THE BROWNS BOARD

JJ Watt to Cardinals

Silver slayer

1 minute ago, Barry said:

Glad to see he is chasing the ring. With the 49ers, Rams and Seahawks in their division the Cardinals won't smell playoffs.

Yeah I do not understand this move one bit. This isn't playing for a contender, this is a money grab. But if its just a money grab, then why leave Houston. Yeah the Cardinals are a better team, but they aren't smelling an NFC Championship let alone a SB anytime soon.

Cards have their QB and a first-ballot HOF-level WR.. whether they have the right OL, defense and coaches in place to make a run of any sort is a different thread altogether.

Now we can close this thread and move to the business of actual championship contenders => signing free agents with good value to affordable contracts so that the backups can perform when called upon to keep next year's run on the tracks.

• Upvote 1

Watt took the place that at least had a blueprint for success and offered him the most money. Murray somewhat quietly showed regression in a lot of areas last year, so we shall see. 

I hope everyone here realizes that $23 million guaranteed for a 32 year old DE who objectively has shown decline in health and stats was not it for this club. We have way too many young guys to pay for that short term cap struggle.

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I don’t see that is chasing a ring I see it is chasing  the money

That's what I was implying. Maybe my posting is off still from looking at Hilton all night. And no, I don't mean Mike. 😁

5 hours ago, Bob806 said:

JJ Watt just signed with the Cardinals, 2 years @$31 million. 

Glad that's over.

More $$$ than I thought and to play with a team I never thought about...

Just like Grossi and MKC. :D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jrb12711 said:

Murray somewhat quietly showed regression in a lot of areas last year,

My impression as well, but hos statline doesn't support this view...

image.thumb.png.ad49c622a3f73bd43c7fe10a874299f7.png

What we, or at least I, also forget is AZ improved its record last season... from 5-10-1 to 8-8. Plus their rankings, Offensively and Defensively, were up across the board.

Is JJ still a player that can put them over the top? Dunno... but AZ's FO seems to think so.

6 hours ago, Bob806 said:

JJ Watt just signed with the Cardinals, 2 years @$31 million. 

Glad that's over. 

i am sure we will never find out (or hey maybe a leak) what we offered But that money seems a bit rich for a ageing player  I wonder what the odds are for how many games watt will play ? i am guessins less than 12

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ATOM said:

i am sure we will never find out (or hey maybe a leak) what we offered But that money seems a bit rich for a ageing player  I wonder what the odds are for how many games watt will play ? i am guessins less than 12

He would be a nice get as a rotational player but agreed... Not at that price...

13 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

My impression as well, but hos statline doesn't support this view...

image.thumb.png.ad49c622a3f73bd43c7fe10a874299f7.png

What we, or at least I, also forget is AZ improved its record last season... from 5-10-1 to 8-8. Plus their rankings, Offensively and Defensively, were up across the board.

Is JJ still a player that can put them over the top? Dunno... but AZ's FO seems to think so.

I can't speak for defense, but you definitely may be right there. The thing about Kyler, though, is that the stats are padded a good bit from first half of season to 2nd half of season. This article speaks to it well: https://apnews.com/article/nfl-seattle-seahawks-new-england-patriots-football-arizona-cardinals-c70809423b944b6773a21c41f05081cc. I'm not suggesting he isn't on the upswing, but I'm going to be really interested to see how he looks this year. There's a lot of evidence to suggest teams started figuring him out a bit.

11 hours ago, nickers said:

He would be a nice get as a rotational player but agreed... Not at that price...

I look at JJ Watt as kind of a Charles Haley, Bruce Smith, or Harvey Martin....DEs who were so physically gifted they had long careers and production. We will see how it goes in Arizona.

Saying that I'm glad the Browns didn't pay him that money. The Browns have some tough choices coming up on players they drafted, spend wisely.

• Upvote 1

I was kinda' hoping we'd get him.  Just because we've got no real replacement for Vernon.  But, the numbers have to line up.  I guess you just can't have a Fearsome Foursome...or Purple People Eaters anymore.  They cost too many NFL credits.  

1 hour ago, Orion said:

I was kinda' hoping we'd get him.  Just because we've got no real replacement for Vernon.  But, the numbers have to line up.   

Many 'fantasy'  Watt to browns offers are beginning to brew.. My only thought was that Berry could only offer Watt a 1 year deal ... Watts guaranteed 23M for 2yrs. was 2 Million more than what Garrett's re-signing bonus was for 💵 🧐. Looks like more Berry, 1 year prove it deals coming? Baker/Ward/Chubb/Teller, all sitting 1 season away..  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Baker/Ward/Chubb/Teller, all sitting 1 season away..  

I've gotta say this, our defense is a much better defense with Ward on the field.  I've said before, I know he gets hurt.  But he gets better.  He's one of the core guys that are a main reason that we now win games.  Baker, Chubb, Ward, Myles, Landry, Hunt....add to that the whole OL, Hooper and OBJ (yes, OBJ).  We kinda' NEED those guys!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orion said:

I've gotta say this, our defense is a much better defense with Ward on the field.  I've said before, I know he gets hurt.  But he gets better.  He's one of the core guys that are a main reason that we now win games.  Baker, Chubb, Ward, Myles, Landry, Hunt....add to that the whole OL, Hooper and OBJ (yes, OBJ).  We kinda' NEED those guys!

The Problem with Ward - how are you paying Baker $$$$ and you have Myles on the Books for $$$$$ and afford anything else? 

Some folks on here think we will not have to pay top 5 type corner money on him.  I disagree.  He’s gonna get paid in an open market. 

If I had it my way I’d beef up the pass rush opposite of Myles and make the pocket unbearable.  

Speculations at there finest before 2022..but that's all we hear anymore anywho..

Your lowest Franchise tag baller is RB- Nick Chubb. 10M.. Once!.... A pair of 5th year options on Ward & Baker (thanks Goff & Wentz)..and If I haven't broke        Unsympathetic cap calculator yet? 

New TV revenue deal's adds to teams cap.. Cap should only go up in 22 from 2021? Richardson's contract should come off the books..And OBJ needs to out produce Landry :rolleyes:... see ya than...it's finally good to have all of these problems :D    

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Orion said:

I was kinda' hoping we'd get him.  Just because we've got no real replacement for Vernon.  But, the numbers have to line up.  I guess you just can't have a Fearsome Foursome...or Purple People Eaters anymore.  They cost too many NFL credits.  

Still doable... SF is an example of that. But you have to "invest" draft capital and then decide who you are going to keep long term.

Draft.... rinse... repeat... ;)

The beauty is that those you let walk bring Compensatory picks your way.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, gumby73 said:

New TV revenue deal's adds to teams cap.. Cap should only go up in 22 from 2021?

This....

2021's shrinking cap is going to be an anomaly. I would not be surprised if its jump from '21 to '22 is huge... coming close to rising as if '21 was a year with a normal increase.

This would put the 2022 Cap somewhere in the high $2-teen-millions.

image.png.67978ab514c1f0853cd40ffb779fdef8.png

image.png.906119e5ed16e011c7d81f6c8509e280.png Data from: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1011083/nfl-salary-cap/

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Still doable... SF is an example of that. But you have to "invest" draft capital and then decide who you are going to keep long term.

Draft.... rinse... repeat... ;)

The beauty is that those you let walk bring Compensatory picks your way.

You could argue our most important players are the draft picks we pick in the next two-three years.  We need to draft productive talent and have them on rookie deals.

Our Cap will be Myles+Baker+Discounts+ring chasers

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

This....

2021's shrinking cap is going to be an anomaly. I would not be surprised if its jump from '21 to '22 is huge... coming close to rising as if '21 was a year with a normal increase.

This would put the 2022 Cap somewhere in the high $2-teen-millions.

image.png.67978ab514c1f0853cd40ffb779fdef8.png

image.png.906119e5ed16e011c7d81f6c8509e280.png Data from: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1011083/nfl-salary-cap/

From my understanding (I know others on here know it better than I) is that the cap the next couple years will be altered by whatever the cap ends up at this year to offset the lower revenue from last year.

Just picking numbers out of the sky, but say the cap is 180 this year, and should be 220 next year. If the revenue/offset from last year was at 160, then over the course of next couple years they will make up that 20 million. So instead of the 220 next year and year after, they would be 210.

Just what I read or saw.