THE BROWNS BOARD

JJ Watt to Cardinals

Silver slayer

3 minutes ago, Silver slayer said:

Rumors about Houston tearing the roster  down to rebuild. 

If watt hits the trading block?

What would you trade for him?

I don't know how much he's got left. Plus, he makes around $16 million a year. I don't think he'd fit the analytics but what do I know?

My hunch is he'll try to get with his brothers in Pittsburgh. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Silver slayer said:

Rumors about Houston tearing the roster  down to rebuild. 

If watt hits the trading block?

What would you trade for him?

Draft pick.  3rd or a 4th.  Houston needs picks.

He fits into our short term cap space and his deal expires after next season 

Steelers no way no how.  No cap room.

23 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Draft pick.  3rd or a 4th.  Houston needs picks.

He fits into our short term cap space and his deal expires after next season 

Steelers no way no how.  No cap room.

Personnel wise... Damn, JJ would be a great addition in replacing OV while we keep our edge depth roll players.

Would allow this draft and next to turn over late round rocks in hoping we find cheap(er) youth. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, tiamat63 said:

Personnel wise... Damn, JJ would be a great addition in replacing OV while we keep our edge depth roll players.

Would allow this draft and next to turn over late round rocks in hoping we find cheap(er) youth. 

I love the idea honestly.   We have 9 picks this year.  I don’t think adding 9 rookies to a team that is ready to contend for the title is the solution.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bob806 said:

I don't know how much he's got left. Plus, he makes around $16 million a year. I don't think he'd fit the analytics but what do I know?

Pittsburgh cannot be signing anyone like JJ Watt.  Hell, they are so far over the cap they may have to get rid of TJ Watt!     Well....not really.  He is the last guy they would trade.  They would dump BR first along with half their OL and DB.  

As I see it....only maybe  3 players from that team will be impervious from salary cap cuts:    TJ Watt;  Claypool;  Minkah. ...and maybe Heyward. maybe DeCastro.   

With 9 picks in a contending team, these kind of 1 year signs make a lot of sense. And having more rotation in the Dline is welcome.

He won't be asked to carry the weigh of the defense here and he has surprised me with his gameplay after all the injuries he has been through. 

When I watched JJ play this last season, he looked like an average to slightly above average DL. Those injuries have taken a toll on him and he isn't the same player anymore. No way would I trade for him. I rather pay OV to come back for one year then take Watt.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Pittsburgh cannot be signing anyone like JJ Watt.  Hell, they are so far over the cap they may have to get rid of TJ Watt!     Well....not really.  He is the last guy they would trade.  They would dump BR first along with half their OL and DB.  

As I see it....only maybe  3 players from that team will be impervious from salary cap cuts:    TJ Watt;  Claypool;  Minkah. ...and maybe Heyward. maybe DeCastro.   

They did just sign Haskins. Maybe he could replace.................. LMAO

I couldn’t even finish the sentence 

7 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Nailed it... and I'm not saying that just because I've posted the same here and there...

Mostly because, but not just because... ;)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Nailed it... and I'm not saying that just because I've posted the same here and there...

Mostly because, but not just because... ;)

Haha...I must have missed your post(s) on JJ Watt....

The D line is definitely important, and all teams including the Browns are always looking to improve. If the Browns are to upgrade their D with trades or FA acquisitions, I'd think most of us agree they'd look at the LB spots or secondary as priorities right now over the D line.

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Never thought of that, meaning the Steelers & the cap. So yeah, Pittsburgh sounds like they are heading to cap hell.

During many NFL broadcasts they kept mentioning how the cap will go down. I'm just wondering if the league & union are able to open up talks about that. The uncertainty of the pandemic probably means management wouldn't be willing to, with the possibility of no fans again. 

1 hour ago, Bob806 said:

Never thought of that, meaning the Steelers & the cap. So yeah, Pittsburgh sounds like they are heading to cap hell.

During many NFL broadcasts they kept mentioning how the cap will go down. I'm just wondering if the league & union are able to open up talks about that. The uncertainty of the pandemic probably means management wouldn't be willing to, with the possibility of no fans again. 

I don’t think the cap is going down, I think it’s going to hover around 200. The Steelers will likely use qualifying contracts which are voidable. I expect Ben to take a pay cut. Definitely going to lose some players. The Steelers also don’t need jj watt but don’t be shocked if he takes a massive discount to play with his brothers. He’s made his money. I don’t think he really cares about it to that degree anymore and as a likable guy I won’t be shocked to see him transition to broadcasting or just go hard on post retirement endorsements like brett Favre. 

29 minutes ago, Vagitron said:

I don’t think the cap is going down, I think it’s going to hover around 200. The Steelers will likely use qualifying contracts which are voidable. I expect Ben to take a pay cut. Definitely going to lose some players. The Steelers also don’t need jj watt but don’t be shocked if he takes a massive discount to play with his brothers. He’s made his money. I don’t think he really cares about it to that degree anymore and as a likable guy I won’t be shocked to see him transition to broadcasting or just go hard on post retirement endorsements like brett Favre. 

So?  He has more than one brother playing for the Steelers?  He may take a big cut to do that....but,  I hear that the Steelers may have to completely gut that team.   I don't know....he may like his brothers...and they will always be his brothers....but I doubt he will want to play for next to nothing. 

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

So?  He has more than one brother playing for the Steelers?  He may take a big cut to do that....but,  I hear that the Steelers may have to completely gut that team.   I don't know....he may like his brothers...and they will always be his brothers....but I doubt he will want to play for next to nothing. 

Depends on whether other offers are any better. Recent injury history and aftereffects seems like a big red flag unless you need him one year only. Even then he might take far less per year for a multi-year contract.

Love JJ.... at one time there was no more dominant Defensive force in the game. He did things I never saw before, but...

... he's a 10-yr vet on the downside of his career who in 2020 managed to have his second healthy season in his last five. And it paled in comparison to his 2018 comeback year... when he played opposite Clowney.

Now maybe that's an argument for moving heaven and earth to line him opposite MG, but first you have to trade for him (apparently he does not have a "no-trade" clause). And then you are getting him on a one-year deal for a mere $17.5mm.

image.png.12f1ff5d62a0d26aa85e263c4aa32973.png

If he signs with a team at a discount, they'll get real value... even at say $10mm/yr. But the list of teams for whom he might be willing to do that is a list of one... and it ain't us.

image.png.c76af7e5fbd315b1d3ee0155c1d1e7bc.png

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Vagitron said:

I read somewhere the cap was heading to around $175 million in 2021, down from the present $198 million. If I find it, I'll post it (CBS sports I think).

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Love JJ.... at one time there was no more dominant Defensive force in the game. He did things I never saw before, but...

... he's a 10-yr vet on the downside of his career who in 2020 managed to have his second healthy season in his last five. And it paled in comparison to his 2018 comeback year... when he played opposite Clowney.

Now maybe that's an argument for moving heaven and earth to line him opposite MG, but first you have to trade for him (apparently he does not have a "no-trade" clause). And then you are getting him on a one-year deal for a mere $17.5mm.

image.png.12f1ff5d62a0d26aa85e263c4aa32973.png

If he signs with a team at a discount, they'll get real value... even at say $10mm/yr. But the list of teams for whom he might be willing to do that is a list of one... and it ain't us.

image.png.c76af7e5fbd315b1d3ee0155c1d1e7bc.png

Why do you say not us?

Have we removed the stigma?

Is playing alongside Myles not enticing?

He grew up in the Midwest and his Brothers would be 2 hours away in Pitt.  It’s short term too if he doesn’t like it- he can say Bye

17M is a lot but our short term cap number is not the issue (unlike most teams). 22/23/24 we start getting into Myles big number, Baker, etc.   Watt will be coaching Dline for Wisconsin then 

1 hour ago, Bob806 said:

I read somewhere the cap was heading to around $175 million in 2021, down from the present $198 million. If I find it, I'll post it (CBS sports I think).

Looks like it’s going to be 180.

4 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Why do you say not us?

Have we removed the stigma?

Is playing alongside Myles not enticing?

He grew up in the Midwest and his Brothers would be 2 hours away in Pitt.  It’s short term too if he doesn’t like it- he can say Bye

17M is a lot but our short term cap number is not the issue (unlike most teams). 22/23/24 we start getting into Myles big number, Baker, etc.   Watt will be coaching Dline for Wisconsin then 

He's meaning team that he would be willing to take a massive pay cut to play for.