the possibility of questioning the spin as told to them by company leadership.

Noam Chomsky's Manufacturing Consent covers this topic in more detail - the "propaganda model of communication" is explained.  [Available as a PDF]

Hmm,  maybe  all these decisions and ruling should be reversed or rescinded so that "we could go back to the way things used to be so we can "make America great again"...like it used to be?   It used to be that we had a Federal Estate Tax that started for anyone that had a Gross Estate of  $600,000.00. (25,000.00 for the Ohio Estate Tax....now completely eliminated)   Funny that those all the desire for that kind of nostalgia gives no thought to what that kind of retrogression would be attendant with. 

14 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

There could be mutual interest there.  Report say Watt seriously considering Browns:

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-j-j-watt-seriously-153923165.html

I Just saw that article.  Get it done!!!!

The Browns have three big things going for them.  1. Contender  2. They have a money (for a one year deal). 3. Play opposite of Myles Garrett. 

I made a point that was shot down weeks ago.  CLE and Pitt are two hours apart.  Completely feasible to meet during the football season and stay connected to family. 

The Browns money situation Gets murkier in 2022.  Maybe JJ is looking down the road at that point with playing alongside family. 

He can make more money this season and have a better shot at winning in 2021 and then play alongside his brothers in 2022 -  When the Steelers have transitioned to the next QB and may have better pieces and more cap. 

I would bring in JJ and then draft an understudy early and they can platoon at the Other DE spot next season.  Woods system needs dudes upfront that can create pressure- he doesn’t want to bring safeties or backers often. 

54 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I Just saw that article.  Get it done!!!!

The Browns have three big things going for them.  1. Contender  2. They have a money (for a one year deal). 3. Play opposite of Myles Garrett. 

I made a point that was shot down weeks ago.  CLE and Pitt are two hours apart.  Completely feasible to meet during the football season and stay connected to family. 

The Browns money situation Gets murkier in 2022.  Maybe JJ is looking down the road at that point with playing alongside family. 

He can make more money this season and have a better shot at winning in 2021 and then play alongside his brothers in 2022 -  When the Steelers have transitioned to the next QB and may have better pieces and more cap. 

I would bring in JJ and then draft an understudy early and they can platoon at the Other DE spot next season.  Woods system needs dudes upfront that can create pressure- he doesn’t want to bring safeties or backers often. 

I think our biggest competition  is Green Bay.  They too, obviously are a contender.  I don't know about their money situation, but I have not heard that it may be a big impediment...maybe someone knows.    They don't have a Myles Garrett,  but they are decent on the DL      But then, you talk about family.  His parents live in Pewaukee Wisc....as suburb of  Milwaukee.   And which is actually closer to Green Bay that Pittsburgh is to Cleveland. 

42 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I think our biggest competition  is Green Bay.  They too, obviously are a contender.  I don't know about their money situation, but I have not heard that it may be a big impediment...maybe someone knows.    They don't have a Myles Garrett,  but they are decent on the DL      But then, you talk about family.  His parents live in Pewaukee Wisc....as suburb of  Milwaukee.   And which is actually closer to Green Bay that Pittsburgh is to Cleveland. 

They are a huge contender for his services.

I think their cap situation although not good it is not Steeler bad. 

The biggest misconception in this process is he has to go to Pittsburgh right away.  I think he ends of playing with the Brothers but why can’t he earn a little more dough and have a better contending situation on 2021.  

It feels great to believe and have some proof we’ve overtaken Pitt.- doesn’t it? 

49 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

The biggest misconception in this process is he has to go to Pittsburgh right away.  I think he ends of playing with the Brothers but why can’t he earn a little more dough and have a better contending situation on 2021.  

It feels great to believe and have some proof we’ve overtaken Pitt.- doesn’t it? 

And hell, what is to say that Pittsburgh  could not lose TJ Watt.

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Report say Watt seriously considering Browns:

Why not right?  He'd have Myles on the other side.  That would, in theory, increase Watt's ability to make plays.

...he may not sign with us, but it's no longer because we're the NFL's Siberia.  Say what ya want about Dorsey and his disdain for reams of analytics and his Kitchens blunder, he brought in some 'real football players', like Landry, Chubb, Mayfield and OBJ, to load up the offensive.  Make no mistake, it was the offense that got us to the playoffs, thanks to Doresy.....and Berry's contribution of a LT and TE's.

That's how you get to the playoffs.  Have a really good offense.

But now, we want to win a championship don't we.  Well, THIS is when the term Defense Wins Championships comes into play.  Once your offense is good enough to Get you to the playoffs, you need a defense to get you the championships.  

Adding a JJ Watt, a man with something to prove, could really help.  As Joe Banner said, Today's game is pass and rush the passer.  In order to beat Joe Borrow, Mahomes, Josh Allen, we're going to have to rush the passer.

9 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Because he doesn't have that many years left and he doesn't need the money.

But hey... what do I know except that now the source for reports of all this interest JJ has in us is coming from MKC... ;)

The Cleveland Browns seem to be telling anyone willing to listen they are interested in free agent defensive end J.J. Watt. They are noting that it depends on factors like cost, but they are making sure everyone knows they are looking at him, which is a message to fans, but more importantly other prospective free agents.

Josina Anderson is the latest to report the Browns interest, but Mary Kay Cabot of cleveland.com has also reported on it.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/browns-loudly-interested-in-watt

26 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

But hey... what do I know except that now the source for reports of all this interest JJ has in us is coming from MKC... ;)

Gross and MKC need to find a uninhabited island and just try to one up each other with the local wildlife on who can break the worst take first. Why does every city have to have a couple? In Pittsburgh we have more than a few I can’t stand but the two main dipshits are Andrew Filliponi and the other is mark madden. It’s endless streams of nonsensical bs for clicks.

1 hour ago, Vagitron said:

Gross and MKC need to find a uninhabited island and just try to one up each other with the local wildlife on who can break the worst take first. Why does every city have to have a couple? In Pittsburgh we have more than a few I can’t stand but the two main dipshits are Andrew Filliponi and the other is mark madden. It’s endless streams of nonsensical bs for clicks.

It will be funny when he signs with the Browns and both Grossi and Mary Kay are proven right....and the little K-hole here will have a pussy fit. 

13 hours ago, The Gipper said:

All true. I'm not sure he has much left, anyways.   

Gumby's source-less 🤓 sources thinks..

1) Green Bay  2) Browns  3) Colts  4) Bills

2 Sleepers--- Miami - got cap/coaching/ tax free state /QB?)  WFT- got cap/ coaching / Chase Young/ QB? 

Disqualifying coaching dramas of Vrabel/ Harbaugh & Tomlin...

3 hours ago, gumby73 said:

2 Sleepers--- Miami - got cap/coaching/ tax free state /QB?)  WFT- got cap/ coaching / Chase Young/ QB? 

I would definitely put the Steelers in the mix.  It is reported he’s in no hurry- translation to me is “GB, Pitt. Fix your cap and come get me”.  I think we are sitting third.

I think the Bears are a dark horse too. 

12 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Yeah he doesn’t need the money (probably) but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t want money.  

Yeah I don’t have a ton of confidence in our beat writers either but there are some compelling arguments on him being a Brown.

Hes 32.  I don’t think He’s fallen off a cliff.  He’s not that far removed from his peak.  I could see him playing 2-3 more years. 

4 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Vrabel?  I have heard of no real drama involving Vrabel.    And by Harbaugh....Jim, sure, a  major drama queen.  But John seems to be a solid dude.  Last time I heard John was still the only Harbaugh coaching in the NFL. 

Although the Browns do make the most sense in many ways I don't consider that there is any more knowledge about the situation than a week ago. "Browns are seriously being considered"? Of course they are. They are putting more than $10 million on the table. Any team that makes a serious offer will be seriously considered. That's different from being a favorite, however. And she most likely got her info from either the Browns, who have no idea what other teams are offering at this point, or from Watt's agent, who has an interest in having her spread the story. And wow has this story grown. Based purely on speculation.

On 2/16/2021 at 12:50 PM, SdBacker80 said:

The Packers are about 19 million over the cap, so you would think they would have to clear around 30 million just to get Watt on the team if the cap number doesn't go up a lot. Seems like a stretch.

31 minutes ago, runyon27 said:

The Packers are about 19 million over the cap, so you would think they would have to clear around 30 million just to get Watt on the team if the cap number doesn't go up a lot. Seems like a stretch.

It is a stretch if he wants to be paid + be in the right spot. 

Some have suggested he would take a discount for the Steelers maybe you throw GB into that mix too? 

Per Field Yates on  ESPN,   the Browns have a couple of  things that most of the other teams in competition for Watt do not have:

1. A contending team

2. Ample money to pay him.  

There is the perception that Pitt may have neither.  Green Bay may not have the $$.   As far as the Titans,  Chiefs, Bills....other teams supposedly in contention....while they are contenders may or may not have the money.  (some contend that the Browns don't have the money....I guess they can go argue with Field Yates).   One other team that may crop up as a contender:   The Rams.   Watt and  Aaron Donald on the same DL?  New QB situation with Stafford?   May be enticing to him.

If we are expecting him to play 80% of snaps and at a Pro Bowl level.  Unreasonable. 

He’s not going to paid like that either.

Pitch count + a promising rookie + gustin = step in the right direction. 

We could pay 12-15 per year for 4-5 years for a younger less accomplished version of JJ Watt.  Not ideal given our future extensions we need