THE BROWNS BOARD

JJ Watt to Cardinals

Silver slayer

True that this past season was his first in 5?7? where he played all 16, he remains pretty good.  Not greatly better than Olivier Vernon.

New site linked for this forum.. sports injury predictor for JJ watt suggests he's expected to miss 5 games to injury next year. Also lists his entire injury history.

Play against his brothers? lol...

Yeah he'd be opposite Derek for about 4 plays twice a season... what an inducement.

Hey, Gip...

Double or nothing for that $100 you owe me? I'll take PTG and you can have the other 31 teams.

I'm interested in the Watt wants to win where watch...

Going home to Green Bay with Rogers is his best landing spot imo.. a mere minus -28M over the cap

I'd really hate the Steelers... a mere minus -30M over the cap 

stay tuned & Why not us ?

17 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Going home to Green Bay with Rogers is his best landing spot imo.. a mere minus -28M over the cap

Good possibility be sure...

On 1/21/2021 at 5:26 PM, runyon27 said:

When I watched JJ play this last season, he looked like an average to slightly above average DL. Those injuries have taken a toll on him and he isn't the same player anymore. No way would I trade for him. I rather pay OV to come back for one year then take Watt.

He was 8th in qb pressures. He wasn’t average. 

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Play against his brothers? lol...

Yeah he'd be opposite Derek for about 4 plays twice a season... what an inducement.

Hey, Gip...

Double or nothing for that $100 you owe me? I'll take PTG and you can have the other 31 teams.

Your expertis at cullionocity is on display. 

But  if it is a wager that you actually want to make an agreement on:   I will do it  for my usual wager:    a hot fudge sundae. 

Now...you see this is  how this works, and to quote Denzel, I will explain it to you like you are a 4th grader, which may be apt: 

You have invited me to make a   wager on a particular matter. (you wanna bet?)  Now, I have proposed to accept your invitation  to make a wager (OK, I will bet) .... but I have rejected your terms (that were never in place in the first place)  .....and I have proposed the alternate  terms of that wager:   a hot fudge sundae being the stakes. 

Now, it is up to you to accept and agree to those terms.    If JJ Watt signs with the Steelers, you win the hot fudge sundae.  If he signs with any other team, I win it.   If you do not accept (as I did not on that other thing) there is no wager, no contract. No one gets anything. 

See, now, this is a pretty simple legal construct that maybe even you can comprehend.  (maybe 60/40). 

The ball is in your court

Gipper you are on ignore. I feel like you think we are communicating via smoke signals or something. It’s just a pile of your bs burning. I didn’t send up the plume. You should just put me on ignore too, spare yourself the constant heartache. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

Gipper you are on ignore. I feel like you think we are communicating via smoke signals or something. It’s just a pile of your bs burning. I didn’t send up the plume. You should just put me on ignore too, spare yourself the constant heartache. 

This guy is an ignoramous that just doesn't get it.    Again, I make commentary on sports here for the entire group's edification, not his.  He  occasionally may  bring up a subject that bears specific subject commentary upon...like, say, Steeler's cap issues  , but that commentary is  not specifically directed at him.  He, personally,   is irrelevant. 

And, if he were not such a Fucktard, he would have noted that there was that specific invitation to me to make a wager.  So I responded to that direct question.   I don't have either of them on ignore, because I am not craven.

And...another thing:

If they have me on "Ignore", then why can't they ignore me?   As you all can tell, I certainly have no need to engage in repartee with them.....except, as I said, to comment on the substance of a post they make that may warrant commentary.    Yet every other post they make is about the fact that they have me on ignore. Curiouser and Curiouser.   I guess they can't really exist here without me. 

3 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

9417FC3F-8606-4B84-B5E7-8BD1E4E18A44.png

Well, again, someone needs to explain the whole cap situation.   Unsymp says the Browns have no room. And even with the retirements of  McDonald, Pouncey, and if BR takes a vast pay cut, that still does not get the Steelers to the cap break even point.   I don't know about the other teams above here. 

So...how is that all going to work for someone that has no cap space? 

7 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Well, again, someone needs to explain the whole cap situation.   Unsymp says the Browns have no room. And even with the retirements of  McDonald, Pouncey, and if BR takes a vast pay cut, that still does not get the Steelers to the cap break even point.   I don't know about the other teams above here. 

At this point how many teams will be willing to give Watt a long term deal? My guess is none.  One year rent a player deal with a lot of incentives. 

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

1. The Browns MAY spend unused cap from the previous year.  We have a lot.  

2. They don’t have to extend any player of Major significance in the 2021 offseason.

3. They don’t have to extend any player of major significance but they have to be mindful of the players they sign in 2021 and how their cap numbers (if we sign anyone beyond a one year deal) may play out in 2022, 2023 and down the road when we need to sign our own and Garrett’s cap number is more of a burden.  

Watt on a one year deal mentoring the 6-7 rookies we draft is not a bad situation. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

We will see.  I think he goes to the right team before he takes a 2 - 3 year offer from a team like Broncos, Bengals, etc. 

I’m not sure he would want to sign with the likes of Denver or Cincy.

If he wanted to play for a basement dwelling team, it would’ve made sense to stay with the Texans.

From SI......

HOME SWEET HOME..... just a thought ?

It is common for aging superstars in all pro sports to want to live out a childhood fantasy and play for the team they rooted for as a child. Watt has spent his entire pro career in Houston, which is more than 1,100 miles from his hometown of Pewaukee, Wisc. and from Madison, Wisc., where he played college football.

It would make perfect sense if he wanted to move back north and get back in touch with his roots.

Best fit: Green Bay. He grew up a Packers fan, and Green Bay is about 130 miles from home. If this is what he wants, it’s no contest.

From FanNation...... another thought ?

Moreover, the Packers’ salary-cap problems have been well documented. The Packers are $28.2 million over a projected cap of $180.5 million, according to OverTheCap.com. While the cap might very well be greater, whatever the number, the Packers have the fifth-worst cap situation in the NFL. So, Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst and cap guru Russ Ball have a lot of work to do just to get below the cap for the start of the league-year on March 17, let alone carving out space for the five-time All-Pro or wrestling with internal free agents such as running back Aaron Jones and center Corey Linsley (from Boardman Ohio)

3 minutes ago, Mr. Make-Believe said:

I know it's not likely... But I would lose it if he signed in Cleveland. Watt and Garrett together? Lights OUT. 

Too good to be true...... maybe not if he wants to go with a contender -and- cap friendly.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Well there's the kicker. He will only sign with someone who offers a multi-year deal IMO.

There's always the 3-year deal with mutual options after each year.

3 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

1. The Browns MAY spend unused cap from the previous year.  We have a lot.  

True, but as explained repeatedly it's money that has accumulated from being under the cap so long and once used is gone forever.

So do you spend a chunk of it on Watt?

If you believe that JJ is the one player between you and the SB, then, and only then, you do.

It seems to me, fair to say,   that  one of the Browns goals this offseason is to  shore up the defensive line somehow.    And, perhaps, a more sure way to do that is to bring in a proven veteran,  while also keeping options open to drafting a player there. 

Would there be a more sure option out there than bringing in JJ Watt? 

Or, are there some other FA  Defensive Linemen out there that would be  a better choice?   Either from the talent/production standpoint....or the monetary standpoint?   Names? 

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

True, but as explained repeatedly it's money that has accumulated from being under the cap so long and once used is gone forever.

So do you spend a chunk of it on Watt?

If you believe that JJ is the one player between you and the SB, then, and only then, you do.

It will be interesting, because of how they will approach the impending contracts for Ward, Baker and Chubb. Will they defer that to next off season or do it now. I would like JJ at the right price, I think he would help and allow is to use the draft to address the LB situation and adding DBs. Of course if one of the Tampa LBs becomes available that would change things.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

It seems to me, fair to say,   that  one of the Browns goals this offseason is to  shore up the defensive line somehow.    And, perhaps, a more sure way to do that is to bring in a proven veteran,  while also keeping options open to drafting a player there. 

Would there be a more sure option out there than bringing in JJ Watt? 

Or, are there some other FA  Defensive Linemen out there that would be  a better choice?   Either from the talent/production standpoint....or the monetary standpoint?   Names? 

I don’t think there are better options when considering our long term constraints (locking up our own talent)

Ngakeou, Hendrickson maybe Leonard Williams.    Based on history they will all command longer term deals. 

Maybe Ryan Kerrigan?  

These are all 10-15M year type guys the first group probably gets longer deals-  I don’t think the Browns want to be locked up with someone down the road like that.

Food for thought and before people jump on me for being crazy.

We draft a guy like Kadrius Toney WR UF.  We get calls for OBJ deal him for a 2nd.  We save 15M.  We have 2,2,3,3,4,4 to fix the defense.  Plus We got some cash freed up to get an impact veteran on the Dline. 

Losing Njoku saves 6M too.

9 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Food for thought and before people jump on me for being crazy.

We draft a guy like Kadrius Toney WR UF.  We get calls for OBJ deal him for a 2nd.  We save 15M.  We have 2,2,3,3,4,4 to fix the defense.  Plus We got some cash freed up to get an impact veteran on the Dline. 

I do not hate this idea at all.